• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Red Dead Redemption 2 is overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 980 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 868 40.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 130 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 84 3.9%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 103 4.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
So much to do in the game, all the side quests are excellent (cant think of a single bad one), the gunplay is tight and the rythm is slow but its first and foremost a story about contemplation. Finished the game in august and yeah it was wild

Its definitely not for the majority of tastes. Also the control criticism becomes absolutely null / invalid the moment you switch to fps view to shoot at things. There are no issues for any of the other controls. There is no greater open world. That people don't like the game for being a third person shooter otherwise is amusing

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I didn't enjoy my 10 hours with the game, not only because of the controls, but also because of the missions which overall don't offer much liberty. The game is insanely beautiful and... That's about it for me.
That being said, over or underated doesn't mean much. It's just highly praised and i think it sucks.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And I think it's a fantastically paced, methodical experience from start to finish. So it seems we are at an impasse. And when I reach an insurmountable disagreement, I'm going to just ignore the disagreeing party entirely. Next.
I love coming into threads for the sole purpose of shoving my fingers in my ears and screaming LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING I'M NOT LISTENING.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the controls and the slow pace of the game at first, but I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did. The SP is outstanding. I really think people should just give it another chance, because the game, story, world, and characters are all fantastic.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing people recount how the game wasn't fun for them to play always bums me out. I thought it was fucking rad.

It might be my favorite game of all time. Never once did I feel like I was fighting with the game or confusing it's inputs.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's simple.

Because like all Rockstar open world games since GTA4 they play like complete shit so all the 9s and 10s that reviewers trip over themselves to give those games are completely unjustified when the core of what makes a video game a video game is fundamentally ass.

It never ceases to stagger me that anyone that even remotely cares about how a video game feels to pay (you know, the most important aspect of a video game) can enjoy Rockstar open world games.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's not considered overrated just because of a small vocal minority. It's the best game so far this gen and is unlikely to be topped by anything. TloU2 might come close.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It genuinely has some of the worst mission design that I have ever experienced in a game.

So yes, I consider it overrated.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
It's really simple, the better and more liked a game is the more overrated it becomes.

I can elaborate better perhaps. Whenever people don't like a game that is supposed to be good, it becomes overrated.

So the more popular a game gets, the more people will play it and find out they don't like it, so the more overrated it becomes.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Because people value different things? Because a lot of people judge the overall experience, the end result, the sum of its parts? Because art ain't perfect?
It is their right to dismiss fundamental issues such as controls, of course, but when such an important part of the game is significantly flawedit shouldn't be all too surprising that some people feel that a metarating close to the best of the medium is too high, without even going into possible further issues with the game.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arthur Morgan is the best written video game character of all time.
He ain't too shabby, that's for sure. Regardless of my misgivings, great moments in video games don't get much that much better than

Last edited:

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
It's really simple, the better and more liked a game is the more overrated it becomes.

I can elaborate better perhaps. Whenever people don't like a game that is supposed to be good, it becomes overrated.

So the more popular a game gets, the more people will play it and find out they don't like it, so the more overrated it becomes.

That is oversimplifying it. There are cases where even when people do not like something don't think a game/movie is overrated. For example: I thought Ocarina of time was just ok, when compared to some of the other Zelda games. But, I played it much later, and know what it did back then and still feel is a good game for anyone to play now. That doesn't make Ocarina of time overrated by any means.

Coming to RDR2, it is already divisive, atleast with respect to the era audience, on different accounts. Just because you think increasing a sample size means there will be more naysayers, the opposite should also hold true, right ? The people who regard it highly should increase as well. If you just go by the poll, it's already even(slightly more negative). So, increasing the sample size doesn't hold true to this argument.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
He ain't too shabby, that's for sure. Regardless of my misgivings great moments, in video games don't get much that much better than

Yep. He also had his whole story arc told in one game not multiple. Which is very refreshing.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Because its a mind numbingly boring artificially lengthened slog held up by its garbage mission design.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
It's not considered overrated just because of a small vocal minority. It's the best game so far this gen and is unlikely to be topped by anything. TloU2 might come close.

The best game this gen, that couldn't even win majority of GOTYs in the year it released ? Like someone said earlier, if you take apart the graphics and fluff, it has lots of problems and archaic gameplay. That doesn't make it a bad game but definitely not the best game this gen for me.

Letsfly

Feb 12, 2019
The problem is that Arthur Morgan is completely aimless: he doesn't have any goals or purpose. As a result, there is a lack of meaning to everything we do in this game. The protagonist is a side character and all missions feel like side missions. It's like if we played GTA: V only with Franklin.

In the first game I'm trying to reunite with my family. What I'm doing now?

Oct 26, 2017
The best game this gen, that couldn't even win majority of GOTYs in the year it released ? Like someone said earlier, if you take apart the graphics and fluff, it has lots of problems and archaic gameplay. That doesn't make it a bad game but definitely not the best game this gen for me.
Speaking as someone who couldn't get into the game at all, I don't think pointing to the number of GotY awards a game did or didn't win as an indication of its quality, seeing as many of the most beloved games on here or the best games of all time for folk in general don't win much, if any, awards. That being said, yeah, best game of the generation is absolutely subjective and, as someone who plays games more so for their controls, level design, and mechanics than anything else, the game didn't do much for me and your own issues with similar aspects would be why it didn't resonate with you or a lot of Era. Overall though, it does seem that RDR 2 is more so beloved by the general public in general, seeing as it as a massive accomplishment on a technical level and has a strong narrative and cinematic qualities, even if it's more divisive on Era

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I voted no. Missions are a bit rigid, but that's the only thing i maybe have a problem with. The rest is incredible and i even enjoyed the gameplay and gunplay.

One of the best games ever created.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
All of the problems with the controls you listed in the OP to me and many people are reason enough that the game did not deserve a 97. Games have been eviscerated for far less. Mission design was dated as hell too, but those controls were objectively laggy and bad (on phone so don't want to pull up YouTube's about it but there are several vids with actual data showcases about it) and since controlling games are such a major part of gameplay, I simply don't let it slide.

PetThePuppy

Nov 2, 2018
It's quite possibly the most conventionally 'beautiful' game ever created. It's also one of the worst controlling games I've ever played. I've never had less fun with something that should've been a home run.

Other than the controls, the story was incredibly generic, twice as long as it should've been, and ended with a whimper.

RDR1 is still one of my favorite games of all time too.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It depends what you're really playing it for. If you want immersion, and feeling like you're really *in* a place, exploring a world, and interacting with characters, this was probably your GotY and maybe GotG.

If you enjoy tightly-paced gameplay or structure, or you like the Just Cause series, you were likely frustrated by tanky controls, interminable animations, and linearity. All of which are done in service of the above presentation and immersion.

It's that simple, to me, and the world deserves all types of games. I'm glad RDR2 exists, even if it isn't necessarily my cup of tea.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine it's just the ADHD generation not being able to handle a game that is confident enough to pace itself like RDR2 does.
Personally the first game had a bigger impact on me just because it felt so much fresher back then(I've played so many huge open world games since),but it totally deserves all of it's acclaim and the way they handled the final hours(of Arthurs story)was pretty majestic imho.
Red dead 2 has sold 20+ million, dont ever put that on a whole generation, especially those that have ADHD, god that is stupid

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
IMO the most overrated game of all time. I hated my time with it and I completed it till the end. Just so boring and the controls were awful. I keep seeing that it's an "ERA" thing which is not true, I've seen it plenty on other sites and a colleague of mine who isn't a big gamer didnt like it either.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I agree that it has one of the best detailed open worlds and a great story. Problem is I can't enjoy any of it due to needing to deal with its awful controls. Hope the PC release has less input lag.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
For me the game felt much smoother to play after going into the settings and changing some of the controls around (mapping sprint to R3, tinkering with the aiming controls and sensitivity, that sort of thing). I didn't really think about the controls too much after that.

It depends what you're really playing it for. If you want immersion, and feeling like you're really *in* a place, exploring a world, and interacting with characters, this was probably your GotY and maybe GotG.
This was the case for me, even though I also love games with strong gameplay. RDR2 was so damn immersive that I was able to forgive a lot of its flaws.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
The story is great, but the controls are beyond terrible. It's also sluggish as hell.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
It's an amazing game. But I got bored really quick. Also the fast traveling is shit, like really shit.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as someone who couldn't get into the game at all, I don't think pointing to the number of GotY awards a game did or didn't win as an indication of its quality, seeing as many of the most beloved games on here or the best games of all time for folk in general don't win much, if any, awards. That being said, yeah, best game of the generation is absolutely subjective and, as someone who plays games more so for their controls, level design, and mechanics than anything else, the game didn't do much for me and your own issues with similar aspects would be why it didn't resonate with you or a lot of Era. Overall though, it does seem that RDR 2 is more so beloved by the general public in general, seeing as it as a massive accomplishment on a technical level and has a strong narrative and cinematic qualities, even if it's more divisive on Era

I agree. I was just pointing it out as a metric when someone just hand-waves and says it's the vocal minority and saying that it's the best game this gen. I do think there is a larger demographic, than people are making it out here, which doesn't like the game. It, from my knowledge, isn't held in the same regard as RDR 1 or the exemplary reviews it got.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
[/QUOTE]
IMO the most overrated game of all time. I hated my time with it and I completed it till the end. Just so boring and the controls were awful. I keep seeing that it's an "ERA" thing which is not true, I've seen it plenty on other sites and a colleague of mine who isn't a big gamer didnt like it either.

GTA 4 was much worse and has an even higher MC.

The backlash absolutely isn't an "Era" thing, that's just a straw man argument. Literally from day one there were complaints all over Reddit, YouTube and Twitter about the unresponsive controls/terrible free aim.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best game I've ever played that I'll never, ever re-visit.

Loved the game, but the thought of playing through it again is incredibly unappealing.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it is what it is. Rockstar games have been getting a free pass on controls and gameplay for decades, why would I expect reviewers to hold them up to any kind of standard now? We literally had multiple outlets making articles about horse balls, but no one could be bothered to question why the game controlled like Combat on the Atari 2600 or why missions were so on rails and rigid you could fail them for the dumbest shit...but it's pretty though.

...and horse balls.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my personal view it absolutely is, as are all rockstar games since the ps2 era. Their games are big and pretty, but boring and have awful controls which make for a constantly frustrating experience

But they sell a bazilion copies with their formula, so I guess I can't blame them for sticking to it, even though I wish they'd change it for the better.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
if anything, it's underrated

that game is an achievement and practically next-gen considering the time/budget that went into it. especially playing it on a x1x in 4k. it's remarkably beautiful, musically enthralling and arthur's redemption story is one of the best in gaming history.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
There are several things about RDR2 that makes me believe the hype was real. Things such as the visuals, story, writing, and world immersion has not been done to this level before. I really appreciate this. Despite this, the game also has some serious flaws. The first one is the gameplay feel. The game feels very dated to me. The game response to my input is extremely sluggish. Movement could be very frustrating at times. The second flaw is that the game dragged on for far too long. It's several times longer then the first game. I know this because I played it right after RDR2.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. I was just pointing it out as a metric when someone just hand-waves and says it's the vocal minority and saying that it's the best game this gen. I do think there is a larger demographic, than people are making it out here, which doesn't like the game. It, from my knowledge, isn't held in the same regard as RDR 1 or the exemplary reviews it got.
Oh yeah, I don't disagree with that. I'd imagine how the game felt to play held it back from being able to score as many GotY awards as it could've earned. As for there being a healthy amount of folk who don't like the game or don't like it as much as the previous one, I wouldn't be shocked as I have plenty of friends who aren't into RDR or GTA at all and Era is mixed on it, but I'd imagine the views on Era might color perceptions of how well the game is viewed overall. I mean, much like how I didn't think much of RDR1, I don't think much of RDR2, as they have a lot of the same quirks that don't appeal to me. It'd be a bit tough to get an overall idea of that without some sort of survey or something

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Problem being it isn't combined well at all. You almost have 2 completely separate rules of design conflicting with each other. Even linear games these days aren't as linear as R* games missions are. And R* open world feels lived in and realistic, but is full of the same menial tasks that every other open world is full of (those ambushes in the same locations got tireing real fast!) Neither end up being particualrly engaging because of that. If they managed to actually merge the strong narrative with the open world both aspects would benefit. Instead it's just an insultingly linear experience stuck in an open environment. It's jarring.
The problem is that it's incredibly hard to merge a strong narrative with open gameplay in an open world title. Look at pretty much any open world Ubisoft title for example. Hell, a lot of games (botw and mgs5) probably realize this and don't even try.

What people don't realize is that games have to make compromises to fit their goals. For R*, one of those compromises is freedom within story content. For RDR2, I'd actually agree that mission variety suffers a bit, but all you have to do is look at stuff like this:

Or this:

To see things that wouldn't be possible if they opened up their games that much. As for comparing it to linear third person adventure games, I don't know. As amazing as it looks, TLOUII looks very, very linear.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the game much. I loved it for a while, but the mechanics killed it eventually for me. Just wasn't fun to actually play minute to minute, but the experience was amazing.

It's not overrated at all.