• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The recent batch of new screenshots for the Pixel Remaster games of the first six Final Fantasy games has underlined how bad Square has been with fonts over the last decade or so with some of their rereleases of old games. So many of them are using this weird generic font that strikingly clash with the pixel art being displayed.

Now, I understand for cheap mobile ports that use emulation. They don't want to throw money at the project, so they resort to whatever free font that's available for mobile games. I get it. But the Pixel Remaster games that were unveiled recently are not cheap cashgrabs. Whatever your opinion is on the artstyle, the fact is that all the assets in these games are brand new. This means that effort and money went into them. And if effort and money went into them, why did the font used in these games not get the same care put into it?

Screenshots of both English and Japanese scripts have been released. Surprisingly, or perhaps more frustratingly, the font used in the Japanese script is actually really good. But not the English font.

So what's the deal? Is it a case of the English localization team having some degree of autonomy and not having to report their work to the art team in Japan for QA or some sort of art uniformity check? I'm struggling to imagine that the art director of these games signed off on the English font. Surely that even if they can't read English, they'd be able to evaluate the look of it and how it fits with the rest of the visual data on screen. Right? You have all that gorgeous pixel art right there in front of you, and then that font just aggressively stares at you. It's just not consistent with the rest of the visual presentation. And it's a distraction. Surely someone noticed, right?

Like, imagine if you went to an art gallery to see beautiful pieces of work, and standing out from the collection is this one otherwise gorgeous painting... stuck in this frame:

fisher-price-picture-photo-frame-giraffe-7-x-9--500x500.jpg

It's just a bummer, man. Maybe there's something I'm missing that would explain away all of this nonsense. Maybe everyone who touched the English localization is fully aware of the shit font and they just can't do anything about it for legal or bureaucratic reasons. I dunno.

In any case, the end result remains that the font is ugly, and these classics deserve better. :(

EDIT:
For comparison:

Check out the updated font from the Chrono Trigger PC port:

chronotrigger01-1.jpg

this is how the font looked when the game was released on Steam:

So, clearly, someone somewhere at Square is aware. Why are the same mistakes occuring again? Do the people at Square just not talk to each other? Like what the hell.

Last edited:

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the fonts or Square Enix in general, but their mobile remasters have a horrible sense of UI design and cohesion. Their mainline games look fine.

It's like a different person worked on each UI component and element and nobody talked to each other or even looked at the result. For something so seemingly straightforward and simple it's amazing that they screw it up so consistently.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I'm convinced that you photoshopped that
Check out the updated font from the Chrono Trigger PC port:

chronotrigger01-1.jpg

this is how the font looked when the game was released on Steam:

So, clearly, someone somewhere at Square is aware. Why are the same mistakes occuring again? Do the people at Square just not talk to each other? Like what the hell.

DrSopa

Oct 27, 2017
P̷̢̛̼̙͍̤͔͈̞̙̺̪͗̃̑̄͌̒̌̚͝͠r̷̤̼̘̦͙̠͕͍̩̹͑̓͐͋́͒̾͒͛̎̄̋o̶̾͆̒̉͂̾͐̆̋͋̚̚͝ͅb̶̢̛͚̹͍̼̪͎͎̗̱̝̤͑̀̒̎̌̓̂̍̓̚l̸̟͚̩̭͎̳̒̒́̌̄̽e̸̢̨̛̲̳̝̣̱̫̳͔̮̟̯͇͌̍̐̈̈́̃̔̍̕͝ḿ̵̡̛̛̛͖͍͔͖͍͉̳͎̼̲͈͇̪͊̾͋̍͑̿̚s̶̛̛̛̳͆͋̅͂͑ ̸̼͖̌̎̓͌͘w̵̠̩̭̋̐͑̃́͐̐̐̅͐̀̏ị̵͆̐̑̂͑̋̇͗̔̚t̸̛͕͉̬̳̥̩͂̾̈́̊̾͋̓͝ḧ̶͙̘͍̙̟́̈́͒̌́̚ ̸̡̡͕̯͍̃f̶̨̮̟̤͙̠̠͉̱̞͆̈́̊̅̓͐̈́́̾͋͝ő̸̞n̵̺̫͍͙͓̘̬͊̓́̈́̈́̎̊̓̌̕͝t̶̹̼͗̈́̈̽͐̔̅̄̆͘͝͝s̶͇̥̪̙̻̼̲̹̲̿̈?̶̛̻̬͇̹̘̯̻̰̫̀̿̿̐͜͜͠?̵̻̙͕͉͓̯͎͖̩͑ ̴̡̡̛̱̭̰̬̺͈̮̫̄͌̅͂̂̅̐̍̔́͝ͅͅn̶̻̑̊̎͐̓͘͝a̴̹̣̯̺̘̹̓̇͘͜ạ̷͉̙͎̪̜̠̹̹͎͇́̿̀̈͗̈͌̋͑̀̂̋͒͝ą̵̨̨͉͍͕̞̱̤̝͛̊̅̈́̚͠ͅa̴̘͈̰̬̟̮̻̗̠̲͕̦̭͇͂̓̔͒̇ͅ

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
P̷̢̛̼̙͍̤͔͈̞̙̺̪͗̃̑̄͌̒̌̚͝͠r̷̤̼̘̦͙̠͕͍̩̹͑̓͐͋́͒̾͒͛̎̄̋o̶̾͆̒̉͂̾͐̆̋͋̚̚͝ͅb̶̢̛͚̹͍̼̪͎͎̗̱̝̤͑̀̒̎̌̓̂̍̓̚l̸̟͚̩̭͎̳̒̒́̌̄̽e̸̢̨̛̲̳̝̣̱̫̳͔̮̟̯͇͌̍̐̈̈́̃̔̍̕͝ḿ̵̡̛̛̛͖͍͔͖͍͉̳͎̼̲͈͇̪͊̾͋̍͑̿̚s̶̛̛̛̳͆͋̅͂͑ ̸̼͖̌̎̓͌͘w̵̠̩̭̋̐͑̃́͐̐̐̅͐̀̏ị̵͆̐̑̂͑̋̇͗̔̚t̸̛͕͉̬̳̥̩͂̾̈́̊̾͋̓͝ḧ̶͙̘͍̙̟́̈́͒̌́̚ ̸̡̡͕̯͍̃f̶̨̮̟̤͙̠̠͉̱̞͆̈́̊̅̓͐̈́́̾͋͝ő̸̞n̵̺̫͍͙͓̘̬͊̓́̈́̈́̎̊̓̌̕͝t̶̹̼͗̈́̈̽͐̔̅̄̆͘͝͝s̶͇̥̪̙̻̼̲̹̲̿̈?̶̛̻̬͇̹̘̯̻̰̫̀̿̿̐͜͜͠?̵̻̙͕͉͓̯͎͖̩͑ ̴̡̡̛̱̭̰̬̺͈̮̫̄͌̅͂̂̅̐̍̔́͝ͅͅn̶̻̑̊̎͐̓͘͝a̴̹̣̯̺̘̹̓̇͘͜ạ̷͉̙͎̪̜̠̹̹͎͇́̿̀̈͗̈͌̋͑̀̂̋͒͝ą̵̨̨͉͍͕̞̱̤̝͛̊̅̈́̚͠ͅa̴̘͈̰̬̟̮̻̗̠̲͕̦̭͇͂̓̔͒̇ͅ

you have a way with words

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Pinching this from the other thread...

image0.jpg

The Japanese text doesn't exhibit the same issues the English one does. Very odd!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man it's so hard to believe classic FF titles are released by the same company doing this right now

FLRA4LD.jpg

sv9Bmvzmrnq8eJMgMZHezA-1200-80.jpg

ss_d994cb0320527982e54a8a59d0e78dd5a0994c5b.1920x1080.jpg

This feels so....eh. :/

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I think the issue is less the font they are using and more the resolution of the font. If those fonts were pixelated it would look far better. Though I do think they should choose a better font in general. The inconsistency makes it looks like something an 8 year old threw together in RPGMaker 2000.

Man it's so hard to believe classic FF titles are released by the same company doing this right now
sv9Bmvzmrnq8eJMgMZHezA-1200-80.jpg

ss_d994cb0320527982e54a8a59d0e78dd5a0994c5b.1920x1080.jpg

These last two images have the exact same problem just with the art instead of font. Wildly inconsistent resolutions and levels of detail. The bottom image there is especially bad. Why does the rock in the foreground ?ook like a photo, but the gazebo and water is 3d, and the rest is painted? Why are the characters like twice the resolution of the painted BG but the 3d is twice the resolution of the characters? The far BG has more detail/resolution on the rocks (Sometimes...??) than the rock the guy is standing on in the foreground.

It's like 8 people made this image and had no communication or direction toward what they were trying to accomplish so they made them however they wanted to. It's bizarre. It reminds me when I was a kid and would just google exactly what I needed and would just put it into game maker without thinking much about how janky it looked.

Actually if I'm being honest the second image looks like it was run through some AI image scalers or detail enhancers and they just implemented the first output of each asset without comparing them to anything else.

Last edited:

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
AuthenticM said:
Now, I understand for cheap mobile ports that use emulation. They don't want to throw money at the project, so they resort to whatever free font that's available for mobile games.
I don't think S-E has anything like that. If it was using emulation it'd just be using the old font along with the old everything else.

Jul 1, 2020
Did they just scale all of the type to the longest enemy name in the longest language and just scale all of the rest of it to fit that metric? There is miles of whitespace they could be using to make everything more readable.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Anytime someone says UI/art isn't as important as gameplay, show 'em this shit.

It's also why I can't blame people for going the emulation route (with their totally legit copies) and not buying the games on mobile or Steam.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
The Japanese fonts not having the issue makes me really curious who actually makes the call on this sort of thing and how much thought they put into it. I could easily see it being an afterthought decision made by some Japanese higher ups who just look at a list of fonts and just pick one. I would be surprised if Localization actually gets to make these sorts of decisions.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Font and UI should be the same res as the rest of the game.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Explanation from the other thread:
I think the problem with the font Square Enix chose is that it wasn't made with half-width characters in mind.

Most Japanese text uses full-width/double byte characters, so the font was probably made with that in mind, since the Japanese version was probably developed first. The Roman characters in the player names are probably also full-width in this screenshot (i.e., SQEX3A).

However, most English text is encoded is encoded in half-width/single byte characters (i.e., SQEX3A). In some Japanese fonts that are primarily designed for Japanese text, I've often seen cases where they don't really take into account what the single-byte characters look like, so they end up looking squashed, like is the case for the English text. At least, I think that's what's going on.

The problem is that they used the same font for both versions, which is a Japanese font with awful looking half-width characters. I bet the people localizing it didn't even have a say in the font used.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Maddening, but not new. They hit their sweet spot with the GBA games, before deciding that something reminiscent of Times New Roman worked for the PSP FF Ports, the clear but boring FFIII PSP font and then just the absolutely basic menus and fonts for all subsequent PC/Mobile ports

I thought they'd improved with FFVII (Literally the original), FFIX (I actually kinda' like the Remaster Font) and FFVIII (Fairly similar to the original) and the Chrono Trigger updates, and yet here we are. At least if it gets brought up, it might get patched.

Maybe.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have the kneejerk reaction to dislike non-pixel fonts in releases like this, but they could definitely do a better job at picking what font to use.

MissingString

Oct 28, 2017
I was just having this conversation with someone and couldn't articulate why the font for the pixel remakes was bothering me, but seeing the Japanese and English screenshots next to each other really helped. The font just feels too narrow. Overall I like the look of the pixel remakes, but yeah, Square really makes rough font choices when it comes to English characters.

Personally I'd prefer pixelated text (like the updated CT screenshot) but that's just my old man brain failing to reconcile pixel art with HD fonts.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix isn't just bad with fonts, they're bad at almost every aspect of UI in their classic ports. Fonts, UI's, even character sprites. They just don't seem to care until it creates a big stink online like OP's example of them shitting all over the beloved Chrono Trigger. They definitely didn't give a shit with the Final Fantasy V and VI mobile ports to PC that not only have garbage font's but are also fugly spirtes and crap all over those classics.

But hey they are going to re-release these games for the nth time and a ton of us will throw our cash at them even though the Pixel "Remasters" are again using a garbage font and a butt ugly UI. I swear they just see Arial at the top of the font list in Word and go "that works!".

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It just needs to be unsquished...
3H057OE.png

That looks fine... I don't need literal pixel font just don't squish it to bejesus and back. There has to be a better way!!

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue is less the font they are using and more the resolution of the font. If those fonts were pixelated it would look far better. Though I do think they should choose a better font in general. The inconsistency makes it looks like something an 8 year old threw together in RPGMaker 2000.

These last two images have the exact same problem just with the art instead of font. Wildly inconsistent resolutions and levels of detail. The bottom image there is especially bad. Why does the rock in the foreground ?ook like a photo, but the gazebo and water is 3d, and the rest is painted? Why are the characters like twice the resolution of the painted BG but the 3d is twice the resolution of the characters? The far BG has more detail/resolution on the rocks (Sometimes...??) than the rock the guy is standing on in the foreground.

It's like 8 people made this image and had no communication or direction toward what they were trying to accomplish so they made them however they wanted to. It's bizarre. It reminds me when I was a kid and would just google exactly what I needed and would just put it into game maker without thinking much about how janky it looked.

Actually if I'm being honest the second image looks like it was run through some AI image scalers or detail enhancers and they just implemented the first output of each asset without comparing them to anything else.
what are you even saying, it's the same thing as the original game. These are pre-rendered backgrounds

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Shit's ugly. I wish they would bother with a pixel-based font and even go all the way to make it match the resolution of the other game's assets. I'd rather play the originals at this point.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
It's like they wanted cursive/joined together text but couldn't so instead they just made it so every letter touches the last one with no space between them.

Numbers look ok though.

Oct 25, 2017
It just looks cheap to me. Like, pick the most basic font available and apply it to everything. It's bad design. I hope they fix it.