• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man, it's pretty good, but all I know is that St. Louis style pizza is straight up garbanzo beans. Who likes it? Who wants their pizza with dry, smelly cheese on it? Nobody knows.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
The title is a lie...

NY style pizza is the best pizza (and actually is a pizza and not a bread bowl with cheese and sauce)

ThePsydeFX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Taurus Flavors hoagies,

noah.png

As a South/East Chicago native, I don't recall ever having deep dish until my late teens-early 20s. Was pretty much always loyal to Capri Pizza.

Nowadays, deep dish is usually only had 1-2 times a year and everybody I know is partial to the superior Chicago thin/mid crust.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
This is blasphemous. Coming from someone who lived in Chicago, deep dish is a complete disgrace. More casserole than pizza - feels like some French's onion crisps should be sprinkled on top. Ugh. NY and East Coast pizza in general are the true GOATs, with Detroit style coming in second.

Honestly, everyone in here should just watch this TDS bit on Chicago pizza.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lived in Chicago for the better part of a decade. Adore pizza.

Can't stand deep dish.

Just too much crust and crap on top. Makes it impossible to actually enjoy your meal because of how much of it there is.

I've tried all of the big names, and none of them have worked for me. Just not my style of pizza.

JoeG

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago deep dish is closer to lasagna than pizza. (Go ahead and blast me) I love both but never get hungry for deep dish when I have a pizza craving.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Deep dish is awesome. A buddy and mine and his gf are coming to Chicago to visit next weekend and they specifically requested deep dish. Going to Pequods!

Caramalized is such a funny word it's basically a rly polite way of saying burnt

Nope, low and slow. No burnt onions.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I would love it because I love those mini frozen "deep dish" pizzas:

img-products-single-deep-dish-supreme_324.jpg

My wife and I went to a restaurant in L.A. that apparently had excellent, genuine deep dish pizza, and I still don't understand what the fuck that was. It's way too much tomato sauce with a giant layer of meat put into a bread bowl. The crust was fucking amazing, so it wasn't a total loss, but it was honestly baffling. You could argue it was L.A. and not Chicago, but it looks the same on pictures I see on the Internet. The worst thing about it isn't that it doesn't even qualify as a pizza, it's that it's not even good on its own merits. The balance of ingredients is all fucked.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
As someone who has tried neither, Chicago Pizza makes my mouth water, while New York Pizza looks like it's been left out on the street in Broadway for a few hours.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
It's good. Still of the opinion that it is a tasty casserole than a pizza. Ate it a bunch of times when my sister lived in Chicago.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
OK but all kidding aside, if you like deep dish, ok. But you're wrong.

New Haven style is the only true pizza.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has tried neither, Chicago Pizza makes my mouth water, while New York Pizza looks like it's been left out on the street in Broadway for a few hours.
You are really missing a thing. NYC people are crazy but the island is littered with pizza shops, bakeries, ect. The competition forces people to make the best. Go to nyc, go party, then get a slice at 3am. It can be enjoyed anytime. But it's superb pizza. Even Chicago style is good but I like to troll them because they have an inferiority complex. Sorry, not sorry. I grew up in the Northeast and we can smell their fear.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I didn't even know this was a thing until a frozen Detroit pizza (Outsiders Pizza Company) appeared in the frozen aisle a few months ago. I haven't bought one, but I've recently begun making my own pizza and I thought I'd finally try this style. I used Food Wishes. It turned out excellent and is a pretty foolproof recipe. I bought a specific pan, but it also works great in a cast iron skillet. I just got back from NYC and had great thin and thick crust pizzas, and this was better than both of them. It has a crispy, airy, chewy crust; a high cheese to sauce ratio; crunchy, caramelly, cheese-infused edges and corners; and a convenient shape. It's also far better than Chicago deep dish. And is the best-tasting cold pizza I've ever had!

Detroit-style is best pizza. Anyone who says otherwise ain't know pizza.

20170216-detroit-style-pizza-47.jpg

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Great deep dish is the best. Bad deep dish is incredibly disappointing.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would love it because I love those mini frozen "deep dish" pizzas:

img-products-single-deep-dish-supreme_324.jpg

My wife and I went to a restaurant in L.A. that apparently had excellent, genuine deep dish pizza, and I still don't understand what the fuck that was. It's way too much tomato sauce with a giant layer of meat put into a bread bowl. The crust was fucking amazing, so it wasn't a total loss, but it was honestly baffling. You could argue it was L.A. and not Chicago, but it looks the same on pictures I see on the Internet. The worst thing about it isn't that it doesn't even qualify as a pizza, it's that it's not even good on its own merits. The balance of ingredients is all fucked.

nahh it doesn't matter. "it looks just like it!" makes no sense and LA hardly has any good pizza let alone deep dish. go to Chicago

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I just went to this place called Pizza Studio Tamaki in Tokyo and it was better than anything in Chicago. I do love Chicago pizza though

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I moved to Chicago long time ago and I'll admit I love me some deep dish. But I think my favorite is the tavern-style thin cut into squares. Butter crust if they have it. Mmmm....

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to give another shout out to Detroit style. As far as Chicago style goes, I think I had Giordanos last summer when I was there and it was alright. My Chicago style experience is rather limited. My favorite place for it is pizza papalis which is in Detroit weirdly enough.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nahh it doesn't matter. "it looks just like it!" makes no sense and LA hardly has any good pizza let alone deep dish. go to Chicago

Well, it does, because my biggest gripe with it is the balance of ingredients and they all look like they have way too much sauce. I could go to Chicago and still people would say I went to the one place in town that doesn't do it right. Which place in Chicago?

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Deep dish is good once a year, otherwise give me thin crust! Or stuffed crust :)

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Detroit deep dish pizza is better than Chicago deep dish. Looks better, taste better, is better.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cheuNL3.jpg

I had Peaquod's last month for the very fist time. It was every thing I dreamed of. Great sauce, flavorful caramelized crust, and perfectly cooked toppings. The sausage was to die for. Many places have shit sausage. My family doubted my selection at first, but they all agreed that it was the best deep dish they ever had.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many more threads like this must I barge into and defend the honor of real pizza?

Chicago deep dish pizza STINKS!