• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you been to MrBeast Burger?

• Yes

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 276 36.7%
  • Who.gif

Votes: 455 60.5%

• Total voters

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of this before, but it's actually a pretty fascinating concept.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
A great Texas bbq restaurant in Seattle (Jacks BBQ) set up his own ghost kitchen for fried chicken and was pretty damn great. I was chatting with the owner and the margins were great and helping through the pandemic

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
A great Texas bbq restaurant in Seattle (Jacks BBQ) set up his own ghost kitchen for fried chicken and was pretty damn great. I was chatting with the owner and the margins were great and helping through the pandemic

So maybe I'm missing something, but why not just sell fried chicken under his restaurant's name? Unless he was using a celebrity of some kind for added brand recognition, or his brand would be hurt by making fried and not bbq chicken, I don't see the point?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was real and a joke.
mIHtwgk.jpg

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
So maybe I'm missing something, but why not just sell fried chicken under his restaurant's name? Unless he was using a celebrity of some kind for added brand recognition, or his brand would be hurt by making fried and not bbq chicken, I don't see the point?
Fried chicken didn't really fit his restaurant theming overall but could still use the kitchen space. All I know is it has worked out for him.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Let's use the Chili's ghost restaurant as an example.

I'm craving wings tonight. I type "wings" into the search of my favorite food app. Do I order from Chili's, or from Just Wings? Just Wings sounds pretty good, they specialize in wings, its not a big chain restaurant like Chili's. Yeah, I want Just Wings tonight!

Meanwhile, my order for Just Wings goes straight to the kitchen at Chili's.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
When you don't have to lease a big building to allow for dine-in customers there's less staff, less maintenance, less taxes. I can understand why margins are great for these delivery-only restaurants.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I'm craving wings tonight. I type "wings" into the search of my favorite food app. Do I order from Chili's, or from Just Wings? Just Wings sounds pretty good, they specialize in wings, its not a big chain restaurant like Chili's. Yeah, I want Just Wings tonight!

Sure. I think even Chuck E Cheese did a similar thing (and I can understand that with their branding). But I'd figure yelp reviews or whatever would point that out right away.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see how well this last a year from now. Not even 2 months old at this point.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Sure. I think even Chuck E Cheese did a similar thing (and I can understand that with their branding). But I'd figure yelp reviews or whatever would point that out right away.

Yeah, you can actually tell in the delivery app where it's actually from, it's in the small print. I assume enough people don't care to look into it to make it worthwhile.

Another way to look at it using the example of the BBQ restaurant above is less nefarious, it better surfaces that part of your menu to the customer. Someone looking for fried chicken might skip over the BBQ restaurant menu but will check out the fried chicken restaurant menu.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So THAT'S how they have so many locations nearby that seemingly popped up out of nowhere!

I checked on Yelp (always take it with a grain of salt, since everyone is usually service > food with bad reviews) and apparently these burgers suck at several locations at like a 1-star level. Looking at the pictures, the grilled cheese was as thin as paper, one burger was missing the top bun, and it came out soggy and junk. I don't think I'll grab any food any time soon. First I heard of the "ghost kitchen" concept which I guess sounds good on paper, but clearly it sounds like the workers either don't care, or aren't paid well or something, especially when the meals look super pricey in my area :/

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Good - no MrBeast Burger here. We have a decent restaurant/food culture here anyway and don't need shitty influencer restaurant brands with no consistency or chain-wide quality control - just a name. What a stupid idea.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The food coming out of it looks like an abomination. I'd hope this stuff is cheap as ahit cause they'd sure as hell be getting sent back with complaints even coming out of a cheap takeaway. Some of it would feel at home on a Fyre Festival menu.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed a Ghost Kitchen near me in Atlanta, which was annoying because I thought I found a new restaurant but it was just one of these. I googled the address and this is on google maps:

shacPQK.png

How dystopian. The strangest thing to me is that Ghost Kitchens are usually these little independent places, but this one features a bonafide Popeyes. I wonder if the quality is like a real Popeyes, but I'm not trying to order and find out.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Era showing its age again with all these "Who.gif" votes. I've never watched a single second of MrBeast content but I still know who he is, come on now lol

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
We ordered Mr Beast maybe a month ago. It was just OK. Probably as average a restaurant burger as you can get. Similar to what you would receive if you ordered a burger from a place that didn't specialize in burgers. The fries were thick cut crinkle if I recall correctly. Super basic there as well. That said, we won't bother with them again.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
There is a place near here that does this. It's a wing shop. It's super cheap, but they don't deliver to my place.

To be fair, no one does :(

Absurdeity

Jun 2, 2018
I went to a place here in LA that was essentially just a couple kiosks where you can order food from multiple different restaurants or food joints. When the door leading to the back opened, you could just see a hallway with many doors lined up on both sides of the hall, each I'm assuming a kitchen. There were at least 20 different places to choose food from.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
There's a place near me that has like 8 different restaurants in one building that does kitchen equipment rental, and some of them are fantastic (one of them is a chicago-style pizza place that only makes 40 pizzas a day and it's awesome). If you're doing takeout there are doorbells by the window that you ring for each restaurant and someone comes to the window to take/give your order.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

When I buy food, I try to get an idea of what people say about the place. I don't randomly throw money at restaurants only to eat crap.

You can't on one hand complain about "no culture, just a facade" and then put money in restaurants with no history and complain. It's like with hotels.

Thankfully, we have reviews and word of mouth.

Most restaurant chains have standards in place so the food tastes the same everywhere. A Big Mac tastes the same in New York as it does in LA because they use the exact same pressure cooker, meat, bun, sauce, toppings etc. Not to mention standardized training of staff on how to prepare the food. These resturants pay attention to everything. I remember watching something about french fries and all the fast food chains spend millions researching every aspect of a fry. The type of potato, the type of soil, the fertilizers used, when they are harvested, the type of oil used in the fryer, the temperature of the oil, the length of time the fries are cooked. They fiddle with everything.

I don't think these things are even possible with this business model. Some of the stuff like say the exact type of onion used may not matter that much, but some of that stuff really, really matters.

Also wonder how many people would pay $20 for a burger that would cost $10 if it didn't have a youtubers name on it or whatever. Then again, every once and a while I get curious and go to a website mentioned in a podcast ad and I am floored with how much some of the stuff advertised costs.

Podcaster: OMG this cereal is so great
*goes to website*
Me: $15 for one box of cereal that's 1/2 the size of a $5 box of Frosted Flakes? Who the hell is buying this?

But the ads keep happening so someone must be.

The thing is no one has to buy food from a place that they don't like, or has a been reputation. As with buying pretty much anything that isn't essential. So the businesses will try to get the enjoyment of their service to increase so they can keep making money instead of just having a growing debt that leads to their constant bankruptcy. Things either work or they don't, and they can improve what doesn't, learn from mistakes, etc. But considering the savings, this isn't going away, it will just improve.

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Most restaurant chains have standards in place so the food tastes the same everywhere. A Big Mac tastes the same in New York as it does in LA because they use the exact same pressure cooker, meat, bun, sauce, toppings etc. Not to mention standardized training of staff on how to prepare the food. These resturants pay attention to everything. I remember watching something about french fries and all the fast food chains spend millions researching every aspect of a fry. The type of potato, the type of soil, the fertilizers used, when they are harvested, the type of oil used in the fryer, the temperature of the oil, the length of time the fries are cooked. They fiddle with everything.

I don't think these things are even possible with this business model. Some of the stuff like say the exact type of onion used may not matter that much, but some of that stuff really, really matters.

Also wonder how many people would pay $20 for a burger that would cost $10 if it didn't have a youtubers name on it or whatever. Then again, every once and a while I get curious and go to a website mentioned in a podcast ad and I am floored with how much some of the stuff advertised costs.

Podcaster: OMG this cereal is so great
*goes to website*
Me: $15 for one box of cereal that's 1/2 the size of a $5 box of Frosted Flakes? Who the hell is buying this?

But the ads keep happening so someone must be.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
When I buy food, I try to get an idea of what people say about the place. I don't randomly throw money at restaurants only to eat crap.

You can't on one hand complain about "no culture, just a facade" and then put money in restaurants with no history and complain. It's like with hotels.

Thankfully, we have reviews and word of mouth.

Well yeah. Personally, I know to look and see if it's a ghost kitchen or "real" place. I'm just playing devil's advocate on why an existing restaurant might want to break out part of their menu into a ghost kitchen. It seems to be working for them.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That disgusting ass burger, 10 fries and what looks like cookie refuse is not convincing me on the dining revolution we obviously have on our hands here.

Couple that with a garnish of who.gif please.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I would try it just out of pure curiosity but also the who.gif is funny just cause we're showing our age