• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 Oculus Kickstarter backer reporting in to repeat the most obvious answer: Facebook. I'm done with Oculus because of the mandatory account merging.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Facebook.

And lol forgot what thread it was, someone said Era has a hateboner for Facebook.

Fucking Christ. Fuck Facebook

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
some people don't want to finance a company that is responsible for a democracy-breaking amount of disinformation around the world

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the first Quest was the first wireless headset. For those that got it, some may feel the first one is good enough as well as had less FB integration.

I had one on reserved but cancelled it after just deciding the first Quest was good enough for what I used it for and would rather just wait on more development in the VR space. I don't use it much outside of the occasional Beat Saber time

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
99% of people won't care about the Facebook requirement, but the 1% that does care naturally lives on enthusiast forums so that will put a damper on it.

Yup. And plenty of folks with no interest in VR in the first place will use it as an opportunity to dunk on Facebook.

And no, I don't blame them. It's just clear that the Era bubble is in full effect and the picture you'll get of the Quest 2 here is heavily skewed.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Facebook

I've really wanted a Quest for a while, but it requiring a Facebook account makes it 100% useless to me

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
99% of people won't care about the Facebook requirement, but the 1% that does care naturally lives on enthusiast forums so that will put a damper on it.

That's definitely part of it. Facebook is generally seen positively by the vast majority of people, who are the ones Facebook is targeting with their VR and AR products.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even if you ignore the deeper Facebook integration (which I wouldn't suggest doing), it simply isn't a huge leap over the original Quest imo

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I will never pay for a hardware product where an online account is required "allowing" you to use it.

But just the fact that it's from facebook was already a no go, regardless of the account requirement.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. And plenty of folks with no interest in VR in the first place will use it as an opportunity to dunk on Facebook.

And no, I don't blame them. It's just clear that the Era bubble is in full effect and the picture you'll get of the Quest 2 here is heavily skewed.
yeah it's definitely true that the hype for Quest 2 (and VR in general tbh) is much lower on Era than in other communities i've seen.

i despise Facebook and I think there's all sorts of ethical issues plaguing their practices. I also think that the major console manufacturers, especially Sony, are contributing to human trafficking and slavery by using conflict minerals and that's majorly contributing to nightmarish working conditions.

but weirdly, every thread about PlayStation does not get filled to the brim with nothing other than "fuck Sony" and a discussion of their abject failure to properly purge conflict minerals from their supply chain (something that, ironically, FB has been more successful in doing). not saying people shouldn't criticize Facebook or that the discussion around them shouldn't be a part of these threads, but when it so dominates the discussion that it pushes all other discussion out of the way it's hard to feel that we're building a useful thread on the topic

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
You'll get a skewed hate here of the Quest 2 because of Facebook which is understandable.

But, like it or not, no other company has invested more money and man-power than Facebook into the medium of VR. They're literally the only ones funding any more of the exclusive VR games coming out.

As for PSVR2, I'm losing hope Sony will make one. The prospect of buying a PS5 + PSVR2 headset puts it out of the range of anybody except the most hardcore gamers + VR enthusiasts.

Era isn't who Facebook is after. 99% of folks out there are fine with Facebook and that's who the Oculus Quest 2 is being marketed towards.

Whether Era likes the Quest 2 or not isn't gonna define the medium on whether it's successful or not.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

As if VR was a mass market product... VR is still very niche, and this is not the only forum with the same sentiment towards FB.

Answering to the OP. I would rather spent more than to give money directly to facebook.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As a rift S user with a no facbebook account this integration jsut makes me pushed out of the platform. I can only hope that when my rift S breaks i can afford to buy non occulus VR.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Quest 2 hardware overall doesn't seem that great outside of a spec bump.

Also we should take shots any time the world bubble is mentioned. Everyone is within their own bubble if it isn't obvious yet.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forum is generally really soft on VR, and there's an incredibly vocal group of people who hate Facebook and would rather die than having an account there.

Beyond that, it's just a refinement of already solid VR hardware -- not really a next-generation product with an exciting library of new games. Unless you're already super-excited by the current PCVR library, this isn't something that's going to make you do cartwheels of joy.

julkanvi

Sep 14, 2020
even if you ignore the deeper Facebook integration (which I wouldn't suggest doing), it simply isn't a huge leap over the original Quest imo

There is still a big leap in resolution but most importantly in price, a 25% reduction is going to make it really more accesible to a lot of people.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I'm considering selling my HTC Vive and buying a Quest 2
The Vive is great, but anytime I want to play it takes about 20 mins to set it up, on top of needing to have thought ahead and charged the controllers.
Anytime I think about playing it after work, I end up just playing normal games because I can just sit down and go.
The idea of being able to just put the thing on and play makes me think I would use it a lot more.
Also listening to Jeff on the Bombcast say that he's been using remote desktop to play his PC games using the Quest 2 with no issue is a huge plus as well.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm considering selling my HTC Vive and buying a Quest 2
The Vive is great, but anytime I want to play it takes about 20 mins to set it up, on top of needing to have thought ahead and charged the controllers.
Anytime I think about playing it after work, I end up just playing normal games because I can just sit down and go.
The idea of being able to just put the thing on and play makes me think I would use it a lot more.
Also listening to Jeff on the Bombcast say that he's been using remote desktop to play his PC games using the Quest 2 with no issue is a huge plus as well.
yeah it's amazing. playing wireless PCVR with remote desktop has kinda killed all other VR experiences for me. when i have to tether back up for Link because of the (very small) number of games that don't support VD it's always such a downer

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Facebook. It's pretty understandable why a lot of folks maybe aren't super excited about the future of the Oculus platform.

Beyond that, the big thing is the price - it doesn't seem like it's a huge jump in performance from the first Quest, and it doesn't seem like there are going to be exclusive games made just for the Quest 2 that aren't available on the original Quest (which isn't even 2 years old). So it's more accessible, but I don't think it's going to be enabling some big leap forward in VR experiences.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Might get it, never tried VR before
Are there good horror games on that platform ? How does the shop work ?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
yeah it's amazing. playing wireless PCVR with remote desktop has kinda killed all other VR experiences for me. when i have to tether back up for Link because of the (very small) number of games that don't support VD it's always such a downer
The one thing I'm not clear on, does the Quest do room scale VR? Can you walk around the environments like with the Vive?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The one thing I'm not clear on, does the Quest do room scale VR? Can you walk around the environments like with the Vive?
yes, it absolutely does. you just set up the boundaries by tracing an outline of your room in VR and you've got room scale ready to go. there's no sensors or anything, it's all just built into the headset

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I find VR to be uninteresting for the most part. There are a few games that seem super cool on it, but not something I want to invest in just yet.
Honest question: How did Facebook facilitate genocide?

The only ones I actually ever see complain about Facebook are Era users that rarely state a reason, and right-wing nuts who consider Facebook too leftist friendly, too heavy on censoring conservatives, and generally anti-conservative (all of those reasons the rightos cite are hogwash and poppycock, really).
This is an important read:
www.buzzfeednews.com

"I Have Blood On My Hands": A Whistleblower Says Facebook Ignored Global Political Manipulation

A 6,600-word internal memo from a fired Facebook data scientist details how the social network knew about specific examples of global political manipulation — and failed to act.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not buying a Facebook anything. I'm also not that interested in VR, but if this were made by another company, I could see maybe picking one up in a year or two on sale, but I'm not spending $0.02 on a product made by Facebook.

Noel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I have the CV1 and Rift S to handle PCVR for now. Really wanted to get the Quest 2, and if they roll back the heavy Facebook integration I'd be happy to pick one up.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much any VR stuff (if it can't bring in console warring) falls off the front page. This really isn't the place to get your VR news/discussions. The OT has an active community, but it's a pretty small group of us regulars.

1) Doesn't seem that great, 2) Mandatory Facebook account.

The Facebook stuff has the potential to be an absolute shit show. I can't create a Facebook account (auto-locked) and I've got an HMD arriving in 5 days from Amazon. If they don't have the rumored firewalled system in place, this is going to be the worst hardware launch of all-time. Only old-school Facebook users will be able to use it.

The hardware is fucking amazing, though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are 100% out of question for me personally because of Facebook. I know that's not the case for everyone, but it is for me.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Lmao, I mean regardless of your decision based on it, if you seriously say you don't know the issues with Facebook you are either completely oblivious to anything happening in the world at large or you're just full of shit. Honestly, I just can't see any in-between in that scenario considering how FB has operated over the years in broad daylight and so much of their crap has been dredged up in very public ways over the last few years lol.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I think it's a combination of things. As many have already said, Facebook is one thing obviously, but I just get the impression VR isn't a big thing here. Maybe an unpopular opinion on my part, I also think there's a group of people who really make discussion about anything VR-related pretty unpleasant. I've had my opinion belittled and have more or less been harassed because I've said I'm not huge into VR in other topics with all kinds of elitist nonsense thrown at me. I think most of them are on my ignore list now, but it still largely put me off any potential discussions about VR I may find interesting even if I don't care much for the tech. I know I'm not alone in that experience, either. So a combo of a company that's hated by many, lack of interest and a somewhat hostile community (or at least some very hostile within that community) kind of will stop any big discussions or hype.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You say that, but if it wasn't for this site I don't think I would even know about it.

I'm not that big on VR but the Quest 2 does offer a good entry point into it. I still haven't really tried VR outside of a crappy cardboard one, so I might have gotten this to at least try it out if it wasn't a Facebook product.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, I mean regardless of your decision based on it, if you seriously say you don't know the issues with Facebook you are either completely oblivious to anything happening in the world at large or you're just full of shit. Honestly, I just can't see any in-between in that scenario considering how FB has operated over the years in broad daylight and so much of their crap has been dredged up in very public ways over the last few years lol.

Yes and no. None of the major newspapers over here have written much about Facebook's shady side besides the Cambridge Analytica mess, so Facebook being connected to dubious shit is just not something that media here really cares about or talks about. No idea why, if they just don't consider it something that would generate clicks and/or discussion or something along those lines.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yes and no. None of the major newspapers over here have written much about Facebook's shady side besides the Cambridge Analytica mess, so Facebook being connected to dubious shit is just not something that media here really cares about or talks about. No idea why, if they just don't consider it something that would generate clicks and/or discussion or something along those lines.

I mean, the 'Cambridge Analytica mess' should really be enough to answer any questions you'd have about why people had issues with FB tbh. Even before the more recent revelations, that whole thing pretty much showed how FB was being used as a tool by the far right to subvert democracy. And really, I mean FB was always notorious for just letting conspiracy theories and Nazies and that type of stuff essentially have free reign on the platform long before 2016, too.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
You know, since I am here, I will ask this. Can you use the Quest, either this new one or the old one, and download just like apps of VR places? Like could you get on an exercise bike and put this on and make it feel like you're biking through a forest or through the streets of Korea or something like that? Kind of a random thought, but just happened to think of that.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the 'Cambridge Analytica mess' should really be enough to answer any questions you'd have about why people had issues with FB tbh. Even before the more recent revelations, that whole thing pretty much showed how FB was being used as a tool by the far right to subvert democracy. And really, I mean FB was always notorious for just letting conspiracy theories and Nazies and that type of stuff essentially have free reign on the platform long before 2016, too.

Not to excuse FB, but the far right and Nazis were running free on basically all the major social media services (maybe besides Instagram, I guess Nazis aren't as concerned about posting pics of their lunch or whatever people actually use IG for). Weren't Twitter even worse than FB in regards to that?

Regarding Cambridge Analytica, AFAIK FB didn't actively take part in that, so I can only really fault them for having shitty security and for not discovering what was going on earlier.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Not to excuse FB, but the far right and Nazis were running free on basically all the major social media services (maybe besides Instagram, I guess Nazis aren't as concerned about posting pics of their lunch or whatever people actually use IG for). Weren't Twitter even worse than FB in regards to that?

Regarding Cambridge Analytica, AFAIK FB didn't actively take part in that, so I can only really fault them for having shitty security and for not discovering what was going on earlier.

That's fair, in the sense that you're not wrong in that it's really a social media problem in general, not just FB.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Because I am uninterested in Facebook subsidizing headsets to get their machine on the faces of millions and every VR Dev jumping to dumb down their games for mobile phone hardware.