• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
You know, since I am here, I will ask this. Can you use the Quest, either this new one or the old one, and download just like apps of VR places? Like could you get on an exercise bike and put this on and make it feel like you're biking through a forest or through the streets of Korea or something like that? Kind of a random thought, but just happened to think of that.

There are some "walking simulators", but nothing really like that I think. You could connect (wirelessly) to a PC and run Google Earth which will place you in any location on earth, but it won't track physical movement or "cycling". Google Earth is goddamn awesome though. I visited the area to scout around for my sister's new apartment, to see how the area looked. Obviously it's very chunky when flying around with low-poly buildings and trees, and on the ground you're literally standing in a Streetview surrounding. But the feeling of presence is ridiculous.

For me, I didn't get the Quest until this summer so I'm not going to upgrade. They should have called this Oculus Quest Slim or something, because that's what it is. A revision that is cheaper to produce.

I'm still excited for VR in general but I look forward to Sony or Valve putting out a standalone headset. It IS revolutionary to be untethered, but it's also sometimes super janky.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I'm considering selling my HTC Vive and buying a Quest 2
The Vive is great, but anytime I want to play it takes about 20 mins to set it up, on top of needing to have thought ahead and charged the controllers.
Anytime I think about playing it after work, I end up just playing normal games because I can just sit down and go.
The idea of being able to just put the thing on and play makes me think I would use it a lot more.
Also listening to Jeff on the Bombcast say that he's been using remote desktop to play his PC games using the Quest 2 with no issue is a huge plus as well.

I had a Vive when it was released in 2016. It was amazing experience, but I sold it because I felt it wasn't there quite yet. Lighthouse system was clunky to setup, resolution / SDE was bad, software wasn't that good and it was uncomfortable.

I promised that I'll buy another VR headset when something "good enough" comes around.

Quest 2 was the "good enough" moment for me.
Affordable, wireless, nice resolution, works both standalone and with PCVR.

Does Era hate Google, Microsoft and Apple with the same passion for for leeching data off their users?

Yeah I mean a lot of people happily use their Google account with their Android phones, it's essentially the same thing and you can be sure that Google tracks everything they can. They're an ad company just like Facebook.

"Do you want a Google surveillance camera + GPS + microphone in your pocket everywhere you go?"

You can come up with all these same horror scenarios as with Oculus + Facebook.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to support walled garden VR devices, especially from a company that is going to use all my data for its own agenda.

Furthermore, I would loathe ads of any kind in VR and I'm pretty sure that is one thing that Facebook is going to go for.

I have to put up with google because android is the only real alternative to Apple and their unreasonably priced phones. But I'm not happy about it.

Sep 22, 2019
the quest1 was really cool for watching tv and movies but there was a slight screendoor effect. the quest2 is 1.5x the resolution but because its LCD full RGB stripe instead of OLED pentile its actually 2x the subpixels making the screendoor effect much lesser. this could be the ultimate media device low key

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean a lot of people happily use their Google account with their Android phones, it's essentially the same thing and you can be sure that Google tracks everything they can. They're an ad company just like Facebook.

"Do you want a Google surveillance camera + GPS + microphone in your pocket everywhere you go?"

You can come up with all these same horror scenarios as with Oculus + Facebook.

Google, by now, probably has way more data on me than Facebook has and might ever have.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Firstly, Facebook. There's zero reason the device couldn't run without Facebook, the Quest 1 managed it fine.

Secondly, some of the cost cutting measures to get to the $299 price seem to have gone too far (e.g. only having set IPD measurements).

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care if Facebook is integrated or not. The reason for me, is it isn't a big enough upgrade for me to move on from the O+.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just the data. Around the world Facebook has been used as a platform to incite a lot of violence against people because of misinformation. Some governments have used it to control the flow of information to their citizens, etc.

That is fair. But that's down to abuse by governments and organizations, not Facebook as a corporation. But they should definitely be better at banning and weeding out profiles, pages and groups posting conspiracy nonsense, deliberate misinformation, extremist material etc.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
That is fair. But that's down to abuse by governments and organizations, not Facebook as a corporation. But they should definitely be better at banning and weeding out profiles, pages and groups posting conspiracy nonsense, deliberate misinformation, extremist material etc.

For what it's worth I don't use Facebook, but I'm also not vehemently anti-Facebook. People were shitty a long time before Facebook. I agree Facebook could do better at controlling the information on their platform. I was just explaining why I think so many people here dislike Facebook so much.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a PSVR and enjoy it quite a bit (some of the best experiences of this generation are in VR imo)

but I don't want to buy into another VR ecosystem just to get better VR (especially the facebook ecosystem)

Im insanely hyped for the eventual PSVR2 tho.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Aside from facebook,

I already have a PSVR, and my potential future PS5 purchase is completely dependent upon how PSVR 2 shapes up to be. I can only assume it will blow Quest 2 out of the water.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My personal deal-breakers were the Facebook integration and the lack of any improvements in controller tracking. (In fact, if that Ars Technica review is accurate, the tracking quality has regressed.) I'm not getting into entirely wireless headsets until they can provide tracking quality comparable to Valve's hardware.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
My personal deal-breakers were the Facebook integration and the lack of any improvements in controller tracking. (In fact, if that Ars Technica review is accurate, the tracking quality has regressed.) I'm not getting into entirely wireless headsets until they can provide tracking quality comparable to Valve's hardware.

They apparently got a lemon because no one else has reported the same, and the device is in many YouTuber's hands already.

Tracking should be at least as good as Quest 1.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
"Why aren't you guys excited about <product>? Please don't talk about the actual reasons."
Sorry for wanting a thread dedicated to Oculus 2 where not every other reply is "fuck Facebook" when wanting to talk about Oculus games and/or the hardware. I am sure you think people saying "fuck facebook" every other post is very constructive to conversations about the device and the games.

Imagine if the PS5 OT thread hade every other post is "fuck Sony" or "fuck the PS5" I am sure most agree that it would not be a very good OT. That is all that I am wanting, is a OT where people can talk about the device and the games without every other post not being a "fuck facebook" which add's nothing to the conversation. Again, I am talking about a OT for the Oculus 2...not this thread since the OP was asking a specific question.

Last edited:

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
Always a promising sign when the prerelease hype revolves around winners like is "well I've never heard anything bad about Facebook" and "this forum sucks".

Does Era hate Google, Microsoft and Apple with the same passion for for leeching data off their users?
That's a really weird question from somebody who was all "oh, ohhh, Facebook is a right-wing dystopian hellspawn, how could I have been so ignorant?" a few hours ago.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really weird question from somebody who was all "oh, ohhh, Facebook is a right-wing dystopian hellspawn, how could I have been so ignorant?" a few hours ago.

What, asking if Era hates those companies for leeching data like people hate Facebook for doing?

Obviously Google, Apple and MS aren't running social media platforms (go away Google+, nobody likes you) so they don't provide a platform for right-wing posters like Facebook does. But that wasn't what I was asking anyway.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck facebook.

But also its a 300 dollar high end vr headset you can hook up to your pc with a 20 dollar cable. I got one I am picking up on tuesday. This will be my first high end vr headset. I have a psvr but its not compatible with pc.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I am pretty hyped. I went from a Samsung Gear, to a CV1, and I believe the wireless freedom this offers between virtual desktop or from its internal GPU that appear comparable to an XBOX360 on almost 2k per eye will be VRs real moment. Facebook integration sucks for sure, but the package at this price is unbelievable.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I WANT to buy this, but every time I consider it, I cringe in disgust at the required FB account. At the possibility of your account becoming banned if it was a burn account (which was my original plan). I'm making a stand for myself by not purchasing, but I will be following the user reviews out of pure curiosity. I really do hope at some point they drop the FB requirement.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Also worth noting that on this board in particular many folks have their extra income set aside for the launch consoles and associated accessories, so a Quest revamp really isn't high on their list of monetary priorities. I know you addressed that in the first line of your OP, but folks around here love their console launches and I don't blame them. It can be a fun experience.

As someone who is sitting out next gen for a bit but would like a new toy this fall, the hardware just isn't quite there yet for me personally. If I could play the new Medal of Honor on the headset without having to tether to a gaming PC I don't have, I would certainly consider it. I've played most of the heavy hitters via PSVR so the library as it stands isn't super appealing.

The Facebook stuff is whatever. I think they're a scummy company but no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that. Not dismissing the concerns and totally get if they cross a line for you personally though.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry for wanting a thread dedicated to Oculus 2 where not every other reply is "fuck Facebook" when wanting to talk about Oculus games and/or the hardware. I am sure you think people saying "fuck facebook" every other post is very constructive to conversations about the device and the games.

Imagine if the PS5 OT thread hade every other post is "fuck Sony" or "fuck the PS5" I am sure most agree that it would not be a very good OT. That is all that I am wanting, is a OT where people can talk about the device and the games without every other post not being a "fuck facebook" which add's nothing to the conversation. Again, I am talking about a OT for the Oculus 2...not this thread since the OP was asking a specific question.

Yeah, if you're going to reduce the very serious concerns about what Facebook is doing with the Oculus ecosystem to "lol people just want to say fuck facebook", of course they aren't going to sound constructive. But that's a bit of a weird fallacy, and dismissing serious problems people have with the whole thing.

It's fine if they don't affect you, or you don't feel they do, but at least please don't be this reductive.

It is and they probably lose money on it so you could buy it and never use their store and maybe you're hurting them :p

...this logic is absolute bullshit. Hurt a company by buying their product. Amazing.

Are you aware Facebook doesn't do the merged accounts just out of fun, but that they're actually going to mine information out of what you do, watch, play or who you talk to through the Quest 2? And that they are also going to profit from that? Like, it's fine if you don't feel like it affects you, but this whole "lol buy it and never use their store and you'll hurt them" is... a fairly childish view on the whole thing.

If they can sell it as a loss (Which I doubt they will outside of the US, by the way), it's because just getting it into people's hands is already something they can profit off.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Facebook + iterative product.

I'm sure it will be a fine headset. But I'm not sure it's doing anything too revolutionary to warrant a big hype cycle.
It's a better Quest. And I'm sure it will sell out because of that fact alone.

OP
OP
AppleBlade

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
VR is bad. Most of us just aren't interested.
What VR games have you played because I just don't get that. I'm a teacher at a Technology high school and we have an original HTC Vive and I love VR. I find every available minute to get on there. Even a generic zombie game like Arizona Sunshine which would be a 5/10 if it was out on console is like an 8 out of 10 in VR because of the immersion. Playing Beat Saber and Super Hot in VR feels so fresh and innovative compared to most console experiences for me.

Last edited:

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I have one pre-ordered. Was debating it for a while but a Target deal made me jump in at the lowest price. That along with already having an Oculus account from when I borrowed an og Rift about a year ago, made me decide to jump in.

I'm pretty excited but all the Facebook stuff is definitely a damper.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
There really isn't much of a software line up- so it's just an upgraded quest. I'm getting one, but can't say I'm really that thrilled yet; I just don't think these iphone style iterative updates work in gaming - you need a new software lineup to go along it at launch. What they do have for software isn't really anything I haven't played before or piques interest.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forced Facebook.
Have a Quest 1.
Quest 2 not a generational leap; crisper but geometry, lighting, textures much the same.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I know it'll be off topic but I honestly thought this was about a sequel to "The Quest" by redshift. I bout a PDA before the PSP existed just to play this game.

the-quest_117581_full.jpg

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm beyond excited. I sold my Rift S and Quest and bought this and pre-ordered the reverb 2 as my main VR headsets.

Facebook i understand why some people don't want it but i have no issue giving every other gaming platform my information i certainly don't care about FB knowing what games i like playing.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
OP buried the lede by shitting on bugsnax

Honestly the deeper Facebook integration really soured me on getting one... I know I know a lot of companies take my info but I have never had a Facebook account and kind of don't want to start now.

I have PlayStation VR and I'm happy with that for now.

This

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got to admit. I wasn't planning to upgrade from Quest to Quest 2, but the recent string of developers coming out with announcement of enhancement patches are actually getting me excited.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I'd be so down for this if I hadn't bought a Quest 1 earlier this year. For now I'm content with how Quest 1 is performing with wireless PC VR through virtual desktop.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the devices we've had over the last 5 years have already set the stage for consumer expectations from VR devices. In that sense, you're never going to see more or less excitement unless we see a huge innovation within this space. The market for VR has somewhat stagnated, and will only be spurred to grow drastically with significant subversion of those expectations. Drastically smaller form factors would be an example.

That's not to say that I believe that the VR market has ceased to grow, but growth within a proportionally small market (compared to say, consoles or handhelds) is in itself, quite small.

As it stands, the lay consumer will dismiss the new Oculus, for the same reason they decided not to purchase the first iteration, or an Oculus Go for their phone. The devices are too expensive, they don't like the bulky headsets and for now at least, the lack of wires comes at the cost of visual fidelity and performance.

I don't think the average consumer gives a damn about the Facebook integration. They've already demonstrated they're willing to, time and time again, sacrifice their data and privacy for the sake of convenience and entertainment. Signing into Facebook is little different to signing into XBOX Live, it's just another service with a 100 page user agreement that no reads.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Quest 1 a year ago and love it, it serves my needs just fine, don't feel any need to upgrade to this one. Can always do PCVR for more demanding titles that aren't Quest native. I've played both Alyx and Squadrons through Virtual Desktop with no issue, it's been great. Quest 3? Yeah maybe.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Quest is great technology, like the wireless, independent, inside-out-tracking setup is a fantastic handling of VR. Being flexible and being able to hook up to a PC for more power is also great.

However, Facebook's involvement and policies mean that I will never own one.

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
Damn. I thought you were talking about Quest 64 part 2. I'd be super hyped for that.

I'm just not sure about VR. I haven't seen anything that is a killer app that makes me want to drop hundreds of dollars on a headset.