• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They said today that schools will close on Wednesday according to SVT. Is that not correct?

Yes? For kids and healthy young people. That's what people are hoping for/has happened so far. I don't know what kind of source would count as good enough for you. Does this one suffice?
"Reported symptoms in children include cold-like symptoms, such as fever, runny nose, and cough. Vomiting and diarrhea have also been reported."

It's also the same stuff the infected and home quarantined adults are saying here in Sweden. Some report aching in their limbs and such, but nothing major. "Feels like a cold". "Worst thing is how boring it is"

... colds don't usually kill one out of 500 children?

I truly feel like I'm being gaslighted in this thread...

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
The people behind the model the UK is using to justify their approach just proved themselves wrong and are now calling for stronger measures, so that should tell you how good of an idea mitigation instead of harsher measures is.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I don't think we can afford it.

The government just injected 300 billion SEK into the private sector. I also bet you that tons of major Swedish companies have plenty of profits and value that could help as well.

More deaths may be correct, but that scenario would likely make the pandemic last shorter rather than longer

Maybe it would be shorter, maybe it would be longer. The virus still would have to pass through the entire population and kill off a lot of elderly and at-risk groups. Obviously, any sensible person with an ounce of empathy would avoid this type of eugenics strategy. I'm very surprised that Sweden is going through with this, I thought it took care of all social groups like any other welfare society.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
And what about all the experiences in Italy and China? They somehow don't apply to Sweden?
one important structural difference is the average household size. stockholm has among the highest percentage of people living alone in the world. whereas italy is the opposite with multi-generational households being very common. poor young people like students are more likely to live together, but old people are much less likely to live with young people than in italy. it is an important structural difference

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
They said today that schools will close on Wednesday according to SVT. Is that not correct?
Yeah Wednesday. Though apparently if your job is deemed important (like a doctor I guess) and your kid is in 1st - 3rd grade then they will find a way to have some schools open for such cases.
But it's odd that they haven't forced anyone really to close their business. I walked past several gyms today which were still open and some people were inside lifting weights. Pretty much all restaurants and bars were open and some packed.
Then you have some businesses like where my girlfriend works (an office job) which doesn't let their employees do remote work even though she 100% could.

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm swedish and they seem to do a fine job and explaining their reasoning every step of the way.

I'm glad I live in a country where these decisions are based on science and not politics. Of course the alt-right in Sweden is upset though...

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
This Wait and See approach is incredibly dangerous because it says that scenario A of risking a lot more deaths is preferable to scenario B of losing a lot of money, but making sure that the pandemic is more manageable. Ever heard of better safe than sorry?

And what about all the experiences in Italy and China? They somehow don't apply to Sweden?
That's true but it definitely doesn't feel like sweden's been doing nothing. It's far from life as normal even like I said in a city with zero (confirmed) cases. I think locking down stockholm completely would be great though.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm swedish and they seem to do a fine job and explaining their reasoning every step of the way.

I'm glad I live in a country where these decisions are based on science and not politics. Of course the alt-right in Sweden is upset though...

Which countries are on lock down because of politics?

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

Quarantining people doesn't make you alt-right. And scientists and experts and *entire countries* are telling Sweden that they're doing the wrong thing.

one important structural difference is the average household size. stockholm has among the highest percentage of people living alone in the world. whereas italy is the opposite with multi-generational households being very common. poor young people like students are more likely to live together, but old people are much less likely to live with young people than in italy. it is an important structural difference

Household composition doesn't matter when there is no quarantine and when public spaces, institutions, and rooms are still open for everyone to mingle and infect one another. Especially schools.

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
You seem to believe Folkhälsomyndigheten is actually correct and doing a good job. I do not. <- DOESN'T MATTER, our opinions aren't worth anything.

It took until this weekend for them to officially say you should work from home if you can. That is why it took until this weekend for my company to say that we could. <- SEMI TRUE - Lots of big companies have started doing this way earlier though, at least in the Stockholm region.

They advised not long ago that travel abroad was all well and good. This is precisely why there were so many infections in Sweden. Before it got too many to count (at around 400) there was a Wikipedia page stating how everyone got infected. After the first week or so it was basically all Italy. Because Folkhälsomyndigheten said it was OK to travel. <- YOU'RE MIXING IT UP, and adding some commentary of your own. People we're already in Italy from w.8-9. And the following recommendation was made 2nd of March https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se...coronavirus/riskbedomning-covid-19-beslut.pdf . When the amount of infected was at 14.

Who says school is not a problem? On what is Folkhälsomyndigheten basing this? Why does literally everyone else think it is good idea to close schools, and hence movement of people, but Sweden does not? What makes Sweden right here? <- WE DON'T KNOW, stop pretending like it's a given. It's not.

The state expert has been very, very wrong about some crucial things. You need to start asking yourself if Folkhälsomyndigheten is really getting it right, because right now it looks like you are blindly following them. <- PLEASE LIST THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS, and add what is supposed to be changed.

You know why I am so angry about it all? Because despite being in not one, but two of the risk groups, I was still forced to travel using the public transport system every day, in a city with several hundred infections already, to sit in an office when I could do my entire job from home. And the reason given to me why I still had to do this: "we are following Folkhälsomyndigheten's recommendations". <- I'm in the same situation well except I don't think my job should be closed (education) as the negative aspects of it isn't well understood. The virus though and the almost 100% certainty that I'll get it in a not to distant future, don't like it at all.

My personal opinion is that people guessing and becomg angy isn't actually helping anything. Please just follow and perhaps expand on whatever rules and recommendations that make sense for yourself and those close to you. Hopefully without spreading confusion or going to the stores and stocking up on toilet paper (still not understanding this one).

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As I understand it is that flattening the curve is about buying yourself time. And when it comes to a full country lockdown, you only really get one shot.

Because if you don't time the lockdown well, you will overpower the healthcare system once the country can't handle anymore and people have to come out (and the virus is still very much there).

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
Scientific consensus exists for a reason. A single epidemiologist, sponsored by a state whose best economic interest is to downplay the pandemic, going against the recommendations of pretty much every other epidemiologist, doesn't give him a 50% chance of being right. That's really not how it works.

Please explain how Swedens response is not following the scientific consensus. And "a single epidemiologist" makes me think that you don't understand how this works...

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
fuck, my sister lives in Sweden and she suffer from asthma... In these days I was so worried about Italy that I didn't thought about how other countries were handling the pandemy especially the one where one of my relative lives.

If before i was worried, now I'm officialy in panic.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I live in Stockholm since 2018, AMA :) Currently healthy, though I did manage to get some damn chili up my nose which gave me the sniffles.

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
Household composition doesn't matter when there is no quarantine and when public spaces, institutions, and rooms are still open for everyone to mingle and infect one another. Especially schools.

Agnes Wold, professor of clinical bacteriology and famous science communicator in Sweden, did a bit on this on P3 today. I guess she is just plainly wrong and you are right? Household and how people move in a society is important for spreading the disease and controlling the risk groups.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Please explain how Swedens response is not following the scientific consensus. And "a single epidemiologist" makes me think that you don't understand how this works...
By doing the opposite of what the rest of the world does on recommendation of the WHO.

The only country going for the same thing as Sweden is the UK and the model they used to justify this just got debunked by the ones behind the model.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

What? Denmark's lock down is based around the rapid spread of the virus in Denmark.
While they are not what the chairman of sundhedsstyrelsen (who btw a mere month ago claimed this virus would never reach Europe) they are a government decision based around the rapid spread not only in Denmark, but especially in countries like Germany and Sweden who share borders with Denmark.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Some decisions such as taking to long to restrict travel and not putting people that's been abroad in quarantine has been some possibly bad decisions. especially when it comes to the spreading. However i would say the current situation is sufficient.

As others has said we are the loneliest country in the world where most households contains one or two people. Especially elders are not part of a normal family And usually lives alone, or at a home. So something like a full quarentine would to my understanding be superfluous. Instead the focus should be to keep the risk groups in lockdown, and personally I'm all for getting the rest of the population immune.

The university I'm in will start distance education today, and if things went quicker than they are now I believe that that would make the situation worse than it currently am.

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
By doing the opposite of what the rest of the world does on recommendation of the WHO.

The only country going for the same thing as Sweden is the UK and the model they used to justify this just got debunked by the ones behind the model.
As explained earlier and by several people living in Sweden a lot is being done. Will it be enough? I would guess not, seems like this virus is going to infect almost everyone sooner or later. Will it be enough to flatten the curve, perhaps. Swedish healtcare have fewer hospital beds per capita then most countries which could be a massive problem.

Are they doing the "opposite". Well it depends on what you mean, and please adjust it to all the countries specific variables. Sure seems like a lot of the medical community, not everyone though as it should, is liking some of what Folkhälsomyndigheten is doing and disliking some. As they do with what the politicians are deciding. I personally have a scientific degree (Biology)and I haven't been too annoyed at anything they've done or said so far which usually is the case when politics and science clashes.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You make it sound like the decisions in Sweden are being made by one expert. Which is simply laughable. But you know this and you knew what I meant. Being disingenious does not help your case.

The number of scientists consulted by politicians before taking any important decision is almost always zero. I have little reason to doubt that this decision (one that, again, goes straight against everything the WHO and other experts have recommended), was made after consulting exactly one expert with incentives to tell them what they want to hear.

Yes, it is laughable. Politics very rarely are not. That's the entire point.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
School closing people:
So doctors and nurses will be able to work because of magical daycare centers. Great.
Transport staff?
IT support?
Police officers?
Elder care workers?
Shop staff?
Bus drivers?
Like I don't agree with how my government has handled this, but I think it's a better take than "PANIC! TP PAPER FOR TEN MONTHS MINIMUM!" Because, people have families. And you remove daycare, well grats.

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
The average of experts consulted by politicians before taking any important decision is zero. <- NOT HOW IT WORKS, not how anything works.

I have little doubt that this decision that, again, goes straight against everything the WHO and other experts have recommended, was made after consulting exactly one expert with incentives to tell them what they want to hear. <- NOT HOW IT WORKS, this sounds more like a conspiracy fantasy to me. Or just pure personal speculation.

Yes, it is laughable. The whole situation is. That's the entire point. <- NOT HOW IT WORKS, the situation is horrible. Most of the people I know and my family included have at least a few in their closest circle in a risk group.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would guess not, seems like this virus is going to infect almost everyone sooner or later.

That, again, is the exact same argument UK leaders have made that have gotten everyone else in the world doing a double take: "everyone's going to be infected, why even bother?". The very definition of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Here in Slovakia we only have so far like 72 cases and even we have almost everyone working/relaxing home, no public actions allowed, no sport or entertainment events taking place, schools closed for two weeks, etc..

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
School closing people:
So doctors and nurses will be able to work because of magical daycare centers. Great.
Transport staff?
IT support?
Police officers?
Elder care workers?
Shop staff?
Bus drivers?
Like I don't agree with how my government has handled this, but I think it's a better take than "PANIC! TP PAPER FOR TEN MONTHS MINIMUM!" Because, people have families. And you remove daycare, well grats.

In Denmark there is emergency services set up for that. Info in danish here.

Not gonna pretend to be an expert on the subject. Sadly we won't know what the smarter choice was before the end of this whole shitty ordeal.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

If you truly believe politicians are in the habit of consulting with multiple scientists and following their advice before making any decisions, and that to think otherwise is not simple direct observation of politicians' actions but "conspiracy fantasies", I guess we don't have any common ground for further discussion.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

sorry I don't find this funny at all. Not quaranting and not locking down will mean that the thousands of people will die.

School closing people:
Transport staff?
IT support?
Police officers?
Elder care workers?
Shop staff?
Bus drivers?

Ever heard about emergency daycare/schools? That's what all other countries are doing for critical personnel.

Is no one in Sweden looking outside their own border?

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
If you truly believe politicians are in the habit of consulting with multiple scientists and following their advice before making any decisions, and that to think otherwise is not simple direct observation of politicians' actions but "conspiracy fantasies", I guess we don't have any common ground for further discussion.

As demonstrated in this case the politicans are following experts (who don't all agree, example below) and consulting them before making their decisions. Case in point would be that both Stefan Löfven (Prime Minister) and Anna Ekström (Minister of Education) always make sure to mention Folkhälsomyndigheten to give weight in their speeches. As in when Anna Ekström said that schools would stay open https://www.regeringen.se/sveriges-regering/utbildningsdepartementet/anna-ekstrom/

For example, two swedish epidemiologists disagreeing, https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/epidemiolog-vi-ligger-tva-till-fyra-veckor-efter-italien .

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Well you're not alone anymore Sweden (and the UK), the Dutch have decided to join you! Let's stare into that abyss a bit and see what looks back!

Regarding the science informing policy discussion, check if they're being paid by the government. You don't become a high ranked member of any government organisation without being political. That's not a tin foil hat thing, it's just reality.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
School closing people:
Transport staff?
IT support?
Police officers?
Elder care workers?
Shop staff?
Bus drivers?

Yes, from first-hand experience I can tell that this has been taken into consideration. The day they locked the schools in Denmark, we received a letter explaining that if we cannot take care of our son for work-related reasons we have to inform them, because they will be organizing some kind of emergency daycare. I am not sure how well it works though because we did not need it.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
That is rather specifically talking about closing the borders. Which is just one, and the most recent, element of the danish attempts to curb the spread.
I wasn't the one bringing it up but I assumed that since it was linked earlier in the thread as "political, not based on any scientific reason " this is what the poster was referring to, so I responded with that to a direct question about the topic.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't the one bringing it up but I assumed that since it was linked earlier in the thread as "political, not based on any scientific reason " this is what the poster was referring to, so I responded with that to a direct question about the topic.

Guess I am reading the topic differently. There is nothing in OP about borders, so haven't really seen that as part of the discussion.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
sorry I don't find this funny at all. Not quaranting and not locking down will mean that the thousands of people will die.
Consider an ignore. They've been downplaying the concern across multiple threads, referred to mandated lockdown measures as hysteria and perpetually seem to enjoy expressing a 'too cool to care' attitude around these threads. That's alongside pushing for the UK policy in the UK thread 'because Sweden' despite ignoring all the major differences between the two, while speaking to those differences between the Italy and Sweden here.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
They will wake up soon enough. Finnish government planned on doing fuckall before today and basically follow the Swedish example before the reality came crashing in.