• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you disappointed with how DP remakes looks and feels?

• Yes

Votes: 1,329 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 867 39.5%

• Total voters

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Its disappointing it doesn't look as good as Link's Awakening. Shame people hated LGE/LGP because I thought the art style in that was good

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's ugly as fuck honestly. You're a crazy person if you think it looks better than Let's Go.

a675402eae9a8615a154f288e5e8433c18e7be2c4b046d4862a80a89b4aae26b.jpg

It's clear it's more of a side project compared to what they're trying to do with Arceus.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels? The game isn't out yet. Fucking hell, this place sometimes.

I will say that it does look worse art style wise than Let's Go did.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
They have a very feminine artstyle and in general look like something you'd find in a lot of girl games. Since publishers have no respect for women, most of those kinds of games are generally low budget or relegated to mobile. So I can see where some of the associations come from.

I think the games look very cute, though. I prefer the look to the Link's Awakening remake, but that's because the color palette and general art choices for that game can look quite weird. But that game still looks OK.
I think this is really overthinking it. They just made the all of the overworld models look like the original sprites they're based on. They don't have to change the scale of anything that way.

cfmK06u.png

May 25, 2019
London
I'm going to be frank with you, people hate the way this game looks for the same reason people hated the way LA looks. Because of the "chibi plastic like doll look of the game" which both share.

People just don't like chibi plastic doll Look at all. Even with LA superior visuals in things like lighting, the game was criticized for its overall presentation of the characters and the overworld. Despite being as close to 1:1 remake as possible. And then the framerate and the length of the game were also brought up.

This is a terrible take, while Link's Awakening's art style is not my preference for a Zelda, I cannot deny that it is extremely polished and refined, and achieves what it sets out to do. Upon playing it, I kind of agreed that the original Link's Awakening already had some inclinations towards that art style (the photograph stills are a great example).

Diamond Pearl just looks...bad. It looks like something a fan game in terms of general art style and level of refinement. The overworld style also doesn't mesh with the graphics used in the battle screens at all.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is really overthinking it. They just made the all of the overworld models look like the original sprites they're based on. They don't have to change the scale of anything that way.

I should say, I mostly mean the end result with regards to what I was talking about, rather than a necessarily purposeful choice.

Oct 27, 2017

cfmK06u.png
Those sprites aren't the same proportions though. In fact, that's the main issue. The previous Pokemon sprites, while differing because of new HW, still maintained similar proportions that made them indefinably Pokemon. These models don't

bry

Oct 27, 2017
tbh 3D in pokémon been ass.
i rly wish they went with a BD type look wjth 3D battles in the 3DS era.

after rewatching the trailer tho and sfuff i do kind of like the look.
i do see the flaws everyone is mentioning but i don't have a huge issue with it.

Dec 21, 2020
This is a terrible take, while Link's Awakening's art style is not my preference for a Zelda, I cannot deny that it is extremely polished and refined, and achieves what it sets out to do. Upon playing it, I kind of agreed that the original Link's Awakening already had some inclinations towards that art style (the photograph stills are a great example).

Diamond Pearl just looks...bad. It looks like something a fan game in terms of general art style and level of refinement. The overworld style also doesn't mesh with the graphics used in the battle screens at all.
How exactly is pointing out that both use Chibi models is a terrible take? Maybe my use of "over world" was a mistake because it seems to be taken as the view of the whole world, when i am referring to the chibi models being situated in the world seem like a contrast.

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
people are criticising the remakes across lots of platforms. it's almost like people try to single-out resetera constantly to excuse away valid criticism.

It's a low effort post. Unfortunately they're bound to appear in threads like this.

best to ignore them and move on.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The chibi style has been a conscious thing since Red and Green.

chibification2rmko6.gif

chibificationkljxl.gif

X and Y were the last new Pokemon games to be tile-based and they still used a chibi style. ORAS took the chibi style X and Y had. But with subsequent games not being tile-based anymore they didn't really have a current style to adhere to besides Let's Go, which is also chibi, but fans lost their minds over those games.
I'd argue that RG --> B2W2 was chibi due to graphical/hardware limitations. X and Y were their first attempts at true 3D on a somewhat limited screen size, so chibi still made sense.

You can may have a point with Let's Go, but that could also be attributed to nostalgia pandering. The same could maybe be said about these upcoming remakes, but y'know, the expectations were set up differently.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I don't know about ORAS but it definitely looks way worse than Let's Go. Is this Gamefreak's way of making us say nice things about Sword and Shield/Let's Go graphics? It sure is working!

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
It's like the devs forgot the pixel chibi aesthetic was meant to be shorthand for a fully realized world. Making 3d chibis, which leave much less to the imagination, when you can and have made a realized 3d world and characters feels insanely unfaithful to the original, honestly.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
It isn't even really about chibi vs not chibi. I like Link's Awakening, I like Bravely Default. But this truly is weird chibi, the characters don't look remotely good. They should have gone with a less squished/blocky style if they really wanted to go this route.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know as a massive fan of Gen V (black & white) I really hope they don't go with this style, i'd rather have a Let's Go version than this.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Game looks to me like those Citra mods on the 3DS games where all the outlines got removed. Not saying it looks like a 3ds game, but it looks really flat especially during battles.
JR3JGqn.png

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's like the devs forgot the pixel chibi aesthetic was meant to be shorthand for a fully realized world. Making 3d chibis, which leave much less to the imagination, when you can and have made a realized 3d world and characters feels insanely unfaithful to the original, honestly.
I've been saying this! Like I know it feels counterintuitive to say that by adhering too closly to the original it starts to move further away but it's true. Games like oras feel closer to the spirit of the origionals even if they take more liberties

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks to me like those Citra mods on the 3DS games where all the outlines got removed. Not saying it looks like a 3ds game, but it looks really flat especially during battles.
JR3JGqn.png
Still really don't like the chibi style (the outlines do help a bit), but holy hell the outlines massively improve Barry's model.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
All I know as a massive fan of Gen V (black & white) I really hope they don't go with this style, i'd rather have a Let's Go version than this.
My dream B/W remake is a widescreen sprite based game. I loved the sprites in gen V. Loved them. Give me that again, in higher fidelity. Give me a full roster of animated, sprite-based Pokémon. I don't even care if we use similar simplistic 3D models for environments. The holy grail would be some HD 2D look like what Square is doing in the Octopath series. But I won't ask that much.

May 25, 2019
London
How exactly is pointing out that both use Chibi models is a terrible take? Maybe my use of "over world" was a mistake because it seems to be taken as the view of the whole world, when i am referring to the chibi models being situated in the world seem like a contrast.

You insinuated that people just blanket hate the chibi look and thus hate both LA and Diamond/Pearl remakes while that couldn't be further from the truth. People (on the whole) appreciate the style of LA, while most people in this thread have expressed dislike of Diamond/Pearl's art style. The two are not the same.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Like, if they legit just took B/W, made it HD (like the Legend of Mana remake), and improved all the 3D models (they looked janky, not gonna lie), I'd probably rebuy it
Id take it, if it included some convenience features like having hard mode from the start and being able to check EVs and IVs from my main menu.

Dec 21, 2020
You insinuated that people just blanket hate the chibi look and thus hate both LA and Diamond/Pearl remakes while that couldn't be further from the truth. People (on the whole) appreciate the style of LA, while most people in this thread have expressed dislike of Diamond/Pearl's art style. The two are not the same.
And I am only really talking about the chibi, which people do hate and implying that people don't is also wrong. Because Online all I've seen on other sites is people complaining about why it is chibi and describe the same kind of comments regarding the characters as they were when LA was revealed and it was "ew wtf why do the characters look like that?"

Even if This game looked identical to LA, the complaint of "why do they look like chibi" still stands because both use character models that are aiming for a similar or same appeal.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's ugly as fuck honestly. You're a crazy person if you think it looks better than Let's Go.

a675402eae9a8615a154f288e5e8433c18e7be2c4b046d4862a80a89b4aae26b.jpg

It's clear it's more of a side project compared to what they're trying to do with Arceus.

This looks almost a generation ahead compared to what we'll be getting. Heck, even if they just borrowed this grass it'd make D/P look that much better.

Oct 27, 2017
Id take it, if it included some convenience features like having hard mode from the start and being able to check EVs and IVs from my main menu.
Yeah, with modern QoL features, online, and HM replacement too, of course. I just think if they're going to half ass the graphics of the remake, might as well just use the original graphics which can still hold up as nice spritework with some tweaks to the 3D parts

I mean maybe this is their way of investment. Nintendo outsource a lot instead of buying companies unless they have to.
As has been stated before, this doesn't involve Nintendo. TPC is responsible for who develops Pokemon games (aside from whatever games Gamefreak chooses to)

Even if This game looked identical to LA, the complaint of "why do they look like chibi" still stands because both use character models that are aiming for a similar or same appeal.
Hypotheticals with zero evidence of being true aren't good way to argue. This thread likely wouldn't exist if the games looked anything remotely in the realm of LA

grand

Oct 25, 2017
What I wanted with the Diamond/Pearl remakes, they are giving me with Legends so I'm fine with it.

The art style will let them more closely match the DS game anyway and pull off some of the neat effects. I just hope it's based off of Platinum instead of the original two.

Dec 21, 2020
Yeah, with modern QoL features, online, and HM replacement too, of course. I just think if they're going to half ass the graphics of the remake, might as well just use the original graphics which can still hold up as nice spritework with some tweaks to the 3D parts

As has been stated before, this doesn't involve Nintendo. TPC is responsible for who develops Pokemon games (aside from whatever games Gamefreak chooses to)

Hypotheticals with zero evidence of being true aren't good way to argue. This thread likely wouldn't exist if the games looked anything remotely in the realm of LA
What I'm using for my basis is people having complaints about why do the characters look chibi. That certainly does have relevance. Regardless of how the other parts of the game look, the main focus has been the character models.

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like a super cheap outsourced thing as Game Freak focused on the main game.

Feels weird they didn't go for a bigger dev team to make this game though.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Best part is, that shader can't (or shouldn't be) expensive to run in-engine, yet it adds so much depth that the current version's missing. If the models are going to stand out even when flat, you might as well stylize them to better fit the concept.

Anyway, while I don't hate how the remakes currently look, it's very uninspiring compared to the thorough plasticine diorama look of something like Link's Awakening, or the lower tech but more consistently reimagined style from ORAS. My fear is that this will be faithful less to Platinum and moreso to D/P, which is more a problem for this generation than was the case for R/S vs. Emerald. I might as well just play my dumped copy on an emulator with up-rezzed visuals and a QoL ROM hack rather than pay for what's clearly a B-tier upgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm using for my basis is people having complaints about why do the characters look chibi. That certainly does have relevance. Regardless of how the other parts of the game look, the main focus has been the character models.
But the chibi art style is not the same as the original game's sprite work. That's the issue with them. The characters and backgrounds not only look super flat and clash with one another, the proportions of the character models are different than the sprites the series is known for and the faces look different as well

This seems like a super cheap outsourced thing as Game Freak focused on the main game.

Feels weird they didn't go for a bigger dev team to make this game though.
They knew it'd be a guaranteed 10+ million seller so why bother?

Anyway, while I don't hate how the remakes currently look, it's very inspiring compared to the thorough plasticine diorama look of something like Link's Awakening, or the lower tech but more consistently reimagined style from ORAS.
How is it inspiring?? What would you even describe the style they're going for aside from "Unity asset store mobile game"?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Gen 4 were my favourite Pokemon games. After seeing what they have done to the series this generation, I was dreading the moment when the Diamond and Pearl remakes would be announced.

Even though I wasn't expecting anything good, they have managed to disappoint me again.

At the very least I expected the games to be Sword and Shield with a Sinnoh skin. Instead, they give us... this (and they'll probably sell it for $60).

Being my favorite games from my childhood, I still wanted to believe that they would get back on track, but deep down I knew there was no going back.

I guess this series is not for me anymore. I'm done with it.

I mean, Pokemon Legends Arceus is giving that open world Sinnoh experience. Might be worth checking out if nothing else. You could end up enjoying it.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018

I was responding to someone saying why hasn't TPCI investing in extra people, I was saying their way of doing that was outsourcing like Nintendo

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One still is from the ORAS ending cinematic sequence, the other is a direct still from BDSP mid overworld.

A more accurate comparison shot:

3kNNkSX.jpg

One thing I don't like at all is the new games grass and trees. They look way more obviously tiled. Like, you really gotta nail that stuff and this hasn't.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
And I am only really talking about the chibi, which people do hate and implying that people don't is also wrong. Because Online all I've seen on other sites is people complaining about why it is chibi and describe the same kind of comments regarding the characters as they were when LA was revealed and it was "ew wtf why do the characters look like that?"

But there are plenty of people in this very thread who are taking issue with the way chibi has been implemented here, not that the fact that it is chibi. So making blanket statements about how the reason people don't like this because of the same reason they don't like LA is false.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Maybe you are right. I still don't know what that game is, though. Is it a spin-off?

I'm not sure if Spin-off is the right word, though it's not Gen 9. It's set in Sinnoh's past, and seems to be an open world game ala the Wild Area, but more fully open. You're able to catch Pokemon outside of battles, which is interesting. You're establishing the first ever Sinnoh Dex, I'm rather intrigued with what all kind of story will be involved. Maybe new towns will get established during the game.

I do wonder how explorable the world is.

Here's the trailer if you're curious (it's more than a year out, so expect the game to get more polished and such as time goes on):

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dream B/W remake is a widescreen sprite based game. I loved the sprites in gen V. Loved them. Give me that again, in higher fidelity. Give me a full roster of animated, sprite-based Pokémon. I don't even care if we use similar simplistic 3D models for environments. The holy grail would be some HD 2D look like what Square is doing in the Octopath series. But I won't ask that much.

I'd be more than okay with this, especially over how D&P are being done.

Tournedos

Mar 19, 2019
France
Some people will argue that from an artistic stand point the remake looks worse than the original. I mean the original pixel art has more charm and personality, it just feels like a lot more care was put into it (technically it doesn't hold up ofc but the DS is just too limited).

People who don't own a DS, don't want to use a emulator or just want the convenience will buy it of course but I don't think it is gonna to attract a lot of new players. For a new player (especially a kid) ORAS looked like a sequel to Pokemon XY, that game does not convey the same feeling.