• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I don't get how questioning the dialog of diablo cody is giving her a hard time. It's just not very funny that's the issue. I really liked young adult a lot, and juno is a flawed but often times brilliant movie.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the movie was ok when I saw it in theaters.

Is dragged unnecessarily? ...sure; But it does a horrible job thematically.

While dislike the film to some degree, what Megan Fox had to endure professionally and personally is beyond F'd up.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
i thought it was good high school satire when it came out and a fun watch, but certainly not a masterpiece that's just hipster revisionism.

also the sacrifice scene is fucking hilarious

I don't think the question is whether it's a "masterpiece" or not. I actually never heard anyone say that. What does it even mean anyway?

The current discussion around this movie is rather about the blatant sexism and misogyny surrounding MANY aspects of its marketing, release, and reception, and why right now a lot of women and many people from the LGBTQ community are rediscovering and falling in love with it.

Last edited:

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
I may be one of the few but i loved the movie, watching the video now

OP
OP
Fiction

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
i thought it was good high school satire when it came out and a fun watch, but certainly not a masterpiece that's just hipster revisionism.

also the sacrifice scene is fucking hilarious
The scene hits way different for me, as a woman. The sacrifice scene is one of the most unsettling things I've ever seen. Fox's acting and the fact the its deliberately paralleled with gang rape makes it that way.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The scene hits way different for me, as a woman. The sacrifice scene is one of the most unsettling things I've ever seen. Fox's acting and the fact the its deliberately paralleled with gang rape makes it that way.

This. And the drive right before the sacrifice when Jennifer asks "Are you guys rapists?"... This scene is excruciating. You can feel her panic and hopelessness.

Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Gosh do I love Rowan Ellis' video essays and discussions. This break down of Jennifer's Body and what happened around it and Megan Fox is really, really good and touches on a lot or really important issues with sexism and misogyny -- it's very worth watching for anyone just glancing at the title of 'why it failed' and going 'meh.'

I haven't seen the movie since high school, but I remember absolutely loving it. I also remember no one else liking it and feeling kinda embarrassed about liking it myself -- like it was just this weird dirty secret movie. It was meant to be 'for dudes' by its marketing, but its characters and themes really resonated with me as a teen girl, so it fell into this weird pit where everyone acted like it was just awful. From what I remember of it, it's campy af and in no way a 'masterpiece' but, as is explored in Ellis' video, it has a lot of very real themes underneath it all that I can absolutely see connecting well with a lot of women and LGBT+ folk. I'd love to give this movie a rewatch sometime through adult eyes, wonder how it'd hit with me now.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Had no idea Juno and Jennifer's Body were the same people. Guest I need to give it a watch some day.

Another movie I feel is underrated is Whip It. Hell, now that I think about it, and it's maybe because of time and rose tinted glasses, but I think it did what Ladybird was trying to do but better.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I have with it is they deprive you of the revenge scene at the end. I wanted to see Adam Brody's character suffer.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've never seen Juno or Jennifer's Body, to be honest. I'm watching the video now, and I'm really curious to see them both now.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I finished the video someone posted last page, and I'm now watching the video from the OP, and this is a great video essay. I'm going to have to watch more of her essays now.

And I'm definitely going to watch Jennifer's Body now. I wrote it off back when it released, precisely because the marketing just made it seem like a shallow horror flick with the usual sexual tropes you'd expect.

I just reached the part in the essay about the sacrifice scene, and it sounds so heartbreaking. I can 100% see how a lot of people would completely miss the subtext of that scene, and how a woman viewing that scene could pick up on it. It's so sad to me. :(

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the movie being tonally annoying but not entirely vapid. But it's been forever so.... 🤷‍♂️

I'd definitely rather rewatch Ginger Snaps but I might check the video out later

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Glad that more people are talking about Jennifer's Body. Don't know what made it cult classic recently, people just seemed to randomly talk about it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not good with gorey films(which is funny because I do like horror movies) and I wrote this movie off as trash during release because of the way the film was promoted. When I finally ended up watching it I was surprised at the fact the film was dealing with violence towards women and the subtext between Jennifer and Needys relationship. I remembered hearing about the kiss and rolling my eyes thinking it was typical the movie had a titillating scene but actually realizing the deeper part of that scene made the whole thing tragic. I think it would have been nice if they were more upfront about the relationship but the subtext is still fairly out there.

Honestly the whole movie kind of ends up being really sad for me despite it being dark humour. I totally understand how it's become a cult classic within LGBT+ communities and amongst women. I don't think I'll rewatch it especially since I get really grossed out by the blood but I appreciate what the movie was trying to do.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So the part I'm confused with the movie and themes is is she a succubus? Because that was always the impression that I got from it. Probably from the awful marketing that still holds true of sex sells.

Like overall I did not like the movie and should probably rewatch it but the most interesting concept is Jennifer becoming jealous of her friend because it was a constant reminder that looks aren't everything but due to becoming possessed by a demon It is impossible for her life to about anything more than looks.

And the only part that doesn't really sit right with me and I remember it being a big deal was when she called Michael Bay hitler. Yes he does seem like a awful person but maybe don't call a Jewish person hitler. In the video OP posted she just kind of glossed over it.

Oct 27, 2017
That was always my take on it too. I love Ginger Snaps.

Reminds me I should watch Ginger Snaps again soon.

I saw Jennifer's Body for the first time late last year, and it was... OK, I guess. Nothing particularly great or memorable, so I have no idea where the 'it's a great, overlooked cult classic' notion came from. In hindsight Ginger Snaps is probably the better movie.

Jun 24, 2019
I found the movie hilarious, in a fun trashy way. It's also nice seeing more people reflecting back, because the film had a lot more going on than how it was marketed.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Hard agree. It was the only part in the movie that was actually legitimately frightening for me. Really side eye anyone who thought it was comical, tbh. Idk how you can watch a scene like that and think it's funny. I guess my past experiences colour my reaction though.

Anyways, thanks for this thread! I'm going to have to watch these videos that have been linked. I loved this movie when came out, and this was the first Megan Fox movie I saw, so I always thought it was really sad how she was treated by popular media. She seems like a nice person irl too, so it just makes me wish she could have a comeback. Also fwiw, this movie basically helped me confirm to myself that I was definitely not straight lol.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I saw Juno several times at the cinema and love it but have never seen this.

I don't really like horror films enough to give it a go.

I guess maybe that's why it bombed. People like me didn't see it.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I watched Jennifer's Body like a year back because of all the articles claiming it's actually a secret masterpiece.

I really didn't get it. I feel like people are rating the film's themes and intention, not the actual final product. IMO, it's a tonally inconsistent horror-comedy that is neither scary nor funny.

Young Adult on the other hand definitely is a film that did not get the response it deserved from the critics, the audience or the Academy. It's probably Cody's best script so far and Theron is really really good in it. It's a crime the Academy didn't even nominate her in a year when Streep won The Iron Lady.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I watched Jennifer's Body like a year back because of all the articles claiming it's actually a secret masterpiece.

I really didn't get it. I feel like people are rating the film's themes and intention, not the actual final product. IMO, it's a tonally inconsistent horror-comedy that is neither scary nor funny.

Young Adult on the other hand definitely is a film that did not get the response it deserved from the critics, the audience or the Academy. It's probably Cody's best script so far and Theron is really really good in it. It's a crime the Academy didn't even nominate her in a year when Streep won The Iron Lady.

Exactly. I think that's what's being missed here. I can understand why what this movie explores is extremely important and I'm glad it exists, but even if a movies intentions and themes are great, it doesn't always land without execution. The movie just wasn't a good horror comedy.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it for the first time recently and though it was fantastic.

Not at all what I was expecting.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone i seen that did a retrospective mentions how shitty the marketing it is

the studio just saw Megan Fox and her kissing someone and marketed as a schlocky horror about Megan Fox being hot

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
ok just finished watching it.
loved it.

I don't know what it is, but i loved Adam Brody's character.

tumblr_pjjzjgptQC1tomvywo5_r2_540.gifv

May 10, 2018
I remember seeing this shortly after it came out and thought it was just ok. I was also a teenaget at the time too.

I don't remember much of it besides the song from Panic! At The Disco.

Oct 27, 2017
Too Mean Girls to be horror, too horror to be Heathers. This movie awkwardly defies genre classification, but it still remains enjoyable and very quotable. If feel bad for people who can't enjoy this one, but it's nice that the film acts as one of those "cool person indicators" for me.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Horror marketing is the worst. It isn't like Jennifer's Body wasn't bogged down by other issues, but the overall response reminds me a lot of It Comes At Night, in the sense of everyone complaining about the trailers being misleading meanwhile the actual movie was very good.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay, though I feel like there's a bit of tonal whiplash in a lot of the moments. It has that very Diablo Cody-esque matter of fact dialogue while horrific shit is happening. It's a dark comedy played straight, but not in a way that meshes well.

Like Mother!, the marketing didn't do it any favors either. And this film came out in the Era of hating Megan Fox for Transformers. They definitely did her dirty

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Horror marketing is the worst. It isn't like Jennifer's Body wasn't bogged down by other issues, but the overall response reminds me a lot of It Comes At Night, in the sense of everyone complaining about the trailers being misleading meanwhile the actual movie was very good.

I think one of the most infuriating thing to me is that it's clearly a horror movie with a female perspective on the high school experience of teenage girls, girls' coming-of-age, girls' friendship, etc. that was meant to appeal to women. Yet the marketing was mostly "Megan Fox is HOT bro!! Want to see her NAKED?!?"

And then after release it was perceived as a wrong and inferior movie. As it unfortunately often happens with entertainment geared towards women.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Horror marketing sells though.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I dont like the way she writes dialogue, it's a bit too much and ends up being overbearing in the same way I find Max Landis's stuff
This. I HATE her dialog almost as I hate Rob Zombie's dialog. Both of them double-down on their stylized dialog and I find both obnoxious and hard to listen to. I liked the concept of Jennifer's Body, but Cody's dialog is why I could only stomach one viewing.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
It was a fun movie that definitely had shite marketing, no doubt.

Hollywood for sure was completely garbage to Megan Fox.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The Faculty of Horror Podcast had an excellent episode on Jennifer's body.

Just finished the episode. Thanks so much for sharing and making me discover this podcast! I immediately subscribed to it, I'm always searching for good podcasts discussing horror movies.

This episode was an amazing conversation, and it definitely consolidated the idea in my mind that Jennifer's Body really is a great feminist movie.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Neat! I can't remember much of this movie but I think I felt it was ok what I saw it. I love video essays like this, thanks for posting it.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I really enjoyed it at the time of release, and I haven't revisited it since, but I generally ignore marketing for horror movies when deciding whether or not to watch one because it's usually *really bad*. I'd enjoyed Juno so I was interested in seeing that writer tackle horror.

I do remember thinking that the trailers had been completely misleading.

Plus, horror comedy rarely seems to hit at the time of release, but when it's good, it almost always finds its audience in due course, so I'm happy and unsurprised to see that this has gone through a real appraisal.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I have a few direct questions to the men reading this thread:

What do you make of the fact that a lot of women are currently rediscovering and falling in love with this movie? Why do you think it's happening? Some of you already mentioned being really annoyed by it. Is it the general consensus?

Oct 27, 2017

What do you make of the fact that a lot of women are currently rediscovering and falling in love with this movie? Why do you think it's happening? Some of you already mentioned being really annoyed by it. Is it the general consensus?

1: Not much. I recently watched it myself too for the first time due to Internet hype.

2: See #1, probably Internet hype.

3: Why would anyone be annoyed? Most of all I just find it puzzling because it's not a particularly memorable or good movie. It's not bad by any means, just... kinda middling and forgettable. It's a horror comedy that's neither particularly funny nor scary at all. Ginger Snaps is a better horror movie that deals with feminine themes, I'd say.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Just to give my backstory I watched the movie when it came out and thought it was alright. Didn't blow me away or anything, but I enjoyed it. Probably one of my earliest memories of critics "getting it wrong."

1. I'm always of fan of people finding media that resonates with them. Tons of movies I love people think are just alright.

2. I've known plenty of women who loved horror movies. I think this is happening because it's the rare horror movie aimed at them. I think it didn't happen at the time due to it's marketing.

3. If you're annoyed by this happening, I don't know what to tell you. It's okay to not like things, but if you get super annoyed about people liking things you don't you should probably get out more.