• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
So I traded in the most of my remaining disc games on PS4 in prepreation for my PS5 Digital Edition and went to rebuy one of my favorites Ys VIII digitally and I noticed the price on the PSN Store $59.99.... this game is 3 years old the only other company I see keep older titles this expensive is Nintendo, anyone know what's going on here?

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm a big digital advocate but unfortunately without competition, the prices stay stagnant. I was trying to buy the original Dragon Quest Builders around this time last year and it was still $60 on PSN while it was like $20 on amazon

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If you only play on Playstation, then $60 is actually a deal considering how much physical copies are going for.

That being said, it's almost always full price on Steam as well, so it's not like it being full price on PSN is unusual.

EDIT: didn't realize that 'full price' on Steam is $40 now, not $60. Guess that sucks a bit more then.

Oct 27, 2017
Cheaper than getting a physical version, unfortunately. Glad I got a physical version for $30 because I wasn't even a huge fan of the game.

And also just it's always best to get any NIS America game Day 1 because these games barely have a print run.

The Utawarerumono remake that came out in May literally just doesn't exist physically for some reason, even though it got a physical release?

OP
OP
Ser_Luke

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
If you only play on Playstation, then $60 is actually a deal considering how much physical copies are going for.

That being said, it's almost always full price on Steam as well, so it's not like it being full price on PSN is unusual.

EDIT: didn't realize that 'full price' on Steam is $40 now, not $60. Guess that sucks a bit more then.

yeah $40 is what I see on average for normal older games on PSN that aren't on sale as well.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You know .. this will be a salty point for me because not two days after I spent damn near $45 bucks for a used copy of Gravity Rush 2, the damn game went on a digital sale for like $19.99 .. and I think that was the first time ever the game had gone on any kind of sale.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that happens a lot, I went to buy samurai warriors 4 at the digital store and saw it was still 59.99 after 5 years and just went to my local game store and bought it for 10 bucks.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel like most digital games don't get actual permanent price drops, as there is no stock they have to get rid of. Instead of thinking you need to rebuy it right now, you should just keep an eye on sales, especially as PSN has weekly sales nowadays.

Also worth noting that looking at the sale history on psprices, I would expect it to be on sale again relatively soon.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Publishers and developers are better at putting their games on sale and lowering MSRP over time than they used to be, but they still have a long way to go.

OP
OP
Ser_Luke

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
I feel like most digital games don't get actual permanent price drops, as there is no stock they have to get rid of. Instead of thinking you need to rebuy it right now, you should just keep an eye on sales, especially as PSN has weekly sales nowadays.

Also worth noting that looking at the sale history on psprices, I would expect it to be on sale again relatively soon.
Maybe that's the best idea, part of me is just paranoid it will get delisted or something and I'll be without it forever.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
It's just how it is, you have a lot of games that never got a price drop or a sale, it's a perk of the all digital future.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty dumb considering the ( finally ) superior pc version is 40 bucks.

Only non fighting game I double dipped on this gen and 100% worth it

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
This is why digital only consoles/releases suck.

Having physical releases forces to the digital sales to go lower over time. Without that incentive, there's no real reason a company has to put anything on sale, or lower the price.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Also, have you seen how much the physical edition goes for nowadays? Over $100 for CIB, not even new.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I got it on sale a year ago. I think it was $30. Just wait, it'll drop again.

Personally I've been waiting for a deal on I am Setsuna for Switch. Should've jumped on it when it went on sale a while back.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This is beauty (or ugliness) of going digital. You have no control when is the right time to buy games at the best price.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Falcom games go on sale a lot regardless of publisher I've noticed. But if you miss one of those sales the games are full price no matter how old generally. Just wait a couple weeks if you can, you should be good

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Never buy games on PSN unless there is a sale. I a recent sale I got Outer Worlds , Guilty Gear Xrd 2, torchlight 2, and bloodstained for under $60

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its so they can sell you it at what should be regular price during sales so they that dont need to go too low on price.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is why digital only consoles/releases suck.

Having physical releases forces to the digital sales to go lower over time. Without that incentive, there's no real reason a company has to put anything on sale, or lower the price.

Bingo. It's why physical media on consoles & digital gaming on PC are way superior to digital gaming on consoles.

The fact that people are championing digital only on consoles is baffling.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game is on sale on PSN EU. I assume the same will happen on PSN US in a few hours.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I come across 5+ yr old games that are $60 or "premium priced" all the time

last time I checked CoD blops 2 was $60 on 360

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like these are the type of games that only exist because of a small fanbase willing to pay a bit extra for that niche thing they like
but yes, i waited for a sale (and for some of the PC problems to get patched out) and nabbed it for $30. worth every penny, i don't finish games that much these days -- i played this from start to finish