• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's some stuff in the game that's legitimately interesting with regards to cultural imperialism of languages (eg. all programming languages default to English). Its something interesting that isn't really tackled on in any form of media.
Yeah, I really wish the game had executed that plot better, because the potential was amazing.

Ignacious

Dec 17, 2017
WetCommonGermanpinscher-size_restricted.gif

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So does that mean that Ibaraki and other backwater areas of Japan are more at risk of COVID-19 from all of their だっぺ-ing all over the place

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I mean... Yeah, when a language request to "stick out" your tongue through your teeth all the fucking time, one would expect that there's more droplets going out of your mouths (and it's so awkward to do for me). And the "P" in english tend to be explosive so more air is expected doing so.

So not that surprised, some languages move more air and spit than others.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Yeah, when a language request to "stick out" your tongue through your teeth all the fucking time, one would expect that there's more droplets going out of your mouths (and it's so awkward to do for me). And the "P" in english tend to be explosive so more air is expected doing so.

So not that surprised, some languages move more air and spit than others.
What now?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The TH sound. Like teeth or the or theory.

It's not an easy sound for a lot of non English speakers to replicate.
Yeah that's a difficult one to learn for a second language. Typologically pretty uncommon too. However it's not something that is proposed to lead to a high amount of corona aerosoles, and if you're doing it right, there shouldn't be spit flying.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
I would advice people to check out the journal this study was published in... It's not actually a properly peer-reviewed scientific journal.

The publication of papers on AIDS denialism[6][7][8] led to calls to remove it from PubMed, the United States National Library of Medicine online journal database.[7] Following the AIDS papers controversy, Elsevier forced a change in the journal's leadership. In June 2010, Elsevier announced that "Submitted manuscripts will be reviewed by the Editor and external reviewers to ensure their scientific merit".[9] The journal remains not peer reviewed in the conventional sense—the editor called it "not a classical peer review system. I call it a Medical Hypotheses custom-made review system."[2]

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i thought about this months ago, maybe Finland didn't get hit too hard because many of us avoid talking and if we talk we speak quietly, and our language isn't very "spitty".

i also thought about Thailand, isnt their language very lacking in spitty sounds? (really not an expert though lol) and their infection rates have stayed minimal... hmmm.

i did study phonetics and linguistics back in the day and from what i remember air flow was really different between English and Finnish. hmm hmm.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until is peer reviewed just because it say research don't mean much. Most of the research don't lead to anything.

Aussie, NZ and Singapore speak English, no need to find fancy reason(or excuse) for the state of the coronavirus pandemic when they most likely one will do.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
...you have to be shitting me. Is Kojima actually right about fucking everything?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Goddamn I told ya'll the only interesting part of MGSV was Skull Face's "not so nonsense now huh", plan.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Eu não posso dizer disso. 👀

"Eu não consigo dizer isso".

Posso (poder) implies authorization to some degree. If you say "Não posso abrir a porta", it doesn't mean that you can't because of physical inability, but rather because of some instruction preventing you.
Consigo (conseguir) implies actual ability. "Não consigo abrir a porta" means you can't physically open it.

Makes sense?

On-topic: This does not bode well for the US/UK.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I will go with the theory that there are group of people that like to talk loud or usually angry :P