• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The recent update of Steam Client Beta supporting more than 4 Xbox controllers got me wondering why is Microsoft not updating xinput to support modern controller features and more than 4 controllers support, and Sony not allowing more than 4 controllers support for PS4 and PS5.

If I am not wrong, you can still use 8 controllers with DirectInput, but that's a deprecated API so I have no idea why Microsoft isn't improving XInput to make people switch over.

Update: missed this but the Wireless Adapter support 8 controllers.
The Xbox Wireless Adapter supports 8 controllers at once.

for Sony, I understand local multiplayer is not a thing they focus on, but I don't understand the reason to not make it a thing anyway for 3rd party devs (and I can't imagine it being a very difficult feature to add). Weaker hardwares like Nintendo Switch and PS3 support more than 4 controllers.

*not counting smartphones as extra controllers or hotseat here

To add on the bits for Steam:
We can't do this because windows.gaming.input doesn't work in the background. We've spoken to the Microsoft input team about this both over email and in person, but to no avail.

We can support up to 16 Xbox controllers over directinput but that doesn't allow us to rumble or use the triggers at the same time so this isn't enabled in Steam. If you're interested in technical details there is a thread on the SDL2 forums where Slouken talks about this in more detail. I know that someone had worked on a pull request where they would switch input apis based on the number of controllers attached but last time I checked it was not yet stable enough to merge.

We do support up to 16 of every controller other than Xbox on Windows and if you switch to Linux we are able to support the full 16 Xbox controllers.

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Didnt ps3 allow 7 DEVICES? Which includes mics and that?

I'm not sure why youd want more than 2, let alone 4, controllers on a tv. (Borderlands was the last time I split screened and it was a nightmare)

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The ps5 supports more but some are reserved for vr headset, camera, move controller/aim controller etc.

I think it's a limit on the Bluetooth chip more than a restriction actively put in place just because

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
How many controllers does that DS4 bluetooth thing support? I bought it for the low price of like $29.99 with a DS4 and charging thing back in 2016, but you can have the OFFICIAL USB stick for the low, very low, best of all low prices many people are saying price of $59.99.

I'm actually kidding, but holy shit is that adapter going for way more than I paid with a controller years ago.

Edit: Ah, just 4. That knocks it down to $49.99

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The ps5 supports more but some are reserved for vr headset, camera, move controller/aim controller etc.

I think it's a limit on the Bluetooth chip more than a restriction actively put in place just because
Official BT specs limit connections to 7 devices to one host.

Xeonidus

ā€œFuck them kids.ā€
Oct 28, 2017
Probably doing their part to combat covid and social gatherings /s

I don't think many will need more than 4 but it's something they should definitely do of they can. More options are nice.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why youd want more than 2, let alone 4, controllers on a tv. (Borderlands was the last time I split screened and it was a nightmare)

Cmon really? If we were split screening on those 30" tube TV's with crappy resolution, then it would be at least tolerable these days when everyone has a TV the size of an entire living room wall at 4k and whatnot.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

tlsFbVMZJmXScHZ-800x450-noPad.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Cmon really? If we were split screening on those 30" tube TV's with crappy resolution, then it would be at least tolerable these days when everyone has a TV the size of an entire living room wall at 4k and whatnot.

So, again, explain why would you want more than 4 controllers?

And, more to the point, what kind of games actually support 5 local players? Which ones are you playing?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Didn't we just have a thread about how there are 8 player local games on XB1? Even if that's not exactly what OP is talking about, it's definitely there on the platform and as said the wireless dongle supports it. So I guess it's more they should open up the 8 player aspect to be native.

As for PS4/5, doesn't it support up to 8 as well?

And, more to the point, what kind of games actually support 5 local players? Which ones are you playing?

r/xboxone - Local multiplayer games with 6-8 players

40 votes and 24 comments so far on Reddit

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

I was responding to the part of your posts that asks why more than 2 controllers. Here Ill quote you again since you attempted to try and narrow it to 5+ only:

And theres very good reason, the answer is kids, and local multiplayer like there always has been. And theres plenty of games that support more than 2 players. Go google them yourself I dont have to bring you a list.

But the reasoning is the same as its always been.

Didn't we just have a thread about how there are 8 player local games on XB1?

Right... dudes out here acting like games with more than 2 player local are some 4 leaf clover tier of rare or something. They aren't. And last I checked people didn't stop having kids either. There's plenty of households with 2 or more kids in them.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

shared screen multiplayers like Brawlhalla and Bomberman, Runbow etc

Here's a curated list on Steam for more
store.steampowered.com

Steam Curator: More Than 4 Local Multiplayer

Why are we still limited to max 4 players in offline multiplayer games? We have powerful PCs, lots of controllers, big TVs and a comfy couch: here's a list of local multiplayer games for more than 4 friends!

There are various 4 players game as well like Crash Team Racing, Castle Crashers, Overcooked etc. You can play with kids or friends

yup! came to say this. Get the xbox wireless adapter.

I wasn't aware, but thanks for it. I will probably get it in the near future then

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't we just have a thread about how there are 8 player local games on XB1? Even if that's not exactly what OP is talking about, it's definitely there on the platform and as said the wireless dongle supports it. So I guess it's more they should open up the 8 player aspect to be native.

As for PS4/5, doesn't it support up to 8 as well?

yah, Xbox One and I believe Series S|X support up to 8 players too, in addition to Switch. Not sure PC max limit, maybe 8 with wireless adapter/DirectInput etc.

PS4 and 5 only support up to 4, that's why Bomberman R on PS4 is local 4 players

o152tDc.png

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
Warsaw
Not sure if that's the reason, but for now we can't recall many games with local co-op which might be suitable for more than 4 players. Even with a split-screen, dividing the screen into more than 4 subscreens will probably result in really small views.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if that's the reason, but for now we can't recall many games with local co-op which might be suitable for more than 4 players. Even with a split-screen, dividing the screen into more than 4 subscreens will probably result in really small views.

Even if that's the case, I don't see any harm allowing that anyway. Most of them are indie titles and utilize shared screen.

Here're some lists for Steam. Some includes shared keyboard/controllers or use phone as controllers, but even if you filter them out you can still find various titles with more than 4 controllers support.

(more than 8)

(up to 8)

(up to 7)

(up to 6)

(up to 5)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a technical problem that we'll never know about because they aren't open about these things.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably a technical problem that we'll never know about because they aren't open about these things.

Whatever their technical problem is, they should consider improving it, because 8 controllers support is a standard now for other platforms (just like Microsoft should add in gyro in their controller)

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
The recent update of Steam Client Beta supporting more than 4 Xbox controllers got me wondering why is Microsoft not updating xinput to support modern controller features and more than 4 controllers support
Not only does the current xbox wireless controller adapter currently support 8 controllers, the current xinput API has no (explicit) controller limit at all as there's no longer player number assignments and instead just an iterative list, and thus can support beyond 8 controllers (requiring them to be wired or networked).

Note this is the current API, this only applies to Windows 8 and 10 (and Xbox, though I don't think you are allowed to explicitly use more than 8 controllers there), not the old Vista/7 API.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I can think of two solid examples of when I have.

One, playing Johann Sebastian Joust on PS3 with seven Move controllers. I owned the game on PS4 too but that version was locked to four players (instead of seven) because the PS4 only supports four Bluetooth devices.

Two, more realistically for most people, playing WWE 2kWhatever Royal Rumble matches. PS4 versions were also locked to four players max. Which meant I always bought the game either on Steam or on Xbox (which, I think, supported six players?)

Two rare occasions when I had a ton of people together (and 100% not a concern in 2020/2021...) but they're my examples.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not only does the current xbox wireless controller adapter currently support 8 controllers, the current xinput API has no (explicit) controller limit at all as there's no longer player number assignments and instead just an iterative list, and thus can support beyond 8 controllers (requiring them to be wired or networked).

Note this is the current API, this only applies to Windows 8 and 10 (and Xbox, though I don't think you are allowed to explicitly use more than 8 controllers there), not the old Vista/7 API.

Is there a place where I can read more? this is the first time I read that current xinput API has no longer any controller limit and I want to find out more.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wireless bandwidth. Those new controllers on both sides are polled pretty hard to keep the latency low. PS4 controller last generation was the same which is why it's wireless latency was so well regarded.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
yah, Xbox One and I believe Series S|X support up to 8 players too, in addition to Switch. Not sure PC max limit, maybe 8 with wireless adapter/DirectInput etc.

PS4 and 5 only support up to 4, that's why Bomberman R on PS4 is local 4 players

o152tDc.png

PC should be be unlimited in theory, I've had 20+ controllers plugged in as a test. Bluetooth connections are a limit, but otherwise it seemed to work.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What games support 20+ controllers in the first place?! lol

I'm super into local multiplayer, I keep track of my collection's player numbers, there are a few on PC that go up to 16. I haven't tested it out but "Super Slime Arena" apparently supports infinite players. "Light Angles" is a game I developed actually, but it's a browser based game and only Firefox allows more than 4 controllers, and even then it caps Xbox controllers specifically to 4 unless you hack it.

Light Angles

This pic was from me testing my game, I got up to 24 I think. Don't ask me what mess of configuration I had to do for all these types, lol, now I have more Xbox controllers to make it simpler.

8i0wgujl.jpg

If you're interested in high playercount games I'm also working on a new browser based game called Party 32, lol

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm super into local multiplayer, I keep track of my collection's player numbers, there are a few on PC that go up to 16. I haven't tested it out but "Super Slime Arena" apparently supports infinite players. "Light Angles" is a game I developed actually, but it's a browser based game and only Firefox allows more than 4 controllers, and even then it caps Xbox controllers specifically to 4 unless you hack it.

Light Angles

This pic was from me testing my game, I got up to 24 I think. Don't ask me what mess of configuration I had to do for all these types, lol, now I have more Xbox controllers to make it simpler.

8i0wgujl.jpg

If you're interested in high playercount games I'm also working on a new browser based game called Party 32, lol

Wow, 24 controllers? You're gonna need a big house and a projector to play with that amount of people. That's a lot of controllers I wish I have, lol.
Currently have the packed in Joy Con, 1 Steam Controller, 1 Dual Shock 4, 1 Dualsense and 1 8bitdo controller, and I intend to buy XBox controllers next.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow, 24 controllers? You're gonna need a big house and a projector to play with that amount of people. That's a lot of controllers I wish I have, lol.
Currently have the packed in Joy Con, 1 Steam Controller, 1 Dual Shock 4, 1 Dualsense and 1 8bitdo controller, and I intend to buy XBox controllers next.

I go out of my way to host gatherings šŸ¤· more controllers and party games seems like a better use of money than collecting a huge backlog of single player games to sit in cases on shelves/digital libraries unplayed šŸ¤” not that uh, I don't do a little bit of that.

I guess yeah, logistically a huge TV is necessary, but TVs at venues are only getting bigger and more common lol.