• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Didn't take long for this thread to turn into COP BAD YIKES A RONI AND CHEESE
Turns out people hate cops. (For valid reasons)

Personally, I don't like playing as a cop myself, and wish games like Astral Chain WEREN'T cop games, I'd like there to be less.

Being a PI instead of a detective is more interesting in general since you don't really answer to anyone as well.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny people are saying you cant make a Cop game because cops are corrupt and violent but find no issue with GTA lol

The real reason is to make most shooters fun, you need a high body count. Something which would feel very wrong given you're suppose to be a cop, not a mercenary.

If you made it a detective game with some shooty bits... That is something we definitely should see more of. Think LA Noire with more puzzle solving.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Do you have any examples of "a group of guys hanging out in an area"? I played a lot of Spider-man and from I what I remember pretty much everyone you fight is committing a crime.

I was being hyperbolic. Wrongly so I admit.

But I do feel Spidermans response to a lot of the crimes these people are committing is somewhat disproportionate.

Then you haven't played Astral Chain with its "physically beat and restrain Street Artists" Gameplay.

You also straight up play as a police man/woman and use enslaved creatures to fight for you in battle which in itself is never questioned by the story.

If I remember right you can non-violently chain up criminals that aren't attacking you.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I was being hyperbolic. Wrongly so I suppose.

But I do feel Spidermans response to a lot of the crimes these people are committing is somewhat disproportionate.

If I remember right you can non-violently chain up criminals that aren't attacking you.

Problem is that people that are just spraying are classified as criminals that have to be taken care of with force without any kind of reflection.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Ahem!
LEGO-City-Undercover

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Problem is that people that are just spraying are classified as criminals that have to be taken care of with force without any kind of reflection.

I mean, Graffiti is a crime though. Its not like you just see them committing graffiti and open fire, you gotta use the monster to chain them up and take them down to the station.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
"Rookie cop who must go rogue and take down his corrupt precinct" is a better sell than "cop simulator".

Serpico: The Game, with the 60s-70s setting to boot, would be the best possible option for a cop game. Something with focus on dialogue and grander decisions as opposed to reactive action-focused gameplay like combat. Sounds like Disco Elysium's approach would work well.

otherwise, you end up with either a completely straight-laced boring law enforcement equivalent of Farming Simulator-type experiences, or something that's actually action-packed, but inevitably glorifies terrible aspects of police. For a straight-up action game, a setting with relatively fantastical factions/motivations would be best, like John Wick, if sensitive subject matters are a concern

viral

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory false equivalence surrounding racism
So because there are examples of cops being racist/violent/general shitheads, we now hate every single cop on the planet? Doesn't sound much different than racism.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Then you haven't played Astral Chain with its "physically beat and restrain Street Artists" Gameplay.

You also straight up play as a police man/woman and use enslaved creatures to fight for you in battle which in itself is never questioned by the story.

You tie them up in a chain and they fall to the ground harmlessly.

Also the story doesn't hesitate to imply what happened to your character was inhumane.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So because there are examples of cops being racist/violent/general shitheads, we now hate every single cop on the planet? Doesn't sound much different than racism.

Yeah all those poor cops that were born cops and are at the fringes of society battling oppression from, huh, *checks notes non cops.

Apr 21, 2018
You play as a cop in Astral Chain and we still had threads here about whether that was problematic.

Police aren't glorified anymore given far too many abuses of power and incidents causing innocent death. A police officer needs to more-or-less justify applied force and using their firearm. I just don't know how that would work in a game. Even if you bust into a room full of drug dealers, you can't really just shoot them up without it being problematic. Throw in race, innocent NPCs, and meme-culture, and you've got a potential disaster on your hands. Unless it was a cop fighting off aliens, I just don't see it.

Max Payne 3 kind of feels like an undercover private investigator cop game. Max Payne 3 was so damn good.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About a game
That doesn't exist
That no one said would honor the organization

If the game doesn't exist it isn't about anything. It's also about everything because we're discussing possibilities. You want to talk about the possibility of a cop game without having people discuss cops. It's like asking for a game where you play as a terrorist and then be surprised that people say terrorism is bad.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Society literally needs the power to enforce law to exist, unless you want to rewrite 3 millenniums of philosophy. Also the correct term is "civil society", not "police state".

Ah yes I forgot the police existed in literally all of recorded history and society.

The implication that the existence of police makes society civil is a laugh and a half though.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's obvious why many wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of a "cop game". So let's not attack each other over this.

---

Personally I'm down for more detective games. The Sherlock Holmes games were fun, I'm sure there's a way to make a "modern" version too (though, personally, I tend to prefer historical settings over modern ones).

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could easily make a AAA third person, story driven, cinematic action/adventure filled with action set pieces, "cop game" and it wouldn't be controversial at all.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like an obvious gamey scenario, be a good cop, bad cop, SWAT, gang unit etc.

we have ENDLESS military shooters, yet I can't think of any AAA cop games.
Last I can remember was that battlefield game, but it was so janky and why the duck was it a Battlefield game? Should've just been a new IP

It should be like GTA, but you play as a modern cop where you go around covering for your crooked comrades, juking stats for corrupt politicians, murdering minorities and harassing working class people and if you get caught, you get desk duty.

I'd play the fuck out of this game if it was honest satire with a hint of social commentary... like an over the top "the wire"

Last edited:

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes I forgot the police existed in literally all of recorded history and society.

The implication that the existence of police makes society civil is a laugh and a half though.
- I wholly agree with the bolded statement, but it's as laughable as the implication that ALL cops are corrupt PoS. And that's coming from someone who has faced racial profiling quite a few times in his life. Do I trust police? It's hard for me to. Do I think they're all terrible human beings because of the actions of some of their colleagues? No. Make no mistake, I'm not defending the system, but I think statements like "ACAB" are just potshots that don't actually bring meaningful dialogue to the problem.

EDIT: As for the OP, I think the idea of a full-blown cop game would face a lot of opposition (as you can see in this thread alone) and may not sell well.