• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting! posted by Izanagi89

In the case of Shadwen, it's actually due to a major issue encountered in load screens. A Frozenbyte representative told us: "We have a lot of PS4 games that are playable on PS5, including all of the Trine games and Nine Parchments. However, for some reason, Shadwen freezes on the loading screen. If this happened on one of our newer games, we'd probably figure out the reason quickly. Unfortunately, Shadwen is quite old, using an older version of our engine, and we don't have it up and running anymore."

The dev also doesn't have any plans to patch PS5 backwards compatibility support into the title — something the team behind DWVR is eager to do. "We're not doing updates to Shadwen on any platform, so debugging this issue or creating a new version would take quite a lot of effort. Therefore we have decided to keep Shadwen as a PS4 only game."
www.pushsquare.com

Why Shadwen Won't Be Backwards Compatible on PS5

Load screen mishap

Last edited:

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
It's nice they put something out and I think what they have stated is a perfectly reasonable explanation, kudos to them.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
This game had an incredibly cool concept and didn't quite realize it. Still a shame that it will be left behind.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty typical behavior for non-BC titles, we've seen it before. Doesn't actually answer the detailed technical question of why it's happening, though.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It happens, they don't really seem that angry about it, they just let go.

I didn't know TT Isle of Man 2 was being patched, that's cool!

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
maybe in the end Shadwen will be the lone title not backwards compatible with PS5 lol

That'd be crazy impressive.

I was honestly expecting something like 40 games to not be playable and never would be playable. Less than 10 is crazy impressive.
Also includes PS2 on PS4 games, which is another thing I wasn't sure about.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty typical behavior for non-BC titles, we've seen it before. Doesn't actually answer the detailed technical question of why it's happening, though.
Uhh, how technical do you need exactly? They at least explain part of the reason is because its on an older version of their engine that they don't use anymore. There'd have to be incentive for them to investigate further, which doesn't seem to be there.

Oct 27, 2017
Do Sony have flags they can set which emulates the original PS4 load times? I remember it was a problem in the PS1 and PS2 backward compatibility where some games would crash during load if the read speed was too fast, so there was a toggle for the load speed in the options.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be crazy impressive.

I was honestly expecting something like 40 games to not be playable and never would be playable. Less than 10 is crazy impressive.
Also includes PS2 on PS4 games, which is another thing I wasn't sure about.
There are almost 3000 games in this list: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

Some might be missing, but with this update we would be at only 9 non-compatible games officially, which would put the percentage in 0.3%.

EDIT: haha sorry, I was not answering to you, I answered to the wrong comment in the wrong thread! Well, at any case, here's the math for this thread lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.

So I take it games on that list have immediate show stopping bugs that are just too much trouble to deal with.

Make me feel better about the games not on that list.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but given the reason being freezes during loading, why does this only affect PlayStation and not Xbox?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, how technical do you need exactly? They at least explain part of the reason is because its on an older version of their engine that they don't use anymore. There'd have to be incentive for them to investigate further, which doesn't seem to be there.
I don't "need" anything, I'm just curious. BC is supposed to be entirely baked in at the hardware level, guaranteeing that the games will work. Which means the ones that don't work are probably doing some weird shit behind the scenes that just happened to work on PS4, and I'm curious what it is. Such-and-such a memory call at such-and-such a time, storing such-and-such a weird data bit in the L2 cache that shouldn't be there, and PS5 balks because such-and-such an architecture difference, whatever.

What they're describing is the symptom, not the cause. "It doesn't work because we tried it and it didn't work."

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but given the reason being freezes during loading, why does this only affect PlayStation and not Xbox?
Because they are two different systems, with different hardware and different OSs.

If I had to bet, they do some kind of unusual syscall to the OS that is not correctly processed anymore with PS5's OS.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Interestingly, I know this dev but have never heard of this game. Still good of them to get ahead of this.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't think we'll ever get a clear answer as it would require putting in time to debug, but it could be an issue with the super fast SSD and non-standard priority lanes or something.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Never got to play this but tbh I was just looking at screenshots and I would've given this a try had I known about it and not sold my ps4. Doesn't seem to be on Xbox.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure who, if anyone, would be able to update that. Square-Enix don't have the Hitman rights anymore and the game was made by Eidos Montreal.
Yeah, Hitman Go seems to be in a particular weird limbo, because it's listed in Square Enix's site, but nowhere in the IOI site, so maybe IOI can't do anything with it at the moment.

Also, it was done by Square Enix Montreal, not Eidos Montreal (they're different studios lol)