• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
While Obama betrays a bit of his respectability politics blind spot in that hip hop oversimplification, the chauvinistic male power fantasy that is inherent to rap braggadocio is definitely a thing, and something that has been pointed out before. Trump has long been lionized in rap music purely for being "a rich dude." Literally zero other reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think "Rappers" have anything to do with Trump's increase Black turnout.

Trump was celebrated in rap music for the same reason America celebrated him in general. He was a symbol of success and capitalism and street rap is very capitalistic. So the man that embodied money here is going to get shoutouts in the music.

Anecdotally speaking, the minority idiots in my life that support Trump are bigoted, conservative about gender roles, and hyper religious.
Oh all facts.

I think people are saying Obama is assigning a 'cause & effect' attribution to rap, when he's actually doing a (admittedly very clumsy) correlation between the early 00's rappers who endorsed Trump, and Trump himself.

But also, at the same time, Obama is a near 60 year old Black man, who's out of touch with the current culture, and is pulling from values from a different generation. (But also also , you then have to consider how old are the Black men that voted for Trump, and are they from that same era?)

tl;dr It's a really tough nut to crack without really granular data, which we don't really have yet. And that's why I feel like it should be kept between us in-house, before we get white people chiming in and muddying the water.

Sorry for rambling!

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While Obama betrays a bit of his respectability politics blind spot in that hip hop oversimplification, the chauvinistic male power fantasy that is inherent to rap braggadocio is definitely a thing, and something that has been pointed out before. Trump has long been lionized in rap music purely for being "a rich dude." Literally zero other reason.
It is a thing but I'm willing to bet my life savings that the black men who support Trump probably don't even listen to rap music lol

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The mention of rap music seems like an ancillary example to illustrate quickly why some black men might have gone for Trump- capitalism. It's also not an example that hasn't ever been made by more left-leaning black folks. Let's not act shocked, nor air this out in white-ass Era, hmm?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I didn't really read that passage as Obama laying the blame on rap for Trump's increase in Black support so much as pointing out that those parallels were already there.

Regardless, Obama is clearly an extremely intelligent and insightful man, and I look forward to reading his book.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
f1aDJ2y.png

nice way to close it out and ties back in to ghengis khan/egypt and human behavior/history. i may not agree with everything obama said/did throughout his presidency, he is fallible as anyone, but it's clear that he gives real thought to the decisions he makes. and his head/heart are usually in the right place. his decency, humanity, empathy is clear. he, in some ways, was exactly the perfect never-trump republican haha

Last edited:

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't listen to the guy who put Goldman Sachs executives on his team during the financial crises. That sure helped democracy.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
There's no correlation. Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers, Businessmen (Musk), and your average upper middle class and middle class older man as well as really well paid welders, plumbers, etc all fall for that disinformation. Reducing it to class is reductionist as hell and trying to fit every thing into a certain political view that is quite frankly wrong.
The higher your income is, the more likely you are to read and subscribe to papers and real news outlets. The more likely you are to trust expertise. The more likely you are to be able to discern whether something is trustworthy or not. I'm of course not claiming that fake news is only shared/read by poor and middle class people, but to say there's no correlation is not correct. It's not purely class, but it is reinforced by class.

www.pnas.org

Science audiences, misinformation, and fake news

Concerns about public misinformation in the United States—ranging from politics to science—are growing. Here, we provide an overview of how and why citizens become (and sometimes remain) misinformed about science. Our discussion focuses specifically on misinformation among individual citizens...

Age is also a large factor, regardless of economics (below article, but also the sources above).

www.theverge.com

People older than 65 share the most fake news, a new study finds

And the finding holds true across party lines

Also, if you think that talking about political trends in terms of economic realities is "frankly wrong"... bruh.
Sorry, let me clarify. I was trying to say that the issue transcends economic conditions since it *also* affects those whose economic conditions are just fine.
Yeah sorry, my bad. Reading comprehension. I see what you're saying. Whether or not you want to indict neoliberalism in these things depends on how your broader perception of where these trends come from and what reinforces them.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess when social climbing is good it's "ambition" and "drive", but when it's bad it's whatever that comment about rap is.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It is a thing but I'm willing to bet my life savings that the black men who support Trump probably don't even listen to rap music lol

It's less of a reason, and more of identifying the overlap. Even in 2016, Trump did "better" than any Republican candidate with his share of the black male vote. There is a certain condition that Trump mobilizes; people who find empowerment in a confidence man.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mention of rap music seems like an ancillary example to illustrate quickly why some black men might have gone for Trump- capitalism. It's also not an example that hasn't ever been made by more left-leaning black folks. Let's not act shocked, nor air this out in white-ass Era, hmm?
The example falls apart when you think about how your average Trump supporting negro probably doesn't even listen to rap music. Nobody is shocked that it was said just surprised a bit that this is passing for political analysis.

Mar 10, 2018
Yeah I think the current perception of mainstream hip-hop is due to the nature of radio stations themselves and the type of music they choose to broadcast. You'll never hear any socially conscious hip-hop on the popular radio stations; only bands, bitches, and Bentleys 24/7. This is the same for other music genres as well. If your song isn't related to relationships and/or sex in any way, good luck getting played. This is why I'm glad streaming services have largely become the norm.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I get what you say about Obama needing mom jeans. This statement is somewhat accurate for a lot of rap between 2000 and 2010. You still have artist that put out a few songs about these topics, but that isn't the entirety of rap.
Yeah popular rap is way different than rap as a whole, and I know exactly what hes talking about. But really its a lot more based on the chauvinism, this is a similar thing with some male latino voters as well going for trump. Poor mans idea of Manliness.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Not sure if this is in response to me, but yes, I read this part and this is not at all what I'm talking about. Also blaming it on rap music smdh. Like, did rap music/culture change significantly or get more popluar between 2016 and 2020 among black men? This is a non-sequitur.

his point is Donald Trump is those things and John McCain and Mitt Romney certainly were not.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think the current perception of mainstream hip-hop is due to the nature of radio stations themselves and the type of music they choose to broadcast. You'll never hear any socially conscious hip-hop on the popular radio stations; only bands, bitches, and Bentleys 24/7. This is the same for other music genres as well. If your song isn't related to relationships and/or sex in any way, good luck getting played. This is why I'm glad streaming services have largely become the norm.

I think Obama is very aware of this himself if his annual playlists are anything to go by. It makes me think he was drawing a specific point by making it as simply as possible, which throws away the nuance in favor of being more clear in the link he's trying to make. It doesn't come off to me as him blaming rap music or the culture in general.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're going off topic but this isnt really true. Kendrick and Cole are two of the most successful rappers in the game right now with broad mainstream appeal and radio spins and their music is as conscious as it gets in 2020. Kanye West has said multiple times in the past that he owes his career to Jesus Walks a song that had mainstream success and radio spins.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think Obama is very aware of this himself if his annual playlists are anything to go by. It makes me think he was drawing a specific point by making it as simply as possible, which throws away the nuance in favor of being more clear in the link he's trying to make. It doesn't come off to me as him blaming rap music or the culture in general.
Yeah hes not. Just one simple example some men dig trump because he reeks of misgony

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I know we aren't having family talk outside now.

All I have to say is, look how Meg Thee Stallion is discussed by the aforementioned demographic on social media versus Future.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Of which he is right on the money.
Grab em by the pussy, I know other dudes that think and talk like that or are just straight assholes and yes it does resonate with some dudes. Not all of em. But trump been on rappers psyche for a long time in a lot of raps back in the day.
I know we aren't having family talk outside now.

All I have to say is, look how Meg Thee Stallion is discussed by the aforementioned demographic on social media versus Future.
Lmao. Yeah this kinda is in the house talk. But its very very true. Megan can never act up like how future can.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
his point is Donald Trump is those things and John McCain and Mitt Romney certainly were not.
Romney definitely wasn't, but McCain? He sold himself as a war vet political maverick. The fact that he embodied an older, more primitive form of American male chauvanism (religious, soldier, domineering) vs Trumps newer hypercapitalistic chauvanism (fame, business acumen, "political incorrectness") does not change that both were selling different variations of American male-hood. Trump's version was simply more in tune with whats popular today.

If Trump is rap, McCain was country.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Becoming a rich capitalist does not uniquely apply to a percentage of black people not voting for Obama's hand-picked candidate, Joe Biden.

No one blames Led Zeppelin or Rod Stewart for people voting for the wrong guy. No one blames the vanity of other modern pop artists for more White Women voting for Trump than in 2016.

A few rappers endorsing or not vigorously criticizing Trump did not sway the election. What is happening in this country that is failing to move the needle in people's lives that goes beyond superficial pop culture bullshit?

Why are people disillusioned and voting for reality TV stars in a political game that resembles entertainment removed from reality versus a process that will actually improve your life in material ways?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but the Republican candidate in 2016... was also Donald Trump. I am just not understanding the variable that changed w.r.t. culture. There are discernible changes in economic conditions though.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

It was a horrible ancillary example to make then, and undermines whatever greater argument he was shooting for. Obama should be keeping that kind of shit in-house too, and now we're guaranteed to hear some racists people "just asking questions" about black culture and then quoting Bams here. And now instead of talking about the legit issues that caused black support to drop for the Dems over the years, we'll be forced to go over generations of hip-hop and defend this and that.

And I've got plenty of problems when more left-leaning black folks make that lazy ass comparison as well.

But yeah, I'm not going to push too hard on this here, but more just frustrated again at Obama giving layups to disingenuous racists who are going to RUN with this.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
This is it right here. This is how all this shit falls apart. When you can't even agree on empirical, objective, factual information, there is no discourse to be had, no action can be taken. The middle cannot hold (or exist) and something will have to give, and it will almost assuredly come in the form of violent and avoidable death.
I finally got around to watching The Social Dilemma this weekend and it was eye-opening to see how people are genuinely operating under different realities. I think we're fucked unless the big tech and media companies change their tune in a big hurry (they won't because there's less profit to be made in peddling truth).

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's tempting to agree with the premise that democracy doesn't work anymore because consensus reality is broken. You see ~40% of the country who don't believe in any sort of externally verifiable real world and just follow whatever their favorite reactionary propaganda outlet tells them and it's hard not to ascribe all of our problems to that and despair.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry, my bad. Reading comprehension. I see what you're saying. Whether or not you want to indict neoliberalism in these things depends on how your broader perception of where these trends come from and what reinforces them.
I'm not against indicting neoliberalism where it makes sense and to the extent it actually is to blame. I just don't see it as particularly complicit in the remarks that Obama has made here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but the Republican candidate in 2016... was also Donald Trump. I am just not understanding the variable that changed w.r.t. culture. There are discernible changes in economic conditions though.

I think it's only a question due to the fact that he gained with minorities over 4 years (as a share of the electorate), and that there have been several visible incidences with rappers and their political opinions.

The 2020 results do not portend some great shift in the black vote at the national level.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Becoming a rich capitalist does not uniquely apply to a percentage of black people not voting for Obama's hand-picked candidate, Joe Biden.

No one blames Led Zeppelin or Rod Stewart for people voting for the wrong guy. No one blames the vanity of other modern pop artists for more White Women voting for Trump than in 2016.

A few rappers endorsing or not vigorously criticizing Trump did not sway the election. What is happening in this country that is failing to move the needle in people's lives that goes beyond superficial pop culture bullshit?

Why are people disillusioned and voting for reality TV stars in a political game that resembles entertainment removed from reality versus a process that will actually improve your life in material ways?
I know this is tangential to your actual point but IIRC Obama's hand-picked candidate was not Joe Biden and he in fact dissuaded him from running.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Very insightful interview. The issue of 'fake news' has always seemed terrifying to me but Obama really nails down why it's so destructive: it creates inability to have discussions about how to solve problems when evidence can be manufactured to suggest that the problems don't exist in the first place.
Reminds me of the Pynchon quote... "If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." (Biden has actually used that quote.)

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
The next Trump-like president will potentially have the backing of actual fake videos with convincing replications of whoever they want to disparage/incriminate, and the backing of an established right-wing propaganda network to disseminate it to the masses.

Things are not going to end well without serious changes.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is tangential to your actual point but IIRC Obama's hand-picked candidate was not Joe Biden and he in fact dissuaded him from running.
For 2016 for sure, but there's been reporting that Obama was instrumental in getting everyone to drop out and endorse Joe at the end of the primary. Which may have been the right call.
I'm not against indicting neoliberalism where it makes sense and to the extent it actually is to blame. I just don't see it as particularly complicit in the remarks that Obama has made here.
That's kind of my point though. He's talking about the deterioration of our civic life and social stability without seriously addressing the economic structures. Some of that is on the interviewer. It was the same in the book excerpts that have been released though. It's also been the case with his interviews and writings on the topic in the past.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
He was picked at the end, but agreed with your point about reports saying Obama didn't want him to run.

He was picked by the Democratic party voters in the primary, not by Obama. Obama is the reason Biden didn't run in 2016, and Obama was actively attempting to dissuade him from running in 2020.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
He was picked by the Democratic party voters in the primary, not by Obama. Obama is the reason Biden didn't run in 2016, and Obama was actively attempting to dissuade him from running in 2020.
Obama made calls for the other candidates to drop out and helped align the barrage of endorsements in the 72 hours before Super Tuesday.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Obama made calls for the other candidates to drop out and helped align the barrage of endorsements in the 72 hours before Super Tuesday.

When Biden was already significantly ahead. And he didn't make that call, Pete Buttigieg started the ball rolling on the moderates dropping out and endorsing Biden, and Obama called him afterward.

It was widely reported the Biden felt "hurt" by his former running mate's reluctance to openly or privately campaign for him, because Obama was dead set on staying out of things.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of my point though. He's talking about the deterioration of our civic life and social stability without seriously addressing the economic structures. Some of that is on the interviewer. It was the same in the book excerpts that have been released though. It's also been the case with his interviews and writings on the topic in the past.
On WHAT topic? Not everything boils down to our economic structures and it's completely disingenuous to suggest he hasn't acknowledged, discussed and tried to address economic inequality on many previous occasions.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Racists run with anything. Who really gives a fuck?

I do. Especially when they use the words of the most famous black dude on the planet as a shield.

Like when Obama mentioned 'Thugs' during the Baltimore riots.

So yeah, I want him and others to stop giving these layups, cause the kind of racists I'm talking about ain't just Bull Connor/Trump/Proud Boys types.

Oct 26, 2017
Really interesting read.

It's so weird. Reading him, you feel like Obama is pretty on point about a lot of things, especially when he mentions the class issue. But the end results of his presidency and his policies are so divorced from what he expresses, you can't help be wonder where it went wrong.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
On WHAT topic? Not everything boils down to our economic structures and it's completely disingenuous to suggest he hasn't acknowledged, discussed and tried to address economic inequality on many previous occasions.
The topic of our political dysfunction and our backslide from democratic norms. The main topic of the interview.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I do. Especially when they use the words of the most famous black dude on the planet as a shield.

Like when Obama mentioned 'Thugs' during the Baltimore riots.

So yeah, I want him and others to stop giving these layups, cause the kind of racists I'm talking about ain't just Bull Connor/Trump/Proud Boys types.
If 400 years haven't clued you in, there's nothing black people can do to prevent whites people from being racist. That's white folks' collective failure. If you want to critique the example on other grounds, sure have it. But "what will the whites think?"

Fuck 'em.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If 400 years haven't clued you in, there's nothing black people can do to prevent whites people from being racist. That's white folks' collective failure. If you want to critique the example on other grounds, sure have it. But "what will the whites think?"

Fuck 'em.
It's not about "what will the whites think" it's actually has more to do with the fact that Obama, a former president not just any random racist, is platforming respectability politics and spouting off racist tropes passing it off as legitimate political analysis to seemingly avoid reckoning with the shortcomings of his party this election. It should be pushed back against when someone of his stature in our society starts with this shit

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Really interesting read.

It's so weird. Reading him, you feel like Obama is pretty on point about a lot of things, especially when he mentions the class issue. But the end results of his presidency and his policies are so divorced from what he expresses, you can't help be wonder where it went wrong.

The easiest answer is sometimes the right one. It's _mostly_ republicans in power.