• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lois Lane is pretty much THE female character for DC Comics, she was introduced as Superman's love interest from the very beginning, there have been takes on her that have been wonderful. She's been feisty, a damsel-in-distress, a no nonsense reporter, but she does all those roles so well.

Which is why Zack Snyder's take on her is so disappointing. Lois is clueless, helpless and just tends to show up everywhere and exists for Superman to save, in fact, she seems to be the only human who he likes in Zack Snyder's universe.

Now, here's the thing. I don't have a problem with Lois having to get saved by Superman, that's a plot device as old as the character itself. It ALWAYS happens, but Snyder took out Lois's feisty attitude. (See Superman II where she knocks Ursa into a pit after she loses her powers) But Snyder just uses Lois to do whatever the hell the plot needs her to do. (Oh, this spear is going to kill Superman. I'll just throw it in the water. ...oh, it's needed again? Let me dive back in and get in despite having no way of knowing that it's needed!)

It's honestly quite insulting to who is arguably THE leading lady of comics.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
A bit beside your point but I feel like she's been miscast the last few iterations. I really like Amy Adams but I wasn't really a fan of her Lois aside from the strictly reporter stuff. Kate Bosworth was a total whiff on the character imo.

Honestly, Lois in Smallville was the last really good Lois (aside from animation) in my opinion. And a lot of that was because they did embrace her strengths instead of making her a damsel in distress, though there was enough of that too.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A bit beside your point but I feel like she's been miscast the last few iterations. I really like Amy Adams but I wasn't really a fan of her Lois aside from the strictly reporter stuff. Kate Bosworth was a total whiff on the character imo.

Margot Kidder is still the best live-action Lois.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't say I care for Lois much outside of the tv shows Smallville and Adventures of Superman, my hazy memory, prefer the former but was the most recent to me.

Can't remember much of the old films, didn't watch the animated stuff.

Apart from a damsel or a one off Superman first showing she seems pretty useless in modern superhero action films.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The problem that is that everything she discovers over both films the audience already knows.

We know who Clark/Superman is in the first so we don't need her to explain as it's going on or after the fact, and in their second her entire plot arc is to discover and explain to the audience that actually Lex Luther is behind everything after he's already done what he set out to do. Like, yeah, no shit, we've seen Jesse Eissenberg be evil for the entire film.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You agree that Lois is supposed to be clever yes? And you say her portrayal was insulting, and hand wave off the fact that she figured out she needed the spear. She knew the alien was from Clarks ship. She knew Clark was weak to the spear. It's not hard to put two and two together.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
She actually did something in MoS even if it was with help from holo Jor-El. MoS was a terrible Superman movie and I really dislike Amy Adams as Lois Lane not to mention the nonsensical romance she has with Clark in the DCEU but she still did something.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Chloe Sullivan was the best Lois
Absolutely not. She caved to Lionel in the early seasons and yeah she turned things around but the damage was done. Then, she basically became Clark's smart tech person with magical healing powers and Braniac skills which in turn made Clark into an idiot. They did a relatively good job with Lois in Smallville and showed what made her different from Chloe.

Also forever tainted by Allison Mack being a sex cult leader.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
time to introduce Lois Lane: Super Milf

CnWexZ9XYAIZVEc.jpg

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I liked Teri Hatcher

Dean Cain is my favorite Superman after Christopher Reeves. Pretty much consistently think "Superman" when I read or see either of those two.

Jan 13, 2018
When did Lois Lane get her Pulitzer, and what was the article about, does anyone know? My Superman knowledge is pretty sparse, but I seem to recall when I was a kid that Lois was constantly in pursuit of the Pulitzer (and worried that Kent would scoop her out of it first). Then in Man of Steel, Lois is introduced as having already won it before Kent even walks in the door of the Daily Planet.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Margot Kidder is still the best live-action Lois.
The famous reporter who doesn't know how to spell? That is how Lois Lane is introduced in that Superman movie, asking how to spell massacre and being corrected on the spelling of rapist. At least Snyder made Lois Lane capable of spelling.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The trifecta of characters I'm still salty about the DC movies botching so hard are Lois, Lex, and Supes himself.

But if I wanted to craft a hot-take for why Lois is so worthless in the DCEU, it's because Snyder was simply staying in line with his muse Ayn Rand's use for strong female characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
The famous reporter who doesn't know how to spell? That is how Lois Lane is introduced in that Superman movie, asking how to spell massacre and being corrected on the spelling of rapist. At least Snyder made Lois Lane capable of spelling.

That's actually a thing for Lois. She has a book running at the moment and its been flagged by Perry White that she's a fantastic reporter but a terrible writer.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real women don't have legs for days like Lois Lane had in the cartoons. I think that's the problem.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The trifecta of characters I'm still salty about the DC movies botching so hard are Lois, Lex, and Supes himself.

But if I wanted to craft a hot-take for why Lois is so worthless in the DCEU, it's because Snyder was simply staying in line with his muse Ayn Rand's use for strong female characters.

That they're only "strong" until a Big Strapping Man(tm) rescues them, at which point they swoon and become Baby Factories?

So does 40% of the country. As long as they aren't reading me political spiels, I don't care who they vote for. I've met Kevin Sorbo several times, and he's been wonderful. Robert Patrick as well.

Must be nice being privileged enough to have this mentality...

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'm out of date here...

Who's Ayn Rand?
Tolkien for philosophical illiterates.

Seriously, though, she's the founder of Objectivism, the ultimate, individualist, "fuck-you-I-got-mine" philosophy who wrote several fiction novels which were based around her political and social ideas. Essentially tales of "exceptional" individuals rising up and throwing off the shackles of the corrupt, lesser, common people who would seek to restrict them. Women are treated especially poorly in her work. Zack Snyder is a well-established fan, with a movie version of one of Rand's novels being a pet project of his that has thankfully languished in developmental hell.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tolkien for philosophical illiterates.

Seriously, though, she's the founder of Objectivism, the ultimate, individualist, "fuck-you-I-got-mine" philosophy who wrote several fiction novels which were based around her political and social ideas. Essentially tales of "exceptional" individuals rising up and throwing off the shackles of the corrupt, lesser, common people who would seek to restrict them. Women are treated especially poorly in her work. Zack Snyder is a well-established fan, with a movie version of one of Rand's novels being a pet project of his that has thankfully languished in developmental hell.

That.... explains a lot.