• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
I think Mario Kart DS was one of the first games I've ever played online. I spent so much time playing it. I mastered snaking and got pretty decent at the game, but I stopped playing when I got Animal Crossing: Wild World.

Oct 27, 2017
Snaking Kart DS is not it. Not if you cared about balance and fun for everyone

That's why I enjoyed it the most out of all the MK outside of 64. The game actually required you to get good at the tracks if you wanted to win. I've had some of the most heart pounding, palm sweating races in Mario Kart DS vs. my coworkers who all bought DS Lites just so we could have 8 player races and man was it fun. I play MK8DX and that shit is so simplified now that it's a complete joke.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
good driving physics,incredible weapon system still unmatched in the series and the last time battle mode was truuly great..somehow they never managed to strike it so well in future installments.
64 has the opposite of good physics. It's like driving in a pinball machine. The visuals also hold up the least in the series.

Jun 10, 2018
MKDS is the only one that's skill based and where the items are perfectly balanced, meaning the best racers aren't penalized for being too good.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
No, no it is not. MKDS is fine but MK8 dwarfs it in every conceivable category. Trash ass snaking. Hackers all over the place online. Bruh please.

Don't make me.... dont you make me..

And the only people who think finishes in MK8 are 100% luck based are bad players. You are telling on yourself big time when you say stuff like that.

Oct 25, 2017
No, no it is not. MKDS is fine but MK8 dwarfs it in every conceivable category. Trash ass snaking. Hackers all over the place online. Bruh please.

Don't make me.... dont you make me..

And the only people who think finishes in MK8 are 100% luck based are bad players. You are telling on yourself big time when you say stuff like that.
I highly disagree. Just don't snake! That's all.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This MK8 slander and disrespect is killing me right now. The GOAT won't stand for this. Resetera will regret this one day.

Dezzy8

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2018
This thread is to praise MKDS not shit on MK64. I played 64 for years and it was amazing.

Nov 1, 2017
No, sorry. Snaking ruined that game. It's been bettered in every single way by Mario Kart 8, just doesn't compare. In fact both Smash Ultimate and Mario Kart 8 are gonna be pretty tough for Nintendo to follow up on, they've kind of screwed themselves over a bit (in a good way i guess!) with those games.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The snaking thing is pretty decisive. Some loved it because it added a "git gud" mechanic but on the other hand it was never meant to be that effective so more casual players hated it and for good reason. It was definitely still a great game but I still prefer 8 now even if it is simplified.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Double Dash is the king, MK8 Deluxe comes in at second place and MK DS takes third. Sorry, I don't make the rules, I just follow them.

Oct 29, 2017
I really wish they'd bring back MK64's unrestricted physics (both on ground and in the air, especially being shot upwards). You can't take any sort of natural shortcut anymore :(

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. That game was a blast. 8 players ad hoc!
But Mario Kart 7 and 8 were also great.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Amen. It was one of those Nintendo games that had that multilayered level of enjoyment for me maybe outside of what was intended?

Enjoyed it on the casual level with all the ccs in grand prix and mission modes, the completionist in me was satisfied when I decided to beat everything there was to beat with three stars.

If that was all there was I would've been satisfied but I found In online mode, and I realize it's contentious, snaking just raised the skill ceiling for me and I learned to play the game differently and continue winning online.

In retrospect made me realize I love the amount of skill it let you have and didn't enjoy the following MKs nearly as much because they lacked it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's of course great. But I think, for the most part, saying an older Mario Kart game is the best comes down to some nostalgia. The series has almost always become better over time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Gameplay of CTR is still unmatched. Core gameplay of MK is weak compared to CTR.
Not at all. MKDS has tighter controls, better course design, deeper mechanics, way more content. It looks and sounds better too, it's no contest really. CTR was king of it's era, comfortably ahead of MK64 and DKR imo, and the less said about Sonic R the better, but it's era's been long over. Most of the Mario Karts since DS are better really and so are both of Sumo's Sega racers.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not at all. MKDS has tighter controls, better course design, deeper mechanics, way more content. It looks and sounds better too, it's no contest really. CTR was king of it's era, comfortably ahead of MK64 and DKR imo, and the less said about Sonic R the better, but it's era's been long over. Most of the Mario Karts since DS are better really and so are both of Sumo's Sega racers.
The new MK's have more content, but that's it. CTR still has the best kart gameplay system by far and is timeless. I thought this was widely accepted. But I don't want to bash MK, the newer ones are a lot of fun but still haven't dethroned CTR imo.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart DS was actually awesome. I'm surprised there's so many who disliked snaking, the ability to do that is why it's so much more fun than the newer Mario Karts. I still like the newer ones but they are never as exciting as MKDS. Plus it had some really great new tracks compared to many 7 and 8's additions (though 8 has its share of awesome re-imaginings of retro courses)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Compared to what? It had fewer tracks than SMK and less content than DKR or CTR.
I'm talking about MP content as well, which was superior to SMK. The tracks were also way more expansive than SMK thanks to 3D. You had hills, big ramps, and so on. Tracks like Wario Stadium were rather impressive at the time. It also had staff ghosts.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The new MK's have more content, but that's it. CTR still has the best kart gameplay system by far and is timeless. I thought this was widely accepted. But I don't want to bash MK, the newer ones are a lot of fun but still haven't dethroned CTR imo.
The only title CTR's held on to is most overrated kart racer in history. It's been far surpassed in every respect, especially gameplay, several times over.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, you really had to make a pathetic, pity remark now did you? Get a grip, it's just a game and many people don't agree with you and think CTR is still the goat. Have fun with MK.
I was just agreeing with you! Looking forward to the next time you feel the need bring up an inferior Sony title in a thread about a Nintendo game.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The only title CTR's held on to is most overrated kart racer in history. It's been far surpassed in every respect, especially gameplay, several times over.

I dont even understand its overratedness. It was really good, but it couldn't hold a candle to even Mario Kart DS. Hell its debatable that its even as good as DKR. CTR is weird as hell in terms of its adoration.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I dont even understand its overratedness. It was really good, but it couldn't hold a candle to even Mario Kart DS. Hell its debatable that its even as good as DKR. CTR is weird as hell in terms of its adoration.
I think CTR's tighter than DKR, so is MK64 really. With DKR I think you do get a really good single player experience and MK64 is great fun in multi but CTR's real advantage is delivering on both counts. But yeah, MKDS bested it in every respect, as did 7, 8 and really even batshit Wii.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is going to agree what I'm about to say:

I find it hard to enjoy later Mario Kart entries due to the lack of snaking. It wasn't even just about online, it made playing Time Trials and other single player content so much more engaging due to the elements of optimizing cornering and speed it brought.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was if you wanted to remain competitive in multiplayer with other competitive players. When the curling breaks open, everyone transcends it in the name of competition, and I enjoy Kart and Smash tournaments.
I would argue that snaking is far worse than wavedashing ever was in this regard. You don't need to wavedash to keep up with most skilled players when playing Melee, but you have to snake to keep up with a snaker.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I still find myself genuinely surprised at how people are fine with a competitive environment where everyone does the exact same thing with no differences or deviations. I understand that dominant strategy is a thing, but when there's so little variation in what you have to do it win, it just makes the game boring personally.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
Glad to see some Super Circuit shout outs, still my favorite Mario Kart that doesn't get talked about often.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
I would put the game over most of the games in the series, including Mario Kart 7. I liked the way the Kart stats system evolved, and missions mode is still a unique feature that no other MK attempted to do. I didn't care for the snaking exploit, and I'm glad that was changed for the later game of the series.

For me, MK7 was more like prototype to MK8, but MK8D is the best of them all, and has the second best battle mode in my opinion. MK64 still topped it due to it not being timed and it's more hardcore feel.

Speaking of MK64, the way the karts were balanced were weird. I guess it was more realistic in a way, though.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
I believe the general consensus is that it was (way) ahead of MK64 in terms of racing. Mario Kart since then evolved, though.

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart DS had mission mode which honestly I can't believe hasn't been a standard in every Mario Kart since. But other than that......nah. Mario Kart 8 shits on it from a great height.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I love Mario Kart DS and it's probably my fav, I just didn't enjoy playing it online very much. I have it on my Wii U and still play it from time to time. There is something really charming about the visuals on a large TV. I'd probably put 8 and 7 right behind it. I know people were a bit mixed on 7 but I found it's multiplayer to be a lot of fun and an improvement over DS and Wii's.

I really hope they bring the mission mode back in the next entry.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Considering you can do it in MK64, DD and MKDS I think the developers must've been aware of its strategy. They only removed it in the Wii days because that's when they started casualizing all their games.

The problem with "Mario Kart" is that it's all based on luck. You'll win over me because you're 3 spots behind and have the triple-redshells while I only have one banana. There's nothing I can do about that but deliberately race behind first place, only to go ahead near the end and get struck by a blue shell, or I would have to race so well that I'm a lap past everyone and blue shells only slow me down enough so I'll still be just ahead by the end.

Mario Kart's default gameplay is not competitive or skill based. It's a dumb party game that loses its appeal after a week.

When it was me and 3 guys snaking to overtake and then get overtaken in MKDS, I felt like I had an experience that was about how good I was with a controller in a racing game and not how good I was at rolling a dice. It was also extremely fun to see the rest of the players being a lap behind.
That's all bullshit. More than 50% of my races end in a podium, and every now and then I end up with reaaaaally good players who are just extremely hard to compete with. That's not luck. If you cant drive under pressure, or manage your items and the risk and reward inherent to them, or manage to make the most out of your items to climb up the ranks in a heated race, its your problem and not the game's. That really sounds like somebody losing too much money at Poker and saying it's luck.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
It is. There is also something about its artstyle that I will forever love. Best DS game.

It is good, but I still prefer Super Circuit. Never cared for kart customization in MK and I prefer the previous track selection.
Bottom screen map, download play and battle mode are pretty awesome though.
I see you have good taste! Super Circuit is my second favorite by little margin. Spent hours and hours on it.
My list:
- Mario Kart DS
- Mario Kart Super Circuit
- Mario Kart 8
- Mario Kart Double Dash!!
- Mario Kart Wii
- Mario Kart 7
Never played 64 but everytime there is a track from it, I dislike it. Feels like a parking lot. Super Mario Kart instead is good but I haven't played much.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
MKDS has the GOAT Rainbow Road theme, so it wins just for that.

I actually played it a few weeks ago, not having played it for about...10 years? It holds up surprisingly well.