• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Ninjas
Sucker punch
Beautiful visuals, and not supernatural like every samurai game
Akira Kurosawa influence
The soundtrack is already amazing
No waypoints

There hasn't been a Tenchu in awhile
Again Ninjas

its all there. Not sure how they'll do previews now with the pandemic tho

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
We've seen +10 minutes of gameplay and it looks promising.

Plus the presentation and settings are top notch. Sucker Punch can deliver.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
preordered few months ago
so far combat seems kinda basic, but the graphics and art direction is so much up my alley that i'll most likely enjoy this either way

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There is gameplay and it looks fine.

I'm mostly excited because it's a historical Japan setting with AAA open world design. Or at least, that's how it seems. I admit, sometimes I let gameplay slide a bit for a well-realized open world setting... It's the only reason I've enjoyed a few of Rockstar's games. :p Definitely willing to take the plunge on the promise of this setting paired with the apparently high production values going into it.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I want this game to be good and I think it looks beautiful but I can't get more than tentative-hype until I see a gameplay trailer made this year, with HUD. Unless the game is HUD-less, in which I am deeply intrigued.

Odds are good this is great, given all the reasons already hashed out in this thread but I'm happy to keep my enthusiasm in check until I know more about it.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yeah I'm expecting a very 'realistic and cinematic' focus to the gameplay and combat, which doesn't really hit what I want in a game. Sucker Punch is very hit and miss imo. Sly 1 and Infamous 2 are their only great titles.

I do not expect a very in depth, skill based game like Sekiro. If you're here for pretty graphics then enjoy.

Oct 30, 2017
Sly Cooper and Infamous = great history? Come on. They're not From Software. There is plenty of reason to be concerned that we've seen so little gameplay.
Yes.. because all of their games were good and great, what's wrong with Sly and InFamous franchises ?

And why comparing them to FromSoftware?

Both have different style of game designs.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
They probably had to reschedule some things due to coronavirus. And it's not like Sony is able to organise hands-on time with journalists right now...

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The traversal mechanics in their game are some of the best around and they're good devs. I also like their pitch for an open world without waypoints and an emphasis on landmarks to navigate. That being said, I do want to see more gameplay before I lock in a preorder.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm probably not going to get it at launch unless the reception to it is high enough but just being a new Sucker Punch game is good enough for me to give it a go. They've earned that reputation.

Also the gorgeous cinematography.

Sep 28, 2019
I would love a full 12-15 minutes State of play/Direct, showing us how the game will play and what we can do in the world. Would be pretty cool in my opinion.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
they confirmed the option to use japanese audio with english subtitles a while ago
You can play it with Japanese VO.
The game supports english / japanese voice over.

Dub. Their gums will be flapping in English while I hear Japanese in the background. Why the feck would I watch characters flapping in English, with a Japanese dub, but with English subtitles. What tomfoolery.

They ruined what could have been a true to form chanbara experience. But now it is tainted. The depths of depravity.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Dub. Their gums will be flapping in English while I hear Japanese in the background. Why the feck would I watch characters flapping in English, with a Japanese dub, but with English subtitles. What tomfoolery.

They ruined what could have been a true to form chanbara experience. But now it is tainted. The depths of depravity.
judging by the footage from 2018, they either reanimated the mouthflaps specifically for the japanese audio, or they have tech that does so automatically depending on the settings

youtu.be

Ghost of Tsushima sounds so much better in Japanese - Gameplay Walkthrough

Ghost of Tsushima Showcasing Gameplay mechanics and combat system and the japanese dubTwitter: https://twitter.com/KyKiske7About this Channel:Full edited 100...

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that you know how an AC game is going to play? 🤔
More like I have a better idea of the structural changes from stuff like de emphasizing of levels, to alluded gameloop activities like sieges and building up your settlement to gear being unique now instead of attached with random attributes, etc etc etc. It's actually info that is not reliant on previous games at all.
Whereas I don't even know what type of open world I should expect with GoT. Ubisoft type, checklist paradise? Horizon type, smalller more intimate? Witcher 3 type, expansive full of great sidecontent? The only thing that I associate with GoT are Japan and a lot of ??????? regarding anything concerning the actual gameloop.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Its coming out in 2,5 months and i havent seen any actual or proper gameplay footage and mechanics... isnt that strange for a total new IP to follow it blindy... Yet, everyone around me or on social is hyped about it.

what am i missing?
why are people hyped for Elden Ring, we know even less about that one that Tsushima. these games coming from FromSoftware and SuckerPunch matters. these studio have good history of making great games. and sometimes interesting premise/setting/concept is enough to make you pay attention. like Ghostwire Tokyo cg trailer. we know nothing about the gameplay too, but it was a really cool cg trailer.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just got Horizon flashbacks, the concern is real!

And no it won't be another Days Gone situation review wise.

Last edited:

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I just got Hoirzon flashbacks, the concern is real!

And no it won't be another Days Gone situation review wise.

Might be low to mid-80s like Death Stranding if anything. Days Gone's Achilles heel was a combination of derivative open world Ubisoft game design and its poor performance. Doubtful Ghost of Tsushima will encounter those issues.

I do doubt it'll be a runaway hit like Horizon was for a new IP however. Might be a solid foundation to build on though.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Why wouldn't people be hyped? What 1st party Sony game released this generation can be considered bad? All of them have been good to masterpieces in quality.
Also the graphics and setting is a big hook.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you OP, it looks great graphically but I've yet to like any sucker punch games so far so I'm probably gonna wait till its like $20.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Might be low to mid-80s like Death Stranding if anything. Days Gone's Achilles heel was a combination of derivative open world Ubisoft game design and its poor performance. Doubtful Ghost of Tsushima will encounter those issues.

I do doubt it'll be a runaway hit like Horizon was for a new IP however. Might be a solid foundation to build on though.

86-90 is my prediction.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Why wouldn't people be hyped? What 1st party Sony game released this generation can be considered bad? All of them have been good to masterpieces in quality.
Also the graphics and setting is a big hook.

The Order: 1886? While I don't agree with the OP, and see hardly any hype for the game relatively speaking, a new IP is always a risk, (a risk worth taking mind you). The only demo playthrough we saw was nearly 2 years ago, so I can see why some are getting antsy 2 months before launch. Days Gone is the only other new IP that didn't hit Sony's lofty standards.

I do think they should show something and people need to get off Sekiro and Nioh 2's comparison bandwagon. They are all different types of games, especially Ghost of Tsushima.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The Order: 1886? While I don't agree with the OP, and see hardly any hype for the game relatively speaking, a new IP is always a risk, (a risk worth taking mind you). The only demo playthrough we saw was nearly 2 years ago, so I can see why some are getting antsy 2 months before launch. Days Gone is the only other new IP that didn't hit Sony's lofty standards.

I do think they should show something and people need to get off Sekiro and Nioh 2's comparison bandwagon. They are all different types of games, especially Ghost of Tsushima.

Hey 1886 wasn't a bad game. It wasn't great by any means other than graphics but I wouldn't call it bad. I had my fun with it.
Hopefully they start a media push after TLoU2 is released so we can see more gameplay.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I too would like to know more about how the combat actually works. Is it more like Batman/Spiderman? Or Sekiro/Nioh? If it's the former I won't be too interested.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It's Sony first party, looks graphically phenomenal and Sucker Punch is a good developer.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
They're going the Animal Crossing route where they barely reveal anything about the game until a few weeks before release.

Terraforming on Tsushima is going to be crazy.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It looks like sekiro but...with a story and a NORMAL non bullshit difficulty

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I love the setting and it might scratch my Tenchu itch.

I have a launch PS4 but I'm considering upgrading to a Pro for this game since I don't plan on getting the PS5 for a couple years.

Should I do it? Help me decide!

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People claiming they haven't seen gameplay because the UI was turned off. Y'all are ridiculous, lol.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Kind of on the same page with you, OP. Though the game looks great, it has yet to win me over. I thought second son was decent. It was more of a tech show case than anything. The PS3 infamous were much better games.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
What it's going for setting and gameplay wise are looking to be something that's never been done before. Graphically one of the best things we've ever seen too.

Plus it's Sucker Punch. I've loved pretty much all of their games in the last 2 decades, and they're finally given the budget of other top Sony studios.

There's every chance it could still suck, but there's also every reason to be excited for it.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved Infamous: Second San and First Light and before that Sly Cooper, and the things I saw in Ghost of Tsushima looks great too, so my hype is high!

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sucker punch games have great gameplay so no need to worry.
From the gameplay we have seen so far it looks good.

Graphically looks stunning, in a setting we don't get that often, especially in AAA space.

Sony AAA first party mostly delivers.

Jan 10, 2018
I hope it turns out really good but my brain can't really make out what kind of gaming experience it is, for better or worse.

Some people in the thread said it'ts open world yet all the gameplay I've seen points that it has a more linear structure.