• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Era can be pretty insufferable at times when enough people decide to hate on a game or a company and turn every thread into a cesspool of negativity and hostility. I don't even click on certain threads anymore, even if the topic interests me.

But I can't agree on the examples you give. Some things are more important than which entertainment products you like and dislike.

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't twitter, Facebook or instagram. No one is doing anything about it here. It's an echo chamber.

And I literally just said I'm going to put those threads on ignore so I won't be reading such threads.

We're showing that there is a resistance to it, we are voicing our opinion, and sure it's not visible to other people than the people reading ERA, but at least there are some resistance within the gaming community, and people who lurk sees that. Might not be much, but it's more than you're doing by showing your head in the sand.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring issues is never a good thing. Not when it comes to your own mental or physical issues, not when it comes to the cancer that is bigotry in our societies. Ignorance might be a bliss for you personally, but it's something that a lot of people suffer from when society at large let's shitty people & shitty phenomena run rampant.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
why don't you focus your keen insight ability into railing against actual hate that plagues this hobby and its internet presence at large and not just forum threads about people of note who willfully say dumb shit

this is shortsighted and inane

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't twitter, Facebook or instagram. No one is doing anything about it here. It's an echo chamber.

And I literally just said I'm going to put those threads on ignore so I won't be reading such threads.

It's interesting then whenever we have these threads, people don't just echo what other people say. The OP is an embodiment of this. Your premise is flawed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish there was a subforum 'politics' where people could discuss opinions of somewhat game-related people, etc.

I'm here for gaming news and discussions, and every thread that's about political or ethical opinions I put on ignore. That's just not what I come here for.
So it's not enough that you can already ignore these threads, you want to shove all of these threads into a subforum hidden away out of sight and mind. Ugh.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I agree almost entirely with what you say.
However, we signed up to be in this bubble.
Just ignore the threads that are obviously gonna end up badly

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
So it's not enough that you can already ignore these threads, you want to shove all of these threads into a subforum hidden away out of sight and mind. Ugh.
Your source for videogame news and discussion doesn't have to be tied with rage filled politics, you know?
Edit: and not the "keep politics out of games" argument. I'm talking literal, daily politics.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

That's how little I browse these forums. Not enough time. I had no idea!
But by discussing why these opinions are harmful and should be opposed here, you have the possibility to make others aware of said opinions and why they are bad.

Look at the boogie thread when he was invited to the game awards. Quite a few people came in thinking he was a nice guy but because myself and others were detailing all of the horrible things he has done or said they realised and agreed why some people complain about him getting positive attention in the media.

Allowing influential people to spread these hateful ideals and opinions unchallenged only allows it to grow and be seen as acceptable.

If you don't want to be a part of that, thats up to you but to criticise those trying to make a change and making it clear that we don't want these harmful opinions around just makes you look bad.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That's your prerogative, but it is important to analyze and discuss these situations. Progress is not made by ignoring hate speech, it needs to be brought into light and condemned in order for any action to take place. Milo does not lose his funding and audience if we just collectively block him on Twitter and leave it that.

A few alt-right Youtubers just had their Patreons shut down, and it would not have happened if the community against these people were not vocal.
I should add that I have absolutely no problem with others discussing this stuff (be it the insane rantings of Notch (even though I think there's nothing left to say in those threads other than 'what an idiot', which is why I ignored it), or the Jaffe and Ninja award things as cited in the OP); just letting OP know he can ignore it if it really bothers him.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish we had a separate forum for threads that are more driven by politics. I'd say 9/10 of the replies I type are never submitted because threads often become more about politics or ethics rather than gaming. Most of us are here specifically for gaming, and I think a lot of us would prefer the discussion to be based solely on that.

We live in an era of detached, utopian delusion enabled by the unprecedented level of comfort and privilege that the amenities of modernity provide and what's popularly extolled is a product and reinforcement of said delusion. This enables people to be incredibly vocal about things, especially on the internet.
as i've pointed out before, you keep going into political threads to say you don't like political threads. it's bizarre.

and by bizarre i mean intentional.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i feel like this is more of an american thing and since ERA is mostly American-centric, that's the situation right now...

case in point, i'm not american but from somebody outside looking in, it seems americans like to choose sides and there's no room for 'no sides/both sides' argument. You either must choose a side or you are arguing in bad faith. And that side must be my side if not you are a piece of shit. And my side is uncompromising. And to be labelled as a good person, you must say every right thing ever.......till you said a wrong thing and you will be labelled as a fucking POS devil incarnate. Or if you did or said nothing and then you will be labelled as 'helping' the other side by not fighting against the 'wrong' side thus you will also be labelled as a fucking POS devil incarnate.

And your president you (or your electoral college) elected is not helping the situation to get any better :-\

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wished you had picked some legitimate gripes like gamers identifying some rando female employee as the cause of all of ME: Andromeda's problems and promptly swamping her with death threats, or puddlegate, or gamers brigading companies like ArenaNet into firing employees instead of your two terrible examples of Ninja and Jaffe putting their feet in their mouthes.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a single warning the entire time I've been here.

I was banned on GAF once in 10 years.

What are ya'll posting that you're so afraid to get warnings and bans? lol.

I wished you had picked some legitimate gripes like gamers identifying some rando female employee as the cause of all of ME: Andromeda's problems and promptly swamping her with death threats, or puddlegate, or gamers brigading companies like ArenaNet into firing employees instead of your two terrible examples of Ninja and Jaffe putting their feet in their mouthes.

Yeah, OP is pretty much why so much hate for people that do stupid shit?

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the warnings/bans. If you say a dissenting opinion and enough people don't like it, they will report you into oblivion and the mods will ban you saying that you are trolling and console warring. For having a different opinion?
Nah, you just happen to act like a total prick in Nintendo related threads quite often and that's why you get banned/ warned.

The moderation is more than decent here.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is a progressive forum that tries to make it safe for users that would otherwise be unwelcome to the general gaming community, which has proven to be toxic and bizarrely out of control. Moderators have a hard job in choosing how to best keep the forum a safe and healthy environment for everybody, so yeah some topics will result in warnings and the occasional ban. If you're worried about some of the ban decisions, you can PM a moderator and ask them about it.

Topics that expose shitty behaviour will, more often than not, result in negative discussion of said person being shitty. I don't really see what's wrong with the Jaffe example. Particularly now when celebrities and voices of influence are being exposed for the pieces of shit they are, you have to expect there will be dramatic threads about it.

Are there a lot of things that we, as a community, could do better? Of course! There's always room for improvement, why not start some positive and fun threads about stuff you like? We need less dark topics.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
It doesn't look like this discussion is going in a productive direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.