• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like these are the type of games that only exist because of a small fanbase willing to pay a bit extra for that niche thing they like

That's exactly what it is and pretty much the only reason these games get localized

I was so shocked i got Trials of mana physical for $40 I bought two more to resell somewhere down the line

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
So I traded in the most of my remaining disc games on PS4 in prepreation for my PS5 Digital Edition and went to rebuy one of my favorites Ys VIII digitally and I noticed the price on the PSN Store $59.99.... this game is 3 years old the only other company I see keep older titles this expensive is Nintendo, anyone know what's going on here?
Devloper/Publisher sets price. They have it set at MSRP. Game goes on sale for ~$30 a lot though

Jomatto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going digital only for the PS5 and it is essential to use price trackers since buying games has to happen on the publisher's time rather than your own.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
In the UK in the last couple of years a number of old games have actually gone up in price on PSN - some are more now than they were at launch.

I understand currency fluctuations (thanks Brexit) but I'm not convinced putting up the price of a PS3 game by £5 in 2020 is really going to bring in much extra revenue.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I just went through the exact same thing but on the eShop lol. Ended up getting it at $60 anyway. Was in the mood for a fun action jrpg and the trailer for IX got me really wanting to play this one first.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Because they printed out a limited amount of copies so you can now choose between $60 digital or $100 used.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
there's a surprising amount of older stuff on psn that, when it's not on sale, is still full price. it's like some publishers don't really care...

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
there's a surprising amount of older stuff on psn that, when it's not on sale, is still full price. it's like some publishers don't really care...
they don't. because for 300 days of the year, no one buys the game. but those 65 days when it goes on sale, it's pushed to the front of the eyes of users on the online marketplaces. and the idea of the brevity of the sale price pushes on impulses to buy in that moment.

in other situations, there might be people who don't know about or care about the older lineup because they literally forget it exists. i doubt activision is even aware what the price of their xbox 360 games are.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
they don't. because for 300 days of the year, no one buys the game. but those 65 days when it goes on sale, it's pushed to the front of the eyes of users on the online marketplaces. and the idea of the brevity of the sale price pushes on impulses to buy in that moment.

in other situations, there might be people who don't know about or care about the older lineup because they literally forget it exists. i doubt activision is even aware what the price of their xbox 360 games are.

reminds me of department stores now, where everyone (including the stores themselves) just kinda understands that no one ever buys anything until it's on sale...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They discount that game almost each month on PSN, there are plenty chances to buy it at $30 (Although I paid full price on launch day and I don't regret it)

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
RPGs are one of the main reason Im staying physical. The good games take a while to drop in price digitally

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
This is why digital only consoles/releases suck.

Having physical releases forces to the digital sales to go lower over time. Without that incentive, there's no real reason a company has to put anything on sale, or lower the price.

Exactly, in a world driven by profit, options are great allies for the consumer.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I got it for $30 and I've seen it at that price multiple times on the PS store since.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Likely reason: long-term sales of the game are not high enough, historically, to dedicate the time of an employee to collecting and collating sales trend data, checking it against probable competitors, and applying that to actively manage the product to try and maximize profit.

There's a lot of anime games on Steam where that seems to be the case. Is Bamco or whoever really going to have someone full-duty running the numbers of Berserk and the Band of the Hawk to figure out if they can squeeze another 23% profit margin by reducing the list price? Nah, it'll just sit there and maybe go on sale randomly whenever they do publisher-wide sales.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so playing above 60 feels super good but if this happens again i gotta cap it. Weirdly enough the bug didnt exist in the original crap port job
wonder if this is an issue on other falcom action games? tokyo xanadu is capped at 60 so that doesn't matter. Haven't noticed anything funky in the ys 4 remake ive played so far.

OP
OP
Ser_Luke

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Got it for $24.99 thank you for everyone telling me about the Japan sale!!!!!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Digital games always cost more than physical.
Which is why I think its insane to buy an all digital console.
You will be stuck paying rip off prices forever.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
As a coincidence, that's just what told myself the same this morning haha. I was quickly checking up the price as I want to do it before IX comes around. I guess it can wait until christmas sales tho.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Digital games always cost more than physical.
Which is why I think its insane to buy an all digital console.
You will be stuck paying rip off prices forever.

Sales happen so frequently so it's never a problem for me and I don't have the urge to play the latest stuff on day 1. There are very few IPs that I would be willing to pay full price for even if I have money to spend.

I plan on getting the PS5 Digital Edition but not during the launch period. Maybe 9-12 months after launch. By then, PS5 games should start appearing in these monthly sales.

I went all digital for PS4 and will do the same for PS5.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose if you wait for sales its not as bad.
Although the sales on console never seem as good as Steam sales.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Ser_Luke, good news

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA

Ys returns with a brand new adventure for the first time in 8 years Adol awakens shipwrecked and stranded on a cursed island. There, he and the other shipwrecked passengers he rescues form a village to challenge fearsome beasts and mysterious ruins on the isolated island. Amidst this, Adol...

It's $24.59 now (-59% off)

edit: ah, I saw you already bought it :)