• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I tracked the actual difference in cost between the PC and PS4 versions of games that I bought over a period of three years starting late 2013. I was going to do a more serious writeup about it, but it never happened. There are a lot of footnotes, but basically over three years (25 titles) it came out to a savings north of 400 USD (avg. ~18USD/title).

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Interesting (if the OP is indeed serious) - I consider console gaming to be a much cheaper option, due to the fact that I can buy second hand games (no need to buy GTA V for 40 eur when I can find a second hand physical copy for like 15), and also I can resell finished games, so some once-and-done games actually don't cost me anything (or the price of a good coffee).

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting (if the OP is indeed serious) - I consider console gaming to be a much cheaper option, due to the fact that I can buy second hand games (no need to buy GTA V for 40 eur when I can find a second hand physical copy for like 15), and also I can resell finished games, so some once-and-done games actually don't cost me anything (or the price of a good coffee).

Sure, but as the OP said, he can get GTA V for 8 without worrying if the disc works. And although you can't resell it, you'd probably won't get that much back in your investment to only lose 8 on it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sure, but as the OP said, he can get GTA V for 8 without worrying if the disc works. And although you can't resell it, you'd probably won't get that much back in your investment to only lose 8 on it.

That's true, and while it's a risk that a second hand game might not work, it has never personally happened to me.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the prices for games on PS4 also might be lower if the console were backwards compatible with PS3, PS2, and PS1. Seems like whenever a console comes out some people are desperate to play games on it.

GTA5 is currently 15 Euro on Steam. According to SteamDB it's been going on sale for 15 regularly since December. Dunno how that compares to prices on PS3/4/etc.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Switch/Nintendo users have it the worst. 1st party games and even 3rd party ports, all at full price, they're rarely go on sale. Doom 2016 can be found for less than $20 on PS4/X1 and muuuuuch less on PC, but on the Switch it barely drops from $50.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I ain't gonna front, I didn't know either. I'm about to build my PC so this just gives me more incentive.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
All depends what you're looking for.

Basic 1080p 60fps machine is pretty damn cheap. A monster 1440p 144hz gsync rgb'ed mech keyboard'd and TOTL mouse system is very expensive.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I honestly envy anyone who hasn't had to see the "our lord and savior gabe newell" memes that coincided with steam seasonal sales

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It also helps you can usually find pre-order keys for like 38$ the day before release for triple A $60 games.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh wow, how are those Metal Gear games so expensive. 20€ for Revengeance and 30€ for Phantom Pain without discounts in my region.

But yeah, PC is cheaper. Even sticking to just Steam is cheaper than consoles. It was year or two ago when I compared Steam Summer sales to PSN sale prices at the same time (that required paid subscription), and almost all games I picked for comparison were cheaper on Steam, only one or two exceptions and few were the same price. Should have done similar comparison this year too, as I still don't believe when people claim PSN sales are as good or even better.

Edit: It was during 2017 Steam Summer Sale and I compared those to PSN double discount prices.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is listed and inexplicably dismissed every single time it can possibly come up. If you can afford the start up cost, which isn't really greater than consoles anymore, it's just plain a better way to game.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Oh wow, how are those Metal Gear games so expensive. 20€ for Revengeance and 30€ for Phantom Pain without discounts in my region.

But yeah, PC is cheaper. Even sticking to just Steam is cheaper than consoles. It was year or two ago when I compared Steam Summer sales to PSN summer sale prices (that required paid subscription), and almost all games I picked for comparison were cheaper on Steam, only one or two exceptions. Should have done similar comparison this year too, as I still don't believe when people claim PSN sales are as good or even better.
I really have no clue, my region is the one that has has the highest prices for every MGS game according to SteamDB. Survive is $70 lol

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That's why I only buy exclusives for consoles, I never support third party on a console if the game is on PC, it is really not worth to pay 60 USD plus all the extra taxes locally, than buying a regional priced PC game.

So for exclusives I do pay the markup price, but only for those.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Constant PSN sales have significantly eroded this advantage for me, at least when comparing Spanish prices.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is the reason I have bought most third party games on PC, it is just cheaper than consoles (especially in Canada).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yep, most games in sale on PSN/Live I can buy on Steam for less without sales.

With sales is just ridiculous.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
There are a lot of folks who don't know that PC gaming is much, much cheaper than console gaming. The sticker shock of pre-built gaming PCs seems like a huge initial investment, but the savings in the long term are nuts.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea games are dead ass cheap on pc thanks to steam sales, egs, twitch prime and humble bundle.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
You should be checking https://isthereanydeal.com/ but it sounds like you already have some good regional pricing. But in the US, you need to buy from GMG or another similar store front to get a decent deal on new releases, ie, 12-30% off (usually 15-20%). Humble Bundle has even gotten in on the action with 15-20% discounts if you subscribe to their monthly bundle which also tends to have a few really awesome games for $12 a month.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
People have been saying this for years, but it gets drowned out by the fact that this is a console-centric forum.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There are a lot of folks who don't know that PC gaming is much, much cheaper than console gaming. The sticker shock of pre-built gaming PCs seems like a huge initial investment, but the savings in the long term are nuts.

Doubly-so if you're not, like, trading in your consoles -- sure, you can trade up your PS3 for a PS4, but then there you go re-buying the remake of the game you liked if you want to go back to playing it again. And that's just the previous generation, good luck with stuff even older than that.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
All depends what you're looking for.

Basic 1080p 60fps machine is pretty damn cheap. A monster 1440p 144hz gsync rgb'ed mech keyboard'd and TOTL mouse system is very expensive.
Isn't that the beauty of PC? You can spend as little or as much as you like. And you can spend more on the areas that matter to you, should that be a RGB keyboard rather than high end GPU for example.

And yes, being a 100% digital gamer, and having switched to PC from consoles this year at my primary platform, it's definitely cheaper for buying games. Not just Steam prices but even bigger discounts again on third party sites, even for pre-orders.

One example is Doom Eternal digital for ÂŁ29.99 (CD Keys) on PC, compared to a whopping ÂŁ54.99 digital on PS4/XBO!

And then there's all the bundle sites like Humble, subscription services like Origin Access, UPlay+, and of course Game Pass now on PC too.

And that's not all. EGS is giving amazing games away literally for free every week of this year.

And you don't need to pay for online play on PC.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Yup also no subscription needed to play most games online. Over a generation that can add up to a few hundred dollars if you like multiplayer.

I'm very tempted to get back into PC gaming within the next couple years.

Nekro

Oct 30, 2017
PC gaming is a lot cheaper than console gaming if you dont buy used and sell games. Even if you buy used and sell games its cheaper. You might pay 200-300€ more upfront for a "beefy PC" (you can always get a cheaper one at +100-200€) but you save money on every single purchase.

When you taking into account that you dont need to pay for an online sub the savings become huge. Sure PS+ etc give you some games but they are not always ones you might want, with the money you spent spent on the online sub you can buy the games you want.

The only way you wont save money is you buy 1 game per year or something.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You just opened the pandora box and one step closer to being a "console hater". Turn around while you can

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, i feel like suggesting such a thing here could get you a warning for console warring. But i made a topic few months ago telling everyone that there is not even a point in still paying for games, since ther are so many giveways that you never run out of games to play at this point.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I gotta disagree, it is cheaper if you live in a low income region (India, Russia etc.) where steam sells games at a way lower price. In the US it's cheaper to buy console games (at least with GCU) since PC games hardly have physical releases anymore and are only sold full price digitally. (Obviously there are key re-seller sites, but I think we're talking about official channels right now).

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's top-secret that PC gaming is much cheaper. Remember to never talk to anyone else about that topic!

Btw, anyone have suggestions for a 1080 60fps machine? My father is upgrading his really old PC
Get something like a Intel i5-6600k and a GTX 1060 with 6gb vram. Add 8gb ram and a 256 or 512gb SSD. These are your core components for $500 or something. Complete the setup with a cheap mainboard, some mediocre PSU, a cheap tower, a cheap hdd with 1 or 2tb and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The main problem with PC is that the upfront cost can be a lot larger depending on where you live. In Brazil building a gaming PC that can run most triple A games at 1080/60fps medium/high settings costs like 2 and half minimum wage salaries or maybe a bit more than that assuming you buy all the parts new (and the used market isn't that much help, sometimes older outdated parts are MORE expensive than newer ones believe it or not). The one I'm planning on building will take me until around january/february to have the required cash.

Once you get past that hurdle yeah the games themselves are frequently quite a bit cheaper.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
These days in Australia it can actually quite a lot cheaper to buy console games day 1 than PC games for new releases. Sekiro was a recent example... $60 AUD day 1 console, and the cheapest digital PC copy was $80 AUD. But, I don't expect that to last forever with consoles there's just a retailer war going on that I'll gladly reap the benefits from.

Historically, yeah PC game prices are generally cheaper. I miss the glory days where every game could be had for under $40 US (which at the time was $40 AUD) using Green Man coupons.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
The main problem with PC is that the upfront cost can be a lot larger depending on where you live. In Brazil building a gaming PC that can run most triple A games at 1080/60fps medium/high settings costs like 2 and half minimum wage salaries or maybe a bit more than that assuming you buy all the parts new (and the used market isn't that much help, sometimes older outdated parts are MORE expensive than newer ones believe it or not). The one I'm planning on building will take me until around january/february to have the required cash.

Once you get past that hurdle yeah the games themselves are frequently quite a bit cheaper.
Aren't consoles extremely expensive as well?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, anyone have suggestions for a 1080 60fps machine? My father is upgrading his really old PC

On the cheap, a Ryzen 3400G will do the trick.

If you want something with (a lot) more oomph to it, you could go 3600 and GTX 1660 Ti.

PC gaming hardware is still expensive as hell and can't compare to consoles. But a 3600 and GTX 1660 Ti will not limit you at all at 1080p.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I only discovered this like 18 months ago OP, lol you're in good company.

Indies especially too. Really cheap.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Steam's regional pricing makes a lot of PC games much cheaper than their console's counterpart in many countries.