• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The best years of mecha are behind it. It was fun while it lasted.

More generally perception wise in the west, I feel like Power Rangers may have tainted the mass public's perception of it a bit, which was mostly negative. Transformers popularity comes and goes but that is a pretty different thing.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GETTER ROBO will also always have a place in my heart it's like Doom but scaled up x100 lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The MC in that was like 14 right? I never really watched it. I remember some controversy about a random nude scene with one of the underage girls too.
Been eons since i watched it, but i can't remember anyone over 14 being part of the cast. Tangentially related the Gundam Seed and Eureka 7 have fun ps2 games

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that just puts me off a bit, and always has. If you aged up all of the characters 5-10 years it would be so much better.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, that just puts me off a bit, and always has. If you aged up all of the characters 5-10 years it would be so much better.

what's interesting about the OG Gundam is that I'm pretty sure that Tomino WANTED the protag to be older, but that was probably to satisfy the toy company that sponsored the original series. The original design for Gundam itself was actually black without much striking color, but that didn't look good for a toy. Amuro in the novelization of the original series, which was written by the show creator himself, is actually an adult that is enlisted in the military.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
I don't really watch a lot of mecha anime but I did enjoy Gundam Unicorn and Narrative. And Aldnoah.Zero but only because of the action and music.

My guess why they aren't popular in the west is because they try to appeal to a shounen audience. The main protagonists are all teenagers. Also that the mechas are way over the top, in terms of design and how they are animated. Transformations, secondary forms and all that. Some prefer if it was more realistic and believable.

People that watch shounen anime in the west aren't interested in war dramas and those into war dramas get turned off by the shounen elements.

I am looking forward to the Gundam Hathaway movies myself though.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's funny, my impression from visiting some Battletech forums a few years back was that at least some of them seemed to think that it was only them Japanese giant robots that were impractical, but their own shit was super realistic, because a bipedal building-sized robot suddenly become realistic if it is non-humanoid and less fancy-looking.

I wonder if that's more down to a hard vs soft sci-fi approach. I can imagine that some people might prefer that they take a more grounded approach that tries to find the right balance between fantastical and plausible (as in hard sci-fi), whereas others would prefer they not let that attempt at compromise take up time that could be spent on more interesting aspects (as in soft sci-fi).

Tanks with legs are somewhat unrealistic in either case, but it could be down to whether one chooses to stick as close as possible to "what would tanks with legs reasonable look like" approach or think "None of this is realistic, so let's just go all the way".

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It think a large part of it. is trying to mindlessly escalate on first gundam's success. It was a big deal and a major plot point in the anime that everyone was in training or new on White Base and that added to the tension on wether or not they'd survive. Even Amuro was being carried by the the Gundam's power in the early series.

But the Characters grew and things changed to suit. In the endgame Amuro was actually running with an outdated suit and staying in the game due to skill

But a lot of that was lost in seed with stuff like seed mode and magically being able to disable suits with precise shots to not kill anyone.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
what's interesting about the OG Gundam is that I'm pretty sure that Tomino WANTED the protag to be older, but that was probably to satisfy the toy company that sponsored the original series. The original design for Gundam itself was actually black without much striking color, but that didn't look good for a toy. Amuro in the novelization of the original series, which was written by the show creator himself, is actually an adult that is enlisted in the military.
It's too bad about the protagonist, but they seem to have been absolutely right about the gundam design. I'm not part of the gunpla scene, but I figured those guys just want cool looking gundam, and probably don't give a shit about the pilots or their ages. Am I wrong?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's too bad about the protagonist, but they seem to have been absolutely right about the gundam design. I'm not part of the gunpla scene, but I figured those guys just want cool looking gundam, and probably don't give a shit about the pilots or their ages. Am I wrong?

nah, Char is probably top 5 in the most popular anime antagonists/protagonists in Japan.

they did end up using the black design in Zeta Gundam though. it's pretty sick. first Gunpla kit I ever built.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that's more down to a hard vs soft sci-fi approach. I can imagine that some people might prefer that they take a more grounded approach that tries to find the right balance between fantastical and plausible (as in hard sci-fi), whereas others would prefer they not let that attempt at compromise take up time that could be spent on more interesting aspects (as in soft sci-fi).

Tanks with legs are somewhat unrealistic in either case, but it could be down to whether one chooses to stick as close as possible to "what would tanks with legs reasonable look like" approach or think "None of this is realistic, so let's just go all the way".

I'll say that it depends on the tone for me. If you're going for a serious war drama tone, I want the hard sci-fi as much as possible, like the Earth side of Aldnoah, Patlabor, or Pacific Rim. If it's light-hearted comedy, than go nuts with super robo like Gurren Lagann.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That's a broad discussion. Using your example, however, I'm inclined to disagree. Smaller units are generally preferable to fewer, larger units from a militaristic view. Smaller units are more affordable to produce from the outset, and since an investment is spread across several units (instead of a single) expensive unit, relatively speaking, any losses incurred will also be spread, and perhaps ineffective, since the attacks itself will be spread. It will also depend on the role of the spacecraft in question. I'll agree on the 'manned' part. To the overall point of effectiveness, however, I don't think that can be established. Additionally, anything set in the far future will be difficult to analyse. I can say with certainty that mechs will always be garbage. Giant mechs, at least. Man-sized, remote controlled or AI controlled mechs could be useful in a few instances. Say, for example, in clearing mine fields or in attempting to disarm explosives.
i don't fancy myself an expert, but everything I've read or seen on the matter suggest to me that interstellar space combat will involve absolutely ugly heaps of junk shooting each other from mind-boggling distances.

A very clinical affair.

No fancy dogfights, no fancy star-fighters.

Just...boring.

Because space is stupidly huge. Even an asteroid field, which is commonly depicted as something you have to weave through actually has every asteroid spaced out by... what was it again, hundreds of thousands of kilometers? Maybe millions? Don't remember.

Space battles in popular fiction involve naval ships in space deploying airplanes in space but with pew pew lasers and well, in space. That most certainly won't be it.

OP
OP
saladdays

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Not true at all, the mechs themselves are often tied into the personality of the pilots, and Gundam in general tends to be character-focused. The attachment to the characters is exactly why Gunpla succeeds

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've tried to get into so much mecha anime and the only ones that grabbed me were the shorter ones. The longer ones are so fucking boring with the shitty melodrama and middle school level knowledge of politics. I love me some big metal boys slapping each other around but most mecha anime in my experience is not worth the commitment to get to that.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to get into so much mecha anime and the only ones that grabbed me were the shorter ones. The longer ones are so fucking boring with the shitty melodrama and middle school level knowledge of politics. I love me some big metal boys slapping each other around but most mecha anime in my experience is not worth the commitment to get to that.

Did you like Thunderbolt? Would that count as short enough?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt definitely falls into "middle school level politics", moreso than any other Gundam series. Like, by far.

But it doesn't even try to actually get into the politics? Always felt it was about the rivalry between Darryl and Io, like intensely personal. Unless you meant the cult stuff from the second season. But that's why I'm asking these questions in the first place.

OP
OP
saladdays

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
But it doesn't even try to actually get into the politics? Always felt it was about the rivalry between Darryl and Io, like intensely personal. Unless you meant the cult stuff from the second season. But that's why I'm asking these questions in the first place.
It doesn't go hard into the politics of the situation but the moral statement of the show is still that war is bad and that all sides of the conflict are the same etc etc etc. Most Gundam shows have some level of hope for the future, etc, but Thunderbolt devolves into full on South Park-level centrism and grimdark ridiculousness

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Serious military dramas are probably my favorite genre in anime, especially mecha/space ones, but most people don't seem interested in either at all.

I would kill so badly for a mecha equivalent of LotGH. Just a crazy long, character filled space opera that took its setting and everything as serious as possible. Basically Anime Battletech.

Gundam and Macross are great and a huge part of my childhood, but even they were fully wrapped up in magical/mystical pilots and more often than not veering closer to Giant Robo stuff than being realistically grounded.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't go hard into the politics of the situation but the moral statement of the show is still that war is bad and that all sides of the conflict are the same etc etc etc. Most Gundam shows have some level of hope for the future, etc, but Thunderbolt devolves into full on South Park-level centrism and grimdark ridiculousness

It takes place during a war, I don't know what you'd like them to say other than "war sucks man."

If anything, Thunderbolt doesn't even try to portray any kind of centrist message, and both movies are entirely squared on "soldiers doing their jobs in shitty circumstances."

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Serious military dramas are probably my favorite genre in anime, especially mecha/space ones, but most people don't seem interested in either at all.

I would kill so badly for a mecha equivalent of LotGH. Just a crazy long, character filled space opera that took its setting and everything as serious as possible. Basically Anime Battletech.

Gundam and Macross are great and a huge part of my childhood, but even they were fully wrapped up in magical/mystical pilots and more often than not veering closer to Giant Robo stuff than being realistically grounded.
I love LoGH but it was not an action show and I think involving a mecha component to that type of show would require more emphasis on action to the detriment of other aspects of the show. Mecha shows need more focus on pilots, where LoGH's space battles worked because they focused largely on commanders

OP
OP
saladdays

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
It takes place during a war, I don't know what you'd like them to say other than "war sucks man."

If anything, Thunderbolt doesn't even try to portray any kind of centrist message, but both movies are entirely squared on "soldiers doing their job in shitty circumstances."
"War sucks man" is the statement of basically all Gundam shows, the problem is that Thunderbolt is inarticulate and incredibly extreme in how it does it's messaging. Compare it to 0080 or even 0079 and it's like comparing a puddle to an ocean.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"FEDERATION AND ZEON ARE JUST AS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD"

This shit gets tiring in Gundam.

One side murdered entire space colonies just to drop them on fucking Australia.

Like, fuck they committed atrocity to commit another atrocity.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The opposite is also sometimes true, I'll add. Where media is too conservative with how it presents mobility.

Potato quality:

Deep down you don't want it to be copy pasta.

Yeah plate armor is slick, most people don't realize paratrooper gear in world war 2 was twice as heavy

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i don't fancy myself an expert, but everything I've read or seen on the matter suggest to me that interstellar space combat will involve absolutely ugly heaps of junk shooting each other from mind-boggling distances.

A very clinical affair.

No fancy dogfights, no fancy star-fighters.

Just...boring.

Because space is stupidly huge. Even an asteroid field, which is commonly depicted as something you have to weave through actually has every asteroid spaced out by... what was it again, hundreds of thousands of kilometers? Maybe millions? Don't remember.

Space battles in popular fiction involve naval ships in space deploying airplanes in space but with pew pew lasers and well, in space. That most certainly won't be it.
There are a couple problems with this.

The most important being that objects in space move. Like a cluster of gears. Which may not be a problem in empty space, but, if you have a target fixed on the moon of a planet or on a planetoid, the further away you are situated from the target, the more complex your calculations need to be if you want to land your hit (accurately). Missing is bad, because you may just accidentally hit something else you never intended to hit.

The second problem being the necessity of land units and manpower. If every conflict could be resolved by nuking the opposition into the ground, sending slugs their way from several light years away might do the trick. The likeliest goal would probably be to destroy hostile units and manufacturing plants, and then to deploy onto the planet in order to occupy it. Spaceships are necessary in order to transport large quantities of manpower and land units so that occupation can follow.

When I talk about jet-sized spacecraft, I don't mean a spacecraft filling the role of fighters. What I mean is a smaller target carrying some analogue to nukes or heavy weaponry, similar to modern day drones. Far more accurate, far less prone to accidental genocide.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I just recently got into watching more mecha stuff. Largely started with Gundam and, I've watched 79, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, and War in the Pocket, and the dips in quality across the 5 of those was kinda jarring. Loved Zeta and War in the Pocket, and I thought 79 was alright, but was extremely mixed on CCA and ZZ.

Fun genre, but I think in the case of Gundam I feel like a big thing these shows suffer from is pacing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love LoGH but it was not an action show and I think involving a mecha component to that type of show would require more emphasis on action to the detriment of other aspects of the show. Mecha shows need more focus on pilots, where LoGH's space battles worked because they focused largely on commanders
I agree and disagree. Overall setup would need to be a bit different for sure, but at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing a more "realistic" application of mechs similar to that of fleet battles. While the focus on individual pilots and the remarkable prowess of individuals is a big draw of mech series, it would still be cool to see them utilized in more big picture strategic ways, the same way you see LotGH use fighter pilots or capital ships.

Basically throw in a bunch more Schenkopp type characters that we get to see in action every so often. And who don't always make it out alive.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'd say this is basically where I'm at. They feel too drawn out, and there's not enough action to capture a mainstream audience. That's just my perception but I feel like a lot of people are in that same boat. The last Mecha anime I watched was probably G Gundam, which I loved. I'd be open to suggestions on good Mecha anime to watch though.
Super Robot Wars is the gateway drug to mecha shows. You're bound to walk away thinking at least one of the shows looks worth watching, but who knows if the end result will appeal. It got my interest in Yamato and shiver Cross Ange at least.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of dumb kids in giant robots, and most (not all) mecha anime is about dumb kids. Simple as that.

Zero interest in watching any more shit about annoying kids and teenagers screaming all their lines.

me: let's see what's going on in mecha these da-
7ed.gif

And people wonder why I gave up on anime.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
To me, I think most gundam/mech animes typically have poor balance. There are exceptions like gurren laggan but with Gundam, the politics or slow moving sections outside of the mechas were either too serious and not entertaining.

It's kind of jarring when you see cool stylized samurai looking robots cut to boring politics. This can be done well and I'd love to see more serious, realistic takes but if thats the direction, go all out and have that transfer to the robot sections as well. Focus on the realistic details like not having a flashy cartoon war machine. Maybe focus on just how Massive and heavy these things are instead of like a guy in armor. The physics of space fighting or the real time trauma of the pilot.

Oct 25, 2017
I love a good mecha anime. Macross and Gundam have some of the best female characters, plus there's Evangelion, Escaflowne and Rahxephon, which has my favorite anime romance in it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The original Seed series was tolerable, but man Destiny just ruined the whole thing.

There are some diamonds in the rough in the genre, even in Gundam such as 08th MS Team, 0080 and 0083. Also even in Seed Astray and Stargazer are quite good, but unfortunately shackled to the Seed universe. Though not as good as the likes of Evangelion, Escaflowne and Rahxephon, Fafner in the Azure is a good mecha series.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of dumb kids in giant robots, and most (not all) mecha anime is about dumb kids. Simple as that.

Zero interest in watching any more shit about annoying kids and teenagers screaming all their lines.

And people wonder why I gave up on anime.
I mean Darling in the Franxx is a bad anime, and it's hardly representative of modern anime as a whole

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just wanted to see what the hype was about when this came out. Girlfriend walked in on this part and I had to explain that it wasn't what it looked like, but it really was. Series was immediately dropped.
The piloting concept of the show was pretty bad. Most of these modern mecha shows usually do not have a bad 1st half, but the 2nd half's are just such a train wreck. It is like the writers do not know how to stick the landing.