• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So i only played a few stages of this game back when it first came out and it seemed really good. Based on what i played, it jus might shape up to be my favorite game in the series but because of other stuff that was going on with me at the time, i had to drop it. I always wanted to go back and i'm thinking that it's now the perfect time, but is it just me or has there been strangely very little conversation about this game since it came out? I barely ever hear it get mentioned, despite what happened with Mighty No 9 and fans begging for years for a proper Mega Man game. Which this game seems to deliver but it seems like no one cares about it.

Am i missing something here?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man was never that popular and MM11 is one of the few peaks the series had.

the only reason there were so many was because they were cheap to make and Inafune wanted them

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think the game itself is fairly well-regarded by most Mega Man fans, for what it's worth. Reception at release was largely quite positive, every Mega Man fan I knew enjoyed it.

I played it myself for a few hours and it's quite a fun game, I thought the gear mechanics were a great addition.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Mega Man's triumphant return after a near decade was a game with eight robot masters culminating in a fight with Wily.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's a great game. Mega Man has never really gotten the respect it deserves as a series though, especially from the press. Mega Man 9 is hands down one of the most finely crafted 2D platformers ever made and it barely got an 80 on Metacritic.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
11 is pretty well regarded by MM fans, it's absolutely fantastic. The game didn't make huge waves, but it came in at the right budget, right price, and focused on the classic Mega Man fandom where it has seemingly done quite well.

I agree it feels like it's unappreciated among the industry as a whole, but the community it was targeting has definitely received it very well.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I never wanted a new Mega Man game. I wanted a new X or Zero game. Classic Mega Man always got love, getting two games last generation and showing up in multiple cross over games.

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed it. I'd like another that pushes further away from the series template. Awesome revival, though. Hope it did well.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
11 is pretty well regarded by MM fans, it's absolutely fantastic. The game didn't make huge waves, but it came in at the right budget, right price, and focused on the classic Mega Man fandom where it has seemingly done quite well.

I agree it feels like it's unappreciated among the industry as a whole, but the community it was targeting has definitely received it very well.
This basically. MM11 knew what it was & did its job extremely well. The only issue is the instrumentation of the songs, which holds back the solid melodies (the instrumental & arranges versions of MM11's tracks prove this).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game and Capcom was happy with its performance! But it's kind of short and didn't really have any controversy attached to it or anything, so I can see why conversation on it has died down.

Definitely pick it up if you like Mega Man! I'd absolutely recommend it.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
I would somewhat appreciate Capcom if they could port the Megaman Zero series to current consoles (and physical versions)

Apr 19, 2018
I beat the game five times back to back at the time of release. Rock solid MM title.

This basically. MM11 knew what it was & did its job extremely well. The only issue is the instrumentation of the songs, which holds back the solid melodies (the instrumental & arranges versions of MM11's tracks prove this).

I'm still secretly hoping for future DLC that boasts an 8-bit style arrangement of the soundtrack. Listen to this goodness:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great Mega Man game, that's also just another Mega Man game, there's not really too much to say about it.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I too wonder why there isn't any hype for the eleventh fucking sequel of a 30 year old series

I have no doubt that Mega Man isn't a mechanically sound experience but come on, it's Mega Man. Are consumers really missing out on Mega Man?

In this day and gge where a 'good game' isn't enough to revitalize a brand, what is Capcom to do? Do they reinvent the wheel with another MM spin-off at the risk of alienating fans? Would Mega Man fans be willing for more experimentalism down the line or will they continue to ask for more of the same lmfao

I had my time with this franchise with the excellent Zero series and I do not se any reason to come back until something as exciting as Zero, or hell even Legends returns. Classic and X does nothing for me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
11 was fine but it was 2018, if they really wanted to put it on the map they probably should've followed along with what they had etched out with Mega Man Universe... user created levels, endless attack mode, all that jazz

but maybe they didn't want all that, rather just put a new mega man classic out there and that's fine too (allegedly it sold per expectations).

IMO the new mechanics were ingenious but not quite the re-envisioning they were probably hoping for

Last edited:

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I love this game, should be very close to a million sales by now. I hope it's enough to warrant a sequel, but secretly I wish for a new installment in the X series.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I am. Super Mario and Mega Man are both beloved and very popular platformer franchises that have been around for over three decades. Of course Super Mario is much larger, but to act like Mega Man is obscure and niche is silly.

There are plenty of 30+ year old gaming IPs that still get consistent support to this day and beside from like what, Tetris, none of those titles get the same volume of anticipation pre-release and post release like a Mario title.

If MM11 wasn't obscure and niche then why didn't people talk about it last year

maybe

maybe there isn't a discussion to be had about a pretty decent sequel to a game with 10 titles in it's mainline series beyond arbitrary, enthusiast bullshit like level design and music appreciation

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The artstyle soured me on the whole game. MM 1-10 are much better aesthetically, they should've gone for 8 / 16 bit pixel art instead.

You are comparing the biggest gaming intellectual property and the sequel to an immensely popular spin-off to

to Mega Man
Ah yes niche series MegaMan that's sold like 35 million copies over the course of 30 years.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Hilariously enough, Megaman Universe was the last time I was super enthusiastic about a Mega Man title and oop it got cancelled

Sad!

The artstyle soured me on the whole game. MM 1-10 are much better aesthetically, they should've gone for 8 / 16 bit pixel art instead.

Well damn with all of those copies sold SURELY there must be a discussion around the sequel to the hottest megaselling franchise

Mega Man

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It needed a restart system like Shovel Knight had. I liked the old Mega Man games, but repeating entire levels after dying just isn't my thing anymore.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am. Super Mario and Mega Man are both beloved and very popular platformer franchises that have been around for over three decades. Of course Super Mario is much larger, but to act like Mega Man is obscure and niche is silly.
I think the issue here is that "much larger" is an understatement. a good day for Mega Man is breaking one million. Mario does that in a weekend. by sheer numbers, a poor selling Mario game does as well as an average Mega Man game. so the whole "what about Mario" thing was never gonna work thanks to the scales involved

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

Ah yes niche series MegaMan that's sold like 35 million copies over the course of 30 years.
They only have a couple games of over 100 that even broke a million. The only ones I know are MM2, Battle Network 4, and an X game. It's not like these games are making waves.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
It's a wonderful game, and I hope it did well enough in Capcom's eyes to justify another - whether it's 12, X9 or something else entirely.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia stops people from admitting this is one of the best if not the best-playing Mega Man game ever made.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Mega Man 11 is an excellent game and I've beaten it several times.

However, I am obsessed with the X series so while MM11 was quite welcome I am in dire need of an X9.