• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The love in the thread for 11 is pretty surprising to me. I played it up to the first wily stage at my brother's a couple months ago and i was super unimpressed. Every stage is packed with kinda boringly binary gear puzzles where an enemy or puzzle is piss easy with meter and incredibly hard without it. The upgrade system left me feeling like i didn't have nearly enough gear meter to start but by the end i had way too much. The 2.5d was bad since the slightly angled perspective on everything going toward a horizon line made it much harder to see exactly where platforms and enemies ended compared to definitive pixel edges. All the boss weapons were remixes of existing ones. Seemed really underwhelming at the time, certainly not a bad game, but definitely something I found all too easy to walk away from and forget about.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Was it underappreciated? I didn't think so; --At least I can talk by myself; I loved the game!

The Classic series always has been my favorite, so I'm glad of having a new entry and the spotlight for a while. And while I'm not particularly interested, I'm pretty sure MM11 sales probably will result in MMX9 for next year

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
It's nowhere near to being my favorite game in the series, but I did like MM11 a lot, and completed it a couple times on superhero mode. I think at this point I'm just really thirsty for a new Mega Man X game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I uh, forgot it came out.

It's hard for me to get excited about vanilla Mega Man compared to X, Zero, Battle Network, etc. The limp demo didn't really help either.

Oct 2, 2018
Mega man 11? I feel like re2make doesnt get the appreciation it deserves seeing how quickly the thread fell off on era.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I beat the game five times back to back at the time of release. Rock solid MM title.

I'm still secretly hoping for future DLC that boasts an 8-bit style arrangement of the soundtrack. Listen to this goodness:

There is literally nothing memorable about this song, or any of MM11's music. Cool, it's 8-bit, but the OST was the weakest part of the game IMO.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Hard to appreciate a Mega Man game that cant even get boss doors right.

/s

I played it and mostly enjoyed it (Bounce Man stage can fuck right off), but ... it's Mega Man. There's not a lot there to celebrate.

IMO it failed to generate long-term appreciation due to being a little underwhelming - not as many stages as usual, easy, and a surprisingly mediocre soundtrack.

MM9/10 were super-sharp and on point for creating classic Mega Man hype. 11 is good but not great.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man's cultural impact has far outstripped its sales impact in the industry, which causes some confusion because we always assume the two are one and the same. There are a few other titles like this, such as Chrono Trigger (the SNES game sold about 200k in the US, never released in Europe, and I'm not sure any of the later rereleases even came close to breaking 1 million outside Japan). It's kinda weird to think that Cuphead, a quirky vintage animation game based on Treasure-style action games much more niche than Mega Man, has sold nearly 3 times as much as the highest selling MM ever.

I thought MM11 was an excellent really tightly designed experience, doing exactly what it needed to do without any superfluous fluff tacked on top. Even when ignoring the gear system (which I more or less did) I think it iterated on the classic formula just enough and in just the right ways. It's like it ignored everything about the post-8-bit sequels (sans the shop), systematically examined what made the original games really tick design wise, and then carefully decided on how to build on top of that in ways that feel more fundamentally meaningful.

One of my favorite things is how it still largely conforms to the screen being locked to scrolling on just one axis and basing the level design on that just like the NES games (something originally rooted in technical limitations but ends up being paramount to the game design), but there are a few select rooms that do scroll on both the X and Y axis, making those moments feel more calculated/distinguished and add some contrast to the pacing of the levels, almost like some sort of set piece. Just having multi-directional scrolling used indiscriminately simply because you can is something better left for the X series with its more fast paced acrobatic controls (something the 32-bit X games largely ignored, ironically)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I totally dug the game but it's lasting impact is unfortunately forgettable. I think the lack luster soundtrack somewhat hindered my appreciation for it.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never been terribly excited about classical sidescrolling megaman games. A ton of them were made in the past so a new one doesn't really excite me.

I just want MML3 or a new Battle Network series.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom couldn't be bothered to release the physical version of the game where I live nor the amiibo so I kind of reciprocate that same level of apathy. Even though what I played eventually was fun indeed.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I loved it, I think it was my GOTY back then. I actually feel like replaying it one of these days!

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Personally just don't care about it.
There are so many other Mega Man games I have not completed that I just have no need for it.
I also think it looks a bit uninspired.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I liked it fine, but it just wasn't among the better Mega Man titles that I had played. The music especially didn't do much, and that stuff weighs heavily on my enjoyment. I also didn't care for the Wily Stages all that much either, which was the reason I dropped my second playthrough.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its not a bad game but its kind of uneven. Without upgrades the game is tedious, with upgrades its too easy. For example item drops, I think the drop rate is stupid low if you don't have the perk. The mid-bosses were kind of shit also, the cylinder one repeats like 3 times.

Its also one of the shortest MM games, the Wily stages count to 4 but in reality its like 2. The boss rush also counts like one and I think the final battle too. Mediocre soundtrack and cheap cutscenes hurt it also.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man's cultural impact has far outstripped its sales impact in the industry, which causes some confusion because we always assume the two are one and the same. There are a few other titles like this, such as Chrono Trigger (the SNES game sold about 200k in the US, never released in Europe, and I'm not sure any of the later rereleases even came close to breaking 1 million outside Japan). It's kinda weird to think that Cuphead, a quirky vintage animation game based on Treasure-style action games much more niche than Mega Man, has sold nearly 3 times as much as the highest selling MM ever.

I thought MM11 was an excellent really tightly designed experience, doing exactly what it needed to do without any superfluous fluff tacked on top. Even when ignoring the gear system (which I more or less did) I think it iterated on the classic formula just enough and in just the right ways. It's like it ignored everything about the post-8-bit sequels (sans the shop), systematically examined what made the original games really tick design wise, and then carefully decided on how to build on top of that in ways that feel more fundamentally meaningful.

One of my favorite things is how it still largely conforms to the screen being locked to scrolling on just one axis and basing the level design on that just like the NES games (something originally rooted in technical limitations but ends up being paramount to the game design), but there are a few select rooms that do scroll on both the X and Y axis, making those moments feel more calculated/distinguished and add some contrast to the pacing of the levels, almost like some sort of set piece. Just having multi-directional scrolling used indiscriminately simply because you can is something better left for the X series with its more fast paced acrobatic controls (something the 32-bit X games largely ignored, ironically)
This. People acting like it's a niche series, or somehow the latest game is lacking merely because it's the latest (see: people making a big deal of it being the 11th as though that means anything in and of itself) is really weird. Like, yeah, ok, it doesn't sell literally Mario numbers. Great comparison. It is a highly successful, extremely prolific, venerated series with millions of fans.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was fine but I liked 9 and 10 better, tbh. With MM11 I was not really down with the style/design and the feel of 2.5D. Sountrack was lacking, too

Last edited:

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
It's not underrated or overrated enough for people to constantly be talking about. It's a good example of a rated game.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I didn't enjoy Mega Man 11 at all, and to date it's the only prominent platforming Mega Man game I haven't finished. It just isn't fun to play for me, the level design isn't up to scratch and the game feel doesn't match the graphics at all.

Maybe one day it'll click, but I've really tried to like Mega Man 11 and I just can't.

Oct 25, 2017
MM11 has the best bosses in the series and it's considered a pretty good entry in the series, if it had a better Wily Castle then I might have had even considered it as good as MM4 and MM9.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't manage to beat even one stage. I 've completed all the other Megaman games over and over. I can't wrap my head around the gear system.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I have over 80+ hours in Mega Man 11 and I consider myself a HUGE fan of the classic series (2 and 9 are my favorites).

I honestly believe that MM11 may be the best in the 11 game series. And I say that as someone who LOVES LOVES LOVES Mega Man 2, beat it 100x times and speedruns it constantly.

MM11 is great. It is definitely the most depth/complex of the series. As someone who is trying (pathetically) to speedrun the game, it is TOUGH.

I love it so much. I believe it was my GOTY last year.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It took one of the top spots in my Game of the Year list video! I love it.