• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Within reason...
yhvh.gif

*eye twitch*

I know this map

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I didn't Mad Mage but the dungeons in Rise of Tiamat were so tiring that the DM decided to give a pause and we are focused in a campaign that he created.

Sadly those two dragon books are some of the least popular for good reason. Mad Mage was a lot of fun for me though. Just a big dungeon romp. Sometimes you just want to kill stuff and better yet when a DM really likes to add in puzzles or traps. I love finding ways to get past stuff besides killing.

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
Sadly those two dragon books are some of the least popular for good reason. Mad Mage was a lot of fun for me though. Just a big dungeon romp. Sometimes you just want to kill stuff and better yet when a DM really likes to add in puzzles or traps. I love finding ways to get past stuff besides killing.

Puzzles are fun. Probably Mad Mage would be cool because the focus is the dungeon? And adding puzzles is a nice touch.

But getting back to the OP question...is D&D the source? Or is it a game? Who had the first idea to put a big dungeon in a game? And what game is that? Now I am curious......

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Puzzles are fun. Probably Mad Mage would be cool because the focus is the dungeon? And adding puzzles is a nice touch.

But getting back to the OP question...is D&D the source? Or is it a game? Who had the first idea to put a big dungeon in a game? And what game is that? Now I am curious......

Source I would say. Gygax would make some insane dungeons. I'm sure if people look, they'll find D&D influence in basically any RPG.

But anyway, for me, the better mega dungeons come from first person dungeon crawlers. I'm still hoping for an Etrian Odyssey on Switch.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still thinking of one that I despise. Persona 3 I didn't mind as it was integrated well with its premise/story. The other notorious ones that I know have all been optional.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think it's done best in FFXII: TZA since it's a totally optional mode that's not even part of the story mode.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Because it's a fairly good optional challenge?

Tests of endurance and resource management are perfectly fine. Since these are optional they can be particularly grueling.

Oct 29, 2017
I love them cause they're usually challenges and good loot can often be had. First experienced it way back in a Lufia game on SNES.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It's a cheap way to pad the game. I hate how the reward is always not worth it.

The hardest and longest I remember trying to do was attempting to single run floor 101-200 FFXIV Palace Of The Dead with some random (I'm the random, the 3 other party member are friends). Do mind you can't die or else you'll have to restart from floor 101. Took us like 10 hours or something and due to time difference it started at 12 am in my region ended at 9 am. I remember nodding off multiple times on the keyboard. Unfortunately we all died at floor 198 because we ran out of healing and revive.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
All of these kinds of dungeons are just continuations of the long-lasting legacy of Rogue and the early roguelikes, which were incredibly influential on a great many RPGs, from Diablo to Persona.

Also, sometimes it is fun to just have a massive gauntlet of trials and enemies to challenge yourself with, without having to worry about stories or filler.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
This is pretty much the definition of the roguelike, though. Nethack (the main remake/derivative of the original Rogue) is a crawl through 50 floors of randomized dungeon. Angband, another major example of the genre, is a descent through 100 procedurally generated floors. These are some of the major foundational games of the entire computer RPG genre, and the genre of roguelikes and dungeon crawlers is still a huge and popular one. It isn't surprising to see this style of dungeon appear in other related kinds of RPG.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
No self respecting Demon King is going to settle for anything less.

The other Demon Kings would make fun of him, or her.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The best would be Watcher's Keep in BG2, while only 6 floors, it is still such a great experience with an awesome conclusion.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I thought the New Game+ Chrysler Building dungeon in Parasite Eve was a really well executed take on this concept.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the reasons I don't bother with most JRPGs. Half a million identical floors or dungeons to grind out because they have like 10 hours worth of game that has to be plastered over 150. I value my time more than that.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the Pit of 100 Trials from Paper Mario: TTYD on my first try, and I'm pretty damn proud of that. I don't know if I'd do it again, though. lol
The two Pits of 100 Trials in Super Paper Mario were pretty meh, but that's a fault of the game itself, really.
A few Zelda games had it too. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, right? I don't remember if they were 100 floors, but they had bonus dungeons of that kind that you could challenge.

Can't say I'm a huge fan, but it feels good when you complete them, that's for sure.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Laziness is what it is called. Basically, content that takes zero effort to make. The floors are usually copy and paste, along with the enemies.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Watching a playthrough of FFX-2. But remembered WA: Alter Code F, Tales of Destiny....etc.
FF X-2 100 floor dungeon had to be completed twice for completing the monsters catalog. Well, it was fun that kind of dungeon. The 100 floor or 100 bosses in Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age was not very interesting.

Oct 28, 2017
Can an entire game be considered as a floor?

In Dark Souls 3, I once joined a host game on PC (via password) and the Boss killed me in one shot. I thought it was normal (because I was SL1) because lag may have contributed to me getting killed, because I should have survived at least a single hit.

I messaged the host and the person says "it was NG+47".

So..

Xenor

Jun 1, 2018
I don't like them, Rogue Galaxy had a 100 floor Ghostship and it was really annoying, and you had to do it twice.
Star Ocean 3 had over 200 floors...

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's fun when there's a map. I'm looking at you Great Crystal from FFXII. Not an actual 100 floor dungeon, mind you, but it fucking looked like one with no goddamn map. Fuckers.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The one in Thousand Year Door is sick, and also the only one of these that I had interest in doing since it didn't seem tedious as hell