• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
On a more serious note - I'd like Sony to have an answer to Gamepass. I'd love for Nintendo to have an answer to Gamepass.

But I also recognize that they might not. I want Gamepass's success to put pressure on Sony/Nintendo for them to improve their subscription-based offerings, and I'd love it if it extended to basically having an extremely competitive offering, but no other content streaming service is Netflix. Apple TV+ isn't. Disney+ isn't. Prime isn't. HBO isnt'.

Maybe Gamepass is the only service of its kind to be able to do what it's doing. And in that case, I'll sub to Gamepass once I feel it's within my needs. And also still buy products from Sony or Nintendo that I find appealing, even with the absence of a subscription model from them.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Well I don't know if you even read the whole thing, but it's more about comparing XGS games to Sony's first party. Of course MS is playing the long game and will invest heavily in Game Pass, but to have a similar budget for every first party game as Sony probably has, with a much smaller revenue stream is inherently impossible and would result in a loss that would definitely go way overboard of what Netflix and Spotify are racking.

There would need to be MTX, just smaller games compared to PlayStation Studios or price hikes if the subscriber numbers don't go way up. We're already seeing that many MS games have GAAS elements and MTX, with Infinite multiplayer basically being the latest.

Netflix and Spotify are still at a situation where they both will probably need to raise prices. Netflix has raised prices several times, but there's talk all the time that investors are demanding them to raise prices even more. The growth in subscribers has not yet generated enough revenue for Netflix to cover the costs in content spending.

We'll need to see what comes out in 2022 onwards really. If what Microsoft and the creators have been saying about getting creative control is true, then whatever does come along will be part of the creative vision, so I wouldn't expect this to be quite as GaaS/MTX as you do.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
From a consumer perspective let's take a look at the AAA games each company released since GP launch :

- Sony : Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us II, Death Stranding, Spider Man, God of War, Detroit and if you want to count Uncharted The Lost Legacy. That makes 7 games single player oriented with the majority of them SP only. Then you have GTS a MP GaaS title.

- MS : Gears 5, FH4, Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves, FM7 and if you want to count Gears Tatics and Crackdown 3.That makes 7 games with 6 of them being MP GaaS oriented games.

On top of that on Sony's list you have 2, with the chances of them getting a third this year, GOTYs from their respective years and also GOTY contenders. On the other hand on MS list you have 0 GOTYs with one title being a GOTY contender.

I think it's not so hard to understand why some people prefer Sony's offerings even tho GP offers a good 'value' per buck.
I know that MS has acquired a lot of studios since GP release so we still need to see the result of this acquisitions but until those doesn't come out and until we don't have info about what will they be it's easy to see why some people prefer Sony offerings.

Bonus Round :
Let's take a look the games announced for both PS5 and Xbox from their own studios for their first year into next gen :
- Sony has : Miles Morales, Demons Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon and God of War. All single player focused experiences.
- MS has : Halo Infinite. A 10 year GaaS platform.
And should MS come through with only half of the new studios they've built, that will up Game Pass' worth considerably. They are working towards something they have fumbled with since around 2010. If they get that right and Sony doesn't try to compete...I don't know that things will stay this way. The price of games had to go up, I guess. Will people want to be there day one for every one of them? Time will tell.

Meanwhile whatever MS puts out will still have these compelling deals, along with any new first party title in the pipeline day one. I really don't think Sony should be resting on their laurels. Nintendo seems to be the only one who can dance to an entirely different tune and get away with it.

Joo

May 25, 2018
We'll need to see what comes out in 2022 onwards really. If what Microsoft and the creators have been saying about getting creative control is true, then whatever does come along will be part of the creative vision, so I wouldn't expect this to be quite as GaaS/MTX as you do.
That's definitely true, and this is just pure speculation based on very limited info we have.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The GP model would have more of an impact if the new "must-have" content was there to back it up. There is a lot of value in there, but PS5 won't have a problem selling with the exclusive content it's packing in its first year and beyond. Once they've exhausted traditional sales then they'll consider adding it to their PS Now library but day one releases don't make sense.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand it either. Why can't the companies do their own things? Microsoft found a great way to get people into their platform and ecosystem with game pass. It seems to be working great for them. On the other hand, Sony's exclusives sell like crazy. They don't need a game pass.

Like, they're allowed to do different things, people.

Sony is allowed to do what they want, it's like Blockbuster back when Netflix started streaming. Blockbusters movie rentals made crazy money they did not need a streaming service. People said like, they are allowed to do different things, people, however, the public wanted streaming not rentals. Work out great for them, and for Sony's Blue-ray division to boot.

When we start to get faster internet speeds people will change in the way they consumer games, the same way we have changed in how we listen to music or watch movies and tv. If Sony does not have an answer to this just ask Blockbusters.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
If you ask me, Sony doesn't need an answer to Gamepass, Microsoft needs an answer to Sony.

I mean, they have it. On day 1, you can either go out and buy the new AAA Microsoft game for 60 bucks. Or you can get it on your Game Pass subscription.

Sony doesn't provide you with options and, from a consumer standpoint, that's bad.

Mar 8, 2018
Sony might need "an answer" to GamePass at some point in the future because there is a risk that PlayStation as a platform ends up on an island of its own with very little utility to users outside of the living room.

I think there's a slight misunderstanding of MS's strategy here. Microsoft isn't just trying to become "the Netflix of games." They're trying to become the first platform that actually unifies the three traditional gaming markets: PC enthusiasts, living rooms, and handheld/mobile. They want to be the Uber-Steam basically. GamePass and xCloud are central to that, because it ensures you at least have a baseline library and consistent experience regardless of what device you're playing on.

Let's say you're a mobile player who gets hooked on xCloud because it gives you big experiences on the go. If you want to play on your living room display with no latency, well the console is there for you, and there's even a more affordable option. Or maybe you decide to build a PC for the ultimate performance. Your progress and library carry over in either case, and GamePass is the connecting tissue that binds your devices together.

So maybe some people skip the console initially in favor of whatever platform. But Microsoft is perfectly fine with that because (1) you're still paying a subscription, and (2) once you're invested in the platform, you're more likely to keep using it when your primary use case changes.

Microsoft is not trying to get you to buy a console because it's exclusive and unique. In fact, making the console into a console-only experience would be counter to this strategy. They're trying to get you to buy a console because it's open and compatible, and you need a different form factor. It's a gamble, and we'll see if it pays off.

The upshot for Sony is that they're walking down a tried and true path that has turned massive profit time and again. Make big exclusive games, market them well, and make your console the only place you can play them. This probably still works going forward.

The risk for Sony without a GamePass answer is that people might find that Playstation doesn't offer them much outside of the living room. It doesn't unify their devices. It's not broadly compatible. They might go from an "exclusive" platform to an "exclusionary" one. And if Microsoft convinces people that Xbox as a total ecosystem has so much utility, well that might even outweigh the strength of Sony's exclusives. Because what is a couple of games next to the ability to play my whole library across phone, living room, and PC with total cross progression and cross play between devices?

Of course, Sony could easily be correct, and the old strategy is still the best strategy going forward. Microsoft could flame out. We'll have to wait and see.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people forget PSNow is a thing. If you want a game pass like service on PlayStation then sub to PSNow or something

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The funniest thing about all these threads about how Sony's games are such uniquely beautiful, bold cinematic experiences that Gamepass would be super dumb for them is that if (when) they finally announce a Gamepass equivalent, the news will be received with thunderous applause and lauded as the smartest decision they ever made.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony already has a gamepass style service with PSNow. They just need to support it and market it better.

Sure don't add your games to it right away like MS is doing, but add it later after release, make them downloadable and get the streaming to be a lot better.

I will not be buying any game unless it's TLOU2 quality for $100.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think people are making a false correlation between the quality of MS first party output and the existence of Game Pass. MS has had a problem all generation, it has nothing to do with Game Pass. They will continue to have problems until their investments bare fruit.

That said, i don't believe that Sony needs to compete with GamePass and they can easily do so when the time comes. I do, however, believe that strength of Sony first party would lead to a higher attach ratio. Combined with a larger user base, a Game Pass like service from Sony does not seem like the worst business plan long term, it would negatively affect near term profits though.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Why do people forget PSNow is a thing. If you want a game pass like service on PlayStation then sub to PSNow or something

The thing with Game Pass is it offers new games while people are still talking about them, and not just Microsoft stuff either, indie titles too. That's what makes it such an interesting proposition, the fact that I can hear John Linneman and Rich Leadbetter bang on about how great the Xbox port of the Touryst is, download it on Game Pass and try it out for myself.

The newness of the content on GP is a key part of its appeal.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Sony might need "an answer" to GamePass at some point in the future because there is a risk that PlayStation as a platform ends up on an island of its own with very little utility to users outside of the living room.

I think there's a slight misunderstanding of MS's strategy here. Microsoft isn't just trying to become "the Netflix of games." They're trying to become the first platform that actually unifies the three traditional gaming markets: PC enthusiasts, living rooms, and handheld/mobile. They want to be the Uber-Steam basically. GamePass and xCloud are central to that, because it ensures you at least have a baseline library and consistent experience regardless of what device you're playing on.

Let's say you're a mobile player who gets hooked on xCloud because it gives you big experiences on the go. If you want to play on your living room display with no latency, well the console is there for you, and there's even a more affordable option. Or maybe you decide to build a PC for the ultimate performance. Your progress and library carry over in either case, and GamePass is the connecting tissue that binds your devices together.

So maybe some people skip the console initially in favor of whatever platform. But Microsoft is perfectly fine with that because (1) you're still paying a subscription, and (2) once you're invested in the platform, you're more likely to keep using it when your primary use case changes.

Microsoft is not trying to get you to buy a console because it's exclusive and unique. In fact, making the console into a console-only experience would be counter to this strategy. They're trying to get you to buy a console because it's open and compatible, and you need a different form factor. It's a gamble, and we'll see if it pays off.

The upshot for Sony is that they're walking down a tried and true path that has turned massive profit time and again. Make big exclusive games, market them well, and make your console the only place you can play them. This probably still works going forward.

The risk for Sony without a GamePass answer is that people might find that Playstation doesn't offer them much outside of the living room. It doesn't unify their devices. It's not broadly compatible. They might go from an "exclusive" platform to an "exclusionary" one. And if Microsoft convinces people that Xbox as a total ecosystem has so much utility, well that might even outweigh the strength of Sony's exclusives. Because what is a couple of games next to the ability to play my whole library across phone, living room, and PC with total cross progression and cross play between devices?

Of course, Sony could easily be correct, and the old strategy is still the best strategy going forward. Microsoft could flame out. We'll have to wait and see.

TBH, Microsoft is likely gives no shit about Game Pass being profitable or not. Their aim is to beat the competition, reel them in and then the money will start coming, they're taking advantage of the fact that Xbox only needs to be profitable to cover the cost, whereas Sony, who needs the PlayStation to be profitable, can't afford to offer a similar service for the same price, because they need the PS to make a profit to survive.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Selling 1st party games day with millions of units at full price makes a ton of money.

The jury on Gamepass making any money is still out, let alone making a ton of money. And if they claim it does i want to see the receipts.

So i think, no they don't.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
So this is something I've noticed quite a lot on this forum and on social media etc; "Sony needs an answer to Gamepass"

Why? They're about to end one of their most successful generations where they sold another 100m plus consoles. Their first party games are regularly selling over 10m and some are even pushing 20m, so why exactly do they need an "answer" to Gamepass?

Gamepass has been around for almost three years now and in that time what proof do we have that it's a system seller? The Xbox One is still trailing the PS4 in US and UK and it's pretty much a non factor in the rest of the world. PS4 has actually significantly widened its lead over the Xbox worldwide in the last three years.

Is Gamepass the future of gaming? Maybe, but absolutely nobody knows. What we do know now is that Sony style AAA highly polished exclusive games sell systems and sell very well and will continue do so. If you ask me, Sony doesn't need an answer to Gamepass, Microsoft needs an answer to Sony.

It's because most people on this forum live in a bubble.

Anecdotally, no one in my gaming circle subscribes to Gamepass or cares about it. Many haven't even heard of it.

On the other hand, a few casual friends of mine have mentioned being excited to play Spider-Man Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima so take that as you will.

Games move consoles. "Value" and being "Consumer Friendly" does not.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I think a Sony Game Pass is a great concept, but I struggle to fully believe that it would be a quality service--or at least at the quality Sony produced this/last generation. Other than MSFS2020 and arguably FH4, I cannot think of one Microsoft first party game that approaches Sony's first party quality while also being specifically developed with Game Pass in mind.

That's not to say there aren't great games on there, including games published by Microsoft. But I think I'd need to see more games developed by Microsoft first party studios and developed specifically for Game Pass before really beating the Sony Game Pass drum.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
The key part missing from their service is day one exclusives being a part of it. I'm not sure about the general population but I've seen a lot of folks on here say they aren't going to be purchasing games until they are deeply on sale. That could be a problem for Sony. Microsoft could raise their prices but just say "Look 15$ a month, and you can play these games day one." Sony can't do that, and that could turn people off.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
It's because most people on this forum live in a bubble.

Anecdotally, no one in my gaming circle subscribes to Gamepass or cares about it. Many haven't even heard of it.

On the other hand, a few casual friends of mine have mentioned being excited to play Spider-Man Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima so take that as you will.

Games move consoles. "Value" and being "Consumer Friendly" does not.

Anecdotally, game pass plus the cheap price of the S has convinced several of the people in my gaming circle who skipped the XBO to pick up an Xbox next gen.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, I'll be buying the console that they're taking a financial hit to sell, then seek out games secondhand.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think a Sony Game Pass is a great concept, but I struggle to fully believe that it would be a quality service--or at least at the quality Sony produced this/last generation. Other than MSFS2020 and arguably FH4, I cannot think of one Microsoft first party game that approaches Sony's first party quality while also being specifically developed with Game Pass in mind.

That's not to say there aren't great games on there, including games published by Microsoft. But I think I'd need to see more games developed by Microsoft first party studios and developed specifically for Game Pass before really beating the Sony Game Pass drum.

What does developed for Game Pass mean?

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Given the public response, I believe people enjoy more having a library of games at a smaller cost per month, even if it means not giving away the curation of this library to a third-party. It's a false sense of saving money, since paying 15 per month for 7 years isn't exactly cheap in the long run, but it works well with how our minds perceived things.

When Sony doesn't respond to this, they might get way behind in the game.

I honestly believe that Sony will answer to Game Pass if they need, but right now they're willing to take the risk and see how well it will work for Microsoft.

In any case, the high quality of PlayStation Studios games might get them an edge, so even if consumers mass adopt Game Pass and it becomes the new normal, people will still be interested in a Sony equivalent service, just to play their first-party output (just like it happens with HBO on TV).

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ask yourself would you want a gamepass service on playstation?

Sony may think not but I don't see why a consumer would celebrate that.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
And should MS come through with only half of the new studios they've built, that will up Game Pass' worth considerably. They are working towards something they have fumbled with since around 2010. If they get that right and Sony doesn't try to compete...I don't know that things will stay this way. The price of games had to go up, I guess. Will people want to be there day one for every one of them? Time will tell.

Meanwhile whatever MS puts out will still have these compelling deals, along with any new first party title in the pipeline day one. I really don't think Sony should be resting on their laurels. Nintendo seems to be the only one who can dance to an entirely different tune and get away with it.

I agree with you.
But as long as MS studios doesn´t match the kind/quantity/quality of Sony games is hard to tell if this business model is indeed sustainable for them.
If MS shows that it is them they will definetely need to shake things up.
On the other hand if MS doesn´t you can be sure that the market that look for the experiences that Sony delivers will stay with Sony.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What does developed for Game Pass mean?

It means a game developed by Microsoft and its first parties with Game Pass being, at all times during development, a vehicle for delivery and shipment. I want to see what the quality looks like when Game Pass is a consideration throughout the entirety of development.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Given the public response, I believe people enjoy more having a library of games at a smaller cost per month, even if it means not giving away the curation of this library to a third-party.

When Sony doesn't respond to this, they might get way behind in the game.

I honestly believe that Sony will answer to Game Pass if they need, but right now they're willing to risk and see how well it will work for Microsoft.

In any case, the high quality of PlayStation Studios games might get them an edge over Microsoft, so even if consumers mass adopt Game Pass and it becomes the new normal, people will still be interested in a Sony equivalent service, just to play their first-party output (just like it happens with HBO on TV).

What public response ?
Sony AAA titles has more units sold than MS has subscribers.
3P AAA titles has more units sold than MS has subscribers.
So far the public response is "we don´t care to pay more for great games".
That doesn´t mean that MS can´t find, or isn´t finding, success with their business model but so far the majority of gaming consumers still prefer buying, owning and choosing their own games instead of getting access to what MS is offering in a lot of different devices.
Of course things can change, and I believe that to some extent they will change but not like people expect, but we are yet to see if this business model can even be as successful as the traditional one.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Sony should be careful about this. First parties on day one in such a service could be seen as a predatory practice against third parties. Once there's enough "value" to get the service as a no-brainer, a majority of gamers subscribe for the first parties value, it creates a situation where a third party making a game similar to any first party will not sell, the FP are already paid for at $120/year, it's an all or nothing proposition. Try selling any racing game to someone already getting Gran Turismo for free.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Sony has it right. They need to keep the quality of their games incredibly high.

I understand where they're coming from but their first party titles have been on sale for incredibly cheap, less than $15 at times even with DLC. Not to mention the fact that they are pretty much giving away all they're first party slate, sans games released in the last year, for free when you get a PS5.

I don't see how they can't also add those games to PS Now and drive up subscriptions to the service.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
It means a game developed by Microsoft and its first parties with Game Pass being, at all times during development, a vehicle for delivery and shipment. I want to see what the quality looks like when Game Pass is a consideration throughout the entirety of development.

I guess we'll see those in 2022ish, considering day one Game Pass began in 2018.

That said, it sounds like Microsoft's studios have a ton of creative freedom. I don't expect that Microsoft is pushing mandates on them to change things somehow for Game Pass. Anyway, we'll see.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

The studios Microsoft have purchased have been given creative control over what they make. Perhaps some will choose to experiment with the fact that their games will be releasing onto a subscription service, and there'll probably be some great games from that which we wouldn't have seen otherwise, Sea of Thieves has become something very special thanks to the continuous support that Rare have been able to give it, but not all studios will do that, and the choice is up to them.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll see those in 2022ish, considering day one Game Pass began in 2018.

That said, it sounds like Microsoft's studios have a ton of creative freedom. I don't expect that Microsoft is pushing mandates on them to change things somehow for Game Pass. Anyway, we'll see.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to stuff like Halo and Fable because they were developed with this being a thing at all times.

Creative freedom is reassuring, but it also doesn't guarantee quality (IMO).

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has it right. They need to keep the quality of their games incredibly high.

Haha if they can keep that quality and output of there triple A games and charge me 150 a year? By all means I'll sign up to a Sony game pass Service....but we all know that ain't happening.
If MS can have the same output of quality single player games as Sony (2-3 a yearly) on gamepass? I'll definitely reconsider my stance on the service. As of now, I rather buy the game I want to play and that's that.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The studios Microsoft have purchased have been given creative control over what they make. Perhaps some will choose to experiment with the fact that their games will be releasing onto a subscription service, and there'll probably be some great games from that which we wouldn't have seen otherwise, Sea of Thieves has become something very special thanks to the continuous support that Rare have been able to give it, but not all studios will do that, and the choice is up to them.

Creative freedom is just a piece of the quality puzzle.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Sony has an answer to game pass, it just isn't as exciting. But the fact that PSNow exists is enough proof that subscription services are seen as valuable for these companies.

Realistically, the reason Sony's first party games aren't on PSNow (even if they are it's for a laughable 3 months) is that they make more money selling them like they are now. I guess people are perfectly happy with their output so they don't see any reason for them to change.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
So this is something I've noticed quite a lot on this forum and on social media etc; "Sony needs an answer to Gamepass"

Why? They're about to end one of their most successful generations where they sold another 100m plus consoles. Their first party games are regularly selling over 10m and some are even pushing 20m, so why exactly do they need an "answer" to Gamepass?

Gamepass has been around for almost three years now and in that time what proof do we have that it's a system seller? The Xbox One is still trailing the PS4 in US and UK and it's pretty much a non factor in the rest of the world. PS4 has actually significantly widened its lead over the Xbox worldwide in the last three years.

Is Gamepass the future of gaming? Maybe, but absolutely nobody knows. What we do know now is that Sony style AAA highly polished exclusive games sell systems and sell very well and will continue do so. If you ask me, Sony doesn't need an answer to Gamepass, Microsoft needs an answer to Sony.

Yes. And MS has made acquisitions to answer Sony's advangement..

Not quite sure why your want Sony to be complacent.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Creative freedom is just a piece of the quality puzzle.

Of course it is, my point is that suggesting that XGS games from now on will be developed with GP in mind isn't necessarily true, the studios will develop the games they want to develop, paying as much or as little attention to the delivery method as they wish.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Because they already have had a similar service, first with ps+ later joined by psnow. Those just are focused differently, cheaper and less 'recent' content.
They need it? Not right now. But they can make the jump if the market forces them.
They also focus on games instead of services, that, in the end, need those games to be compelling. MS is nowhere near them in the games department,so when they get there, if they do, we will see how things develop.

Yes. And MS has made acquisitions to answer Sony's advangement..

Not quite sure why your want Sony to be complacent.
When those studios deliver the same hits as Sony studios, is when Sony may need to change their strategy. So far I'm sure they are aware of how the market is reacting, but it doesn't mean they have to do anything right now, nor does that mean they are being complacent. In fact they seem to be doubling on what they are strong

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is, my point is that suggesting that XGS games from now on will be developed with GP in mind isn't necessarily true, the studios will develop the games they want to develop, paying as much or as little attention to the delivery method as they wish.

All future first party Microsoft titles will be releasing day and date on Game Pass. That's a variable that cannot be isolated or otherwise removed from any analysis. Whether or not that has an effect on the quality is what is left to be determined and why I am looking forward to Halo, Fable, etc.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked at how much value there is in game pass. I have it on PC and it's insane you can ply Crusader Kong's III for 5 dollars

Yup. I got interested in it when I tried Grounded with a friend for 1 month, 1$, and then we tried Sea of Thieves... etc. I'm now with a 2 years subscription. I've tried games I don't think I would have bought such as Forza Horizon 2 and ended up loving it.

It's unbeatable value wise

RSena7

Oct 26, 2017
I would argue Gamepass is Microsoft's answer for its failure to offer a compelling product in its exclusive games.

Sony and Nintendo offer compelling products. Microsoft offers a compelling service.

And I wrote this in another thread, but one could argue Sony's "answer" to Gamepass is the value it offers in its monthly/seasonal sales.

StUnNeR H2K

Dec 1, 2017
Yukon, OK
My thought on the whole thing is like Netflix. Look how long Netflix ran the only streaming service before everyone else jumped in. Who ever jumps in next will have a head start to the others that follow. Nintendo and Sony could both do it, but right now they like their current model of business. Xbox is way ahead of the game by making its product available across mobile, PC and console. They have new studios that will be pumping out new first party games in the next couple of years. Xbox doesn't care about console wars, they care about subs now. The console is just a device for them to serve content to a subscriber.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Because they already have had a similar service, first with ps+ later joined by psnow. Those just are focused differently, cheaper and less 'recent' content.
They need it? Not right now. But they can make the jump if the market forces them.
They also focus on games instead of services, that, in the end, need those games to be compelling. MS is nowhere near them in the games department,so when they get there, if they do, we will see how things develop.

When those studios deliver the same hits as Sony studios, is when Sony may need to change their strategy. So far I'm sure they are aware of how the market is reacting, but it doesn't mean they have to do anything right now, nor does that mean they are being complacent. In fact they seem to be doubling on what they are strong

Why is Sony's potential action dictated by the quality of MS's 1st party output?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
My thought on the whole thing is like Netflix. Look how long Netflix ran the only streaming service before everyone else jumped in. Who ever jumps in next will have a head start to the others that follow. Nintendo and Sony could both do it, but right now they like their current model of business. Xbox is way ahead of the game by making its product available across mobile, PC and console. They have new studios that will be pumping out new first party games in the next couple of years. Xbox doesn't care about console wars, they care about subs now. The console is just a device for them to serve content to a subscriber.
That is why thy are releasing two consoles instead of one. Most of their gp customers are xb owners