• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a casual Star Wars watcher and have seen the recent 2 films and didn't mind them honestly but I see so much hate and vitrol towards them. I was curious, just what is so wrong with these movies that so many people despise them?
They shrunk the universe, detracted from if really without managing to break new ground or establish anything new or meaningful that had payoff. In my opinion at least. Basically they kind of just spat on what came before it for no real good reason. Broke many of the universes rules established again for weak plot motivations etc. All while copying the motifs and even some almost exact plotpoints from previous film.

It really should have taken the story of Rey, and made it something entirely on its own. In its own environment. No need for Skywalker's, the legacy, solo etc. That's safe crap that made it boring. It's why I liked Rogue one. It was related yes, but almost entirely its own story and added to the existing universe without trying to overwrite what came before it.

I can't wait for the next series where they get to plot their own path.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Theyre awesome and many people like them. Dont let the vocal minority convince you otherwise.

Having a woman be the main character is a legitimate issue with -some- people, Ive had to listen, in real life, complaints that Rey shouldn't be powerful because a woman cant beat up a man irl.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not that hated by the majority of fans.
But some hate it just because of a female lead and too much diversity (not on here, mind you).

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017

Don't generalize, I personally know a lot of people (including myself, actually) who like Rogue One for the rest of the movie and not because it has 'Vader fucking shit up at the end'. In fact, I though the Vader stuff was the most contrived fan service ever and that the movie could've easily done without it. It was the rest of the movie where it's strength lay IMO.

I didn't say nobody likes that movie (I don't like it, but I am not everybody), I did say that nobody really hates that movie in the same way some people hate TLJ tho and I think this is because RO didn't mess with any of the old heroes, that short scene at the end was enough for a lot of people to say "Vader was awesome here", would they have messed around with Vader or another of the old heroes the movie might have gotten a similar treatment from some people. It's not a good comparison of course as RO isn't doing anything interesting or new because it just tells how the rebels got the death star plans, so it was never really in danger of that in the same way the sequel trilogy is.

Edit: I'm trying to draw a distinction between "meh" and not really caring abut something and actual hate towards something!

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Having a woman be the main character is a legitimate issue with -some- people, Ive had to listen, in real life, complaints that Rey shouldn't be powerful because a woman cant beat up a man irl.

I don't know why this statement is repeated so many times even though it is clearly untrue. I've never seen any criticism posted on this forum that ever complained about Rey in that way. If I am wrong, can you find me an example?

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
They aren't though? Almost everyone I know either enjoys them and is excited for each new one or is just indifferent.

The only people I know who have strong negative opinions about them are a couple of guys who, guess what, spend a lot of time on the internet. And their arguments as for why are so obviously regurgitated from YouTube/Reddit.

Yeh pretty much. Everyone I know loves the movies.
But once you jump on the internet, it seems that it is wrong to like the movie.

People are mocking it when they say that even episode 1-3 are better than these sequels 😂

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why this statement is repeated so many times even though it is clearly untrue. I've never seen any criticism posted on this forum that ever complained about Rey or her being too powerful or whatever. If I am wrong, can you find me an example?
It was more prevalent when TFA came out, but I've definitely seen it on the old forum and especially on YouTube. I'm sure it's been posted here too at some point.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its like, wow dude if your issues start THERE no wonder you hate the whole fucking thing. By the time you get to Rose (who I love) you're gonna be foaming at the mouth when she dares tell your main male characters that perhaps they're idiots.
I don't know why this statement is repeated so many times even though it is clearly untrue. I've never seen any criticism posted on this forum that ever complained about Rey or her being too powerful or whatever. If I am wrong, can you find me an example?

Twice, in that post, I said it happened in real life. Not Era

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
TFA managed to simultaneously do too much and too little and shouldn't have relegated certain details to be explained in the novelization and other things should've been saved for showing up in the second and resolved in the third instead of crimping so hard on the original Star Wars (IMO Super, Mega Deathstar 3.0 and blowing up the Republic should've been saved for the second movie if they actually took time to really map this out) but it was over all an audience pleaser that made a fuckton of money so. *Shrug* Maybe done more TPM but better than so much ANH.

TLJ was bloated and did too much different (and some of it not so good) along with kind of doing Luke and audiences who waited over 30 years to see him again outside the EU dirty with a total shit job of selling his despair, like I was fine with his sacrifice but still was like "that's it?" Felt like something again something that should've been saved for the third movie not that it matters with Force Ghosts and all that. So now in response to it JJ is going to turn the fanservice up to 11 with TRoS.

Solo was still an answer for questions nobody aside from Kasdan asked.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
If TROS does wel, the ST is going to be one of the most critically acclaimed and financial successful trilogies ever made.

When the time comes, I hope somebody will make that thread on ERA.

The salt will be AMAZING.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If TROS does wel, the ST is going to be one of the most critically acclaimed and financial successful trilogies ever made.

When the time comes, I hope somebody will make that thread on ERA.

The salt will be AMAZING.
The responses will just be "yeah well the critics are just paid shills that like anything disney puts out."

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate them, but there are valid criticisms of both films for different reasons.

The first film (which I enjoy) didn't take enough risks for some people. It was still shackled to the skywalker's and Solos and ended with a big doomsday weapon. It was a super fun, but super shallow film.

The second film is, in my view, pretty bad. It is a film that has poor character development, shits all over legacy (I now it is ironic given what I said before) and is simply poorly directed. The film has like five endings and was too long.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a casual Star Wars watcher and have seen the recent 2 films and didn't mind them honestly but I see so much hate and vitrol towards them. I was curious, just what is so wrong with these movies that so many people despise them?
-Because 7 is basically a remake of a 40 year old movie, and 8 is such an incoherent mess of a movie that people gave up hope on 9.
-The fact Disney wasted so much potential with this franchise

The prequels are a much, much better trilogy.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-Because 7 is basically a remake of a 40 year old movie, and 8 is such an incoherent mess of a movie that people gave up hope on 9.
-The fact Disney wasted so much potential with this franchise

The prequels are a much, much better trilogy.

The prequels are shit. This trilogy is a 7/10 type of thing, not the most spectacular thing ever, but at least its competent and doesn't feel like it was a cartoon written for little kiddies.

TFA isn't a "remake" either, it follows some story beats of ANH, but of other Star Wars films too. It's Star Wars, do you want to see a Rocky movie about figure skating? A Godfather film about a doctor? An Avengers film that isn't about trying to defeat some super villain?

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
7 was alright. I was all-in when they kept the ball rolling with rogue one. Then 8 came along and it was such a momentum killer. Didn't bother with solo. I feel no motivation to watch the last one. Just don't care any more. I'm done. Peace out, star wars. It's been fun. Good luck with the last movie or whatever.

At least i still got the originals. Those aren't going anywhere

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
The only main issue I have with the new trilogy is that everything just feels pointless, TLJ threw out most stuff set up in TFA, and ROS seems to be doing the same with TLJ. So it just feels like it's being made up and slapped together with no real goal, for all the hate the prequels got they at least had a clear target in mind and were constantly going towards it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only main issue I have with the new trilogy is that everything just feels pointless, TLJ threw out most stuff set up in TFA, and ROS seems to be doing the same with TLJ. So it just feels like it's being made up and slapped together with no real goal, for all the hate the prequels got they at least had a clear target in mind and were constantly going towards it.

Yeah having fart jokes and Jar Jar step into shit and the lamest romance in modern cinema history sure set up to the clear target of Anakin's dramatic transition to the dark side ... which really got shoved into like 5 minutes of screen time (lol).

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I liked The Force Awakens and i understand why it needs to be familiar and nostalgic w/c is to serve as a re-introduction to OT fans. The Last Jedi though gives me the same vibes as watching Season 2 of Westworld. It seems to be trying so hard to undermine viewer expectations that along the way, the plot and story feels nonsensical.

Solo, i did not watch. Rogue One is easily my favourite Disney Star Wars movie. Felt bad losing those characters.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
The prequels are shit. This trilogy is a 7/10 type of thing, not the most spectacular thing ever, but at least its competent and doesn't feel like it was a cartoon written for little kiddies.

TFA isn't a "remake" either, it follows some story beats of ANH, but of other Star Wars films too. It's Star Wars, do you want to see a Rocky movie about figure skating? A Godfather film about a doctor? An Avengers film that isn't about trying to defeat some super villain?
There is no single monolithic thing that makes Star Wars the IP, all 3 original movies were different from each other. I dont wanna see a Godfather Part 4 with Michael Corleone as Don Vito and basically restarting Part 1. 7 is a safe and boring remake of 4 in all but name, with new names etc. It's basically another victim of Hollywood remaking old classics, but in this case it was disguised as a new entry, and nerds were okay with it because "well they need to acclimate a new generation to SW so it's ok, 8 will be much better and grand!". And then 8 comes out and it's such a mess, to say the prequels are better is an understatement. 8 is legit one of the worst scifi movies I've ever seen.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "I didn't like the last movie so I'm done!!!!" hysteria though to me is kinda overblown though.

Every media franchise is gonna have some ups and downs, even Marvel ... Thor 2 was shit, Iron Man 2 was kinda shit, Avengers Age of Ultron was a bore. Personally I thought Civil War was a bit of a mess too.

Anyone yelling from top of rooftops that they're done because one movie was made recently that they didn't like? It seems like hyper-internet entitlement to me.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no single monolithic thing that makes Star Wars the IP, all 3 original movies were different from each other. I dont wanna see a Godfather Part 4 with Michael Corleone as Don Vito and basically restarting Part 1. 7 is a safe and boring remake of 4 in all but name, with new names etc. It's basically another victim of Hollywood remaking old classics, but in this case it was disguised as a new entry, and nerds were okay with it because "well they need to acclimate a new generation to SW so it's ok, 8 will be much better and grand!". And then 8 comes out and it's such a mess, to say the prequels are better is an understatement. 8 is legit one of the worst scifi movies I've ever seen.

Not really even by ROTJ they were returning to motifs from ANH already, like going back to Tatooine and having the film start with 3PO and R2D2 again, end with a giant Death Star run, etc. etc.

That's just establishing the formula of the Star Wars genre. If I'm going to see PART SEVEN of anything I know generally speaking there's going to be a bit of a formula established by that point. The next Fast & Furious movie (GASP!!!) is probably going to have some car racing sequences in it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, to me, for now and despite their flaws, the Sequels are still better than the Prequels.

But i'm one of those heathens that liked TLJ (apart from the Canto useless side quest), so that might be why.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
The original movies were so revered that no matter how good the new films could've been, they would've still fallen wildly below people's expectations. The biggest problem with drinking from the fountain of pop culture nostalgia is you're almost certainly and inevitably poisoning the well. Didn't help that they also obliterated all prior canon from the EU.

I don't think the new movies are THAT bad but honestly I've never been a huge star wars fan. I'd rather play battlefront 2 than ever watch another SW movie lol.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Most people loved TFA. I think honestly the biggest flaw of Last Jedi was killing off Luke without us seeing him being a badass for an entire movie like we got for Han. People are gonna make other excuses but I think if Luke was a badass for 90 minutes instead of 5, everyone would be fine with it.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moi8Rpr.jpg

Most people loved TFA. I think honestly the biggest flaw of Last Jedi was killing off Like without us seeing him being a bad ass for an entire movie like we got for Han
Was Han that much of a badass in TFA ? He shot some guns but eh

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Most people loved TFA. I think honestly the biggest flaw of Last Jedi was killing off Like without us seeing him being a bad ass for an entire movie like we got for Han
I think wanting Luke to be a badass during the ST is understandable but..

Flawed characters are so much more interesting to me. Luke had a wonderful arc in TLJ.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed TFA but TLJ was too long (or felt like it) and the plot lines for Finn and Poe didn't work for me. Loved the stuff with Luke/Rey/Kylo but the rest of the movie just dragged.

That said, hate is a strong word. But I think they didn't live up to their potential.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only some people truly hate the new movies.

A vocal minority is upset because women and non-whites are front and center this time around but for most it wasn't as hype as they'd hoped for.

Star Wars is a big deal for many and if new movies are "just" ok/good people are dissapointed.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I can sort of see whare the dislike comes from, but some of it comes off a bit hyperbolic. For example, I honestly can't see how someone could see the PT is better. But of course, to each their own :)

I really liked TFA. I thought it repeating beats from ANH was perhaps a bit lazy, but also a sort of hommage. And, contrary to all the prequel movies, which I think are horrible (though Revenge of the Sith slightly less so), is just a well made movie. Suspenseful, beautifully shot, interesting characters that make sense, a female lead, cool battles, nostalgic. There's some stuff to nitpick, but you can do that with every movie, and ESPECIALLY with every Star Wars movie.

I loved TLJ. It has bigger flaws. The 'chase' setting isn't really thrilling, the Canto Bight part isn't the most interesting thing in the world, and some of its themes are presented a bit unclear. But the themes are explored mucht better than in other Star Wars films. And it does SO much more interesting things with its characters than TFA. At first I was disappointed Luke wasn't the bad ass I hoped he'd be. But what he was here, and how he dealt with his failure is much more interesting. The relationship with Kylo Ren and Rey, and their shared, though different, doubts about who they are really worked. Kylo's struggles with the light and dark side is what Anakins transformation in the PT should've been like.

The two movies feel really different from each other, yet they are still part of one trilogy. I can understand complaints about incoherency, and I agree, there is some. But I don't care, two different, awesome movies in one to be trilogy. I understand complaints about the original heroes deserving peace after their hard fought battles. But what happened in these two films was interesting enough for me. The only thing I sort of dislike is the New Order just being the Empire 2.0. The could've come up with something better than that. But again, both films did enough right that I don't really care about it.

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I don't HATE them, but it doesn't get me excited the way other franchises I love do.

Force Awakens was a fun movie, but brought nothing new to the table. Not a bad thing necessarily.

TLJ felt like treading water, and didn't feel like it told an "essential" story in the trilogy (outside of Luke's death).

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Yeah having fart jokes and Jar Jar step into shit and the lamest romance in modern cinema history sure set up to the clear target of Anakin's dramatic transition to the dark side ... which really got shoved into like 5 minutes of screen time (lol).
I didn't say it did it well, but the goal was there, to show the transition of a young Anakin to Darth Vader, and the downfall of the Jedi. The sequel trilogy so far feels like a big ehh in terms of direction, and that's pretty sad really.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
They're fairly normal movies, but Disney has artificially made them huge through branding and promotion.

Of course a lot of people don't like them. Way more people than would normally go see a standard sci fi action film like these are seeing them. And of course everyone's opinions need to be scrutinised, because Star Wars is an event now I guess.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They add nothing new to the formula and make that galaxy feel really, really small.

While the trilogy is progressive in terms of characters is disgustingly conservative in regards to writing and film-making.

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
The story has been dragged out for too long. It had a happy ending with ROTJ. There was no need for these sequels other than making money.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to put my finger on. I had a decent time watching Force Awakens with friends with my brain off but I don't remember much about it honestly. Last Jedi was quite disjointed and random.

But for me I think it's just down to kind of bland look/world with little sense of wonder compared to the original movies, or stuff like the Kotor games (even the prequils had their own neat unfamiliar alien feel) and it doesn't really add anything intriguing to the lore. It's the same way I felt about the new Star Trek movies, maybe it's a JJ Abrams thing. Plus the couple characters I thought were actually intriguing and charismatic got any inerest thrown away (Finn).

Did really like Rogue One though. Even bought a little K2-SO figure.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Most of the hate stems from racists and sexists, who can't stand seeing women and people of colour as the faces of their beloved franchise. That goes for in front and behind the cameras. Because the producer being female grinds their gears too.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
People grew up with Luke, Han and Leia. Han got divorced, regressed from his character arc in the original trilogy and died as a complete failure as a parent by the hand of his own son. Luke became a sad, lonely, jaded exile after having thoughts about killing his own nephew, let the galaxy be overrun by the First Order while he ran away, refused to help Rey and died a meaningless death, sad and alone. Leia as a general was incapable of halting the First Order's advance, the resistance was almost wiped out under her leadership, her marriage fell apart and her son became a mass murderer. Meanwhile, the only interesting character that the new trilogy introduced, with an actually compelling backstory, Finn, was reduced to a side character and comic relief. I don't think it's that strange that many people hate the new movies.