• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
PC version will be the version I pick up. Don't let me down modders!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how reactions to the game alternate between "Why does it look so easy?" and "Why isn't every blow landed a one-shit kill/dismemberment?"

The realistic saber combat in Jedi Knight was a fun goof, but I don't know if you really want to play a whole game like that.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
ponda-baba-arm.jpg
Thank you for the correct first post.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
This is honestly a non-issue for me. I wouldn't care either way. I definitely see the value in keeping dismemberment out, and I think it outweighs basically any amount of "it looks cool" or "it's what lightsabers would actually do" arguments.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
LucasArts? In a new sense? Because Kotor had it, Jedi knight, and Force Unleashed 2 all had it. Which were all LucasArts.

Edit: Kotor may not have had it. I can't remember exactly.

None of these games had dismemberment of non-droid characters in them, what the fuck are you people talking about? Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy only had it if you used codes to activate it, it was not a default or publicized feature and was not in the console versions of the games.

There's no human dismemberment in Jedi: Fallen Order because they don't want a mass market Star Wars game to be rated M, because no Star Wars game is rated M. Anyone expecting to chop people up in this game has no sense of the history of Star Wars games and how they treat lightsaber damage. It was never, ever going to happen.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
None of these games had dismemberment of non-droid characters in them, what the fuck are you people talking about? Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy only had it if you used codes to activate it, it was not a default or publicized feature and was not in the console versions of the games.

So basically Jedi Outcast and Academy had it then. Cheat code or not.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If they want to make the lightsabers not seem like baseball bats then dismemberment is a good place to start. But I get why it isn't in.

For Honor's lightsaber event will be the best lightsaber game this gen I guess.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
So basically Jedi Outcast and Academy had it then. Cheat code or not.

Only on PC with a console cheat code that was not supported by Lucasarts and was not available in the other versions of the game, because it's not intended as the way to play it. No Star Wars game has ever had dismemberment of human beings in it. It's a bizarre thing to expect in a Star Wars game, if only because it's not even true to the movies. Yeah, a couple people lose hands at key thematic moments, but when Luke cuts his way through Jabba's guards not a single limb goes flying because it's a space wizard movie for children.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Only on PC with a console cheat code that was not supported by Lucasarts and was not available in the other versions of the game, because it's not intended as the way to play it.

They're not console games. Jedi Outcast and Academy were PC games which had a port here and there later because they were succesfull on pc. Dont dimiss them. Those two games had it

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I consumed alot of brutally violent media when i was a kid. It was excellent. All my favorite stuff, really. Some was a little extra fucked up. Like robocop. That was a rough one. But how else is a 7 year old going to learn what a mounted machine gun will do to a mans body.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's no human dismemberment in Jedi: Fallen Order because they don't want a mass market Star Wars game to be rated M, because no Star Wars game is rated M. Anyone expecting to chop people up in this game has no sense of the history of Star Wars games and how they treat lightsaber damage. It was never, ever going to happen.
Force unleashed 2 absolutely has it while maintaining a teen rating.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The article actually states it's been a long policy in Lucasfilm to always be careful with showing dismemberment, not something new to Disney, and it's obviously not completely prohibited. They find creative ways to keep it PG-13 or limit it to one or two instances.

I mean, a lot of people here already mentioned Snoke cut in half in TLJ. There's also some cutting in Solo and Rogue One.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm good either way, but citing this as a reason not to buy is laughable.
I mean, would the absence of dismemberment in Sekiro be a reason not to buy for those people? Or is that different because this is Star Wars and there has to be a reason to bitch about it?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Lame, but I understand it. Hopefully you can tactically take apart the non humanoids and it isn't just random chance.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Such a shame. It just doesn't look right without it.

I think the cauterised slash marks do an adequate job of translating the deadly power of the lightsaber. This is pretty much what the films do outside of the big moments. Anakin killing the separatists was exactly like that gif except for the bugs and droids he chopped in half.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jedi Academy literally had a option for it on its menu. No codes or mods needed.