• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because the German PS store is bad.
For games like CoD war zone you also have to pay 25 cents.
Also every demo with an age 16 or higher needs ps plus.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It's that, or making it PS Plus only for age verification.

Sony doesn't require you to prove your identity when registering an account, which becomes a problem in Germany.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I dowloaded it for free the day it got released. It's now 25 euro cents? That's weird. All demos i downloaded from the german store where free

Edit: Just read the PS Plus comment, expains it now

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's that, or making it PS Plus only for age verification.

Sony doesn't require you to prove your identity when registering an account, which becomes a problem in Germany.
Which console manufacturer requires an age verification? Sony requires your id data for buying stuff with an age rating from 16 to 18.

Feb 5, 2020
Germany is weirdly strict about PSN. I think it's because for some reason they only want you making a PSN account if you are 18+ but since there's no way of making sure you actually are they put all this dumb shit in place to "verify" it.

Those PSN gift cards you can buy at stores are all 18+ while Steam, Xbox and E-Shop gift cards all don't have any age restriction (probably because they allow users who are 13 or older to get accounts unlike PSN).

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an old problem for many publishers also.

For a long time some publishers cut content/gore/etc. out of their games because of their impression of German law. Other publishers had no problem with not cutting the exact same stuff in their games and never had trouble with the law because of it.

Sony is doing more than needed because they think it's safer for them. No German law demands what they're doing. Ms, Nintendo, steam, epic, Ubisoft, ea ,etc. all aren't doing that. And magically the law doesn't hunt them down...

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
In Japan, any PS plus game that is free everywhere else, but is 18+, you actually have to pay 100 yen. Same thing.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I think they can't give things 16+ because of a country law.

Definitely not true, otherwise AC2 would not be free on German Uplay right now. Truth is that PSN is just pretty clunky when it comes to certain things, so they hide demos behind purchases or PS Plus as a weird age check mechanism.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan does the same thing iirc, for the mature games, Cero D or maybe just Z, you need a credit card linked to your account to buy or something on Japanese PSNI believe.

Just CERO Z. It's treated like Adult titles, which require verification before purchasing (this is a legal issue, more-so). A through D, to my knowledge, are unrestricted, as well as stores (I think I've heard some stores being cautious about the D rating, but it's not required to be restricted, and some have advertised not restricting anything besides the Z rating).

Speaking of the Z rating, I'm still amazed that the inFamous series is rated Z. It's been theorized it's due to the morality system, which also caused Jak 2 to get censored in Japan (you can't kill civilians to receive dark eco and stuff, they just fall over and get back up). Only thing that makes sense what caused the rating to sky rocket...

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, how are the child safety features for this on the other systems?
On switch if the parental feature is activated, you can choose if your child is allowed to play games up to a certain age rating.
Let's say, they are allowed to play games aged from 0-12. That way they can't start a game with higher age restriction (I think they even can't see those games on the eShop).
Also online functions like the eShop can be deactivated on an child account.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Right here: https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP0082-CUSA07235_00-FFVIIRDEMOGERMAN

Yeah I have other accounts to download the demo but why charging for demos now? Between this and not being able to download FSK-18 games without a PS+ sub, German PS-Store continues to be a shitty digital store.
I downloaded it at its release for free, so ... I don't know what's up with them charging for it all of a sudden.

E: I'm PS+ member as well, though.

Deleted member 44122

its a form of age check. years ago you needed a ps+ subscription for free demos and betas, now you need to pay a nominal fee. that only applies to games rated 16+ and 18+

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
On switch if the parental feature is activated, you can choose if your child is allowed to play games up to a certain age rating.
Let's say, they are allowed to play games aged from 0-12. That way they can't start a game with higher age restriction (I think they even can't see those games on the eShop).
Also online functions like the eShop can be deactivated on an child account.
Ah ok, like that, i thought maybe it was some own settings just for the online store :)The PS3, PS4 and PS Vita also have parental control that allows you to choose if an account can only access games with a certain age limit. I dont think its possible to disable access to the PS Store however (i think you can only disable access to the web browser), although its possible to have a password requirement at checkout on the PS Store, and i think that applies to free stuff too, but i'm not sure.