• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
onslaught442.jpg

Whenever I see Onslaught mentioned, it's usually with distaste or dislike towards his character. So it had me wondering, what is it about him that people hate so much?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Because it was honestly a poorly told story. While the idea itself isn't horrible but the execution was terrible and lead to the also horribly done Heroes Reborn.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
He has a cool design that works under some artists (not the one in the OP)
He was in a Capcom fighting game
the idea behind him was kinda interesting

everything else is pure shit

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's seen as emblematic of the trends comics had in the 90's. And being the lead in to Heroes Reborn doesn't help.

I really dig him, though his appearances after that initial story have only served to water him down and make him a joke I think. It was a good way to payoff the long-running X-traitor subplot and, while I'm sure a lot of the tie-ins were bad, the main story in the two specials and X-Men comics was well done.

Sargerus

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was the beginning of the shit era of Marvel comics in the 90's

Oct 25, 2017
Only time I ever followed a comic storyline as it happened, bought so many books that Summer, I really enjoyed it, too bad I didn't jump in a few years earlier for Age of Apocalypse

Only other comic saga I bought close to the time it happened was Superman's death and resurrection

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
well I dunno who he is but he looks pretty stupid to me so maybe that's why
Psychic monster dude made out of the combined anger of Professor X and Magneto. Magneto ripped the Adamantium out of Wolverine's body and almost killed him, so Xavier was like "nah fuck that shit" and scrambled Magneto's brain.

But when he did it, Magneto's anger fused with his subconscious anger and grew into a psychic monster that could absorb powers from mutants who was only beaten when the human superpowered people flung themselves into his body. He couldn't absorb them, so he got unstable and died and then came back a few times in the 2000s and then went away forever.

Until he's eventually brought back in the current X-Men stuff.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
First crossover I ever read so I don't really get all the hate for it either. I'm sure I'm blinded by nostalgia though.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
He's so fanfiction-esque..."What if Xavier and Magneto merged....wooaaaahhhh". Yawn....and I don't know if I like or hate it being used to resolve the "who is the x-traitor?" arc from Bishop's introduction

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It started good, after the events of AoA, we were finally going to find out who betrayed the x-men that bishop talked about. People were fucking going crazy because they thought they were getting another days of future past/AoA. Nope not even close

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Onslaught's a big dumb action figure. It's nothing special but at least it remembers the heroes are all friends on the same side instead of another hero vs. hero event.

Plus it gave us Thunderbolts.

Xavier used his powers to shut down Magneto's brain after he ripped all the adamantium out of Wolverine, and this caused Magneto's evil personality to infect Xavier and gradually make him more evil until he eventually created Onslaught from his mind.

Onslaught did one cool thing by tracking down the Juggernaut and punching him so hard he flew from one state to the next, and then was really boring for the rest of the story.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Onslaught, remember that time when Red Skull's clone stole Professor X's brain and used it to become Onslaught?

4422493-8836586959-021.j.jpg

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
I've read every x-men comic from 1963 to 2010, minus a lot of annuals. Onslaught was the worst cross-over of them all. The concept was boring ,the action, the art.

I'd rather re-read New Mutants. Hell, I'd rather REWATCH THE MOVIE NEW MUTANTS.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I always confuse Onslaught with Nemesis/Holocaust

1990s extreme led to them naming a character "Holocaust".

As detailed earlier in this thread, Magneto once ripped the metal out of Wolverine's body and Xavier got so pissed that he wiped Magneto's mind. But when he did this, a small sliver of Magneto's essence attached itself to Xavier, which eventually became Onslaught.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly if they had just kept him as Professor X Goes Insane he would have worked better.

Oct 28, 2017
Onslaught's a big dumb action figure. It's nothing special but at least it remembers the heroes are all friends on the same side instead of another hero vs. hero event.

Plus it gave us Thunderbolts.

Xavier used his powers to shut down Magneto's brain after he ripped all the adamantium out of Wolverine, and this caused Magneto's evil personality to infect Xavier and gradually make him more evil until he eventually created Onslaught from his mind.

Onslaught did one cool thing by tracking down the Juggernaut and punching him so hard he flew from one state to the next, and then was really boring for the rest of the story.
1990s extreme led to them naming a character "Holocaust".

As detailed earlier in this thread, Magneto once ripped the metal out of Wolverine's body and Xavier got so pissed that he wiped Magneto's mind. But when he did this, a small sliver of Magneto's essence attached itself to Xavier, which eventually became Onslaught.
Thank you both, comics hurt my brain!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway the Onslaught story is really garbage because Mark Waid had to canonize that Professor X had the hots for Jean back in the day.

Yea but what about Red Onslaught and one of the worst marvel crossover events in history AXIS?

B2bhOYC.png

EDIT: TheMadTitan 'members.

This happened because Magneto killed the Red Skull (a literal Nazi who was currently running around with his best friend's brain) while all the Avengers were telling him that made him just as bad :(

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
During the time he was released I looooooved him. I had the toy, and comics. I still love his character. Don't think we will ever see that character walking around in movies or anything sadly.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yea but what about Red Onslaught and one of the worst marvel crossover events in history AXIS?

B2bhOYC.png

EDIT: TheMadTitan 'members.
If Marvel left shit alone, it probably would've been better. It was supposed to just be an an arc in Uncanny Avengers and it should've stayed that way.

Imagine Onslaught on Krakoa 😳😳😳
It's Hickman, he'll get there eventually. Or they'll use Cassandra Nova and Joseph to make a new Onslaught.

*cough* I actually liked AXIS
But it ruined Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Havok, and caused Rick Remender to swear off working at Marvel.

Nothing good came of it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually Chris Sims and Chad Bowers' X-Men '92 made him fucking rad.

6n5p01.jpg

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never had the money for comics growing up so I never really followed them, but I did borrow from other people and browsed them in school. I remember Onslaught, Age of Apocalypse and Nate Grey being really cool, especially since they seemed like cool huge events as far as I remembered. I remember thinking they might even merge.