• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you disappointed with how DP remakes looks and feels?

• Yes

Votes: 1,329 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 867 39.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Has there ever been a Pokémon game that was really graphically impressive? I don't understand why people set these expectations. It doesn't look amazing, but it looks fine to me. It looks like a Pokémon game. Certainly nothing that would prevent me from enjoying the game. I didn't think anything of the graphics when I first saw the trailer.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for it to be in the style of Sword and Shield, but let's see where this goes.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
They're very ugly - that water shot is horrific - but these games are being done by a studio with little experience.

It is what it is - Pokemon games have never been known for their graphics.

Most people who were interested will still buy them and have fun with them.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I like how it looks personally, but then again, I'm generally someone that hasn't been a fan of the series visuals since the series moved to full 3D in Gen 6.

As someone that vividly remembers the Let's Go reveal and the shitshow it caused on this very forum, it's a little funny seeing it suddenly used as a positive graphical standard now.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Are the gen 3 remakes good or no?

I keep hearing mixed things

they weren't as good as HGSS, but they at least iterated on their original versions and the main series game that came before

I think people look back on them a lot more fondly now because the standards have lowered more and more over the years

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
TBH I don't mind how the overworld looks. I think it looks better than the original games to say the least, though I do think there was much more potential there and it does feel more like a 3DS port. The only part I dislike is the chibi models but I can easily get over that.

As long as the games features some later gen improvements, Platinum improvements and doesn't turn down the difficulty too much I'll probably pick it up.

I would have much preferred that the games went for a style similar to LGPE, those are probably the best looking games (IMO) to date.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I voted yes because it is disappointing to be paying 79.99 CAD for a game that looks like that. I don't think it looks awful, but boy does it look lazy. The whole "faithful" remake means nothing if it has an automatic experience share as well.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
TPCI and GF have realized the general fanbase will buy up every mainline Pokemon game no matter the quality, and they even release dual packs for them. Now they are even comfortable farming off a 1:1 remake to another studio.

The bar can keep being lowered, and the pity is the game will probably still sell bundles.

I am not buying a remake that is going to be double the price of the original I purchased years ago. This is a crazy trend Nintendo has with remakes/ports with Zelda SS, Mario anniversary, Wii U ports, Miitopia, and Mystery Dungeon.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a gotcha. You said they didn't look worse and I posted a picture showing they clearly did lol. Calm down
Whatever helps you cope!
The games look like shit bro. You're tripping if you think they look better than ORAS

imagine feeling such a need to be "right" that you stay in a thread already based on a flawed premise (objectivity in art style), doing literally nothing more than trying to find posts to call out as being wrong or coping. Was gonna just laugh off that absurd first page until clicking to the last and seeing the callout(?) posts are stiiiiill going.

"Nobody hates Pokémon more than Pokémon fans" will never not be true, huh

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Are the models magically going to improve when running on the actual system? Will the art style change?

Probably not but from what I can gather the comparison pic that poster was responding to was made in bad faith. The screen from ORAS appears to be from a cinematic and not the models shown from the overworld, like it was with the Shining/Brilliant screen grab.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not but from what I can gather the comparison pic that poster was responding to was made in bad faith. The screen from ORAS appears to be from a cinematic and not the models shown from the overworld, like it was with the Shining/Brilliant screen grab.
It's a 3DS game vs a Switch game...the fact it's possible to make "bad faith" comparisons when there are orders of difference in the power of the 2 systems should be embarrassing enough

It is DP in HD in concept only, the actual execution of replicating the look misses wildly.
Well yeah, that's another thing. DP looked the way it did back in 2006 because it was running on a handheld console with a tiny screen. All the squished chibi sprites made sense back then because that was the cleanest way to represent the art direction on a DS. Translating to aesthetic to 3D models at an HD resolution just looks bad. Even LGPE, easily the most nostalgia-centric game in the series knew better than to just transfer over the old proportions from classic Yellow.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
FD2-A93-CC-2-C0-B-437-A-AD10-8844-F1-ADAE1-C.png

You were saying?
GASP! DIFFERENT ARTSTYLE? HOW DARE THEY?

The simplified aesthetic looks much better than whatever the fuck sword and shield tried to do.

This emulates the look of the DS games, Sw/Sh was a new game that looked like dogshit yet everyone started giving it a pass

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The chibi models in the ORAS shot are the same as in the overworld.
maxresdefault.jpg

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not impressed with how it looks but it looks fine. Won't be impacting the gameplay at all.

The real question is how far they're going with this remake in terms of content and whether or not it's just a straight 1:1 remake with nothing new.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Are the gen 3 remakes good or no?

I keep hearing mixed things

They're fine remakes of R/S, but they cut a lot of the cool Emerald exclusive content and the one new piece of content (episode delta) while good wasn't really what people were wanting to see. Compared to the prior remakes (FR/LG and HG/SS) those titles took elements from their later 3rd versions along with adding some significant new things like the sevii islands and the new safari zone.

Much in the same way people feel Emerald fixed a lot of issues R/S had and wanted to see those brought into the remake, Platinum fixed issues with Diamond/Pearl while adding cool new content like the dimension world. I know there are some people concerned these remakes won't bring in that Platinum content, but we did see at least one Platinum exclusive character in the trailer so there is some hope.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
They're fine remakes of R/S, but they cut a lot of the cool Emerald exclusive content and the one new piece of content (episode delta) while good wasn't really what people were wanting to see. Compared to the prior remakes (FR/LG and HG/SS) those titles took elements from their later 3rd versions along with adding some significant new things like the sevii islands and the new safari zone.

Much in the same way people feel Emerald fixed a lot of issues R/S had and wanted to see those brought into the remake, Platinum fixed issues with Diamond/Pearl while adding cool new content like the dimension world. I know there are some people concerned these remakes won't bring in that Platinum content, but we did see at least one Platinum exclusive character in the trailer so there is some hope.

Agreed

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, looks meh. If they were gunna go this style, would have liked more of a Link's Awakening vibe.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
It's pixelated because of the low resolution of the screen, not because of the models

Ok.

Thanks for the explanation. I asked about the Delta thing in another thread, but this was the best quick run down I've read about ORAS.

I have Platinum lying around, but I never got far into it. So I probably wouldn't miss anything if these don't bring anything over. But I played a lot of Emerald, so I never jumped into ORAS since that WOULD be something that I would be annoyed by.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
When the day comes when Pokemon fans get what they asked for. When the exact game to meet their dozens of demands is delivered to them, they will look down at their hands, see they are wrinkled with time and realise that it might have been something different they were trying to find. /s

Meh, they look fine to me.

I'm amused by all the people saying they would've been happy if it looked like Let's Go lmfao.
No you wouldn't, don't kid yourselves. If you were happy, you wouldn't have reason to complain about a new Pokémon game, and we can't be having that.
My disapproval of Let's Go is largely due to mechanical and content reasons, aesthetically the game didn't look bad.

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
its great. i dont need it to look like another Sword and Shield game. I am happy they went back to the classic style. Now we have all 3 different styles on the switch. This as the classic retro style, Lets Go style which represents the Sun and Moon(advance X/Y engine), and Sword and Shield engine with a new style 'Legends' coming and You all are still mad. Can Gamefreak get a break already! Im happy i can play all these on the switch so im not mad.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
It factually looks worse than Let's Go, no one with eyes will deny that. But you can't talk about feeling if you didn't okay it lol.

GASP! DIFFERENT ARTSTYLE? HOW DARE THEY?

The simplified aesthetic looks much better than whatever the fuck sword and shield tried to do.

This emulates the look of the DS games, Sw/Sh was a new game that looked like dogshit yet everyone started giving it a pass
that's the problem, what's the purpose of doing a switch remake of DP if they're just going to make it look as close to what it did on DS as possible? Every previous remake in the series tried to bring the fidelity and scale up to whatever was the current gen at the time.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
It looks fine; not 100 percent sold on the chibi-styled over world but not enough to deter my from getting a copy.

"objectively" you can stop with the hyperbole...

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
My only issues with the DP remakes visually is ILCA's weird artstyle with how they shade models and how they're lit in-game.

p08_01.jpg

These in-game battle shots to me feel so odd with how the characters are lit. (Look at Dawn...!!) They always feel brighter than the environment they're in. Completely unaffected by the lighting. Hopefully this is just an element that'll be polished up by release, but as of now, it pops out a lot to me in a gross way.

I also gotta admit that I find ILCA's art direction with character renders to be very unappealing. It has this pillow shaded style that I just don't jive with at all. I had the same issue with the Pokemon HOME renders, tbh.

Outside of these things, I think the overall look of BDSP is nice and pretty fitting for what they're going for. The chibi models could afford to be a little more chibi though (arms are too long, it looks awkward), and the run cycle could definitely be improved.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks fine. The tile-based games and their remakes have always used a chibi style for the overworld.
That's only because they were running on the engine of the newest (at the time) mainline game that also used chibi style for overworld.
I love the chibi look for Pokemon but these remakes do feel a bit cheap, I don't know, does it need cel shading? better textures? I don't know but something makes it feel ugly. I would've liked to have seen DP with the SWSH enigne but I'm fine with chibi but I don't get excited for these.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Looking at this

I think making it look different from Let's Go was a conscience choice

this Gen has 4 different main games currently on the market. Normally older games would be discontinued when new main titles release, but Lets Go, Sw/Sh, DP remakes and Arceus will all be on shelves at the same time

this hasn't really happened before. BW were on the same console as DP, and SM the same as XY, but the older games quietly left shelves before those new games released

meanwhile these remakes will have their boxes right next to every other main Pokemon game on the Switch

so it seems like they made a conscious decision to make all four games have distinct art styles as to make sure people know all four stand on mostly equal ground and none of them are the "latest" as past gens had done

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed.

I was never a big fan of OR/AS, but I liked that they took some liberties with the map/world design. So far this looks like more of a remaster than the remake, and while I understand that preserving the map design/feel of the original D/P/Pl may be appealing to a lot of people it doesn't do anything for me.

That being said if they do start to show off new features or a return to older features like Mega evolution/Sinnoh regional variants I may change my mind, but so far I don't see a reason to buy this game over Platinum.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How are y'all feeling it when it's not even out yet? Looks, I get. But feels?

I think it looks fine.

Nov 17, 2017
It looks fine. The tile-based games and their remakes have always used a chibi style for the overworld.

ylBFbhj.png
I feel like this sort of ignores the other clear pattern. The remakes have always adapted the current stylistic and graphical look of the current gen games. FR/LG look like R/S, HG/SS look like D/P and OR/AS look like X and Y. The D/P remakes feel like a regression from Sword and Shield.

"Tile-based" is also a pointless descriptor. Despite movement being strictly tile-based in Ruby and Sapphire, the remakes allows free movement. It appears that the D/P remakes do the same.The Let's Go games also managed it while not chibifying the characters to this extent. The way you lay out the character models shows a clear intent to get the overworld characters closer to their real proportions as tech allowed them do so but suddenly go backwards in the 4th step.

I realize the same people saying they're disappointed that the remakes don't look like Sword and Shield aren't necessarily the same people that endlessly criticized the way Sword and Shield look, but to go from the absolutely endless handwringing over the visual fidelity of gen 8 a year ago to this sure is exhausting
The problem with this assertion is the idea that there was only 2 ways for Pokemon to look and that you need to be happy with one or the other.

Just because people criticized the way Sword and Shield looked doesn't mean there was no merit to anything the game did visually or stylistically. I don't recall anyone complaining about how the human characters looked for example. No one said to throw away everything Sw/Sh did - more like people wanted it improved. This is a whole different direction, a regression to a perceived safer stylistic choice.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a Pokémon fan, so I can't say how it looks compared to other Pokémon titles, but I do think it's pretty ugly.

To be fair, I've watched the trailer a few times, and it barely gives you a look of the outside battle stuff. So maybe it's just a really bad trailer.

I usually love cute chibi art styles, but what I've seen in the trailer does not look cute to me. Their shape looks pretty rigid and stocky, like a Funko Pop. They don't seem to animate well, and they don't look very emotive, giving them a creepy doll-like appearance (but, again, this is based on limited footage from the trailer, so maybe they do have varied facial expressions and animations we haven't seen yet).

It does look kinda like a generic phone game, lol.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
While I don't personally care for the visuals, there are a number of other reasons why I'm staying away from the Pokemon franchise after Sword and Shield. Art style is really low on the list of the problems I've had with the games since at least Sun and Moon.

Oct 25, 2017
ORAS looks much better than this game, wtf are yall on lmao. It's honestly impressive how every remake since HGSS has gotten worse than the last.

That being said, "objectively" is a bit hard to say given we're talking about artstyles.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I actually think the visuals are fine, but the 1:1 remake aspect makes me very uninterested, especially since I still like the look of old D/P better. They'll need to make some changes to the base games other than artstyle for me to be even vaguely interested in this one