• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Spider Gwen and Miles, or like Silk?

No those are people who have the same powers, either due to being from alternate universes or in Silk's case also being bitten by the radioactive spider.

Spider-Man has a bunch of clones including Ben Reilly, Kaine, Jack, and of course, Spidercide.

635752-spidercide1.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Spidercide slander will earn this thread a lock and delete

Oct 28, 2017
No those are people who have the same powers, either due to being from alternate universes or in Silk's case also being bitten by the radioactive spider.

Spider-Man has a bunch of clones including Ben Reilly, Kaine, Jack, and of course, Spidercide.

635752-spidercide1.jpg
Those aren't clones.

ll4ver1y4q011.jpg

Those are clones.
Thank you both, gives new meaning to this for me.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Also holy crap at demon spider and now I think Slayven is a Spider Clone. 🤔 🤨

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Because Onslaught was hyped as the destruction of the X-Men and the reason for Bishop's arrival looking for a traitor but ended up being Xavier Gone Wild, yet they pulled the backpedal on that and just made it like it was a mix of his and Magneto's psyche

To finish off, they threw a gutpunch: Onslaught led into Heroes Reborn, one of the worst comic series ever

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because all you had to do was block and then beam his face. He also didn't take hit stun and couldn't be launched, so you were punished for trying any other play style.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Onslaught was hyped as the destruction of the X-Men and the reason for Bishop's arrival looking for a traitor but ended up being Xavier Gone Wild, yet they pulled the backpedal on that and just made it like it was a mix of his and Magneto's psyche

To finish off the gutpunch Onslaught led into Heroes Reborn, one of the worst comic series ever

Yeah, but it lead to Thunderbolts and the Heroes Return soft relaunch with Busiek Avengers and Waid Captain America.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Onslaught was one of the many crossover summer events in the late 90s that led to me falling out of comics for a decade. Age of Apocalypse was so hype, and then they went to this and heroes reborn and shit.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but it lead to Thunderbolts and the Heroes Return soft relaunch with Busiek Avengers and Waid Captain America.

The Thunderbolts #1 reveal still being a surprise was one of the best things Marvel ever pulled off. And they came so close to spoiling it on multiple occasions.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's true, and what came next was a well crafted Hail Mary. The hiccup that was Heroes Reborn almost bankrupted the entire company

That's actually a common misconception, or at least so I've been told. The books were abject garbage but they actually sold remarkably well and Marvel's bankruptcy was due to trying to buy its own comics distributor.

The Heroes Reborn status quo actually has some prototypes for ideas that were found in Ultimate Marvel, and then the MCU.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when I was a kid, I thought Onslaught was rad as hell. But it was also '96.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Thunderbolts #1 reveal still being a surprise was one of the best things Marvel ever pulled off. And they came so close to spoiling it on multiple occasions.

Thunderbolts #1 is definitely the kind of plot twist we would never see again in this day and age.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually a common misconception, or at least so I've been told. The books were abject garbage but they actually sold remarkably well and Marvel's bankruptcy was due to trying to buy its own comics distributor.

The Heroes Reborn status quo actually has some prototypes for ideas that were found in Ultimate Marvel, and then the MCU.
It was the talk of the town back at the time, and true or not, it fed into the criticism of the fallout of the Onslaught Saga, and of the character itself.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Onslaught is good actually because it lead into Operation Zero Tolerance, one of the best X-Men stories ever and one of the last good ones period before Morrison took over.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Onslaught is good actually because it lead into Operation Zero Tolerance, one of the best X-Men stories ever and one of the last good ones period before Morrison took over.

J. Jonah Jameson telling Bastion to fuck off is one of Jonah's best moments ever. And it didn't even happen in a Spider-Man comic.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thunderbolts #1 is definitely the kind of plot twist we would never see again in this day and age.

The really crazy part is that they spent months of promotion selling them as the next Avengers, with interviews with Busiek and Bagley selling them as superheroes insanely hard.

Now, we'd get an article in USA Today a week before the issue landed revealing it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The really crazy part is that they spent months of promotion selling them as the next Avengers, with interviews with Busiek and Bagley selling them as superheroes insanely hard.

Now, we'd get an article in USA Today a week before the issue landed revealing it.

They almost spoiled it in the solicit of a Hulk comic before the launch of Thunderbolts #1.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I remember liking the Onslaught story but it was also about the time that I fell off comic books. I just didn't have the time and money to invest in them along with video games and school.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How does Onslaught work. Like, how does it function and gain the power that it does?

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
I loved it, it was a tie-in fiesta, so many different things going on at the same time in the Marvel Universe,
Magneto had a young clone going around, Wolverine had the mind of a literal wolverine, there were so many X-Titles

it was a great time to be an X-Men fan

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah pretty much got that. So literally Peter Parker, got it.

The original Clone Saga is a pretty simple story. It's not the problem. The problem came later.

I'm just going to get through this as quickly as possible.

After Norman Osborn was impaled on his own glider after killing Gwen Stacy, Peter was in a very bad place. Mary Jane had spent a lot of time trying to help Peter through his grief. And Peter began to realize he might have had feelings for MJ.

And then Gwen came back.

Except she wasn't the original Gwen. She was a clone created by Miles Warren, Peter and Gwen's professor. Warren was a supervillain who called himself The Jackal. And Jackal was obsessed with Gwen. After she died, he took it hard and went full-on mad scientist. He eventually cloned Peter. And Peter and his clone fought. And Peter won. And he left his clone somewhere else for dead.

Flash forward to the 1990s. Someone at Marvel suggests bringing the clone back. He used the name Ben Reilly ("Ben" for Uncle Ben, and "Reilly" being Aunt May's maiden name). Then someone had the "brilliant" idea of suggesting Peter was actually the clone, and Ben was the original Spider-Man.

And all hell broke loose. What was supposed to be a story that lasted for a few months went on for about two years. Jackal came back. And more clones came with him.

(Other things to remember about this era. Peter and MJ were married at this point, and MJ was pregnant. Marvel was looking for a way to undo both of these things and thought "Ben's the real Spider-Man" would get them what they wanted. To say the readers reacted negatively to these twists is putting it mildly.)

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Anyway the Onslaught story is really garbage because Mark Waid had to canonize that Professor X had the hots for Jean back in the day.

This happened because Magneto killed the Red Skull (a literal Nazi who was currently running around with his best friend's brain) while all the Avengers were telling him that made him just as bad :(

Avengers being all centrist and telling that to a Holocaust survivor of all people? Who thought that would be a good idea?

Oct 28, 2017
The original Clone Saga is a pretty simple story. It's not the problem. The problem came later.

I'm just going to get through this as quickly as possible.

After Norman Osborn was impaled on his own glider after killing Gwen Stacy, Peter was in a very bad place. Mary Jane had spent a lot of time trying to help Peter through his grief. And Peter began to realize he might have had feelings for MJ.

And then Gwen came back.

Except she wasn't the original Gwen. She was a clone created by Miles Warren, Peter and Gwen's professor. Warren was a supervillain who called himself The Jackal. And Jackal was obsessed with Gwen. After she died, he took it hard and went full-on mad scientist. He eventually cloned Peter. And Peter and his clone fought. And Peter won. And he left his clone somewhere else for dead.

Flash forward to the 1990s. Someone at Marvel suggests bringing the clone back. He used the name Ben Reilly ("Ben" for Uncle Ben, and "Reilly" being Aunt May's maiden name). Then someone had the "brilliant" idea of suggesting Peter was actually the clone, and Ben was the original Spider-Man.

And all hell broke loose. What was supposed to be a story that lasted for a few months went on for about two years. Jackal came back. And more clones came with him.

(Other things to remember about this era. Peter and MJ were married at this point, and MJ was pregnant. Marvel was looking for a way to undo both of these things and thought "Ben's the real Spider-Man" would get them what they wanted. To say the readers reacted negatively to these twists is putting it mildly.)
Appreciate the synopsis and I think I get the gist of the issues, I am speechless.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the synopsis and I think I get the gist of the issues, I am speechless.

Despite all this, I actually kind of like The Jackal. Marvel really embraced the character as just the ultimate super villain troll. He really gets off on trolling Peter Parker. (Although since someone had the obvious idea of him finding out about Spider-Gwen, I wonder how long it will be until he trolls Peter again.)

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a shitty villain created as part of a shitty comics event who served as the catalyst for a super shitty comics event (Heroes Reborn). They wasted a bunch of long burning running plotlines across multiple books(eg. the "X-traitor" story which served as Bishop's origin) for the sake of that Onslaught story and it was just terrible.

Personally I just hated that the (also shitty) mini-series where they brought him back ended with the killing off of Rikki Barnes (A character who, by that time, had actually been turned into a worthwhile addition to the Marvel Universe. I'll always stan for Young Allies). Though she got brought back a few months ago but even so... fuck Onslaught.

Oct 28, 2017
Despite all this, I actually kind of like The Jackal. Marvel really embraced the character as just the ultimate super villain troll. He really gets off on trolling Peter Parker. (Although since someone had the obvious idea of him finding out about Spider-Gwen, I wonder how long it will be until he trolls Peter again.)
I can see that, it doesn't sound like a bad idea, it's just as far as I've heard it's certain authors/storyline that cause the issues.