• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a pretty basic router, nothing fancy or high end. My PS5 is nearly done downloading a 120GB game in under three hours while my PC would take 16+ hours to do that on either Steam, Epic, Origin or any other download client of choice.

What's going on here? Using wifi on both btw.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
What region? When I download games from Steam, it always maxes out my connection and uses all the bandwidth I can throw at it (20MB/sec). Have you selected the correct download region in Steam?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I needed to change my Steam download server to Sweden - Gothenburg in order to max out my 600 Mbps connection since the Spain servers suck major ass. Try playing with that.

EGS is a piece of shit so no idea, consider not using it

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
you may be connecting to your wifi on the 2.4ghz band on pc but 5ghz on ps5.

5ghz is shorter range but can achieve much higher speeds.

RoxasBeatz

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Same issue for me, but it's because of the HDDs that I still use to store a lot of games on pc. Only the primary games are on my ssd.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
As Linus said, check the bandwidth/range settings on your PC. Make sure it's connected to 5Ghtz if it's compatible.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
Wifi? Ewwww, try using ethernet cables if possible. If not, like the previous posts, make sure your pc is connecting to the 5 ghz band.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
my partners PC is like this (though not as outrageously different as yours), I just chalk it up to wifi card isn't as good as the PS5's.

Crax

May 21, 2018
The WiFi card on your PS5 is probably better than the one in your PC. What wifi card are you using? If it's on the motherboard, what motherboard do you have? If it's a laptop, which laptop? :)

Edit: 120gb in under 3 hours is over 85MB/s so I assume you have a Gigabit internet connection? SSD vs HDD wouldn't make this big of a difference, so please confirm you are using the 5ghz wifi band, and also check what wifi card you have.

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
This Can be server issue, hard drive and SSD slower too if they Can't maxout your internet speed. And wifi if it's not 5ghz .

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
PS5 has been fast as hell for me honestly.
I downloaded and installed Control (PS5) in less than 10 minutes. (i'm from Portugal)

I was really surprised tbh.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
120GB in 3 hours is 11MB/s. So, not a really high download speed that would saturate your drive bandwith or anything.
To have such a huge difference, it must come from your wifi card. Try with a cable I'd say.
You should do a speedtest.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a pretty basic router, nothing fancy or high end. My PS5 is nearly done downloading a 120GB game in under three hours while my PC would take 16+ hours to do that on either Steam, Epic, Origin or any other download client of choice.

Doesn't steam show download speeds on the client?
Also helps to see what is your download speeds from competent browser speed test benchmarks on the PC.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Are you downloading to SSD's on the PC?

I can not max out my broadband when downloading to older platter drives but max my connection when downloading to SSD's.

Basicallly downloading faster than my old hard drives can handle.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
For me its always a mix bag. On some days Steam is faster, on others PS5 is faster. Epic has always been moderate; except Fortnite patches, those take so damn long. All ethernet connected. I think its because my ISP tends to switch server host every so often.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, I'm connecting to my local data centre.

IIRC steam doesn't have all games on each server. So depending on the game, you might connect to Sydney, the game isn't there and it has to double download from some other server as it downloads to you.

You might try connecting to another server if a particular game is being slow.

If that doesn't sound right, you might also have a wifi incompatability with your router. This is especially true if you are on a mac for some reason. See if your router is doing 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ and try the other mode or both for your PC.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Does your PC has an SSD that's as fast as the PS5's?
In this case the storage medium doesn't matter as the download speed are so low that even an low end SSD would be able to keep up (~90Mbit/s if my math is correct for the PS5 download speed).

Edit; I think even a traditional HDD would be able to keep up.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

What kind of CPU do you have?
The decompression while downloading can be limiting as well if you use big bandwidth numbers. I guess the ps5 is using its decompression block. The PS4 only had a seperate decompression block for data from the Blu-Ray and it was the reason why it was so much faster than the competition including One and WiiU (IIRC).

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
The WiFi card on your PS5 is probably better than the one in your PC. What wifi card are you using? If it's on the motherboard, what motherboard do you have? If it's a laptop, which laptop? :)
That's probabaly reason n1 yes.

the PS5 is Wifi 6 compatible and probabaly better than the Wifi controller on his PC.

If I do the same tests with my iPad Pro 11 and iPhone XR, the iPad has a lot bette results.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Wish I had this problem, steam usually almost caps out 1gbit and if the default server is hammered can just swap do location,meanwhile ps5 at best times here would saturate 100mbit and can't swap server, both are wired

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
HDD, CPU, type of wifi (wire that sh*t), etc.

It's not a Steam/PC problem per se. Mine go the same speed, with PC achieveing max more consistently (99% of the time) than PS5.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
In this case the storage medium doesn't matter as the download speed are so low that even an low end SSD would be able to keep up (~90Mbit/s if my math is correct for the PS5 download speed).

Edit; I think even a traditional HDD would be able to keep up.

Even an SD card might keep up.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
That's weird. My PS5 is way faster than my Ps4 at downloads, but it's not even close to how fast steam on my pc is. Both 5ghz and PS5 is much closer.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
That's weird. My PS5 is way faster than my Ps4 at downloads, but it's not even close to how fast steam on my pc is. Both 5ghz and PS5 is much closer.
Nah, it's not weird. PS5 straight up maxes out my Gigabit download. It's a sight to behold.

Steam gets maybe 60-70% of the way there. Still plenty fast for me, but defnitely inferior to PS5.

Both machines are connected to Ethernet so the only reasonable possibility here is that Microsoft is doing a great job with their Cloud's networking, which Sony uses.

edit: no contract there. Just a memorandum of understanding. I was mistaken.

I wonder when their contract with MS will expire. MS needed them back then, but not so much today.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
When I put steam on unlimited it maxes out my download speeds and kills everything else on the network, same goes for Blizzard App and Origin. The PS5 is super fast as well and 10 times better than the PS4 but it's not faster than my PS5.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Steam/PS5 don't use the same content servers, that matters just as much as the physical connections. Then there's the possibility of your ISP throttling traffic to certain servers.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Steam's capable of maxing out my 300 Mbps connection.

To help rule out some options, what do you get from an Ookla speed test on your PC PS9?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam is always a slow PoS, fits the 90s asthetic, but every other service i usually max out.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My PS5 is incredibly fast downloading games. It's actually one of the best features for me. I hated to impulse buy a game on ps4 and then only being able to play it the next day.
I recently bought MK11 and downloaded it in under 5min, so good.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Steam is always a slow PoS, fits the 90s asthetic, but every other service i usually max out.

Steam can be very fast, but sometimes you need to change the server in the settings (Settings -> Downloads -> Download region)
For example my own countrys server usually gives me 210-230 MB/sec but currently it maxes out at 30 MB/sec. Switching to another country gave me 160 MB/sec stable on my download. Not max of my line, but obviously very fast.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Change your download server on Steam if you see slow downloads. You'll max out even if you have 1000Mbps.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
Both machines are connected to Ethernet so the only reasonable possibility here is that Microsoft is doing a great job with their Cloud's networking, which Sony uses.

I wonder when their contract with MS will expire. MS needed them back then, but not so much today.

When did they sign a contract? because the 2019 thing was just a memorandum of understanding, which isn't a contract or anything binding.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, it's not weird. PS5 straight up maxes out my Gigabit download. It's a sight to behold.

Steam gets maybe 60-70% of the way there. Still plenty fast for me, but defnitely inferior to PS5.

Why would the contract expire?
This is business.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
My PS5 is wired and so is my PS4. With the PS4 I could sometimes get good speed if I did nothing else. With the PS5 it doesn't matter, it is VERY quick almost all the time now.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The SSD is local storage, OP is talking about download speeds which are linked directly to the WiFi or Ethernet connections on the PS5.

The SSD will have no impact on download speeds. Only install speeds, which are completely different.

Write speeds to the SSD effect download speeds. Same with the CPU decompressing the data.