• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Red Dead Redemption 2 is overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 980 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 868 40.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 130 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 84 3.9%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 103 4.8%

• Total voters

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
At least 2.

Even changing the control scheme to something more tolerable, moving around was literally painful (specially in camp).
During the crunch scandal, the story that struck me the hardest was the guy who tried to improve the controls getting chewed out for improving the controls

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven´t played the game, yet as someone who values gameplay over everything else I´ve kept away from it because it seems to be a game where presentation is absolutely amazing, but is used to hide very basic and clunky gameplay designs. A complaint I´ve heard a lot is how missions trap you into doing things in very specific ways, which in an open world of such scale and with so much freedom and detail feels extremely awkward. It maybe the antithesis of BotW, which throws detail out of the window from the go by simplifying stuff so the gameplay systems can be empowered to the max. RDR2 releasing after it make have made people more aware of its´ shortcomings in this respect.

It´s a game where detail and realism clash with gameplay, so people who love what it presents will hold it as a masterpiece, while people who just want to play a game will find it very difficult to find something to like.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the controls are shit yet you guys praise Witcher 3 that controls like pure shit

1e041625956bb01c251a40e6e564419dffd9f45c158c7ca3caa61552c6405286.jpg

The Witcher 3's combat doesn't feel great, but at least you can loot a cabinet without it feeling like shit and taking forever.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
People don't appreciate the game. It's one thing that it's not for you, but it's by no means a bad game. Everything feels methodical, and I really loved soaking everything in. The slow talks, the long drawn out conversations, just sitting in camp and listening to stories, the way the story unravels REAL slow, but introduces and gets you to know every character.

I went in expecting grand action right away, and that was a mistake. Once I learned to stop rushing, and to just take it slow, I learned to really love the game.

The game does not get enough recognition for its environments, graphics, and just the authentic feel of an era that no other video game would do proper justice. It takes a lot of talent to make a game in a setting and then keep that setting feeling authentic. On top of all that, they made the best protagonist in a Rockstar game, created painstakingly great side characters, and absolutely nailed the cinematic music scenes.

Screw the haters, RDR2 is perfect. I'll always be bitter that GOW took GOTY over it

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned - Continued Trolling throughout thread
I'm sorry but no.

Nitpicking isn't pointing out the laggy, unresponsive controls and 2009 mission design.

Those are major issues the game has.

I loved it as an experience - the story, characters and World but loathed it as a video game.

I went back and played the original on the X after it and genuinely think the original is a much, much better "game".

Your complaints about the controls-
5C-Sef.gif

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In a world where open world games are striving to give the player more and more freedom within its story mission structure. It always felt weird to me that R* games get 10's across the board for actively taking them all away. The missions in RDR2 are insanely linear considering they take place inside a giant sandbox world where you should be able to approach a situation however you see fit. This has been R* approach to design since the PS2 trilogy of games really and it's strange to see such strict design lauded over.

I mean I understand the praise for its visuals and world building, but that's but a fraction of what a game is. But to each their own I guess.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Don't mistake this forum for anything close to a consensus.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
I think a lot of my problem with the naysayers of this game is not that they don't like it, thats a personal preference and that's fine

but it was more of the naysayers trying to tell the people that loved it that they "don't really love it"

or its just the "honeymoon phase, and we'll all forget about it in the next few months". that somehow we are deluding ourselves into loving it

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of my problem with the naysayers of this game is not that they don't like it, thats a personal preference and that's fine

but it was more of the naysayers trying to tell the people that loved it that they "don't really love it"

or its just the "honeymoon phase, and we'll all forget about it in the next few months". that somehow we are deluding ourselves into loving it
Please point out who did this?

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I've always felt Rockstar games get insanely high reviews almost for the sake of them being Rockstar. Yes the production values are insanely high but there's a lot more to a game than that. Out of their entire line up, it was Grand Theft Auto 3 that I felt deserved all the praise. The game obviously doesn't hold up but at the time of it's release it was an amazing feat. Maybe I just don't relate to the companies games as much as other people, but even with red dead 2 I thought it was great and worth playing, but not the 10/10 some others felt it deserved.
If only Max Payne 3 and Midnight Club LA could have benefited critically from this supposed Rockstar bias.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
It is not overrated. It is a Rockstar game and their titles often come with very high expectations. These same expectations are often not applied to other titles IMO.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
RDR2 is one of my favorite games of this gen. I had no trouble actually playing the game because I was fully immersed in the world from the moment the game started. It's not perfect by any means - the mission structure is pretty shit and the Guarma chapter was awful - but I loved the game despite these flaws. Walking around camp at night and talking to everyone, exploring the beautiful world and finding all sorts of crazy secrets, reading Arthur's journal and seeing how his character progresses as you go through the game, watching everything just... fall apart in chapter 6, all of that made this game one of the most memorable ones I have played. RDR2 moved me in a way that few games do.

Plus it has one of the best soundtracks of all time.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is straight up not fun to play at times. Arthur controls like shit for one. The overt realism straight up ruins some aspects of the game. Plus the whole you must do the mission my way or you fail thing straight up sucks.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I would imagine it's just the ADHD generation not being able to handle a game that is confident enough to pace itself like RDR2 does.
Personally the first game had a bigger impact on me just because it felt so much fresher back then(I've played so many huge open world games since),but it totally deserves all of it's acclaim and the way they handled the final hours(of Arthurs story)was pretty majestic imho.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It has some of the worst gameplay of anything released last year. Large parts of it are a literal chore to endure.

Also has some of the best storytelling in videogames along with some of the best presentation, graphics, and direction in games.

So is it overrated or not? Yes.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I haven´t played the game, yet as someone who values gameplay over everything else I´ve kept away from it because it seems to be a game where presentation is absolutely amazing, but is used to hide very basic and clunky gameplay designs. A complaint I´ve heard a lot is how missions trap you into doing things in very specific ways, which in an open world of such scale and with so much freedom and detail feels extremely awkward. It maybe the antithesis of BotW, which throws detail out of the window from the go by simplifying stuff so the gameplay systems can be empowered to the max. RDR2 releasing after it make have made people more aware of its´ shortcomings in this respect.

It´s a game where detail and realism clash with gameplay, so people who love what it presents will hold it as a masterpiece, while people who just want to play a game will find it very difficult to find something to like.

If the gameplay is without merit than why does it continue to do so well or GTA V has never left the Top10 most played games on Xbox. You would think by now (7 years later) the masses would have moved on to the new shinny thing.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game was beautiful, but I found it to be a chore to play. I gave it a good 5 hours and never once had fun. That plus clunky controls made me drop it.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
"just a resetera thing" they say when the game has 8.0 user score on MC

and yeah, I know about trolls and 0/10s, but games like God of War don't suffer from them for some reason

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the gameplay is without merit than why does it continue to do so well or GTA V has never left the Top10 most played games on Xbox. You would think by now (7 years later) the masses would have moved on to the new shinny thing.
The human race just generally has really poor taste.

Oct 25, 2017
It's considered to be overrated because the majority of critics gave it perfect scores when it controls poorly/character movement is ass, has pacing issues and mission design that has barely evolved from the ps2 days. Like how is a game a 10/10 when it doesn't even have game design fundamentals down pat.

It's also telling how when GOTY season came around it got blown out by God of War, a game that scored worse. If you listened to Giant Bomb's goty podcast, like half the staff thought rdr2 was just okay.

Know what I think happened? The Rockstar game fans at each review outlet reviewed this game. If you're an editorial lead it doesn't make sense to assign a 60 hour Rockstar game to a staff member that doesn't like Rockstar games when you have people in staff who are enthusiastic to play them.

Is it a bad game? No. The world and characters are amazing. Overrated at 97? Hell yes lol.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The controls are awful. But I don't think it's overrated, no more than other high-scoring games with glaring flaws like The Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I think the main reason is being a third party game without Nintendo and PC versions.

These groups are very vocal and strongly present in newsrooms and forums. They eventually let some resentment pass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty great. The controls took a little getting used to but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

Except for when the FUCKING Lemoyne Raiders murdered my horse for kicks. I killed them all. I killed them all and I burned their bodies.

Every.

Last.

One.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
It's considered to be overrated because the majority of critics gave it perfect scores when it controls poorly/character movement is ass, has pacing issues and mission design that has barely evolved from the ps2 days. Like how is a game a 10/10 when it doesn't even have game design fundamentals down pat.

It's also telling how when GOTY season came around it got blown out by God of War, a game that scored worse. If you listened to Giant Bomb's goty podcast, like half the staff thought rdr2 was just okay.

Know what I think happened? The Rockstar game fans at each review outlet reviewed this game. If you're an editorial lead it doesn't make sense to assign a 60 hour Rockstar game to a staff member that doesn't like Rockstar games when you have people in staff who are enthusiastic to play them.
what is this...its not considered overrated that is not the consensus by any stretch, its incredible divisive

so the naughty dog fans review the naughty dog games, the nintendo fans review the nintendo games

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
wait so now your saying that there is a Rockstar bias and now you are saying its only their open world games
Its the same thing. I don't know why you're trying to convince so me hard about this. Its ok if I find Red Dead 2 and some other games overrated. I still like playing them if it makes you feel better.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Controls sucks point blank. When autoaim s must u know something s wrong. Slow slugish.
Mission design s boring. Almost always the same thing. Ride there, cutscene, shootout starts, ride back. For open world way too much stricted.
Travel s annoying. Ride for long time, well ur horse cant sprint anymore.
Whats the point of favors for camp. I finished game doing few only. Nothing hapened.
Micromanaging of everything. Sim rpg disguised as action adventure. Shave, eat. Cowboy sim maybe.
Huge wasteland. It look amazing and animations re top notch but people praise it like its living breathing world. Just lol. Towns with store, barber, saloon. Denise, rhodes, mines....swear cant remember anything else.
Bounties can be fun itself sometimes, but they take fun out of game.
First rdr has better story.
Same irrelevant rockstar side activities. Cards etc.
Its a game full of pointless incomplete systems without substance. Apart from start hunting,craftingbdoesnt matter.
Apart from some shooting i didnt have fun playing it. I just wanted it to end.

For a game developed 5 or 6 years and thousands of people i expected much more. Let alone 97 score.
Its 86 game overhyped and overrated thanks to rockstar logo. And people re suckers for little details. Its a game stuck in 2013 with 2018 graphics.
Gta 5 s better and more exciting to play and i m not big gta fan.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thread is asking why people don't like the popular game, not asking why its popular.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I won't say something is overrated just cause I don't fall into consensus. Obviously I'm an outlier but I thought it was nowhere near as fun to play as the first game, which brought the whole experience down for me. It controller horribly too

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Graphics, presentation, story, are eltie and one of the best. But why didn't win GOTY in most outlets simply the gameplay is very dated and in that they fall behind. Gameplay is one of the most importan aspect of a game that's why shitty looking games sometimes are very highly rated because of the fun or innovative gameplay.