• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
When will we get a Lois adaptation half as good as
latest
I like how Lois has an identity with purple eys both in the animated movies and comics.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I liked Teri Hatcher

Dean Cain is my favorite Superman after Christopher Reeves. Pretty much consistently think "Superman" when I read or see either of those two.
Speaking of, was Lois and Clark actually any good? I remember it being the only version of Superman that caught my eye for whatever reason, but my memory of the show has gone and I have no idea if it holds up.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of, was Lois and Clark actually any good? I remember it being the only version of Superman that caught my eye for whatever reason, but my memory of the show has gone and I have no idea if it holds up.

Well, if memory serves, the show was hampered by TV show budgets, Superman rarely fought a villainwho was a match for him but Lois and Clark had amazing chemistry

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
First season was great largely due to the Clark/Lois/Lex triangle. John Shea was terrific.

Other series have highlights but it becomes very soapy.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Of only the DCEU? At the moment it's Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn.

In all of DC? It'd probably still be those two plus Batgirl and like Poison Ivy.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if memory serves, the show was hampered by TV show budgets, Superman rarely fought a villainwho was a match for him but Lois and Clark had amazing chemistry

That's what I remember as well. The Superman parts probably haven't aged well but it was regarded as a good romance story that had a fairly large following.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it for the first time back around the release of BvS and it actually finally made Superman as a character click for me.
Dean Cain is easily the best Superman and has probably the best Clark as well.

It obviously has the tv format issues especially being 10ish years before Smallville even but it more than makes up for it in charm, characterization, writing and actors.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You agree that Lois is supposed to be clever yes? And you say her portrayal was insulting, and hand wave off the fact that she figured out she needed the spear. She knew the alien was from Clarks ship. She knew Clark was weak to the spear. It's not hard to put two and two together.
She isn't portrayed as clever, she just knows things because the plot needs her to. At worst, she's learning things that the audience has known for the duration of the films, which just makes her entire character seem redundant instead of the smart investigator that plot is trying to present her as

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, it is just sexism.
Why? Is it better that she be portrayed as perfect? In modern DC comics Bendis and Rucka, who are both widely lauded for writing women well, have leaned into it. It's a personality quirk. She's the best reporter in the world and a top tier investigator that needs spell check. I don't see why that's sexist.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She uncovered Luthor's diabolical plan.
The diabolical plan to frame Superman for shooting up an African village with bullets

"It was Superman! He destroyed the village!

"Okay ma'am well there were bullet and shell casings scattered across the area as well as bullet ho-"

"IT WAS SUPERMAN'S GUN!!!"

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How could anyone dislike a strong female character that *checks notes* gave up on her profession over the death of her BF and then went on a diatribe about how she wasnt good enough for him, (because every strong woman is obviously dependent on the validation of their bfs to be great characters)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How could anyone dislike a strong female character that *checks notes* gave up on her profession over the death of her BF and then went on a diatribe about how she wasnt good enough for him, (because every strong woman is obviously dependent on the validation of their bfs to be great characters)?

I have not seen Justice League... is that what happens?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I never liked Lois Lane in any incarnation. Wait I take that back she was great as The Red Tornado/ Superman's mentor in Earth 2

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
In BvS it was clear that Zack thought of her as a burden, by then he was literally just writing her into scenes because she hadn't been plot-relevant for like 45 minutes. He needed her to be mopey when he died, that was about it

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Is it better that she be portrayed as perfect? In modern DC comics Bendis and Rucka, who are both widely lauded for writing women well, have leaned into it. It's a personality quirk. She's the best reporter in the world and a top tier investigator that needs spell check. I don't see why that's sexist.
That she isn't able to spell normal words despite language being her profession, while her male coworkers can, is sexism. There is nothing bad about writing her competent like The New Adventures of Lois and Clarke did.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That she isn't able to spell normal words despite language being her profession, while her male coworkers can, is sexism. There is nothing bad about writing her competent like The New Adventures of Lois and Clarke did.
She is incredibly competent. She just doesn't spell well. I know people like that in real life (men and women). Most characters have weaknesses. Tony Stark is incredibly competent, but is probe to addiction. Bruce Wayne is competent, but has major trust issues. Competent =/= flawless. Also, in the comics it's typically difficult words she spells wrong. She's not mixing up things like their/they're/there.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
She is incredibly competent. She just doesn't spell well. I know people like that in real life (men and women). Most characters have weaknesses. Tony Stark is incredibly competent, but is probe to addiction. Bruce Wayne is competent, but has major trust issues. Competent =/= flawless. Also, in the comics it's typically difficult words she spells wrong. She's not mixing up things like their/they're/there.
Now imagine if Tony Stark's weakness was the inability to read technical diagrams. You can easily give her a weakness that isn't related to a major part of her job.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine if Tony Stark's weakness was the inability to read technical diagrams. You can easily give her a weakness that isn't related to a major part of her job.
In the 1940s spelling likely was important for a reporter, although given her skills I'm sure Perry White would have been ok with it. In 2019, with spell check, I doubt poor spelling skills would hold back a writer much whatsoever.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it for the first time back around the release of BvS and it actually finally made Superman as a character click for me.
Dean Cain is easily the best Superman and has probably the best Clark as well.

It obviously has the tv format issues especially being 10ish years before Smallville even but it more than makes up for it in charm, characterization, writing and actors.

wow, both of those scenes were fantastic.
this is honestly making me want to watch the series now, is it all like this?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
You could honestly remove her from BVS and would make little difference all she does is confirm what we already know about Lex and a stupid spear shit

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of journalists have poor spelling or grammar. I was one of them for years. That's what copy editors are for.