• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That also proves my case. Who's to say in 3 years, Microsoft is still struggling with a consistent release lineup of games? That may be the case, that may not be. It's hard to say "buy more studios" is an answer when we don't even know if that will work for Microsoft.

3 years in from what?
They announced 4 acquisitions in June 2018

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
It's not ideal, but you're looking at the launch window and concluding that because of that, a long term, multi year strategy doesn't work

When Microsoft purchased Bethesda it wasn't to get exclusives out for the launch window, it's to grow the brand and make their ecosystem more appealing over time

Halo being delayed sucks, might be due to bad management, and probably wasn't helped by COVID, but that doesn't mean their long term plans won't pan out
I'm not saying this won't be a good long-term investment. I'm just saying I wouldn't be coming to that conclusion just yet.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Same OP behind this

www.resetera.com

Is Xbox's problem with first party a lack of identity?

When looking at all three Xbox Consoles to date, I begin to notice something very interesting about games from Microsoft Studios (now Xbox Game Studios). As a publisher, Microsoft never really seemed to have much of a core identity or vision in their games. What I mean by this is that Microsoft...

No wonder she is trying again.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
They have over a dozen teams working on games from in-house and external developers, roughly the same as SIE and XGS. Nintendo is just fine.

While you're right Nintendo is fine, Xbox first party will be over 30 teams with the Zenimax purchase. The idea that such a large group of devs won't produce games seems illogical to me.

Same OP behind this

www.resetera.com

When looking at all three Xbox Consoles to date, I begin to notice something very interesting about games from Microsoft Studios (now Xbox Game Studios). As a publisher, Microsoft never really seemed to have much of a core identity or vision in their games. What I mean by this is that Microsoft...

Who could have guessed lol

Jan 21, 2019
They have put out 10 games this year?!?! Just because they are PC or current gen doesn't mean they don't count. What a terrible thread.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not that i think nintendo will go on a shopping spree, but microsoft's strategy has been paying off for them big time. they published a lot of games in 2020, a lot of them being really well received. it'll only get better in the future, soon they'll have at least 7 or 8 big games a year, with smaller games filling the gaps.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Same OP behind this

www.resetera.com

They copped a two week ban for that for console warring. Pretty brazen to try again with a similar narrative.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Lol. Don't worry you'll get the usual "Nintendo should only work with third party devs" until those third party devs leave Nintendo. Nintendo should be building more. They got like 5 full development studios.

That's true lol. And then they are considered traitors or something.

Depending on third party is never good, MS did what they should have.

Any example post N64?

Platinum just did a multiplatform deal with Tencent.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Op just made a thread saying more content creators is bad if you want more content.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm sorry but your premise is wrong.

Ms had a hell of an year with 15 released games, 10 brand new, with excellent scores across the board including 2 90+ games. And they achieved that in less than 2 years since the acquisitions happened. This shows the complete opposite a super quick turnover into quickly getting content from the acquisitions.

So what they missed the standout AAA for the console launch? It was never the plan to use the studios to pack the SX release with dozens of games but to ensure they always have content coming up which I'm sure they will have another packed year next year. Also they leveraged all the platform work they did so the games they launched leading up to SX can be easily enhanced so if you missed any of those 15 games on xbone you can still get them on a SX and see tangible benefits compared to cross gen and remasters.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's issues with a lack of launch titles are entirely self-inflicted though. It's great that they wanted to get titles out as soon as possible and support Game Pass with a big variety of releases, but I can't help but feel holding back stuff like Gears Tactics, Grounded and Flight Simulator to launch with next gen would have made a really strong case for their new console. I know that might be counter to their current strategy but personally I feel like a new generation should have a bit of razzle dazzle to justify its existence.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying this won't be a good long-term investment. I'm just saying I wouldn't be coming to that conclusion just yet.
You really think all the talent at Zenimax might forget how to make good games and the likes of id, Arkane and Bethesda may churn out nothing of value in the coming years? What nonsense. Just make a thread that says "I want to console war against MS" and be upfront about it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the funny thing about saying we can't see the result of their investment just yet is that we just had a whole year of seeing the results.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thread is basically entirely due to Microsoft releasing most of their first party games in August for some dumb reason. Had they held off until October or November, nobody would be complaining.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Same OP behind this

www.resetera.com

The OP seemed oddly defensive and about a half step from console warring, then I read this

Status
Not open for further replies.