• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam is so far ahead of everyone that its almost frustrating and puzzling to see nobody attempting to copy what they have done and improve their own digital game platforms at all. The gap is widening with the recent revamping of the soundtrack feature being one of the latest key examples.

In case you are out of the loop, Valve have recently changed the soundtrack feature drastically, turning soundtrack from just a mere DLC into a proper application type.

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steamworks Development :: Steam Soundtrack Updates

Today we're enabling new functionality to better support gaming soundtracks on Steam. This new functionality can broadly be broken into two categories: fixing customer experience issues with the current "soundtrack-sold-as-DLC" model, and completely new features. Fixing Existing Issues Up until...

For starter, they ain't sold as a DLC anymore, which means players do not have to purchase or download the based game to purchase the soundtrack. Game developers can sell their soundtracks even if the game isn't releasing on Steam (so theoretically Nintendo and Sony can release soundtracks to their 1st party games if they want). The developer can also provide more than 1 file format type for the soundtrack (eg high quality audio depot like FLAC or raw WAV), as well as association such as album art. Also, new interface for soundtracks, and the tracks are stored locally onto your PC. And many more you can read in the link above.

What further sets them apart is that the soundtrack page has proper formatting for the track listing, showing the individual titles and runtime, a credits section and even multiple tabs for multiple 'discs'. Developers can provide more details with ease about the soundtrack for the consumers. Many developers have put up soundtracks for sales, and here are some examples:

store.steampowered.com

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove Soundtrack Collection on Steam

Music is a big part of Shovel Knight! From the heroic Shovel of Hope to the somber Specter of Torment. Jake Kaufman used hobbyist tools to write the soundtrack, resulting in 5 hours of music that can be played on a real NES/Famicom console! Joining him is the legendary Manami Matsumae!
store.steampowered.com

Resident Evil 7 biohazard Original Soundtrack on Steam

Resident Evil 7: biohazard Original Soundtrack contains 81 bone-chilling tracks including the extended version of Go Tell Aunt Rhody.
store.steampowered.com

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - Turnabout Tunes on Steam

A must-have for any Ace Attorney fan, this 24-track compilation features 14 in-game tracks, 8 orchestral, piano, and jazz arrangements, and sees the debut of 2 new vocal tracks: "Turnabout Sisters - Seaside Swing" and "Eternal Victory - Endings and Beginnings".

And then there's a selection. Right now there are over 900+ soundtracks from various games on Steam. On the closest competitor (PS Store) there are slightly less than 150 soundtracks.

And nearly every other gaming platforms doesn't offer gaming soundtrack for sale. While Steam is already in the second lap, they haven't even start moving their feet.

All these improvement provides many benefits: allow developers to have one more ways of generating revenue, fans to give more support to their favorite developers, game music lovers to buy and enjoy the soundtracks even better, the audio talents have more recognition, more organized way of having more details of the soundtrack before buying etc.

Its by no mean perfect and there's room for improvement (eg allow users to listen to them on mobile, buying individual tracks) but at this point, its likely we see Steam implementing these improvements than its competitors doing any catch up. Hopefully they will do the same for art book feature next.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
User banned (1 day): drive-by trolling
Steam's most recent update only made the platform worse, if you want soundtracks try a music streaming service

You can ban me all you want it doesn't make Steam hideous misuse of space any better 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Music is best where I can actually listen to it, so... Spotify. Just put the soundtracks on Spotify.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly GoG is the only one trying to compete with different innovations, but even then they cannot reach the volume of updates Steam does.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure the term for what you're describing is "selective perception"

I am by no means a fan of e.g. Origin or Uplay, because their UI is even worse than the already shitty Steam UI but oh boy have those stores improved over time.

GoG is improving constantly and even the EGS is in a much better state than it was even 12 months ago.

Also, I don't want soundtracks on Steam...

Dec 14, 2019
Because some publishers force exclusivity. If you want to play their games, you have to deal with their crappy launcher. The company who should improve their client is Epic, but they also go with exclusives.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

I am by no means a fan of e.g. Origin or Uplay, because their UI is even worse than the already shitty Steam UI but oh boy have those stores improved over time.

Origin improved things for a while but it's pretty bad nowadays. I played Apex regularily recently, and the Overlay is often just non-fonctional. Apex doesn't need it but for playing say, BF, it's really bad.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

GoG is improving constantly and even the EGS is in a much better state than it was even 12 months ago.

Also, I don't want soundtracks on Steam...

What's the problem with having soundtracks on Steam? I'm a big fan of this update, it finally let me buy some soundtracks I wasn't able to get elsewhere before (and before you tell me to use streaming services, I can't use them on my phone and I can use the files I got from Steam, so that's already a big plus for me).
At the end of the day, it's more options, which is always good. Devs can now make some money from soundtracks even if people aren't interested in the base game, for instance.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Also, back to the topic in case (soundtracks). Even after the previous update to the Steam Music player late last year, it is still quite meh by itself and should still be upgraded to be good.
Steam Music also lacks some functionality similar to that in Xbox where you are able to play your music over the game easily (or heck, Spotify integration in an easy way. It shouldn't be that hard as there is a per app music control in Windows nowadays).

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After reading your title I was expecting a more compelling argument than "they sell more soundtracks".

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really struggling to understand why I would use Steam for game soundtracks when Spotify is a significantly better user experience for that.

Then you're not struggling hard enough, because maybe people don't want to pay monthly? Maybe people would like to buy deluxe editions of games and get a soundtrack with it, or hell maybe people want to keep the files on their drive to do with what they want.

People who say I don't want soundtracks that's fine don't buy them, some people do already.

I don't want it so no one else does etc etc

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, back to the topic in case (soundtracks). Even after the previous update to the Steam Music player late last year, it is still quite meh by itself and should still be upgraded to be good.
Steam Music also lacks some functionality similar to that in Xbox where you are able to play your music over the game easily (or heck, Spotify integration in an easy way. It shouldn't be that hard as there is a per app music control in Windows nowadays).

Games have to be designed for the soundtrack to get controlled by the OS, you can't get a system like steam to override game musix unless the games and the steamapi have this.

Feb 5, 2020
It would be useful if they forced every DLC soundtrack to turn into its own standalone thing instead of devs having to opt-in. I'm still waiting for Travis Strikes Again's soundtrack to do this.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
? Other game platforms get updates all the time.
There are many types of updates. Most of the mainstream stores are basically on default mode where no substantial update (that is something that adds new functionality) occurs.

Games have to be designed for the soundtrack to get controlled by the OS, you can't get a system like steam to override game musix unless the games and the steamapi have this.
Let a man dream. Still something they should work on.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam is horrible and feels and looks like a 2000s era store though. I actively avoid using it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is a sorely needed feature, the last system was garbage. I hope they notify the developers who have eligible soundtrack DLC for converting cause there's a ton of existing soundtracks that need to get added to this.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox Game Bar has Spotify integration, you can always use that. Or just, win+d to the desktop and change the song.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox Game Bar has Spotify integration, you can always use that. Or just, win+d to the desktop and change the song.
Xbox Game bar is shit tho (or at least I dont like it at all). Also yeah I know that I can always go to desktop (and my keyboard itself has keys to change the song), but it being native support would be much better. I am just saying that Steam implementation is still a bit lackluster!

I would also want to be able to put more apps into the Steam Overlay stop (the one that by default is alt+tab) such as Discord too.

This is a sorely needed feature, the last system was garbage. I hope they notify the developers who have eligible soundtrack DLC for converting cause there's a ton of existing soundtracks that need to get added to this.
They notified all Steamworks devs and added a program to easily convert current DLC to soundtrack type.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I kinda agree that all the others are static where as steam just isn't... Except for GoG but how they operate as a platform / ecosystem is vastly different to anything else.

It's really strange that market leader is the only one innovating consistently (again except GoG).. the others just seem to do sprints of improvements every now and again with huge gaps of nothing in between.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Music is best where I can actually listen to it, so... Spotify. Just put the soundtracks on Spotify.
I'm really struggling to understand why I would use Steam for game soundtracks when Spotify is a significantly better user experience for that.
For many less fortunate people:

y5ZvFGi.png

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
There are many types of updates. Most of the mainstream stores are basically on default mode where no substantial update (that is something that adds new functionality) occurs.

Let a man dream. Still something they should work on.
That is a ridiculously silly statement when GOG Galaxy 2.0 was just put to open beta, Epic keeps adding features (not as quickly as customers would want/appreciate, but it's not an opinion whether they are adding features or not; they are) and plenty of other platforms are adding stuff to. Like, maybe uPlay and Origin can be blamed of being a bit stale, but the idea that only Steam is updating their storefront is dumb.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
What store do you think looks/feels better? Steam is probably the most convenient one imo.

Steam's advantage is in its featureset/functionality. In regards to look and feel, it's basically worse than the vast majority of its competition.

Like even the simple act of playing a trailer in fullscreen somehow manages to frequently result in the video playing whilst hidden behind the client frontend. For a store that predates all its competition by so many years, its UI is pretty much shocking.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Great stuff. Having such a broad selection in one place is really appreciated. I don't much care for Spotify so this is way more relevant to me. As for the music player, I'll just use MusicBee as usual. Not much of a knock against it imo. Don't use iTunes for the music I buy there either.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
My request still stands: I'd like gaming soundtracks to be available on Bandcamp, because Bandcamp is easily the best music purchasing platform available these days. Lots of smaller games already do this and it's fantastic. (Come to think of it I think the very first purchase I ever made on Bandcamp was the soundtrack for Plants vs. Zombies.)

Back to the main topic: other storefronts have improved in meaningful ways since their launch as well, sometimes in ways that even beat Steam to market. Origin was the first to offer automated refunds, for example.

I think the main issue is that most storefronts are still just an extension of a publishing brand--EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Rockstar's stores still exist primarily to push their own games, even if third party games exist on some of their services--and thus have less incentive to improve their feature set because they already have a semi-captive audience. GOG have been working on their Galaxy client quite a bit, and have introduced their own store policies like Fair Pricing (though unfortunately I think that program is over now due to publishers getting an increased cut of revenue). EGS is the odd store out at the moment but they're also the newest player so it's harder to know if there'll be significant improvements long-term or not.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That is a ridiculously silly statement when GOG Galaxy 2.0 was just put to open beta, Epic keeps adding features (not as quickly as customers would want/appreciate, but it's not an opinion whether they are adding features or not; they are) and plenty of other platforms are adding stuff to. Like, maybe uPlay and Origin can be blamed of being a bit stale, but the idea that only Steam is updating their storefront is dumb.
I have said several times that GoG is the only ones that do that, even in this same topic:

Sadly GoG is the only one trying to compete with different innovations, but even then they cannot reach the volume of updates Steam does.

About Epic, I am not going to give praise to a store updating when it is still behind Origin in 2011 lvl of functionality. When they are at the level they should be at launch I will give them praise for continuing updating.

Back to the main topic: other storefronts have improved in meaningful ways since their launch as well, sometimes in ways that even beat Steam to market. Origin was the first to offer automated refunds, for example.
That example is actually from when Origin launched (well got rebranded) back in 2011. Since then, I cannot think of another major EA update (outside of UI changes which have been... eh) that is not EA Access (the first main subscription service).

Also, I still dont believe the "increase developer cut" to remove the "fair price policy" excuse from GOG. It hasnt shown at all in their revenue in their financial reports.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
EGS looks miles better. Steam's UI is really outdated outside of the new library layout. Even Uplay is cleaner and more modern.
I hate the blocky look from the EGS, it feels like a Windows 8 app :S.

U-Play looks good but I've only booted it standalone like twice so no opinion on that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure gloating that they are so far ahead of everyone is really a fair comparison when they have essentially an unlimited stream of money, and I would imagine quite a few employees to focus solely on Steam.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'm not sure gloating that they are so far ahead of everyone is really a fair comparison when they have essentially an unlimited stream of money, and I would imagine quite a few employees to focus solely on Steam.

Are Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Epic, EA or Ubisoft small companies with limited funds? Odd point to make.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Yeah OP while your soundtracks download feature as an example is not the most compelling of arguments why steam keeps improving and adding features while other 'competing' stores don't focus on it at all, Iam also baffled and disappointed that these stores don't try offering the user a better experience and build their store instead of rushing it. If they wanna make quick cash then sure rush it but if they really wanna compete with steam then build up your store and take some risks if you wanna compete with the biggest juggernaut that is steam and if you have the money as the digital platform maker then by all means go aggressive on the features and UI side. Steam while is pretty great for PC gamers it still lacks quite a bit in the UI department. So, this is one area where their weakness is clearly visible.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the likes of EA, Ubisoft, and Epic have more than enough money and employees to compete with Valve.

It isn't about the lack of resources that they don't compete with Valve, it's more about giving a shit to improve beyond the most basic of features that, in all likelihood, won't see a direct increase in profits. And they only care about profits.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I have said several times that GoG is the only ones that do that, even in this same topic:

About Epic, I am not going to give praise to a store updating when it is still behind Origin in 2011 lvl of functionality. When they are at the level they should be at launch I will give them praise for continuing updating.

That example is actually from when Origin launched (well got rebranded) back in 2011. Since then, I cannot think of another major EA update (outside of UI changes which have been... eh) that is not EA Access (the first main subscription service).

Also, I still dont believe the "increase developer cut" to remove the "fair price policy" excuse from GOG. It hasnt shown at all in their revenue in their financial reports.

Nope, Origin added it in 2013. I did try to do my research.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Are Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Epic, EA or Ubisoft small companies with limited funds? Odd point to make.

Are we about to act like the comparable platform holders (those getting a 30% from sales from basically every major 3rd party in existence), are not similarly improving their platforms?

Nintendo admittedly suck hard in this regards tho.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, Origin added it in 2013. I did try to do my research.
Damn, totally got the date wrong sorry. Well then they did 2 major things since 2011 (and both imo gamechanging).

Are we about to act like the comparable platform holders (those getting a 30% from sales from basically every major 3rd party in existence), are not similarly improving their platforms?

Nintendo admittedly suck hard in this regards tho.
They also charge for you playing online and do not tend to improve at Steam's rate. PSN discoverability is still very shit.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like Steam quite a lot but certainly not because of some soundtrack feature. Put those on Spotify where I listen to music instead.