• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
- I wholly agree with the bolded statement, but it's as laughable as the implication that ALL cops are corrupt PoS. And that's coming from someone who has faced racial profiling quite a few times in his life. Do I trust police? It's hard for me to. Do I think they're all terrible human beings because of the actions of some of their colleagues? No. Make no mistake, I'm not defending the system, but I think statements like "ACAB" are just potshots that don't actually bring meaningful dialogue to the problem.

EDIT: As for the OP, I think the idea of a full-blown cop game would face a lot of opposition (as you can see in this thread alone) and may not sell well.

You get to stuff like ACAB because you never see the good cops speak up or go after the bad ones even when they're filmed doing bad things.

They're silent or defend the evil.

So until we really see good cops stepping up for citizens and not just a "brotherhood"...

Last edited:

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
No need for new ones. We already got these:

hqdefault.jpg

FYI, Darryl Gates, who was the LA police commissioner during the Rodney King beating and the LA riots, was creatively involved with one of the Police Quest games. Yikes.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
- I wholly agree with the bolded statement, but it's as laughable as the implication that ALL cops are corrupt PoS. And that's coming from someone who has faced racial profiling quite a few times in his life. Do I trust police? It's hard for me to. Do I think they're all terrible human beings because of the actions of some of their colleagues? No. Make no mistake, I'm not defending the system, but I think statements like "ACAB" are just potshots that don't actually bring meaningful dialogue to the problem.

EDIT: As for the OP, I think the idea of a full-blown cop game would face a lot of opposition (as you can see in this thread alone) and may not sell well.

"ACAB" is about the system of policing, not the individuals. It is impossible to be a "good cop" because the job doesn't allow it.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
37019-title-Taiho-Shichauzo.jpg

justiceiro

It is called You are Under Arrest, based on a known manga/anime series where slice of life, comedy, romance and wacky or small cases is the focus. The characters above are the protagonists and they wear skirts too. Though second is more brute forcing

There is also a ps1/nds adaptation of Kochikame, the ultimate police manga

Last edited:

Slyrelishman

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Considering how the violent, racist and corrupt the police are, do you really want to play as a cop?

I'm sorry. The majority of cops are good people and put their lives on the line to try their best to protect the public. It's because people that dedicate their lives to this that we can sit behind our computers and express our opinions about trivial things such as video games.

Please remember that if you ever need them they're only a phone call away!

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'm sorry. The majority of cops are good people and put their lives on the line to try their best to protect the public. It's because people that dedicate their lives to this that we can sit behind our computers and express our opinions about trivial things such as video games.

Please remember that if you ever need them thet're only a phone call away!

Thanks cops!
#blessed

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The real reason is to make most shooters fun, you need a high body count. Something which would feel very wrong given you're suppose to be a cop, not a mercenary.

If you made it a detective game with some shooty bits... That is something we definitely should see more of. Think LA Noire with more puzzle solving.

This is it really. Its hard to make something with repetitive interactions engaging without making it a shooter. So cop games have to either be investigative puzzle solving, or take place during a time of crisis to justify combat (zombie outbreak in RE2, etc).

Because society can only exist in the framework of the police state.

What they mean is even if you get rid of the police you still need people to act in the role of enforcing rules. Don't speed on the road, don't murder, don't mug people, don't rape, etc. There are societies that have had no police but they still had people like Guards and Militias enforcing laws in those societies.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
FYI, Darryl Gates, who was the LA police commissioner during the Rodney King beating and the LA riots, was creatively involved with one of the Police Quest games. Yikes.

Police Quest iv-vi and the Swat spinoffs specifically. It's pretty easy to see the distinction, too. IV was literally called "open season".

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The topic isn't about the organization tho
It's about a game in which you are part of the organization

what

You got some brown on your nose there

Cops don't protect me for shit

Jan 2, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): downplaying racism
What about a cop game set in Europe? We don't have that much problems with them, in comparison to the US and in consequence don't hate them as much.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A modern cop game that was critical of the racism, rape reporting, and other failures of the criminal justice system rather than be glorifying propaganda would be hella sick. I hope Ready Or Not delves into some of it.

Trolling?
Cancel culture really needs to disappear.
Isn't that ironic because they're creating and profiting off of consumer electronic software? Game should be free if they want to follow the communist model.
Trolling.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I mean, people had a hard time with Spider-Man cooperating with the Police so I don't even wanna think of how people would react to another game where you actually play as one.
Lol was just about to say this. If a hero helping and cooperating with police was a big problem then playing as an actual cop would break some people.

I remember playing Streets of LA and Streets of NY, thought they were pretty good. Streets of NY leaning more into being a cop because I could remember you stopping people and giving em tickets or something.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never played This Is The Police but I hear from reviews it went into the ugly side of cops or how you're incentivised to be a bad cop?

Slyrelishman

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive rhetoric regarding systemic oppression in policing; prior severe ban and account in junior phase
A modern cop game that was critical of the racism, rape reporting, and other failures of the criminal justice system rather than be glorifying propaganda would be hella sick. I hope Ready Or Not delves into some of it.

Trolling?

Trolling.

Absolutely not trolling. To assume that cops are bloody thirsty monsters that thrive on ending or ruining lives is extremely narrow minded.

The reality is the majority of them simply want to make their cities a safe place for themselves, their family, friends and simply fellow people.

Are there a few bad apples that get joy out of beating someone up? Sure. But definitely not the majority of them by any measure.

Wake up.

Oct 29, 2017
I think you're all forgetting the best modern cop game:

51JR6nMVsHL._AC_SY445_.jpg

I guess developers have a hard time coming up with something compelling, where you're not shooting people in the face every 5 seconds. I mean, if cop shows can work on TV, they can work as a games, despite cops having a bad reputation many places in the world. Maybe a modern take on L.A. Noir!?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Sounds like a game I'd love to play. As a former sex crimes prosecutor, I'd love to see more detective or "realistic" procedural games. I know PC had a few Law & Order: SVU games, but they weren't highly regarded. The closest we got was Phoenix Wright, which was admittedly amazing, but certainly not realistic (and yeah, that's a "cop game," kind of.)

I wouldn't necessarily be interested in a reverse GTA simulator, but the idea of gathering clues to solve crimes while having some overarching theme or plot progress in the background sounds fantastic, especially if there were branching paths.

I'd just want the "order" part added to the "law" part.

doink doink

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
police stories is pretty bitchin. got shouted down here though (no comment on whether "rightfully so" or not on my end)

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I never played This Is The Police but I hear from reviews it went into the ugly side of cops or how you're incentivised to be a bad cop?

I own it but haven't played too much of it.

The idea is that you are an aged police chief who needs to save up a million for retirement. Problem is playing by the rules and doing the right thing don't reward you as much as being a corrupt PoS.

It's almost impossible to make that much money by locking up violent criminals and gang leaders. Plus the mayor you report to is extremely corrupt and demands you to act like his personal army.