• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you disappointed with how DP remakes looks and feels?

• Yes

Votes: 1,329 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 867 39.5%

• Total voters

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's ugly as fuck honestly. You're a crazy person if you think it looks better than Let's Go.

a675402eae9a8615a154f288e5e8433c18e7be2c4b046d4862a80a89b4aae26b.jpg

It's clear it's more of a side project compared to what they're trying to do with Arceus.

If the DP remakes were made in the same engine and assets, i would buy it in a heartbeat. I didn't buy LGPE because I didn't like the mechanics, but a game like DP with pretty graphics like that? Take my money.

The actual thing I wouldn't want to play even for free, as i still have platinum and a DS, so I can just play the best looking version.

Dec 21, 2020
But there are plenty of people in this very thread who are taking issue with the way chibi has been implemented here, not that the fact that it is chibi. So making blanket statements about how the reason people don't like this because of the same reason they don't like LA is false.
In this thread, but I'm not referring to this thread only or mostly. I've read people online complain about the fact that they even are chibi in model, this was also a complaint I saw for LA:RE and that it is using the chibi model look for the characters. Not "why do the chibi characters look like that?" Its "why are they chibi in the first place?"
But the chibi art style is not the same as the original game's sprite work. That's the issue with them. The characters and backgrounds not only look super flat and clash with one another, the proportions of the character models are different than the sprites the series is known for and the faces look different as well
And that's a fair comment to make about how it's not liked because it isn't 1:1 as LA:RE, but so far I've seen people comment "why are they chibi??" Not here necessarily, but in general. Ive seen people have a problem with the fact that they are chibi before even thinking of why do the chibi models look like that

To address you both at once, the point is that even if they looked identical, the complaint of why are they chibi still exists regardless of how glorious the world looks and how good the quality of the models is, they are still chibi(or chibi-like?) in form. The aesthetic that it strives to achieve is similar to each other (LA models vs DP models), it's not the quality of the models or how it meshes with the environmen, it's that some still have an issue with it being Chibi at all. Some people had issues with LA when revealed as being chibi, similar to the situation in the here and now where people have an issues that the models are chibi to begin with. Which, again, is why I am saying that even if the game looked 100% identical to LA:RE, the comment some make of "why is it chibi/chibi-like(??)" still stands regardless.

Even by looking at them side by side you can draw some comparisons between the models and what they are striving for.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
The whole point of a Pokemon remake was to bring a existing old game to new graphical standard adapting to the present hardware just like how previous remakes did. What is this faithful 1:1 remake nonsense

DP remakes looks worse than Lets go that came out 3 years ago and ORAS/XY that came out 7-8 years ago on freaking 3ds. Highly disappointed and I think the game would have been received better if it released on 3ds 5 years ago.
The new sinnoh legend game saves gamefreak from the shitstorm but still I can't forgive them for ruining our most anticipated sinnoh remakes

PS: the remakes looks like some cheap generic mobile knockoff. How the mighty has fallen. From among best possible remake for any video game franchise (HGSS) to this.
It looks like the GBA and DS games if they were not sprites its pretty faithful imo.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
All I know is these games look like trash. I'm surprised they won't afford a bigger budget considering it's one of the most successful franchises and of course there's people defending this.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Game looks to me like those Citra mods on the 3DS games where all the outlines got removed. Not saying it looks like a 3ds game, but it looks really flat especially during battles.
JR3JGqn.png
Its not even fuck funny how much better this looks. Damn...
One of those has at least some definition and is kinda acceptable.

What would you even describe the style they're going for aside from "Unity asset store mobile game"?
Thats...about the way i would describe it. i would not find other words than that.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is these games look like trash. I'm surprised they won't afford a bigger budget considering it's one of the most successful franchises and of course there's people defending this.
They don't have a reason to spend more. People buy them anyway. They look at sales and think "I guess we did things right" and call it a day. Why do more when the games sell like crazy no matter what they put out?

markavacado

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the HD Chibi look, but it's something that I can learn to appreciate.

The art style on the other hand just looks so… clinical? Like it's missing the soul that made HGSS my favorite Pokémon games

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of a Pokemon remake was to bring a existing old game to new graphical standard adapting to the present hardware just like how previous remakes did. What is this faithful 1:1 remake nonsense

DP remakes looks worse than Lets go that came out 3 years ago and ORAS/XY that came out 7-8 years ago on freaking 3ds. Highly disappointed and I think the game would have been received better if it released on 3ds 5 years ago.
The new sinnoh legend game saves gamefreak from the shitstorm but still I can't forgive them for ruining our most anticipated sinnoh remakes

PS: the remakes looks like some cheap generic mobile knockoff. How the mighty has fallen. From among best possible remake for any video game franchise (HGSS) to this.
Eh, sorta. The remakes originally came about due to the GB>GBA incompatibility; the "whole point" back then was to actually make all the Pokemon available in gen 3, and later to have versions of GS compatible with the current gen of Pokemon. It's not a coincidence that things started getting muddy with ORAS; the remakes had served their purpose, but fans demanded they continue, and those games felt a little lacking in vision as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if the mixed reception to the changes in ORAS influenced their decision to go 1:1 here (though I'll also add: ORAS did not utilize the 3DS hardware the same way XY/SM did, the signs of this were already there).

I do wonder a bit who these are really for, though. Kids who were too young for DP? I'm not sure some of the dated design they're copying will jive with them. People nostalgic for DPPt? What will this version give them that DPPt didn't?

I also miss the days of remakes feeling like a modern game that just happened to reuse a map. But as a closing thought, to play devil's advocate, satisfying remakes were a lot easier to pull off when the current world design was still bound by the same tile sets of the older games. HGSS were achievable in part because they could still follow everything we were hoping they'd move on from in BDSP.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait to see more but I think it's better to assume the worst with Pokémon anymore and if they do a good job than great. I don't think it looks terrible but I have no faith in game freak

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
This is a bigger deal than dexit for me. I could care less about playing as older pokemon in a brand new pokemon game but playing a scrapped 3ds port on switch is ugh.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
I'm fine with Chibi character designs typically, but this is just completely ugly to me. Comparing it favorably to Link's Awakening is nonsense.

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
I am fine with chibi and it's growing on me but I'm disappointed because I grew up with DP and was excited for and expecting the game to look like SwSh.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond and Pearl already looked ugly and I'm guessing they just wanted to be faithful 🤷‍♂️

I had negative expectations and it somehow still managed to baffle me.

poliwhirl

Sep 14, 2018
Thought I'd do a little paintover to see if a lighting fix would change my opinion. Turns out it would. There's still other issues I'd like to change, like changing the tall grass tiles out for Let's Go's more natural tiles, but I think something along these lines needs to be done.

1gnIIe2.jpg

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
What does tile based mean here? Are some not tile based?
I think they mean how like sun/moon and sword/shield didn't have chibi models and didn't have grid-based movement. It's still a weird argument to try and make in context of the thread though since most people dislike the particular models rather than the fact that they're chibi

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
The official North American YouTube trailer has a roughly 14.72% dislike ratio as of this writing. The IGN upload (mentioning it in case you consider that audience to be more indicative of hardcore gamers) has a roughly 14.29% dislike ratio as of this writing.

I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong with this post. Just thought it might give a sense of how people are feeling outside of era!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks awfully cheap. The leap between original and remake isn't nearly as big as it should be, just two years ago they released a vastly better looking remake, and their obsession with being "faithful" to the originals doesn't inspire me confidence that they're taking the games a step further.

I see remakes as bringing old titles back to the drawing board and envisioning them from a different perspective, seeing what can be better, how the new tech can push it beyond what it originally was.

This hits much closer to remaster than remake and it was a huge disappointment for me.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The official North American YouTube trailer has a roughly 14.72% dislike ratio as of this writing. The IGN upload (mentioning it in case you consider that audience to be more indicative of hardcore gamers) has a roughly 14.29% dislike ratio as of this writing.

I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong with this post. Just thought it might give a sense of how people are feeling outside of era!

Pointing out even you don't like the look, you can still be excited for it.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

To literally answer your question they deliberately chose an artstyle that attempts to recreate the original game's graphics in 3D. It's not meant to look modern or like other recent games.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the direction of this remake. What they've shown so far feels like a very surface-level adaptation of D/P. To a fault, the visuals are faithful to the 2D graphics instead of being faithful to what the 2D graphics represented. Add on that it just visually looks bland, it looks like a fan-game that totally misses the mark.

Hopefully, they can deliver on the content side of things.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm probably one of the most "glass half-full" guys around when it comes to Pokémon and.... even I can't like this. It just looks bad and 1:1 means it probably won't fix all the issues I've had with Gen 4. A VC release of Platinum would have been better, really.

Apr 21, 2018
Nintendo fans are fickle, but then there is this sub-section of them called Pokemon fans who are 10x as fickle.

I don't think it looks that bad. It doesn't look amazing but it's a remake of a DS game right and it's got a bit of a cute style to the NPCs but otherwise it seems fine. The battles looks fine. I think it'll look just fine in handheld mode.

I'd rather a smooth experience in this style than the janky 20fps pop-in grossness of Sword and Shield, but that's me.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
It looks kind of cheap. I don't think it looks like complete trash, but I don't think it got the attention it deserved.

It's not that ORAS "objectively looks better", but ORAS did feel like a much greater leap in graphics compared to its original than this does. I think anyone would have a hard time arguing against that.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I'd do a little paintover to see if a lighting fix would change my opinion. Turns out it would. There's still other issues I'd like to change, like changing the tall grass tiles out for Let's Go's more natural tiles, but I think something along these lines needs to be done.

1gnIIe2.jpg
I think lighting helps a ton. Art isn't as stylisticly close as i would hope but that would be an improvement with everything looking flat seeing as the colpr work isn't doing fhe heavy lifting like sprites.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no problem with a chibi look - I think the Link's Awakening remaster looks beautiful!

But this one looks absolutely dreadful. It just looks so cheap and plasticy. It's so flat and the lighting is awful. I honestly don't know what they were thinking with this. ORAS on the 3DS looks better

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City

1gnIIe2.jpg
All very good points. I don't know why they've gone such different routes with every Pokemon game on Switch. It feels like every entry has some good ideas that get bogged down by a bunch of questionable decisions. Remains to be seen if that will also apply to Legends.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Fixing the lighting and fixing the tiling would really go a long way. They don't even need to have that many tree models, just a number greater than 1.

undefined

Jan 3, 2021
There's something with the lighting and colors that feels off I dunno, but I'm still looking forward to it as I never played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum so to me it's like a new classic style game and I'm definitely interested ngl

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks to me like those Citra mods on the 3DS games where all the outlines got removed. Not saying it looks like a 3ds game, but it looks really flat especially during battles.
JR3JGqn.png

Lineless mod always looked hideous and ill never understand why people used it. The models just blended into the background because it simply wasn't intended to be viewed that way.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
In this thread, but I'm not referring to this thread only or mostly. I've read people online complain about the fact that they even are chibi in model, this was also a complaint I saw for LA:RE and that it is using the chibi model look for the characters. Not "why do the chibi characters look like that?" Its "why are they chibi in the first place?"

And that's a fair comment to make about how it's not liked because it isn't 1:1 as LA:RE, but so far I've seen people comment "why are they chibi??" Not here necessarily, but in general. Ive seen people have a problem with the fact that they are chibi before even thinking of why do the chibi models look like that

To address you both at once, the point is that even if they looked identical, the complaint of why are they chibi still exists regardless of how glorious the world looks and how good the quality of the models is, they are still chibi(or chibi-like?) in form. The aesthetic that it strives to achieve is similar to each other (LA models vs DP models), it's not the quality of the models or how it meshes with the environmen, it's that some still have an issue with it being Chibi at all. Some people had issues with LA when revealed as being chibi, similar to the situation in the here and now where people have an issues that the models are chibi to begin with. Which, again, is why I am saying that even if the game looked 100% identical to LA:RE, the comment some make of "why is it chibi/chibi-like(??)" still stands regardless.

Even by looking at them side by side you can draw some comparisons between the models and what they are striving for.
I wouldn't care about chibi complaints since those are mostly the same people that don't really like japanese media and tropes in general. Japanese people like chibi, they think it's cute and it's appealing to children. Adults complaining about chibi models are really out of line and shouldn't be taken seriously, specially since they're not the target audience of the game.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I mean, noone in their right mind should expect actual effort from a pokemon game on the graphics department. But this one just screams lazy to me.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem for me isn't that it uses chibi art. It's the fact that it looks cheap and soulless. The fact that they're charging $60 for it is kind of insane, but they charged that price for the Mystery Dungeon remake too, so I can't even say it's surprising.