• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Worst track selection despite having more 16 more tracks hurts it for me. It definitely plays better, but I'm tired of doing the same tracks for the last 5 years.

With the install base of mk8 vs switches sold a new track pack seems like a no brainier. Then repackage later as a complete version. Adds new life to the game without having to build a whole new game. Seems like a win win.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I hate that phrase, but if Snaking bothered you you just needed to get good at the game. For me it's one of the reasons why I still play it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was never meant to be used the way it was. It sucks.

That doesn't matter, it added depth to the driving and made it way more enjoyable. Similar stuff can be said about Melee and how the game would be much worse if most of the advanced stuff wasn't there. Really developer intent matters very little when judging the quality of a game.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
With the install base of mk8 vs switches sold a new track pack seems like a no brainier. Then repackage later as a complete version. Adds new life to the game without having to build a whole new game. Seems like a win win.
I don't care how much it sold. I'm tired of those tracks and was never that crazy about them. That feeling hasn't gotten better in the last 5 years. New games or more DLC. Getting neither is not a win win for me.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That i can understand but the challenge was not bumping into walls while dong the maneuver and pulling it off better than the other players, it was pretty tense and unlike in most entries it felt like you earned to win a race. I just hated how MKWii removed snaking and added tons of chaotic elements and it just became a mess. 7 an 8 were at-least more balanced.

i can agree that many mario karts struggle with the balance between actual skill required and chaotic fun, but snaking definitely isn't the right solution to that

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
nah..it quickly turned into mario snaking ds

mario kart 64 is still da king for me
Snaking Kart is best Mario Kart though. Competitive play is all about enduring snaking for complete rounds and that's an excellent endgame when you've completed all grand prix and online play started getting stale. This took actual practice, wasn't actually cheating and if you were in a race with other snakers it really got the adrenaline pumping.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Snaking Kart is best Mario Kart though. Competitive play is all about enduring snaking for complete rounds and that's an excellent endgame when you've completed all grand prix and online play started getting stale. This took actual practice, wasn't actually cheating and if you were in a race with other snakers it really got the adrenaline pumping.
snaking kart is not mario kart, is another game

maybe less luck based,but definitely isn't mario kart

and yes,it was cheating....if you wanna use it with other "snakers" sure, compete as much as you want,but when you clearly know that the rest of the competitors are gonna just play mario kart and you just decide "fuck them" and start snaking, ruining the game for everyone else, you are not testing your skills, since it really doesn't take that much snaking to get unsurmountable advantages in mario kart ds,you are just abusing a gameplay mechanics for an easy win for the sake of an easy win.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
snaking kart is not mario kart, is another game
Considering you can do it in MK64, DD and MKDS I think the developers must've been aware of its strategy. They only removed it in the Wii days because that's when they started casualizing all their games.

The problem with "Mario Kart" is that it's all based on luck. You'll win over me because you're 3 spots behind and have the triple-redshells while I only have one banana. There's nothing I can do about that but deliberately race behind first place, only to go ahead near the end and get struck by a blue shell, or I would have to race so well that I'm a lap past everyone and blue shells only slow me down enough so I'll still be just ahead by the end.

Mario Kart's default gameplay is not competitive or skill based. It's a dumb party game that loses its appeal after a week.

When it was me and 3 guys snaking to overtake and then get overtaken in MKDS, I felt like I had an experience that was about how good I was with a controller in a racing game and not how good I was at rolling a dice. It was also extremely fun to see the rest of the players being a lap behind.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
MKDS is easy to pick up today because its controls and physics feel pretty close to later entries. If you've played MK Wii, 7 or 8, then DS won't feel too different.

I guess in that sense, it set the standard for the series going forward, huh?

(Edit: Snaking notwithstanding ofc)
Definitely. MKDS was one of the few, if not the only, DS iteration of mainstay Nintendo series' which is the defacto blueprint for the series. Physics, item lineup and character selection, all the succeeding games worked off of it.
Funnily, the Mission Mode is the only thing I think it has over MK8DX.
The mission mode is all the difference in the world when it comes to single player content, same thing with MK Wii. Wii was a bit too wide and slippery for my tastes, but I still go back for its mission mode.
Imagine calling this forgettable.

Thankfully I never played MK64, because that looks like a slippery uncontrollable mess.

Wait a god damn minute, why do I remember clearly playing mission mode in Wii when it was an unused mode apparently? Seriously, I remember playing missions in that game.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. MKDS was one of the few, if not the only, DS iteration of mainstay Nintendo series' which is the defacto blueprint for the series. Physics, item lineup and character selection, all the succeeding games worked off of it.

The mission mode is all the difference in the world when it comes to single player content, same thing with MK Wii. Wii was a bit too wide and slippery for my tastes, but I still go back for its mission mode.

Thankfully I never played MK64, because that looks like a slippery uncontrollable mess.

Wait a god damn minute, why do I remember clearly playing mission mode in Wii when it was an unused mode apparently? Seriously, I remember playing missions in that game.
"Thankfully I never played this game to form a proper a opinion on it because I saw gameplay of someone that drifts too much."

And no, Wii did not have a mission mode.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering you can do it in MK64, DD and MKDS I think the developers must've been aware of its strategy. They only removed it in the Wii days because that's when they started casualizing all their games.

only really came in contatc with it fully on mario kart ds (the concept at the base is present since mario kart 64,but i never saw it abused to the degree it happened on ds..but it was also the first mario kart online) so i'm not gonna comment on past games, but the simple fact that the cpu isn't aware at all of said "tecnique" and that you can pretty much destroy any competiton by using it, completely dismisses the strange idea that snaking was used as intended by the developers in mario kart ds.

when a tecnique becomes so prevalent that you are asked to do just that over and over again to win and just ignore all the other aspects of the gameplay, I consider it less "casualizing" and more like fixing your damn broken game.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the DS shaped Battle stage was amazing.

This was the best MK game at release. I agree with you on every point except snaking, which definitely killed a lot of desire to play online. Also remember when you could make your own emblem?
OCXobu8.jpg

RAD

My top three Mario Kart rankings:

Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe)
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how much it sold. I'm tired of those tracks and was never that crazy about them. That feeling hasn't gotten better in the last 5 years. New games or more DLC. Getting neither is not a win win for me.

Sounds like your biggest beef with MK8 is that you're tired of the tracks and that there is no MK9 yet.

It's my fave MK but it's definitely time for MK9.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like your biggest beef with MK8 is that you're tired of the tracks and that there is no MK9 yet.

It's my fave MK but it's definitely time for MK9.
My biggest beef with Mario Kart 8 is that I was never crazy about the track selection. Got more tracks, cool. But out of 48 available, the number of good ones isnt great. It went from, this is fine, to okay, I'm tired of picking the same courses everytime I play with people.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Nah double dash stays king. The character switching, unique powers, kart balancing based on character's weight. Still the goat.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
DS's unique graphics engine forcing games to run at a locked 60fps is still amazing today. I wish GPU developers do stuff like this in the future.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Put me in the "Snaking ruins the game" group, a strategy is instantly a bad one when it forces players to all use the exact same thing in order to win, in the case of Mario Kart DS, the Dry Bomber. Same with Funky Kart Wii and Metal Mario Kart 7.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart DS is the Smash Bros. Melee of Mario Kart games. Snaking = Wave Dashing, and I don't enjoy mastering an unintended mechanic, so I haven't played either since their successors released that fixed the exploits and never looked back.
Wavedashing is a situational mechanic though. You have to know when and where to use it. Snaking flat out makes you go faster. There's never a single situation in a race when you shouldn't be using it. It's also essentially impossible for a player who doesn't snake to beat a player that does.

I actually broke my DS Lite d-pad by playing too much MKDS online.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Agreed, played it an insane amount as a kid. Playing against my brothers in the car on long trips was so good, having to play as shy guy lol

Snaking made it really fun but it sucked without items because my brothers would decimate me on 1v1's lol

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Snaking isn't comparable to wavedashing, because wavedashing is just one of the many mechanics in Melee that makes a character good. Snaking is the only thing that matters in Mario Kart DS, if the kart is bad at snaking, then the kart is bad outright. Compare to Melee, where a character like Peach can have a bad wavedash and still be a good character, where Luigi has the best wavedash in the game and yet he's only a niche pick at best. That's why Snaking is bad, it's literally the only thing that dictates what's good and what's bad, hence why literally everyone used the Dry Bomber because it's the best for snaking.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Agreed but I don't think mario kart 64 is top 3, I used to be the one that said Mario Kart 64 was better than Diddy Kong racing but it's not.

Also Super Circuit is a fantastic game.

Top 3 for me in no order: Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Kart Double Dash. After that, I'll put super curcuit. Mario Kart ds with friends was basically no snaking, great times 8 DS and you didn't even have to own the game to play, DS download play

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

You litterally based that on a video without a single thought crossing your mind that the person playing it just sucks really bad (because that's exactly what's going on there)?

Compared to what? It had fewer tracks than SMK and less content than DKR or CTR.
You mean and the best battle mode in the series history that hasn't even close to been topped?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It was my first Mario Kart so I'm biased but I played so much of it. Single player was awesome and that download play feature was amazing.

It was also one of the first games I played online on a public hotstpot. There was no WiFi at the time ahah

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Because it did have them! It was just part of the Online portion and would update daily (or weekly?) with a new challenge
There you go! Those were rad, there really is no reason for the later online MKs to not have em.
You litterally based that on a video without a single thought crossing your mind that the person playing it just sucks really bad (because that's exactly what's going on there)?

You mean and the best battle mode in the series history that hasn't even close to been topped?
Fair enough. But I went to see other MK64 videos, and it just feels off to me. I dunno, Mario Kart is one of those game series where if you played enough of the other games, you can go watch videos of a previous entry being played and saying that is not for me. I'm getting those vibes from it

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
There you go! Those were rad, there really is no reason for the later online MKs to not have em.

Fair enough. But I went to see other MK64 videos, and it just feels off to me. I dunno, Mario Kart is one of those game series where if you played enough of the other games, you can go watch videos of a previous entry being played and saying that is not for me. I'm getting those vibes from it
I mean aside from some new mechanics the core gameplay hasn't changed much from 64. Main difference is most of the tracks have been made much easier aside from some from maybe MK8 (which you could argue the same from from super mario kart to MK64). The game had no problem giving you tracks with narrow curved crossings on a cliff with unkillable moving slipping objects etc in it's short cuts. It's far less geared so that everyone can complete track in a reasonable time without other items involved. It's something that's missing from the later iterations as tracks widen and became far less difficult to screw up.

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
By far my favourite MK experience. Also the game I refer to when people have that theory that your first MK is always your favourite, since I started with MK64.

I feel like in discussions about other Mario Kart games, everything is more about the track list, modes, etc as it should be, but when it's MKDS it's suddenly all about how snaking ruined the online and how it's not a skill, like it ruins this silly franchises competitive viability. I played online briefly and then enjoyed it and left it. I did some snaking and it wasn't really for me, and that never mattered in my group of local /online friends. If anything it made it fun to watch the speedrunner for it last year.

The actual package is fantastic. The new tracks contained a lot of the best in the series, finally taking more inspiration from other Mario titles to make stuff like the airship foretress track, delfino plaza, Luigi's Mansion, etc. Loved all the new karts, and loved finding out you can unlock ROB. Mission mode was even fun and quirky with boss battles, and it was all handheld. Perfect to play after school or whatever when a lot of my friends lived a bit too far away for me to visit them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Double Dash is actually the blue print of modern MK: the physics, the item and the various karts with different stats debuted there. Of course DS made the DD formula popular (on a way more popular console), removed the two characters gimmick and changing something here and there (like the Bullet Bill is a reskinned version of DD Chain Chomp).

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
I say this is still my favorite Mario Kart game, I played soooo many hours solo and got a 3 star ranking on every mission

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Double Dash's snaking because it is way easier on your hands.

Speaking of which, Nintendo uploaded vids of people snaking during Double Dash time trial competitions so there is no way they didnt know. I am legitimately baffled by its existence in DS tbh.

Wii has snaking too but you are better off using a bike so you dont see it much.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Moo Moo Farm is the GOAT.

I don't think I still have this in my DS collection. Will have to have a look and order it, if not. So many DS fakes around though :(

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, snaking was fun and you could even use it to avoid blue shells with proper timing. This is probably one if not the mario kart game that rewarded your skills the most.

Nov 8, 2017
Being able to avoid blue shells with snaking was HUGE. I personally still like Double Dash more as long as no one uses baby bowser. His shell breaks that game. Then it's DS and MK8/D tied for 1a.