• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i'm married so i have no input whatsoever on how our house is decorated. i can and do maintain it exactly as i am told to do so.

honestly, it's better this way than when i was single and had nerdy posters everywhere. i feel more grown up.
Exactly. I had jack shit when I lived alone. And now I have stuff that looks nice.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I guess it gives me some comfort to know that, even if you're lucky and financially well enough to own/rent a place like the ones on that subreddit, society will still find a way to shame you for it.

Makes living in my parents' place with fuck-all space to breath and no hope of moving out any time soon that much more tolerablr.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
c01.jpg

I saw the issue right away. That cable management is garbage

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like selection bias for the sort of people who would post a picture of their living room to reddit for validation.

Same with MaleFashionAdvice. If you actually took random samples of how dudes dress in public you would get wildly different results.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Ummmmm okay I need to write an article by tomorrow.

Ummmmmm

Hmmmmmmm

pulls out hat

Let's see

- Masculinity
- Millennials
- Furniture

"Why the Homes of 30-Something Men All Look the Same"

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what happened to the redditspaces Twitter (which pretty much curated the... "best" of r/malelivingspaces) BTW? It randomly vanished one day.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I looked at the subreddit and really didn't find anything like the article was describing.

Even if that was the case, what is the big deal? Why is a living space devoid of inanimate nic-naks and cheap Target store art an issue?

There's a level of entertainment in looking at bad decoration attempts (or non attempts) and imagining how you'd fix things if you're a visual person or care about this sort of stuff.

The actual subreddit is pretty decent and wholesome which the article touches on a bit, but I was expecting it to be on fire lol.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I actually used to decorate more when I was in my 20s (I'm 34 now). I at least used to paint some accent walls and hang up more framed prints, use rugs, and whatnot. After moving a shit-ton of times, I'm at the point where I'm not bothering until I find a home I plan to live in for several years.

*cut to me never finding such a home*

edit: Yeah, browsing the actual Reddit page, many aren't nearly as bad as what the article describes.

Last edited:

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Single at the moment so i dont see any particular reason to splurge on apartments when I got more important concerns. I tend to be a lot more minimalist anyway so I can say I care about this.

May 24, 2019
I do find the some of the types of rooms shown off on this site to be pretty cold, like they're made to look straight from a catalogue.
I remember a thread where I was trying to dissuade someone from buying a set of framed "artworks" which were three photos of cocktail glasses.

I'd rather see the lamp that isn't matched to the sofa and shoes and boxer shorts strewn about the floor. That's real life! šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree with this sentiment:

It leads to the men of Reddit deciding between simple styling matters like whether to go for the classic oversized Pixar lamp lighting solution in matte grey or glossy black not based on their own preferences, but what will score them the most internet points.

This is something I see cropping up all the time - for living spaces, cars, fashion, food, and other "essentials" - is that there's a certain obligation to care that many people just don't have. But you can't "opt out" of doing it. Like, if you're into video games, you have an internal compass telling you what is and isn't good about games. You know what you're looking for. You know what you get out of the hobby. And if you don't have that internal compass you just... don't play them. There's no obligation to be involved.

But you can't opt out of eating. You can't opt out of having a living space or wearing clothes. So the group that lacks that internal compass and passion is always going to feel somewhat belittled by the group that does - because the people passionate about interior design DO have an informed preference for how things will look.

So for someone like me, that doesn't care about fashion or design, your goals aren't to follow your internal compass, your goal is to not fuck up. Because, when you don't care either way, it's better to be boring than be wrong.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 30 something single, straight, working class and white ... you would not know this looking at my condo

Tbf I had help with an interior designer but she quoted the 'lets make it happen' at 80k so I cribbed her designs and did it myself

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Look, just find a girl as nerdy as you are. It's what I did, and her model kits of Pokemon are great compliments to my model kits of Gundams.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Just go to a craft store and buy a shelf and some glass bottles that you will never use. Done. Now you have an adult house.

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ gamers, bros and all that, but this article is doing a pretty good job at reinforcing the notion I have that interior decoration as its often presented is little more than pretentious, consumerist snobbery.

This is just glorified clickbait so Vice can pay the bills to fund their more serious and educational work, but I think this forum has enough anecdotal life stuff from regular users already.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I imagine the average Era poster's living room looks like:

image0.jpg

it's certainly how mine looks

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
How is this any different from women basing their decors off trendy Pinterest posts? How is it different from following fashion advice? And furthermore, what's wrong with that?

No one is truly unique, and that's not a problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Why does the article's title mention 30-something men when the article itself cites posts from 20-something men? Almost like it's just a lazy and uncompelling cursory summary of a subreddit without any real thought put into the conception or writing of the piece.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
All that decoration is just more crap I have to get rid of when I move. I'd be happier if I had a 100% work from home job and didn't even have to own more than one outfit.

Aurica

éŸ³ę„½ć‚Ŗć‚æć‚Æ - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
All you need is sweet art like me.
tleRKsg.jpg

This painting is in storage in Japan, but I wish I had it up, too:
Eh_gEsjWkAAvKIC

Honestly, all my places always look pretty boring, but that's because I never manage to live somewhere long enough to really put in the time. I moved 10+ times in about 6 years, and I'm moving again this month... I'll likely move again next year, and a number of these moves are international :| So anyway, I don't judge people's places, unless they have trash all over or something. Everyone has different priorities, different comfort levels, and different costs.

Last edited:

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
People are free to decorate their homes how they want, judgment from strangers be damned.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Is this article solely to shit on men, or to look very snobby. Either way they are doing a good job at both.

Also, how do they know these are all straight cis men...holy stereotypes...

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently do i not only have to buy a bunch more shit, I have to come up with my own unique interior decorating style that looks completely different to these perfectly-fine looking spaces on that subreddit? Like fuck off, I don't care that much.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
To be fair, it's not just guys in their 30s who live this way. For instance, my ex-boyfriend was in his early 50s, made well over six figures, and paid no alimony/child support. Yet, his living space wasn't too much more furnished than this:
Although it would've made me very happy to furnish/decorate the place a little for the 1.5 years I lived there, he would never allow me to.

Yes BUY BUY BUY fill up your home with tons of useless shit that you have to carry around when you eventually move.

I'm not sure why we have to shame people for living minimalistic.
This was pretty much his mentality, saying he didn't want to pack in a whole bunch of furniture as he was only planning to live there for a short time while he found more settled lodgings. Over five years later, he's still there.

But I guess whatever makes him happy. Certainly can't relate to it, though. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

P.S.: Please pardon any bitterness that shows through. It's still a work in progress getting my mind in a better place on this issue.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
nothing wrong in focusing in things you care,
very elaborate rooms are also harder to clean and so on.

May 24, 2019
All you need is sweet art like me.
tleRKsg.jpg

This painting is in storage in Japan, but I wish I had it up, too:
Eh_gEsjWkAAvKIC

Honestly, all my places always look pretty boring, but that's because I never manage to live somewhere long enough to really put in the time. I moved 10+ times in about 6 years, and I'm moving again this month... I'll likely move again next year, and a number of these moves are international :| So anyway, I don't judge people's places, unless they have trash all over or something. Everyone has different priorities, different comfort levels, and different costs.

What's in that ceiling hidey hole?

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Single men in their 20/30s usually have to move a lot and don't own property. It ain't that much of a mystery. I know I've given up on accumulating stuff because it's a pain in the ass to move and most the time I have to throw stuff away because it doesn't work in the new place.

Plum

May 31, 2018
How is this any different from women basing their decors off trendy Pinterest posts? How is it different from following fashion advice? And furthermore, what's wrong with that?

No one is truly unique, and that's not a problem.

People gotta feel superior over something, I suppose, and because it's perfectly fine to just make random sweeping statements shaming cis guys (as if being cis or not is in any way apparent from a picture of your room...) for innocent stuff then it's an easy topic to choose.

It's funny because, in terms of actually helping society, we should be praising the kind of guys who don't just treat their houses as rubbish bins and/or fill them with nudes. Hell, the sub-reddit itself is an extremely positive space that is exactly the kind of positive masculinity we need more of.

Instead it's better to shame them into, I don't know, something? Painting a feature wall even though most younger people rent and can't actually do that? Start decorating with unique stuff even though they might not care and/or might want to put up stuff that would get them classed as a 'manchild'? I don't know lol

This honestly has always baffled me much more than the famous 'Iwata Picture Den' room.

1) Why are they using an ancient CRT TV with a HD console and what-looks-to-be high-grade speakers?
2) Why is the TV not raised up on anything? Are they immune to neck strain or something?
3) What is this building? The floor and ceiling are straight out of an industrial estate yet the walls and the wood suggest a cabin in a forest
4) Why is there so much wood for a place with no visible fire that seems to be underground?

I just don't get it to be quite honest.

Aurica

éŸ³ę„½ć‚Ŗć‚æć‚Æ - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This honestly has always baffled me much more than the famous 'Iwata Picture Den' room.

1) Why are they using an ancient CRT TV with a HD console and what-looks-to-be high-grade speakers?
2) Why is the TV not raised up on anything? Are they immune to neck strain or something?
3) What is this building? The floor and ceiling are straight out of an industrial estate yet the walls and the wood suggest a cabin in a forest
4) Why is there so much wood for a place with no visible fire that seems to be underground?

I have similar questions about it! It looks incredibly uncomfortable to look at a TV like that. I always thought it was a cabin, but I've started to think it's just a basement, so the fireplace may be upstairs.
What's in that ceiling hidey hole?
It's for you.
Just storage. I have all my instrument cases up there, mostly, since the opposite wall has this:
Eg78EZiVgAAE-Fk

The walls were more interesting colors a few weeks ago, but I'm moving out, so I repainted them all.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's not like basicness doesn't transcend gender. "Home is where the heart is" pillows and whatnot.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I guess mine doesn't look like that because I have no intention or desire to ever bring a potential mate back here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Was it Dave Chappelle who had a stand up about how most men would pretty much live in the trunk of their car, if they weren't trying to attract women?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

I think this picture was actually a joke, similar to the Iwata pic (which was made by Seanbaby IIRC).