• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
To this day and beyond, I am still wondering when can we have female protagonists that are straight? Tired of this "Need No Man" bull. It's still okay to Want A Man.
This is actually a thing, where game developers/publishers intentionally don't give female protagonists male love interests. It's because the audience is still presumed to be mostly made up of straight men, and they don't want to potentially push them away by making them "feel weird" when the character they control has a romance with a male NPC.

Jim Sterling talks about this a little in this old Jimquisition:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wanting things to be done properly isn't sitting quietly and peacefully doing nothing, stop mangling my words.
skillzilla81, was the rest of your post supposed to be for me (you seem to be replying to stuff I never said and topics I never even approached, is why I ask)?

I feel as if we're demanding too little, not too much. Demanding too much would be wanting volume and quantity, I feel as if demaning only volume is demaning way too little, not too much.

The fallout of rushing progress is that new generations hate progressives more by the day. The fallout is what happened in the 80s after the 60s and 70s tried to do things too fast: you get an entire generation raising arms against you and completely undoing all the progress you fought for and actually making it worse than it was before.
To what are you referring here?

I just don't get your definition of "proper" as anything but "don't rock the boat enough to make the white people super duper mad."

If that isn't what you mean you seriously need to articulate it better.

You can't tell the people who are being injusticed to not rush. What sense does that make? We've had decades for game developers to evolve and work out the issue themselves, the time for benefit of the doubt has long passed. People want to see change in their lifetimes.

Believe it or not, you are actually parroting a different version of the same "it shouldn't be forced" line that the others do in bad faith. Just simply having minorities in a game's cast should not be something you see as a monumental task that requires careful planning and world building. They don't need complex backstory and motivation as reasons to exist in the games. We are regular people IRL, why does that not translate?

Why is having ethnicity outside of white faces in a game's main cast seen as such an irregular event. THAT is the issue. We are discussing the topic of diversifying video games as if it is as monumental as adding Real-Time Ray-Traycing to a scene. A character being Black/Hispanic/Asian/Other should not be this big of a deal.

The fact that we are having such an in depth discussion on something that is so everyday simple is an indictment on the situation at hand.

Why do you feel people are only asking for volume? Of course the quality of well written character comes with that, people just don't want every black/ethnic character to have their place in the game justified by some in game reason. Let them be there because they are just... there.

The truth is, until it becomes ubiquitous, yes, someone on the team of developers literally needs to be conscious enough to ask, "Do we have too many white characters in this picture?" That's how it has to be. Yes, it has to be forced. No, changing one of them to be a different race does not mean you need to rewrite their entire history to justify it. They need to be treated as regular as every white character in the game. That's it.

The proper way to do it is to ask white developers to consciously make an effort to get it done, sooner than later.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Look at the views videos that feature anti-"SJW" (propelled by algorithms that lead to red pilling and perhaps even worse) gaming content in comparison to general reviews and overviews. Even if a few thousand of said views were from critical eyes, that's still hundreds of thousands of people who click away to eat up said content from around the world.

It is even worse for women and LGBTQ+ folks because they are not seen as equal and hated, respectively, across many countries. This produces a greater pool of people across the globe who find said YT content to be very agreeable with their outlook.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So you don't play games? Or are you also automatically racist, homophobic, and sexist because you play games?? Listen to how you sound. It's so hyperbolic and over the top. You just want to yell and scream instead of dealing with the issue. Just adding more toxic noise.
A little rich don't you think, coming from the person that ran into a discussion about diversity in games to whine because someone said "gamers" negatively in a broad fashion. Gamers frequently act like dog shit around these issues, did you have anything to add or are you going to be the next in that long line?

Cycloneon

Banned
Jun 28, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns on Representation and Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Racism Over Multiple Posts; Account in Junior Phase
A little rich don't you think, coming from the person that ran into a discussion about diversity in games to whine because someone said "gamers" negatively in a broad fashion. Gamers frequently act like dog shit around these issues, did you have anything to add or are you going to be the next in that long line?

This isn't something new and it isn't one person. That is some ridiculous hyperbole that is just causing more of a divide and more toxicity. People on this forum see tame things from 'gamers' and bloe it completely out of proportion and then wonder why nothing is getting solved. Open up a dialogue and be more level headed and try to see things from all sides.

There are multiple types of this ludicrous comments from people on here and game journos. I was just talking to one who outright said "Gamers are Nazis" and this man tried to seriously justify that embarassing rhetoric. And he works for a bigger site, he's not some nobody.

Why would anyone listen to you talking about them like that? But most of the people on your side will double down, I guarantee. Humans are tribal. Nobody is debating if someone is outright being evil, but people defend the kind of attacks your pushing against 'gamers' as if it's some moral good! Hopefully some people start to understand and think tactically.