• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Do any of Valve's employees even remember that Big Picture Mode or the Steam Controller even exist? The UI has been left to rot as complete garbage.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of Valve's employees even remember that Big Picture Mode or the Steam Controller even exist? The UI has been left to rot as complete garbage.

BPM is still updated and should be the next big thing to get a redesign. As for Steam Controller, SCAPI is literally getting improvements every week or so... so yeah.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): Trolling
Blimey! Monopoly spends money to improve user engagement through technical changes to make more money!

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamers: "options are great! Why should we be forced to use Steam? Epic is actually paying more!!"

Steam: *adds independent soundtrack purchasing so that devs can earn more revenue for their work, adds new features that other platforms aren't even attempting

Gamers: "nah just use Spotify, new update sucks"

Anyway, personally I can appreciate this sort of thing for the people that want it. Maybe I'm missing something, but if I could take the soundtracks I buy and upload them to iTunes Match, I'd probably buy a few. Is that possible with these purchases? I would think so since they're stored locally.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Steam for implementing soundtracks as a separate entity from games, you know, something that Sony implemented more than 10 years ago. Truly the trailblazers of our time.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
I hate steams recent ui changes. My library feels like a mess now. I have never listened to soundtracks on steam

Oct 28, 2017
People who love video games so much that they just listen to the soundtracks in their spare time rather than like a band or a rapper or something are fascinating to me

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lol at steam being used as an example of an updating platform. Like... It's 2020 and we're just getting a sane soundtrack system? Cool I guess.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
People who love video games so much that they just listen to the soundtracks in their spare time rather than like a band or a rapper or something are fascinating to me
It doesn't really have anything to do with loving games, there are plenty of video games I dislike that have excellent soundtracks and I would still think so even if I wasn't a gamer. I listen to plenty of music outside of OST's but just because a piece of music is part of a soundtrack doesn't automatically make it "music only for listening while playing" anymore than say, EDM, Classical, Jazz etc.

Lol at steam being used as an example of an updating platform. Like... It's 2020 and we're just getting a sane soundtrack system? Cool I guess.
This is super disingenuous. Steam has made fairly massive improvements and additions to their platform, service and backend over the past half a decade. Just because it's not directly visible as an obvious UI element doesn't mean it's non-existent (though I do wish they did quicker work on updating and modernising the UI and UX of Steam, I don't think it's awful but it is outdated - Valvetime and all that). Not to mention that it's not like every other platform has a decent soundtrack system either.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Steam does a great job a rolling out new/improved features over time. I don't even see how this could be debated. Even if a feature is not something that I feel that I would use, I am always happy to see them. Options are great, even if atm they are not important to me.

Also, I really wish Epic would add a damned wishlist.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Steam for implementing soundtracks as a separate entity from games, you know, something that Sony implemented more than 10 years ago. Truly the trailblazers of our time.
How does that work if you want to transfer your music to your phone or whatever device you use for music?
Do you download the soundtracks via your console and then transfer them to an USB stick or such?
Or can you download them via an external website?
Bluetooth?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
ITT: Steam isn't the prettiest so it's the worst.

lol I hope ya'll choose your partners like you choose your platforms

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Steam may not be the prettiest, but I don't think anyone could argue it isn't the most functional and full featured.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Small platforms don't change their design/functionality because A) it's expensive and B) they are terrified any changes will reduce sales.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why no new store has tried the option of users "reselling" their games back to the store. When you give the game back so to speak you get a certain % back in store credit depending on what you paid for it for example (you couldnt be able to buy cheap during a sale and get back more than you paid for example). It would need to come out of the stores 30% cut or whatever but that may actually be a value added service people would care about rather than spending the money on money hats.

I hate steams recent ui changes. My library feels like a mess now. I have never listened to soundtracks on steam
I'm still using the old one, I wonder how long until it breaks without the new one

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why no new store has tried the option of users "reselling" their games back to the store. When you give the game back so to speak you get a certain % back in store credit depending on what you paid for it for example (you couldnt be able to buy cheap during a sale and get back more than you paid for example). It would need to come out of the stores 30% cut or whatever but that may actually be a value added service people would care about rather than spending the money on money hats.

I'm still using the old one, I wonder how long until it breaks without the new one

doesn't get people all tingly in the pants like the words "EXCLUSIVE" splashed everywhere. But yes, I think cashing out old titles is a great idea and would mobilize people to spend more on newer games.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure gloating that they are so far ahead of everyone is really a fair comparison when they have essentially an unlimited stream of money, and I would imagine quite a few employees to focus solely on Steam.

You do realize that Valve only has around 350 employees and they work on a ton of things besides Steam like Half Life Alyx, Steam VR, CSGO, DOTA2, DOTA Underlords, TF2, Steam hardware, Steam OS, network infrastructure, game prototypes that never see the light of day, developer relations and more right? I seriously doubt more than a dozen or two people primarily work on Steam (people can move around so no doubt this number fluctuates). Valve is actually a really small company despite the popularity of Steam and some of their games.

closer

Oct 25, 2017

Many have band/rapper contributions! HEALTH did an excellent soundtrack for Max Payne, Ben Babbitt, who contributed arrangements on the Angel Olsen record, did the excellent KRZ soundtrack, Lupe fiasco and snoop have both contributed to fighting games, etc. Most sports games also have a curated ST, but im unaware if they are available for purchase.

This isn't even mentioning really loved composers that are mainly known for games, like nobou uematsu (final fantasy) or lena raine (celeste), there is in general a large audience for diff kinds of music even if they arent top 40!

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Also, i know that ppl like to err on the side of the consumer and disregard things like steam's cut if it means a better consumer experience, but it's really important that artists be paid!

Rather than seeing an itunes-lite from steam, with the same cut, id rather see a service like bandcamp integrated or support for artists like a space to advertise their patreon or smnth.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Steam most recent update in it's chat feature broke it for my PC. It's so slow and clunky, and somehow I have less information about my friends play activities than before. When you don't have to assure that your new features works as well as the previous one in the same hardware, push changes is easier.

Also, 20 years of experience in digital plattaforms can't be bought for all the money in the world. To copy steam, the competitor need one thing that can't be bought: time.

Deleted member 7373

Love me some game soundtracks and use Steam a lot, now that they have made soundtrack support not stupid anymore (having to install the game to get to the soundtrack was... very stupid), I will definitely be picking up more soundtracks. Already grabbed a couple in this sale.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but feel like people are oversensitive to UI visuals. The Steam UI isn't "ugly", it's fine. The EGS client is also just... Fine. The main difference is that Steam is leagues more functional and provides far more and better information than almost anything else out there, console UIs included.

Also, what the fuck does "modern" mean in UI design, the definition practically changes every couple goddamn years. Though honestly while "flat" UI design is, well, clean and functional, I guess, it's also not really all that interesting or exciting.

But yeah, Steam is still way ahead of the pack in terms of features. EGS should really be able to catch up, but Epic started way behind everyone else did and also started drunk and throwing its money around to compensate. EGS is still fucking trash and it's almost baffling how the client is still way behind in terms of base features that should've been in from the fucking start.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This was a necessary change but I don't know why I'd choose to buy a soundtrack on Steam over Bandcamp even with this change.

Oct 27, 2017
One way to improve Steam would be not allowing massive amounts of shitgames being released on the service every week, and I don't see them doing any efforts on that front. They even encourage developers to release unfinished games and still charge for them, which is a crazy concept to me.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
As usual, Era shows complete ignorance on PC gaming
? Seriously question what is wrong/not factual in what I said?
Most updates from Valve take years and they have unlimited money and time is that wrong?

And just to clarify I have a steam account that is from 2003 beta time and still using it to this day I have been on steam longer then some have been alive here.

Carcosan Stag

AVALANCHE
Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
To be fair, it was doomed to happen even without OP's title. Every Steam or EGS discussions turn into "Opinions: the thread".

Yeah it's super discouraging to ever try and have PC-centric topics (especially Steam topics) on this website. OP's title may have been a bit inflammatory, but for the thread to have completely crashed and burned because of bullshit, off-topic posts left and right... It's just like, god damn people love to bitch about Steam no matter what strides or improvements Valve make.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
? Seriously question what is wrong/not factual in what I said?
Most updates from Valve take years and they have unlimited money and time is that wrong?

And just to clarify I have a steam account that is from 2003 beta time and still using it to this day I have been on steam longer then some have been alive here.
Yeah i miss-read your post, apologies.