• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User banned (2 months): Creating a platform warring thread in bad faith, abusing the report system, long history of trolling and platform warring
Article

However, again, the difference in capabilities between the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X is largely a moot point here. Both consoles have storage that's fast enough to enable developers to swap assets in and out of memory within completion time for a single frame. Both are also evidently fast enough to allow for "quick resume" functionality.

Epic mentioned that LODs generated with its Nanite technology would scale based on storage throughput. They didn't specify exactly how. But the wording of their message-indicating different results on mobile devices, consoles, and elsewhere-hints that scaling will be tiered in nature, with NVMe SSDs of all kinds benefiting from the top-end experience. Because any NVMe SSD can load in data far faster than it takes the system to render a frame, the Xbox Series X isn't exactly placed at a disadvantage. It's fast enough that anything more just doesn't matter.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I'm mostly looking forward to the insanely fast loading times for the current catalog of games I own. And hopefully never again a slow loading game.

waiting upwards of 45 seconds every time I stop and reload a game like Borderlands 3 makes me wish I owned it on PC. I'm hoping this architecture puts that to rest.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
We have, for instance, tried running an open world RPG with plenty of loading from a USB external hard disk connected to a USB 2.0 port. Running on USB 2.0 connection, the external hard disk delivered somewhere under 60 MB/s of throughput. To put things into perspective, that's slower than a gigabit internet connection. Still, despite cripplingly slow storage throughput, the game runs reasonably well, albeit with additional loading hiccups here and there.

The game runs without issues on a drive that slow because the game was designed for it.

OHCOMMON

Banned
May 15, 2020
we will have to see what ps5 exclusives can do, i also find it difficult to imagine how games are gonna saturate the Xbox SSD speed

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For multiplatforms sure. Some people acting like xbox has a pauper ssd. It's plenty fast.

I can't wait to see what it enables in Sony first party tho, see if it really is a game-changer.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no tech head, but my basic layman's take is both systems are going to be stupid fast, and the PS5 will be able to do some additional interesting things with first party games.

I dunno. I'm that dude that has trouble distinguishing framerate unless you put one of those side by side gifs in front of me.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
In actuality we don't know whether or even how developers in the coming generation will leverage SSD storage.​

Yes, we do. They've been very explicit in how they'll leverage SSD capabilities. They had to wipe the saliva from the Epic developers' mouths when they were talking about it.

The crux of this article is "we can't tell the future, how do we know it'll actually have an impact" which is pretty disingenuous.

Oof, that article's argument isn't very properly constructed or sensible.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
this article talks about nothing new, it's literally one guys opinion who goes over what we already know.

AND a lot of developers have openly talked about as much as they can. Guess we shall see in a few days.

This article is for console warring. It's not like the author interviewed someone.

Yes, we do. They've been very explicit in how they'll leverage SSD capabilities. They had to wipe the saliva from the Epic developers' mouths when they were talking about it.

Oof, that article's argument isn't very properly constructed or sensible.

It's console war bullshit.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
If a PS5 game runs at 15% less resolution than an XBSX game, but has no pop in or frame hitching whereas the Xbox version does, I would pick the PS5 version. I think most with the option would agree it would lead to a better result too. I'm not saying it would be the case for every game, but I could see it being the case for a good amount of them, given design won't change between consoles for third party games.

Oct 30, 2017
We will see. But if it didn't matter, I don't see why Sony wouldn't just opt for a slower storage solution if it didn't matter.
It surely adds to their BOM cost. And it makes adding additional storage harder for gamers, too.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
this article talks about nothing new, it's literally one guys opinion who goes over what we already know.

AND a lot of developers have openly talked about as much as they can. Guess we shall see in a few days.

This article is for console warring. It's not like the author interviewed someone.

It's console war bullshit.

What did you expect from the OP though

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I'm no tech head, but my basic layman's take is both systems are going to be stupid fast, and the PS5 will be able to do some additional interesting things with first party games.

I dunno. I'm that dude that has trouble distinguishing framerate unless you put one of those side by side gifs in front of me.

You really can't tell if a game is running at 60 or 30 fps on your tv?

I'm almost sure that sometimes people just leave interpolation on and that's why they can see something so obvious.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
It's fast enough that anything more just doesn't matter.
Yeah, no other capabilities are unlocked at higher speeds. Riiiiight.
There are certainly things developers can do with the PS5 that can't be done the same, as fast, or as well on any other consumer hardware at the moment. That's also a fact.

The PS5's IO is a big deal that will lead to actual results in games.
What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.
I think it's perfectly fine to question the impact PS5's speedier drive will have on games. It has correctly been pointed out that third party developers aren't likely to provide tangibly different experiences between XSX and PS5. But pushing blatant FUD like the quote above in service in this argument does nobody any good.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Devs: "architecture and SSD on PS5 are incredible and a game changer"
Gaming bolt and DocH1X1: "you're wrong devs".

Btw, the crusade continues:

36kdStj.png

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I trust devs (and Linus) more than a gaming website. Better luck next time.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Conclusion

It would be easy to make simple black-and-white conclusions about SSDs and their impact on ninth-gen gaming. "The PlayStation 5's SSD is faster" and "The Xbox Series X's GPU is faster" are two sides of the same coin. In actuality we don't know whether or even how developers in the coming generation will leverage SSD storage. Will it result in some improvements? Definitely, and loading screens will be at the top of the list there. But will it cause a graphics disparity between the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X? It might but just don't know right now

lol OP are you serious? I dont know but I will write a clickbait article as if I am writing it from a position of authority.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
We have, for instance, tried running an open world RPG with plenty of loading from a USB external hard disk connected to a USB 2.0 port. Running on USB 2.0 connection, the external hard disk delivered somewhere under 60 MB/s of throughput. To put things into perspective, that's slower than a gigabit internet connection. Still, despite cripplingly slow storage throughput, the game runs reasonably well, albeit with additional loading hiccups here and there.

giphy-40-1589810118.gif

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I look forward to seeing several pages of discussion where people treat the pessimistic speculation of hardware we have yet to see tangible results for the same as they have been treating the optimistic speculation for that same hardware. Many measured reactions, I'm sure.

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I think it's fair not to expect mutliplatform games to have any significant differences one way or the other, at least not for the vast majority. Exclusives is where both Sony and Microsoft's studios will show the capabilities of their respective consoles

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
If the benefits of Sony's SSD solution were going to provide only minimal benefits then I don't see why they'd go to such lengths to put so much effort in the R&D. They looked at the bottlenecks and purposely decided that true next gen can be achieved through SSD speeds.

In that case Sony "should" have just gone with SSD speeds commensurate with what's already available on the market to reduce production costs and then bump up the FLOPS to maintain the performance crown.

I'll maintain cautious optimism that Sony first party titles will be designed in unique ways.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
What the hell is Gamingbolt?

There are a lot of smaller places like this that absolutely thrive in this kind of late-gen period, where everyone wants to talk about and read about the next consoles but no one actually knows anything about them. Low effort and high return to do pieces like this.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
You can stream assets as fast as you can, but both are equally bounded by the memory.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
If a PS5 game runs at 15% less resolution than an XBSX game, but has no pop in or frame hitching whereas the Xbox version does, I would pick the PS5 version. I think most with the option would agree it would lead to a better result too. I'm not saying it would be the case for every game, but I could see it being the case for a good amount of them, given design won't change between consoles for third party games.

You expect a good number of games on XSX to run with pop in or frame hitching ? Why?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game runs without issues on a drive that slow because the game was designed for it.

And they even added "albeit with additional loading hiccups here and there. "...

I'm sure Xbox users would looooove to wait a few additional seconds every few minutes. But as you've said they didn't even test a game that was made to use the high speed of the ps5 ssd.

This shit reminds me of the pushback from (mainly) us media outlets against PS4 having a higher resolution than the One.

Status
Not open for further replies.