• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Games like System Shock, Bioshock, Prey, Dishonored, Thief, etc.

Is it because it's first person single player? I know there are some indie immersive sims that are coming out next year but they look super minimalist (which i understand) but i always feel immersive sims have to be packed of visual details to tell what happened or happening since it's heavy narrative and you want to use as much show-don't-tell in your background.

Why isn't more studio try their hands in this, it seems it's always the same studio doing all the best immersions (AKA past and next ken levine game also)

I haven't played dishonored but i just started Prey and im in live and have no idea it would be this good (also the asthetic of this game is amazing)

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Because immersive sims ask a lot from the player. You have to be an active participant to make them fun to play, there're little to no setpieces and other flashy things in such games. They're also tend to depower the player character to the point there stealth is a more viable option than combat, and that's a guaranteed loss of sales.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Because they keep under-performing. Just look at Dishonored 2, Prey and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I am just glad that we are getting Cyberpunk 2077 cause that game is our only hope for immersive sims right now. Save us CDPR.

Last edited:

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Is Void Bastards a "Immersive sim"

I bet less than 4% of True Gamers are aware this term exists, btw.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Not only are they fairly niche, but by their nature they are complex beasts and require large-ish teams.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
They're hard to make and don't sell very well. The only real big success in the last ten years or so was Deus Ex 3, and that was mostly riding the wave of "we brought back this big name property and it's actually good!".

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Prey's one of my surprise faves as well. The immersive sim has long been my favorite genre, but I get that they're not for everybody and they probably are more difficult to make than a typical FPS because you have to consider what players can do with all of the systems you give them. Preventing them from breaking the game while still giving them the ability to craft their own solution is a fine line.

So, you've got all this extra up-front investment and design complexity, and time and again we see these games not being rewarded with significant sales. It sucks but it's business.

I don't know if I'd call CDPR's Cyberpunk an immersive sim (not that I can really know for sure, since I obviously haven't played it) but it's the closest thing I can name that's due for release soon.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're hard to make, harder to make well, and too heady to be mass market successes. Maybe Cyberpunk will change that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be very complicated to make. And some of the last few high profile ones bombed with the bigness (Prey and Dishonored 2).

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the same reason why you dont see as many choice and consequence rpgs.. they are hard to make.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a good recent video on the history of Immersive Sims here. It's long but worth a watch if you're interested in the history of the genre:

What I picked up from this is outside of a few examples, most Immersive Sims are not only hard and expensive to make, they're also often not worth it as many are commercial failures. That said, some do go on to become huge successes, but it's very rare. Add to this that many fans of individual games of this type may not even realize it's part of the larger genre of Immersive Sims (the genre has done a bad job at communicating it's even a genre, what it's central appeal is, and how these games are connected in game design outside of the most hardcore enthusiasts of the genre. Most gamers don't even know what an Immersive Sim really is and many haven't even heard the term before).

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
So what makes for an 'immersive sim' exactly?
Is that a game where the player gets dropped into a world with a certain set of rules and where the gameplay loop naturally originates from that?

Because that's my favourite genre then.

Are these considers 'imsims'?:

Death Stranding
Breath of the Wild
No Man's Sky

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Because immersive sims ask a lot from the player. You have to be an active participant to make them fun to play, there're little to no setpieces and other flashy things in such games. They're also tend to depower the player character to the point there stealth is a more viable option than combat, and that's a guaranteed loss of sales.

It's this. The market has no little interest in them so the genre has dried up. It's one of the worst industry trends.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a game where the player gets dropped into a world with a certain set of rules and where the gameplay loop naturally originates from that?

Death Stranding
Breath of the Wild
No Man's Sky

Not really.

I.S. are more focused experiences. Think Deus ex, Dishonored, prey and even BioShock to a lighter degree. You are given skills and abilities and have crafted levels specifically designed to offer multiple ways to accomplish objectives given which abilities you have chosen/upgraded.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Because idiots don't buy them

And they are expensive to make so indies can't pick up the slack.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Death Stranding
Breath of the Wild
No Man's Sky
BotW probably wasn't looking at immersive sims for its design, but it's open way of tackling obstacles through stuff like climbing and the physics engine certainly give it A feel similar to immersive sims.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
They just sell poorly and are hard to advertise in short commercials/trailers.

It's telling that the most financially successful games attached to the term immersive sim are the Bioshock titles...and that was Irrational getting focus testing to encourage them to simplify and streamline out elements of that genre to be a more straightforward shooter. Even the metacritic average for Bioshock 1 is higher than any of the other renowned immersive sims, showing critics prefer that approach.

Just kind of one of those life isn't fair things, especially as they're my favorite kind of game...but I'll support any indie attempts, along with a publisher ballsy enough to risk millions on another AAA attempt (another Vampire Masquerade the closest to that try).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The sad irony is that when you look at people's lists of things they want to see improved with next-gen games (physics-driven interactivity, more open-ended mission design allowing players to complete objectives as they see fit etc), many people basically seem to be describing immersive sims; despite being completely unaware of them.
And this is on an enthusiast forum.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I want more immersive sims, but they're just too niche as a genre overall. And with Eidos fucking up Deus Ex: Mankind's monetization/pre-order stuff and Bethesda acting as another major publisher for those games, we're pretty much out of luck for major productions I fear.
Advertising immersive sims was hard enough, but it seemed to me that those pubs didn't really handle their respective releases well, making it even harder for the genre to gain steam or success in any way.

With how the landscape is right now in terms of economics, I don't really see many devs trying again.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I want more immersive sims, but they're just too niche as a genre overall. And with Eidos fucking up Deus Ex: Mankind's monetization/pre-order stuff and Bethesda acting as another major publisher for those games, we're pretty much out of luck for major productions I fear.
Advertising immersive sims was hard enough, but it seemed to me that those pubs didn't really handle their respective releases well, making it even harder for the genre to gain steam or success in any way.

With how the landscape is right now in terms of economics, I don't really see many devs trying again.
We do at least have something of a bigger hurah for the genre happening in early 2020 with Cyberpunk 2077 and Vampire: Bloodlines 2 coming out next year. It'll be interesting to see how these two games perform.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
The sad irony is that when you look at people's lists of things they want to see improved with next-gen games (physics-driven interactivity, more open-ended mission design allowing players to complete objectives as they see fit etc), many people basically seem to be describing immersive sims; despite being completely unaware of them.
And this is on an enthusiast forum.
I think most people would love them, just not at the expense of the game becoming a jack of all trades, master of none. The genre not being as popular as peoples wishes for improvements seem to indicate is probably due to the lack of overall quality in the (AAA) games that do try and attempt it. Understandably so, since it's probably one of the most difficult genres to get right.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Cyberpunk, Bloodlines 2, and System Shock(s) are coming.
Dying Light 2 feels like it'll fill the same niche as well, with its bigger focus on gameplay choices.

It's a high-risk genre that few of the big publishers are willing to delve into. You won't see EA or Ubi greenlight one; a new BioShock, and hopefully Arkane's next game, DeathLoop, are also aiming for that type of experience.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The genre not being as popular as peoples wishes for improvements seem to indicate is probably due to the lack of overall quality in the (AAA) games that do try and attempt it.
I mean, outside of MD (which was a big improvement over HR in terms of level design, but suffered from other shortcomings/SE management) the only other AAA immersive sims on the market are Dishonored 2 and Prey, both were GOTY contenders in a year of release.

I struggle to think of any real mediocrity outside of Thief 4 tho, and that one is barely an immersive sim.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I mean, outside of MD (which was a big improvement over HR in terms of level design, but suffered from other shortcomings/SE management) the only other AAA immersive sims on the market are Dishonored 2 and Prey, both were GOTY contenders in a year of release.

I struggle to think of any real mediocrity outside of Thief 4 tho, and that one is barely an immersive sim.
A recent one that comes to mind is The Outer Worlds.

What I mean though, is that most studios just try to add an extra element to their games at first, like adding the option to stealth through sections in a fps. They already struggle to balance those or make them interesting without compromising quality, so they just stick to the core gameplay loop, or switch genres completely.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
As a massive immersive sim fan, the fan base just isn't there.

A recent one that comes to mind is The Outer Worlds.

What I mean though, is that most studios just try to add an extra element to their games at first, like adding the option to stealth through sections in a fps. They already struggle to balance those or make them interesting without compromising quality, so they just stick to the core gameplay loop, or switch genres completely.
I wouldn't call Outer Worlds and immersive sim.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How many of them even sell enough to justify the effort and money it takes to make one? I love them but I rarely ever remember any actually doing well sales wise outside of maybe Human Revolution.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Dying Light 2 is also gonna have immersive sim elements, but I can't wait for Bloodlines 2. On the indie upcoming immersive sims, I'm still waiting for Tangiers and Gloomwood (both devs heavily inspired and constantly wax lyrical about immersive sims).
Is Void Bastards a "Immersive sim"

I bet less than 4% of True Gamers are aware this term exists, btw.
Void Bastards definitely has elements of immersive sims like the multiple playstyles with the various items and weapons, systemic AI, mixed with roguelike elements. The RPG aspect is not as deep, but for an indie game inspired by them, it's really good.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread I am unable to distinguish first person RPG from immersive sim.

They often overlap, with games like Fallout displaying some elements. Immersive sims are basically FPS sandboxes that give you multiple tools and approaches to solving problems, while allowing you to interface with a variety of systems. So while FO can meet those requirements, something like Borderlands automatically fails.

Ones i can think off the top of my head

Thief
System Shock
Deus Ex
Prey
Alien Isolation

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
This.

It seems there is not a clear definition of what is and isn't an immersive sim in the first place.

I hadn't heard the term until I watched the errant signal-series on the subject, so that's an issue. But for fans of the genre, it's usually pretty clear.

Deus Ex
System Shock
Bioshock (one could potentially argue about Infinite)
Prey
Dishonored
Thief

Those are pretty much it in terms of AAA.

The fact that people can't distinguish between this and Fallout doesn't mean the genre isn't clear.

Hub world/Metroidvania style map and non-linear level design, but a focused semi linear narrative, as opposed to your standard rot.
usually with a lot of verticality and higher density in the environments compared to rpgs.
Multiple points of entry for objectives, dependent on which skills you have and what level they're at.
Accommodates different play-styles (stealth, action, strategy/traps, hacking/spellcasting)
Audio log and or written lore that help point out objectives and alternative routes
Vents, lots of vents.