• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of misinformation in an attempt to throw dirt on him and the understatement of his leaks in this thread is staggering.
Suddenly Trump becomes a lot less surprising.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory Generalizations/Ableism.
Snowden is a Libertarian.

There are no Libertarian heroes.

Libertarianism is an ideology devoid of moral force and has adherents who are mostly comprised of asberger's and autistics whose sole concern is the misguided application of order on a chaotic universe.

That's not a slam, but an accurate description - those types of people enjoy the wishful thinking of simple and clean systems in a world filled with grey and ambiguity. It explains why most of them become computer scientists or enter technical fields and avoid biology or literature.

Oct 25, 2017
It's common sense that Snowden clearly had something to give Russians aside from bad PR for the US. It's silly to actually believe he didn't keep information, especially to trade in exchange for asylum. You don't give up bargaining chips like that. Regardless of what's publicly said, what's known is he is indeed involved with the FSB and that alone is pretty telling. Typically if you're given (political) asylum you don't need to be constantly in contact with intelligence agencies years after you're given it.

I can't really comment on what most of Falcon511 is saying, but if it was just as black and white as you said then Russia more than likely would have handed him back over to the US by now.

"It's common sense."

No evidence provided. Pure conjecture. The IC hasn't said anything of the sort.

The events surrounding his request for political asylum are well documented. So is the fact that he didn't take anything with him.

Why yourself and so many others here are unashamedly peddling conspiracy theories is slightly perplexing. You're just saying shit without backing anything up. Not even the United States government or IC has reached the same conclusion you all have. So what evidence do you have that they don't? Or is it just your "common sense", which might I suggest is nothing more than delusion.

That's the story. A nice story, but a story none the less.

Just what the fuck are you talking about?

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Snowden is a Libertarian.

There are no Libertarian heroes.

Libertarianism is an ideology devoid of moral force and has adherents who are mostly comprised of asberger's and autistics whose sole concern is the misguided application of order on a chaotic universe.

That's not a slam, but an accurate description - those types of people enjoy the wishful thinking of simple and clean systems in a world filled with grey and ambiguity. It explains why most of them become computer scientists or enter technical fields and avoid biology or literature.
Nothing wrong with being autistic or having Asperger. Maybe what you try to say is that he was Idealist, but not autistic?

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
No its not utter shit. If you think Snowden is living in Russia rent free you are delusional. Of course he talks to the FSB. The Russian Government is run like mob. His lawyer also represented the Ex President of the Ukraine who was in Putins pocket. He has Russian Handlers.

The USA isnt perfect. I hate my country for its droning of innocent people in other countries. But I dont want Snowden benefiting a country that is run like the Mob. Who tried to influence our election. Read a book on Russia and open your eyes a bit?

That's not addressing my point at all. Serious you seem to have totally missed it. Also how many books on russia have you read anyway?

No one's advocating for Russia and the favt that you can't see this, but need to frame it that way is a big part of the issue with discourse here.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
That's not addressing my point at all. Serious you seem to have totally missed it. Also how many books on russia have you read anyway?

No one's advocating for Russia and the favt that you can't see this, but need to frame it that way is a big part of the issue with discourse here.
Enough to know that it's being run like the mob. I recommend Winter is Coming.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Umm, I wouldn't call ABC, NBC, CNN or MSNBC Russia Today, or state run television. They're pretty open.
All of them are the same when it comes to the image of the U.S, lol. Have you ever seen ABC, NBC, CNN, and MSNBC's reporting regarding conflicts the U.S are involved in? What about when Trump launched air strikes in Syria in 2017? Did you see the shit show of MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC and their lauding of Trump doing it? Why do you think the U.S media when it reports on Yemen doesn't even mention that the U.S itself is the one enforcing the blockade with its own fucking warships? The media rallies around the country when it comes to projecting U.S image to the rest of the world. The U.S media are way far up their asses in nationalism because most Americans are far up their asses in nationalism. I have never seen U.S media criticise elements of the government that are not related to political lines (i.e things that persist among administrations, things parties agree on), like what Snowden exposed. It's the same reason why coverage of Palestine and Israel are the same across the media, because they fall in line with what is ideologically agreed up across the two parties. Fox barely used the spying scandal as a political tool to attack the Obama administration, which says a lot already, because it has nothing to do with Obama's administration specifically. The U.S both the government and media have a very bad history with whisteblowers, it's not some unknown territory.

Again, it doesn't matter that Snowden left the country, the media still did nothing about the crimes he exposed, they focused squarely on him, which is irrelevant, and the fact that nobody responsible for the crimes of the government has faced or will ever face the law either, all of this is irrelevant of whether he left the country or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with being autistic or having Asperger. Maybe what you try to say is that he was Idealist, but not autistic?

I have in fact been diagnosed with mild, extremely high-functioning autism. Not all autistics are libertarians, but every libertarian I know personally is one. Ron Paul is most certainly on the spectrum.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What scary is not people believing him to be a traitor, that much i get. It's people acknowledging all the low down spying we were doing domestic and abroad and believing the state was justified in doing it.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
It's incredible to me how half of the topic is posters with mostly low-effort, unsupported, drive-by posts screaming about how Snowden is a traitor and how he's a Russian operative. Y'all have all of this anger for Snowden and yet he exposed how the federal government is violating the Constitutional rights of literally all Americans all the time, and you don't have shit to say about that?

That's the real treachery right there.

Even from the liberal standpoint, ignoring the gross implications and the larger picture, you have an agency where there were people abusing their access to data to spy on lovers or former lovers or family. You have an agency where nude photos were plundered en masse and traded like baseball cards. Didn't like the Jennifer Lawrence iCloud leak? This was a state-sanctioned version of that. And there's the danger of having metadata about people's personal interactions and habits... you could easily blackmail someone who was having an affair. Or you could use the data to target LGBT Americans who were still in the closet. Or immigrants.

If you aren't mad about this stuff, but you are angry that Edward Snowden fled the US after providing us hard proof that the Obama administration violated the civil rights of millions of Americans, then there's something deeply wrong with you.

Thank you my friend.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Snowden was probably the single biggest event you can point to for the rapid increase in TLS and E2E encryption to be used on the internet, so we can thank him for that.

I've no clue about his intensions but the way he handled it by dumping such large amount of data unsifted endangered a lot of people in the IC and important operations, so for that I don't think he deserves the title 'hero'.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
If you don't think the book and the entire library would been thrown at Snowden had he turned himself in, you're deluding yourself. He probably would've quietly disappeared, just like how the media quietly brush anything controversial under a rug.

Actually, yes. I would've stayed, and pled my case in a public court to the American people and press. Unlike him.
It would have been a circus for the ages. He would have been raked over the coals to hell and back.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
not sure how people can believe in civil liberties and disagree with what Snowden did (and, following that, not view him as a hero). It speaks to a tribalism at odds with their stated values

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to prove otherwise. Preferably without using the American government's story. Which was also a nice story.
No. Because I've actually followed what Russia does.

https://venturebeat.com/2014/05/22/...den-is-cooperating-with-russian-intelligence/

"These days, the Russians are very pleased with the gifts Edward Snowden has given them. He's busy doing something. He is not just idling his way through life."

"The FSB are now his hosts, and they are taking care of him," Kalugin boldly claimed in an interview with VentureBeat.

The 80 year-old retired Soviet intelligence officer is Russian spy royalty personified. At 34, he became the youngest KGB general in history, and Kalugin famously helped run Soviet spy operations in America during a career that spanned over three decades

What if the Russians admitted it?

The discourse here is stunning. He's a defector, Hunt for Red October in reverse.

Nov 11, 2017
Snowden was probably the single biggest event you can point to for the rapid increase in TLS and E2E encryption to be used on the internet, so we can thank him for that.

I've no clue about his intensions but the way he handled it by dumping such large amount of data unsifted endangered a lot of people in the IC and important operations, so for that I don't think he deserves the title 'hero'.
'Unsifted' is that the case? I believe he worked with a ton of news outlets/journalists who combed through it all before releasing the data. That's obviously not to say that it was all information the public needed to know but it's still far from 'unsifted' like most the Manning leak.

Oct 25, 2017
https://venturebeat.com/2014/05/22/...den-is-cooperating-with-russian-intelligence/

The discourse here is stunning. He's a defector, Hunt for Red October in reverse.

What you mean to say is that a former KGB general has "admitted" to it despite not being any position to know whether he took or provided anything to the Chinese or Russian state.

Again, there isn't any evidence that he has. It is well documented that he didn't.

Don't you think if this was a fact, the US state would shout it from the rooftops? Probably no, because reasons.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

By 'the russians', do you mean a dude that has been living in the US for over 30 years, gave up intelligence of his own to the American government and has been an American citizen for over 15 years? Because i don't see how this guy represents the Russians or why his words are any more credible than Snowden's. Or how he has any knowledge of what the FSB is doing currently.

But even if we were to assume good faith and magical knowledge, it has nothing to do with whether Snowden intended to go to and stay in Russia or whether he was stranded there and had to make do. Which was my point in the first place, if you follow that exchange.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
'Unsifted' is that the case? I believe he worked with a ton of news outlets/journalists who combed through it all before releasing the data. That's obviously not to say that it was all information the public needed to know but it's still far from 'unsifted' like most the Manning leak.
Yeah, unsifted is a bit hyperbolic. Certainly not thorough enough those - enough information was released that could tie individual members of the IC to their work.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Enough to know that it's being run like the mob. I recommend Winter is Coming.

I'll get my analysis from academics and academic presses not pop history/ social sciences from chess players and some press I've never heard of.

Moreover you've again totally missed the point somehow. No one is advocating for Russia. The world is not some Hegelian conflict between America and Russia.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think he's a hero, and I don't think he's a villain (based on the leak alone. ) I think a hero would do the right thing, do it prudently, and then accept the consequences. Knowing that accepting the consequences for his actions is part of the sacrifice, and to show his conviction that what he did was righteous. By running, I feel as though he has a sense of guilt or entitlement. And we don't really know what kind of asset he currently is or has been within Russia. History will judge him for the entirety of his actions.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I don't think he's a hero, and I don't think he's a villain (based on the leak alone. ) I think a hero would do the right thing, do it prudently, and then accept the consequences. Knowing that accepting the consequences for his actions is part of the sacrifice, and to show his conviction that what he did was righteous. By running, I feel as though he has a sense of guilt or entitlement. And we don't really know what kind of asset he currently is or has been within Russia. History will judge him for the entirety of his actions.

Why this fixation on suffering? That's stupid.

Again, Liberalism was basically founded by someone who did this.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
What you mean to say is that a former KGB general has "admitted" to it despite not being any position to know whether he took or provided anything to the Chinese or Russian state.

Again, there isn't any evidence that he has. It is well documented that he didn't.

Don't you think if this was a fact, the US state would shout it from the rooftops? Probably no, because reasons.
Lol one of the KGBs most respected former officers with multiple sources still inside Russian intel is not in a position to know. Ok.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I'll get my analysis from academics and academic presses not pop history/ social sciences from chess players and some press I've never heard of.

Moreover you've again totally missed the point somehow. No one is advocating for Russia. The world is not some Hegelian conflict between America and Russia.
So whats your point?

Also dont be degrading. Thats rude.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
History will judge him for the entirety of his actions.

Heh history is often a mishmash of facts and accepted propaganda. At least the one widely disseminated. He's been branded a traitor by nationalistic interests and that assessment will live on in parts of the collective memory, irregardless of the facts.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What should be clear from this thread is the American state could do pretty much anything and as long as you frame it as anti-russia its populace will cheer it on.

Don't forget that Obama had to also be in office at the time and he would have totes pardoned Snowden if he just hadn't run.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol one of the KGBs most respected former officers with multiple sources still inside Russian intel is not in a position to know. Ok.

Again, not a single one of you has provided evidence for your assertions. This is the best you've got. Let me repeat this to you, not even your own state peddles the bullshit you do.

What should be clear from this thread is the American state could do pretty much anything and as long as you frame it as anti-russia its populace will cheer it on.

Basically.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
So whats your point?

I've said it multiple times. Your go to is framing this as just Russia vs US which is nonsense.

Also dont be degrading. Thats rude.

I'm failing to see how pointing out that book is hardly authoritative is rude. It's especially not rude given that earlier you told me to read a book and then offer that as your expert advice.

You can't posture as a dismissive expert and then offer trite like that up.

Last edited:

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why this fixation on suffering? That's stupid.

Again, Liberalism was basically founded by someone who did this.
It's not about suffering, it's about obeying the law; the part we should all agree on that no one is above it. And not potentially turning yourself into a puppet for an adversarial government for the sake of some "liberty." Keep in mind there are those who have sacrificed their very lives for this country only to be forgotten time, let alone be called heroes.