• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
HUH?!?

how does me wanting a cop game mean I don't think cops abuse their power?
I'm not saying the game needs to be "Order of the Police Fraternity" sponsored or developed

Yo, or everything on this site has to be a class or ethics war
What did you think was going to happen as soon as you put the word 'cop' in the thread title?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
After watching TV dramas like The Shield, The Wire and Southland it really made me want a good Rockstar style single player cinematic experience playing as a cop. There are a few modern games, like Sleeping Dogs, LA Noire and This is the Police, but overall it's really odd that there are so many Shows & Movies and so few games :(

Oct 27, 2017
I think most Quantic Dream games have at least one character that's a policeman...

Diesel%2Fproductv2%2Fdetroit-become-human%2Fhome%2FDetroit_PC_Carousel-1920x1080-6e90610a5d314ce0c12860770cc38c1b23213000.jpg

Detroit : Become Human does the android-robo-cop thing really well. Hank is great, too. Awesome story.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
You want a beat cop having set pieces from MI, F&F, or John Wick, but you also opine that too many games are fantastical. Hmm.

There is no reasonable or marketable way to have a good "good cop" game.
Fantastical in like the way Metal Gear Solid is, or Far Cry 5

the whole game wouldn't be setpieces of course, it would probably be an open world game with branching paths, get in with the bad cops, or do your own thing and be on defense position from criminals and bad cops.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
After watching TV dramas like The Shield, The Wire and Southland it really made me want a good Rockstar style single player cinematic experience playing as a cop. There are a few modern games, like Sleeping Dogs, LA Noire and This is the Police, but overall it's really odd that there are so many Shows & Movies and so few games :(
You should watch Bosch too, great show

and yea, there's 2 possible games id like, the linear game in which we have a more focused storyline, or the open world choices game in which you can be any sort of cop you want

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching all of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and I'd def play a game about modern day detectives

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Certainly not any civil discourse on the actual topic, around here, sadly.
Idk why people are reading this as: "COPS ARE AWESOME AND THERE SHOULD BE A VIDEOGAME TO CELEBRATE THEM"

im literally just talking about how muchpotential there is for A cop game with deep mechanics. Story, gameplay, branching decisions, it's literally effect to be gamified

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

I would like that too. Also a game about the police does not have to be about American police. We generally like our cops just fine over here in Finland. They mainly spend their days taking people to either jail or home when they are too drunk on Friday/Saturday evenings. Not sure if that would turn into a very exciting game though...

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns around systemic issues with policing
Idk why people are reading this as: "COPS ARE AWESOME AND THERE SHOULD BE A VIDEOGAME TO CELEBRATE THEM"

im literally just talking about how muchpotential there is for A cop game with deep mechanics. Story, gameplay, branching decisions, it's literally effect to be gamified

sorry, don't have time for that, just need to tell people how much I hate cops!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Really wish Disco Elysium would come to Switch. Seems like the kind of game I could sink hours into if it was portable.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Making a self aware game about police filing paper work, racial profiling, and generally harassing poor people would be an interesting project that could give a lot of social commentary on the state of modern policing institutions. But I imagine any real big cop game would be a michael bay bad boys take and honestly thats the last thing we need with regards to how we portray them.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Not many people really like cops.

Now a DETECTIVE, I would be down with. Where's that LA Noire sequel? 🤔

Dead and buried with Team Bondi. The former studio head was supposedly working on a spiritual successor after Team Bondi died.

Astral chain is also a pretty good cop game besides all over the top maniacal stuff that happens

Astral Chain isn't much of a cop game. It's more of a super hero game but you're in a cop uniform

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Making a self aware game about police filing paper work, racial profiling, and generally harassing poor people would be an interesting project that could give a lot of social commentary on the state of modern policing institutions. But I imagine any real big cop game would be a michael bay bad boys take and honestly thats the last thing we need with regards to how we portray them.
Or it could be a game that doesn't ignore those things? Maybe a major game decision could be, choosing to be part of the blue shield, or being more of a rogue loner cop

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as a big Spider-Man fan, I think that's a different situation because Spider-Man is traditionally positioned as an outsider to the system - both the press and police don't trust him. Having him work with a cop, and use surveillance technology to that end, just felt like a betrayal of a lot of the character's core ethos. It's not just working with a cop, it's that it contradicts the character.

Oh yeah, I totally agree about the surveillance stuff. But Spidey has been known to work together with cops since the beginning of the comics. From DeWolfe or Captain Stacy to more recent examples like Watanabe or Shari Sebbens.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Spiderman PS4 is the most pro-police piece of media I've ever experienced in my life.

At least other cop video games have the criminals actually commit crimes or shoot at people before you attack them. Spiderman just senses a group of guys hanging out in an area and proceeds to assault them all.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Man who remembers that low-scoring Astral Chain review in which some guy projected problematic American police onto the generally more competent world police and criticised the game for not touching on "Japan's ongoing huge discussion on the role of policing"? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

That's probably why OP, lots of conservative and libertarian gamers who flip their shit at "the cops".

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
rainbow six siege is huge
some of last years best games had a cop as protagonist, disco Elysium, astral chain and resident evil 2

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man who remembers that Astral Chain review in which some guy projected American police onto world police and criticised it for not touching on "Japan's ongoing huge discussion on the role of policing"? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

That's probably why OP, lots of conservative and libertarian gamers who flip their shit at "the cops".

I dont know how to tell you this but conservatives love cops

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
rainbow six siege is huge
some of last years best games had a cop as protagonist, disco Elysium, astral chain and resident evil 2
Rainbow had no campaign tho
Disco Elysian is on my "to play of it comes to playstation" list
Idk wtf astral chain is
Resident evil is about zombies lol

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman PS4 is the most pro-police piece of media I've ever experienced in my life.

At least other cop video games have the criminals actually commit crimes or shoot at people before you attack them. Spiderman just senses a group of guys hanging out in an area and proceeds to assault them all.
Lol what? They do armed bank robberies, car chases with guns, drug deals..... none of what you said is true.

i liked la noire... if it was set modern it would of been 100x better... a uk modern police game would be cool

Nov 17, 2019

Do you have any examples of "a group of guys hanging out in an area"? I played a lot of Spider-man and from I what I remember pretty much everyone you fight is committing a crime.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Dead and buried with Team Bondi. The former studio head was supposedly working on a spiritual successor after Team Bondi died.
Damn, I really enjoyed that game. Does Rockstar own the IP though? Couldn't they get someone else to do it?
Or it could be a game that doesn't ignore those things? Maybe a major game decision could be, choosing to be part of the blue shield, or being more of a rogue loner cop
"Rookie cop who must go rogue and take down his corrupt precinct" is a better sell than "cop simulator".

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Didn't Trump cut the police budget? In America I thought conservatives loved the military and not the police.

Then again what's the difference in America LOL
What conservatives believe and what they do isn't always the same tho

conservatives are all "blue lives matter"

also, states are generally more responsible for policing than the federal government

Oct 27, 2017
Does Leon in RE2 count lol?

Well, people's views on the police in the U.S. at least seem to be at an all time low, and for good reason in many instances. Err, does Judgment count? He's a private detective haha

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns around systemic issues with policing
Didn't take long for this thread to turn into COP BAD YIKES A RONI AND CHEESE

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Then you haven't played Astral Chain with its "physically beat and restrain Street Artists" Gameplay.

You also straight up play as a police man/woman and use enslaved creatures to fight for you in battle which in itself is never questioned by the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Not really looking forward to a game where you randomly kill black people "for the lulz" then have to make sure your cam is off, you plant the drugs successfully then write the report noting the person was coming right at you so you feared for your life but have to explain how all the bullets got in their back

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Trump cut the police budget? In America I thought conservatives loved the military and not the police.

Then again what's the difference in America LOL

The "Thin Blue Line" is a known racist symbol in the US. It's meant to be a pro-cop thing but anyone who knows better knows what it really is.

WLzHaICH7ETBgNEEPFRMaMhDGbz-YS5Mnes5X9XDj0o.jpg

very common to see on the backs of cars in the US. The icing on top of the white supremacist cake is the use of The Punisher logo in tandem.