• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Hi Era,

was asking myself why speedrunning is so popular? Was speedrunning always that popular or went it more popular with streaming services?

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Its a way to be competitive in single player games, also its fun seeing games being destroyed and if you keep watching for years new strats and stuffs.

But yeah imo it was more popular before, people arent that hyped for GDQ for example.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's fun to watch your favorite games be destroyed in various ways

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed running always had a fanbase, but I think games these days offer less other ways to challenge the player outside of basics like no damage, knife only runs etc type stuff.

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
I like watching the game breaking bugs
Also, there's no way I'd be able to grind away all the hours these people put in just one game without losing my mind, respect to them for that

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I do think streaming definitely helped increase the popularity of it, it's a lot of fun to watch people do live runs.

Otherwise, I just think it's fun to watch people blast through my favorite games. In some cases you'll even learn some technical trivia about how it's movement code works or how the levels are designed, and I think stuff like that is interesting too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i have a co worker that knows fuck all about games but annoyingly sends me videos of speedruns every day. dude is completely obsessed

it's been a popular 'thing' for like 15 years now, not even factoring in the enthusiast sphere

Last edited:

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's fun seeing people bash in the face of some NPC at the exact right pixel with a bronze statue to launch themselves across the entire map right in front of the final boss.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Is fun to watch.
I do think streaming definitely helped increase the popularity of it, it's a lot of fun to watch people do live runs.

Otherwise, I just think it's fun to watch people blast through my favorite games. In some cases you'll even learn some technical trivia about how it's movement code works or how the levels are designed, and I think stuff like that is interesting too.
Ypu changed your avatar. For shame....

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Time Attack competitions has been a thing since before video games. See the Olympics or any of the SCCA Time Attack racing leagues. It's popular because it's interesting to see someone strive for a new record, and to see someone extremely skilled at a specialized task.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Not always as popular as it is today, it exploded in 2013 onwards, but it was very present during all 00's and a little bit on late 90's. It was also very very easy to cheat, vide the case of Mike "TSA" Damiani and the ocarina of time splices( but since no one knew, it actually helped create the scene long term).

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Interesting to hear about your opinions. I recently started to speedrun Resident Evil 1 on PC. I like to watch AGDQ and SGDQ.
I remember that speedrunning was not that huge in the Justin.tv days. But maybe I never knew it existed before then.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
My earliest memory of it was challenging friends to beat super mario bros on nes as fast as possible or with one life no warp pipes etc. Always figured others did the same and it snowballed into speedrunning

Oct 25, 2017
Its a way to be competitive in single player games, also its fun seeing games being destroyed and if you keep watching for years new strats and stuffs.

But yeah imo it was more popular before, people arent that hyped for GDQ for example.
It has dips here and there but I think speedrunning as a whole is only getting more popular. I'm pretty sure GDQ has been trending larger overall.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you get to see people who are amazing at our favorite hobby do amazing things in games we love.. hell even games I dont like I enjoy a good speedrun of. Not sure why its a mystery.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Twitch definitely helped a lot, streaming live attempts and building a community to chat with while doing so

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
it helps make some games better overall too

Sonic 06 is a pretty bad game casually, but it's a fantastic speedrun game
i love watchin' 06 runs

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I love it them to see when players break the game in ways I didn't know it was possible and use secrets I didn't know about. I don't watch them that much anymore, just randomly when I find someone find new ways to break the game I like.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
People like watching difficult things done well.

They especially like watching things they can actually try themselves done well.

See also: Sports

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
The only thing I don't like about speed runs are seeing some people playing for hours and hours every day trying to break the next milestone. I sincerely hope they are happy, but I sometimes get the feeling that they use speed runs to escape from "real life".

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Speedrunning has always been popular. It's fun to watch someone who has immense knowledge of game also have the skill the totally break it into pieces, whether it's through glitches and exploits, or just being really really good at using the game's tools to maximum effect.