• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I'd say that when you play someone like Trevor the game stablish in some way or another that you are being bad. I don't think that'd be the case with a cop game.
And not even in game, like everybody knows that people like Trevor (I haven't play GTA V, I hope what I heard of him is right) are assholes and bigots, but somehow there is a debate with police and some people consider that they are good (I don't know, don't ask me). So I'd say it is controversal.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You get to stuff like ACAB because you never see the good cops speak up or go after the bad ones even when their filmed doing bad things.

They're silent or defend the evil.

So until we really see good cops stepping up for citizens and not just a "brotherhood"...
Exactly. Accepting and enabling the status quo makes them just as faulty.

The only goods cops are in Brooklyn Nine Nine, and they're fictional.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
huh?

i thought that B was for bad

also, huh?

I get it,majority of cops are bad, but, so are criminals?
It's not one or the other lol

please explain to me which gta protagonist isn't bad
No its bastards, All Cops Are Bastards

And no, the reason people think ACAB is because of incredibly rampant and widespread wrongful arrests and shootings, with a sizeable amount of fully innocent(mostly black and other poc) people trapped in jail or dead

If you're talking actual criminals, for the most part, game criminals are not real world bigots that target innocent people based on nothing but bigotry.

Also, I agree, all the GTA protagonists(besides like? Franklin? Never finished 5 though) are awful pieces of shit and I despise having to actually play as them. They suck in every context, as do GTAs writers.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The singleplayer in Hardline is what you're asking for. It basically was a American cop tv show of sorts.

Slyrelishman

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
My uncle is a cop and a minority

Is he a bastard too?

The posters making sweeping generalizations about the police need to chill. Yes, there is racial injustice in this country (USA) but all cops aren't racist white supremacist. Dear lord.

Thank you for your rational thinking. Broad generalizations are almost as dangerous and contagious as the current pandemic.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Does this count?
zOBrGKo.jpg

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nobody is about to put in the work or budget to make a cop game of all things, at least one of any note.

And for good reason.

Oct 29, 2017

Is he a bastard too?

The posters making sweeping generalizations about the police need to chill. Yes, there is racial injustice in this country (USA) but all cops aren't racist white supremacist. Dear lord.
Yea lol. The worst cops in my old hood was a black dude n a Mexican guy. Them being brown like me didn't stop shit.

is he calling out all the terrible shit cops do?Or does he defend it?
If it's the latter then yea bruh ya family is included.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Point of Comparison Regarding Concerns of Systemic Issues with Policing
Considering how the violent, racist and corrupt the police are, do you really want to play as a cop?
Because fuck cops

Remember when battlefield hardline came out a few months after the Ferguson events
When push comes to shove? Yeah, they are.

I knew there were going to be some quality opinions coming into this thread. Moderation has been extremely complacent thus far towards hateful rhetoric aimed at an entire profession worldwide, so I guess it's okay to continue.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I knew there were going to be some quality opinions coming into this thread. Moderation has been extremely complacent thus far towards hateful rhetoric aimed at an entire profession worldwide, so I guess it's okay to continue.

An entire profession worldwide that uses state violence to harm the marginalized and poor is not a vulnerable minority.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This will go well, I'm sure.

Anyway, outside of a few tactics type games, I'm not sure what the particular appeal would be from a gameplay standpoint. To be even remotely realistic, you'd have to keep the scenarios and weapons and enemies fairly low level, since anything more wouldn't be the sort of problem you'd have cop try to solve. I can imagine a new Rainbow 6 Vegas type SWAT approach, maybe, but that would have to involve some degree of budget and as we know the R6 stuff is wrapped up in Siege atm. I mean, it would be fun, and I'd be curious to see, but I assume there's a reason why they've gone the esports route vs single player campaigns - it's probably just too niche otherwise to warrant the cost. Also, as we can see, there is much...debate to be had about the merits of playing as such individuals at all.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
You get to stuff like ACAB because you never see the good cops speak up or go after the bad ones even when they're filmed doing bad things.

They're silent or defend the evil.

So until we really see good cops stepping up for citizens and not just a "brotherhood"...

I totally agree that we don't see a lot of good police officers publicly step up to challenge the system, but I'm going to speak about the bolded part to what I was talking about. First of all, those who would defend the evil, are themselves bad, and not the group I was talking about. Those that are silent, MAY be trying to do good behind the scenes, MAY be under fear of the system they work in, etc. I'm not going to go into hypothetical situations, but my point is that silent to the public does not necessarily mean they do or say absolutely nothing.

"ACAB" is about the system of policing, not the individuals. It is impossible to be a "good cop" because the job doesn't allow it.

Call me optimistic, but I refuse to believe that the cop who pulled over and helped me when I skid off the road during a winter storm has the same moral compass as the ones who targeted me and my friends when I was younger (I was still apprehensive AF when he asked if I wanted to sit in his car, believe me). I know to say the system has issues is really putting it lightly, but I don't believe that it produces 100% evil. Again, that may be optimistic of me, but as a father I have to hope that there are those who will protect my daughters when called upon to do so. The alternative is that I pass on my issues onto the next generation, which just continues the cycle.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so what do you have to go on if you say ACAB when you know nothing about the officer other than race and a uniform? Stop with the sweeping generalization; it's pure stupidity.

I mean, I didn't say ACAB...

Has your uncle regularly arrested other cops or busted up cofruptness within his own department? Those are the cops I like, the ones who have a spine and don't just say they are there to do good.

Those are rare and lots of cops actually hate those cops.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I mean, I didn't say ACAB...

Has your uncle regularly arrested other cops or busted up cofruptness within his own department? Those are the cops I like, the ones who have a spine and don't just say they are there to do good.

Those are rare and lots of cops actually hate those cops.
You clearly know nothing about the police force or procedures if you think they can just go vigilante and arrest each other. And no, I don't call up my Uncle and say "Hey Unc, busted any of your corrupt colleagues yet?"

But this is derailing the thread so I'll just drop it. Point is, anyone who says ACAB is a generalizing moron.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Call me optimistic, but I refuse to believe that the cop who pulled over and helped me when I skid off the road during a winter storm has the same moral compass as the ones who targeted me and my friends when I was younger (I was still apprehensive AF when he asked if I wanted to sit in his car, believe me). I know to say the system has issues is really putting it lightly, but I don't believe that it produces 100% evil. Again, that may be optimistic of me, but as a father I have to hope that there are those who will protect my daughters when called upon to do so. The alternative is that I pass on my issues onto the next generation, which just continues the cycle.

The primary purpose of the police is to protect the state, the ruling class, and private property. There is no doubt many people join the force because they want to help their communities and fellow citizens; that is the power of propaganda. "ACAB" isn't "all cops are mindless drones that exist to only fuck over minorities and poor people," it's a statement that they are part of a larger system that they are unable to reform because it exists to not be reformed. People who call out corrupt cops typically risk losing their job, or worse, so they become silent and complacent. It's a system where people protect their own. It's not that it produces 100% evil as a system, it's that it's fundamentally designed to enforce the state and law to the last letter.

There is certainly value in a sort of rescue group that you can call on in a time of need, or help when you are dealing with a violent domestic dispute, or the like. This would be a fundamental need in most societies. The police force cannot be in that in its current state. Assuming one day our children are in a position where they need to call the police, presumably the police should be able to protect them without any sort of danger even if people say mean things about them online.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Yea lol. The worst cops in my old hood was a black dude n a Mexican guy. Them being brown like me didn't stop shit.

is he calling out all the terrible shit cops do?Or does he defend it?
If it's the latter then yea bruh ya family is included.
Your one anecdotal statement sure proves that every single cop in America is corrupt, yup. This mindset is toxic; no different than the cops who are discriminate based off skin color or assume all brown people are criminals. And I'm black.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
You clearly know nothing about the police force or procedures if you think they can just go vigilante and arrest each other. And no, I don't call up my Uncle and say "Hey Unc, busted any of your corrupt colleagues yet?"

But this is derailing the thread so I'll just drop it. Point is, anyone who says ACAB is a generalizing moron.

A cop dropping the dime on other officers for the various shit bad cops get away with would be the exact opposite of vigilantism tho... but yeah, skewing offtopic.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The game industry is too immature, homogenous, and beholden to the delusion of "apolitical thinking" to do a cop game right in a era of ever-increasing police scrutiny.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018

Is he a bastard too?

Don't bother.

The sweeping generalizations made frequently are embarrassing and ironic. I appreciate the work your uncle does at a time like this. I wish all first responders good luck in these times.

Slyrelishman

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Don't bother.

The sweeping generalizations made frequently are embarrassing and ironic. I appreciate the work your uncle does at a time like this. I wish all first responders good luck in these times.

Tell your uncle Slyrelishman thanks him and will always have his back!

Those of us behind a keyboard can't imagine what it is like to put on your uniform and not know with 100% certainty you'll be safe while doing your job.

And then you come home from work and see your profession slandered by a biased media that bleeds into social network. The world isn't THAT scary and the majority of people WANT to do good for each other. End the hate on all ends!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oh boo hoo, cops are the second most oppressed race next to gamers

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed Urban Chaos: Riot Response on the PS2. Rocksteady's first game. The riot shield was a great mechanic.