• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Also, he was pretty fried from his two uses of the gauntlet. The second likely severely weakened him just like it did to the Hulk only more so given what he succeeded in doing.

My question is why was he still wearing the gauntlet afterwards?
It looked like it had fused/melted onto his hand honestly.

Either way I guess after last time they weren't interested in trying to remove it manually...

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
As said above, as presented in the MCU it was more likely Odin and the Asgardians having a stone that kept him at bay.

Very shortly after Odin dies Thanos begins his infinity stone grabbing quest in earnest, and unlike the other stones, he still feels he needs to bring his entire force to get the space stone from the Asgardians, as well as being the only time he attacks a group armoured in IW, and even then only after grabbing the power stone to be sure.

I felt like I was still potentially jumping to conclusions but this really helps confirm my arguement Thanos was wary of Odin.

It's funny through all this the best we can do to figure out Odin's power in the MCU is knowing his floor is above Hela away from Asgard.

At this point I find his passing away to be even more confusing.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is why trying to track power levels in fiction is usually pointless, because in the end it comes down to the writer saying "I want to tell a story that goes like this because I think it would be interesting/good."

Mar 29, 2018
This is why trying to track power levels in fiction is usually pointless, because in the end it comes down to the writer saying "I want to tell a story that goes like this because I think it would be interesting/good."
It's a decision made based on what will push the protagonists more. A plot and/or villain only exists to push and challenge the protagonist(s). You're right that power level is basically arbitrary - a more powerful/capable villain is just so because as protagonists become more powerful they need to be challenged to higher extents.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I felt like I was still potentially jumping to conclusions but this really helps confirm my arguement Thanos was wary of Odin.

It's funny through all this the best we can do to figure out Odin's power in the MCU is knowing his floor is above Hela away from Asgard.

Who said he passed (died). Maybe he ascended beyond a physical shell.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah mcu power levels are extremely messed up and get skewed all the time through the movies.

Captain marvel became more powerful then Thor because the writers wanted her to. She is not on his level in the comics at all.

It's a movie guys, and it was written this way so the ending wasn't 10 seconds long

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh there's no doubt that Odin and Asgard as a whole was a major roadblock for Thanos' plans. It says a lot that, within days of Odin dying, Thanos attacks Nidavellir and Xandar in rapid succession. Then we can assume it took him a few weeks to track down Thor's ship and from there he collected the Stones within a day.

When Thanos attacked Thor's ship, he did so with the same army he attacked Avengers HQ with in Endgame and he made sure to get the Power Gem first. The very fact he sent the Black Order to Earth with one donut each to acquire the other two Infinity Gems on Earth implies he didn't consider it anywhere near as difficult a task as claiming the Space Gem.

Curiously enough, despite his wariness, it seems Thanos still underestimated the Asgardians. He assumed the Power Gem could kill Thor but, from what we've seen, it's nowhere near strong enough.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's a decision made based on what will push the protagonists more. A plot and/or villain only exists to push and challenge the protagonist(s). You're right that power level is basically arbitrary - a more powerful/capable villain is just so because as protagonists become more powerful they need to be challenged to higher extents.

And why the hero usually gets a power-up just as things start getting desperate, because the writer wants the hero to win of course, and it helps fuel the drama of the fight. In better cases you get things like Cap picking up Mjolnir that are informed by character and were set up, in worse cases you get Shonen Power Up #27 where because the hero got really angry or believed in themselves a whole lot they get stronger.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
because the story demanded a long drawn out fight where everyone got to look cool. even moreso than typical superhero stories, the avengers ones and the team up events that inspired them have like zero consistency about that sort of thing.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Thanos is a Titan and half Eternal. They are super strong and resilient.

Also, it's a movie, and drama trumps realism. He was as strong and as weak as he needed to be for maximum dramatic potential. Creative writers try their best to balance the drama and realism, but it's not an easy thing to do sometimes. In Infinity War, the Avengers were at their worst. Splintered and unfocused. In Endgame, they were unified and determined. The writers found ways to handicap them so they wouldn't steamroll Thanos. Thor caught him off guard with Stormbreaker, otherwise, I imagine he'd have whooped his ass too.

Extra also; power levels are stupid. When handled poorly, it sticks out. When handled properly, most viewers that aren't super pedantic and nitpicky can just run with it because the story being told is entertaining them. "Power levels" is just another tool in the writers toolkit when creating stories. Superhero stories can be annoying to write because of it. I try to at least have my heroes win against powerful foes through means beyond just "I hit harder than you, because of POWER LEVELS!" or finding the power of friendship and going Super Saiyan because I've written myself into a corner with an antagonist that is just too strong. Then the next threat has to be even stronger, so they have to power up beyond that threat, then the next threat has to be stronger than that, etc, etc. It's exhausting.